PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Police chasing PC

stenver
2010-05-31, 06:18 PM
Now one of my players really managed to piss off the largest cities Arcane Tower. He did, however, miraculously managed to escape the initial chase, while he was disguised. I wont bother to write the details.

Now, the PC failed on his initial will save vs scry. And a few minutes later he failed the will save vs Greater Scry(Tower needed time to find the right greater scry scroll)

He got caught changing disguises through scry.

Now, what this means for him is a heated chase for the next 13 hours by the whole arcane tower

(a sidenote though that most of the mages and especially high mages have left the tower recently due to the war)

If he miraculously manages to make it to day 2.. then the next day city will have posters of both of his disguises all over the city and he will be a notorious hunted criminal. To make things worse, he has every reason to BE inside the city.

So please tell me all the possible ways:
1. What would arcane tower do to catch him, besides scry and message to communicate. Remember, they only had "Academic" spells prepared, they didnt expect any action.
2. What would Military, Militia, Arcane tower(now with their full might), secret police and The Church do to catch a notorious criminal on the NEXT day.(I already know the scry/teleport)

AslanCross
2010-05-31, 06:54 PM
Spells like Maze and Summon Monster could be justifiably "academic"---they could be spells for research. Wall of Force could also be used, as it could be an effective barrier for experiments gone wrong. Forcecage and other subduing spells for escaping creatures as well.

gallagher
2010-05-31, 10:09 PM
even though tehy were preparing for academic things, since the mages were out with the military for a war, why the hell wouldnt they have a teleport prepared incase something went wrong or they needed to report something?

the guys at the tower can easily cast a message, then moments later have a wizard teleport to the approximate location of teh escapee. they then scry scry and scry some more, or they might hire a ranger to track him. urban ranger in this case.

Ranos
2010-05-31, 10:30 PM
Does the military/militia/secret police/church really care ? I mean, it's just one criminal, why devote the resources of the entire city to find him ? Anyway, yeah, if your mages are high enough level, scry and die is the name of the game. Don't forget to apply the modifiers for knowledge/connection.

A TPK doesn't make for a very good story though, so if I was you after a few heated battles with the guards/teleported goons I'd throw him an escape line. Have him stumble upon some bunker - probably an extraplanar space - which might provide him with protection but is (insert next plot hook here).

WarKitty
2010-05-31, 10:41 PM
Seconded on Maze/Forcecage/Wall of Force. Depending on how exactly he managed to tick them off, they could have a geas put on him instead of actually killing him, then send him off to do their work.

Lamech
2010-06-01, 12:27 AM
Do they want him dead? Or do they need him alive?
If they need him alive "No disintigration." If they want him dead they should cast nightmare on him. A lot. That should kill him quite dead.

Scry and die is great fun. And I don't think the wizards will go charging into combat with out preperations, so they won't have much in the way of first day attacks.

stenver
2010-06-01, 05:20 AM
Thank you

*Forcecage is an exellent idea and very academic.
*Nightmare is also a very good attritition spell. Love it.
*Summon Monster are academic, and they casted them during his epic escape.
*Maze is unfortunately too high level for that tower right now. All the high mages are having fun.
*Wall of force and forcecage are both good. However, i do not understand the wall of force size.
Effect: Wall whose area is up to one 10-ft. square/level
Does this mean that a 9th level caster would have 90 ft square?

And finally, Geas. Perfect.

Any more suggestions?

They hadnt prepared anything for war, because its not an usual war, but it would take too long to explain. In anothers words, no battlespells, only researrch and study.

Heliomance
2010-06-01, 05:27 AM
No, a 9th level caster would have nine 10-foot squares which he could arrange however he wished. They'd probably all have to be touching each other, though.

stenver
2010-06-01, 05:33 AM
ee... nine 10 foot square means:

9*10 feet as in 9 feet horistonally and 10 vertically?
or
9 squares, each of them 10 square feet?

hewhosaysfish
2010-06-01, 06:21 AM
Imagine a 10x10 square.
Now imagine another one just like it. (If you like, you can think of them as one 10x20 rectangle).
Imagine 7 more, for a total of 9. (If you like, you can think of them as one 10x90 rectangle)

These are nine 10-ft squares

Touchy
2010-06-01, 06:34 AM
Unless these wizards are simply going to play with them, he's probably going to have to planeshift for awhile, so he has a much better chance of making his willsave.

stenver
2010-06-01, 06:52 AM
But the force wall, You can basically completely surround the creature? just punt 9 cubes around the enemy?

weenie
2010-06-01, 07:32 AM
What did he do to capture the attention of the whole tower? Unless he tried to kill their leader or something, I think people would rather just put a price on his head and be done with it. Chasing criminals isn't all that profitable..

Critical
2010-06-01, 07:45 AM
What did he do to capture the attention of the whole tower? Unless he tried to kill their leader or something, I think people would rather just put a price on his head and be done with it. Chasing criminals isn't all that profitable..

What he said. Plus, who will care to search for him, if he has so many disguises? Can't he just adopt another one? I think no sane bounty hunter would attempt to hunt him down without a very solid price.

Optimystik
2010-06-01, 08:28 AM
Does the military/militia/secret police/church really care ? I mean, it's just one criminal, why devote the resources of the entire city to find him ?

It depends on what he did:

http://www.wizards.com/mtg/images/daily/webcomics/EN_MTG_Comic_3_FTF_Pt1_03.jpg

In the above example, practically half a guild mobilizes on suspicion of theft.
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Multiverse/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/feature2/1705#

stenver
2010-06-01, 09:59 AM
What did he do, first he lied his way into the tower, second he stole an item from the tower and replaced it with an extremely cheap copy. Then, when he got caught, a higher member of the tower spotted him. Demanded answers, to which he replied with slay living spell.

The wizard miracolously succeeded the save, so he is rallying the whole tower to chase after him.

It is a proud tower and he is the first one who would so boldly walk into the arcane tower, steal AND try to kill a superior member. The tower wants to make an example. Besides, he still has the item he stole from the tower.

As for the secret police - They will go after the bounty that is rised substancially after that last trick.

The militia - The arcane tower has most of the militia in their pockets. They will mark him as a dangerous and armed notorious expert lier and disguiser criminal.

The Church - well i really just wanted to see if there are any divine spells that would help in the chase, as i am seeing a confortation in the future between the PC and The Church

Same goes for Military. Which has it all - divine, arcane, invocations and whatnot. Just wanted more information.