PDA

View Full Version : What to buy?

olelia
2010-05-31, 06:19 PM
I've had this silly 50$ amazon gift certificate gathering dust...and at this rate am never going to use it. So...appealing to the powers of which that are known as giantitp forum users, what should I use it on? My main hobby is Renaissance reenactment. I like fantasy and sci-fi books. Also, I play the computer, PS2,xbox, and gamecube. If the price goes over $50 I am completely fine with that...I just need ideas :smallfrown:.

Dr. Bath
2010-05-31, 06:29 PM
Buy Scott Pilgrim.

It is pretty sweet!

Pocketa
2010-05-31, 09:06 PM
Video games:

Animal Crossing
Katamari Damacy
Kingdom Hearts

Standardized things are usually better than nonstandardized things when it comes to Amazon. Movies, gift cards, CD's, DVD's, etc. Dungeons and Dragons handbooks, OOtS compilations, etc.

Do not buy makeup, clothes, costumes, anything that you would prefer to test IRL first (hats, swords, etc.) or anything volatile or illegal. Also, no liquids, and no perfume! Also, no Uggs, jeggings, or bodysuits, because I don't like them.

Leecros
2010-05-31, 09:17 PM
if you have a manly Computer get Dragon Age:Origins.

Dr. Bath
2010-05-31, 09:17 PM
Not even morph suits??? They're so cooool!!!

On the topic of vidja games, since you like fantasy/sci fi, I would heartily recommend Time Splitters, any of them really, but Future Perfect has by far the best story. Great split-screen, great dialogue, fun fast-paced action, and truckloads of monkeys and other ridiculous characters (to whit: A goldfish controlled robot, a snowman on a flying carpet, a whale in a top hat, a man wearing cardboard boxes pretending to be a robot etc etc). And it's only about $20 by the looks of things!

Maximum Zersk
2010-05-31, 09:23 PM
Video games:

Animal Crossing

Oh dear GOD no! That game is freakin' creepy!

Dr. Bath
2010-05-31, 09:27 PM

I take it you've read the terrible secret of animal crossing (http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Animal%20Crossing/index.html) then?

Lev
2010-05-31, 09:29 PM
http://cdn3.ioffer.com/img/item/100/708/371/EgZQsiyOuHt9Am5.jpg

P.S. R4's are not illegal.

Kroy
2010-05-31, 09:32 PM

Gamecube one is frckin amazing. It is especially good if you get 3 or 4 other friends to get it and you get into it together.

Maximum Zersk
2010-05-31, 09:33 PM
I take it you've read the terrible secret of animal crossing (http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Animal%20Crossing/index.html) then?

Right now, actually. :smallwink:

Gamecube one is frckin amazing. It is especially good if you get 3 or 4 other friends to get it and you get into it together.

I know. I have the Gamecube version.

Pocketa
2010-05-31, 09:33 PM

I have.

And now, I love you.

olelia
2010-05-31, 09:59 PM
Ok...will try to catch as many comments as possible.

Scott pilgram...possibility never though of buying comic books.

Own Kingdom Hearts...Animal crossing..ya..little creepy...I had forgotten about katamari...that's a good possibility.

Already own Dragon age origins :smallbiggrin:

Hmm..r4...tasty...

Thanx for the quick comments so far...giving me food for thought.

Pocketa
2010-05-31, 10:50 PM
Books are also good. They rarely come super-damaged, so they might even be the best bet.

Sneak
2010-05-31, 10:53 PM
Buy the cheapest pygmy marmoset you can find.

Barring that, get as much music as you can for $50. Probably around five albums. Preferably good music.

Leecros
2010-05-31, 11:24 PM
Already own Dragon age origins :smallbiggrin:

Curses! Foiled again!

hmm...
i haven't really bought many new, good games lately

The Guild 2 is pretty good...

Pocketa
2010-05-31, 11:28 PM
Scribblenauts!

Sneak
2010-05-31, 11:32 PM
Get Loom for $5 off of Steam.

Or Giants: Citizen Kabuto.

Lev
2010-05-31, 11:58 PM
Hmm..r4...tasty...
DS games are around 150megs so you can hold about 15 at a time on a 2gig miniSD, you can also hold pictures, movies, music, ebooks and snes games, including homebrew games and apps like Mario Kaizo, and different hacked games.

IonDragon
2010-05-31, 11:58 PM
Buy the Sprawl Trilogy by William Gibson. Hailed as the origin of the term Cyberpunk. That should only cost you about $15 though, so after that you should get the Dresden Series or as much of it as you can. If that's too much reading for you, I'd recommend Borderlands. I'm liking it a lot. (I know I'm a little late to be getting on the Borderlands bandwagon, but it just means it's cheaper)

ninjaneer003
2010-06-01, 12:05 AM
Comic books are always a good choice. I'm not sure how good they are on Amazon but you could give it a shot

some favs

The Walking Dead
30 Days of Night
ANYTHING Deadpool

Superglucose
2010-06-01, 12:05 AM
I've had this silly 50$ amazon gift certificate gathering dust...and at this rate am never going to use it. So...appealing to the powers of which that are known as giantitp forum users, what should I use it on? My main hobby is Renaissance reenactment. I like fantasy and sci-fi books. Also, I play the computer, PS2,xbox, and gamecube. If the price goes over $50 I am completely fine with that...I just need ideas :smallfrown:.

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany immersive gaming experience. Fantasy genre. Makes Oblibbions look like one of the worst games ever made by comparison. It's the game that Molyneaux tried to measure up to with Fable and failed miserably (Fable 2 was a step back).

Dr. Bath
2010-06-01, 11:51 AM
I have.

And now, I love you.

Woah now, woah! That is pretty hasty. I am just not prepared for that kind of vocabularly. Please be less nice.

On books: Get a load of Asimov if you haven't already read any. The robots collection and the first three Foundation books are tops. I would also recommend Arthur C. Clarke, any really, they're all pretty good. Phillip K. **** books are also very worth reading (do androids dream of electric sheep, and a scanner darkly in particular). Dune (the first one at least) might be good if you haven't already read it.

Oh! Walter Moers books might be something to look for as they are not so readily available in bookshops. (Dark, imaginative, intelligent fantasy humour. With great illustrations. A bit pricey though.)

olelia
2010-06-01, 05:08 PM
Okay..next round of replys...we'll do it backwards this time...and categorized.

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. - Have had the mental scarring Pleasure of playing this game:smallbiggrin:

Own Loom and Giants Citizen Kabuto

I have always been interested in Scribblenaughts...

I do own and did enjoy the first guild...Second one...possibility

Onto the books/comics...

Sprawl Trilogy eh?...<files under to be researched soon> And already own all of the dresden series...<puts borderlands in research mode>

And finally...the miscellaneous section.

I think my two cats would eat the pygmy marmoset :smalleek:. I have considered spending it on music. Surprisingly, I purchase all of my music! I do prefer it in CD form...which means I run the risk with shipping.

Sneak
2010-06-01, 05:20 PM
Hey! You apparently have good taste in games!

On the books front, I'd recommend Neal Stephenson for everyone on this forum who hasn't already read him.

I personally love John Barth, Borges, Calvino, Nabokov, and Vikram Seth, but I can't speak as to how similar to mine your tastes run.