PDA

View Full Version : Entombed in Amber (PEACH, template)

SlaadLord
2010-05-31, 06:40 PM
Ambercrust Creature
http://www.fossilmuseum.net/Fossil_Galleries/Insect_Galleries_by_Order/Coleoptera/colorful_ladybug/45h.jpg

Remnants of a bygone age imprisoned in tree sap, insects trapped in amber are not an uncommon occurrence in some parts of the world. Ambercrust creatures are made when a creature becomes trapped in tree sap from a tree native to the Faerie. Infused with the essence of the fey, ambercrust creatures often break free of their encasing shells, filled once again with life.

Ambercrust Giant Stag Beetle
Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 7d8 + 31 (62 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20ft.
AC: 22, touch 8, flat-footed 22 (-1 size, -1 Dex, +14 natural)
Base Attack/ Grapple: +5/+17
Attack: Bite +12 melee (4d8 + 12)
Full Attack: Bite +12 melee (4d8 + 12)
Space/Reach: 10ft./5ft.
Special Attacks: Trample 2d8 + 3
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft., DR 5/bludgeoning, fast healing 2, petrified metabolism, Resist acid and fire 10, refractive surface, SR 12, vermin traits
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +1, Will +2
Abilities: Str 27, Dex 8, Con 19, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 11
Skills: -
Feats: Toughness (B)
Challenge Rating: 5

Combat
Trample (Ex): Reflex half DC 21. The save DC is Strength-based.
Petrified Metabolism (Ex): Ambercrust creatures need to eat and drink only a quarter of the normal requirements of creatures of their size. Additionally, they do not need sleep.
Refractive Surface (Ex): If a spell that generates a ray or line or effect fails to penetrate an ambercrust creature's spell resistance, there is a 20% chance it is reflected back at the caster, using the same attack roll and save DC (if any).

Ambercrust Creature
“Ambercrust” is an acquired template that can be added to any living, corporeal vermin or animal (referred to hereafter as the base creature). An ambercrust creature uses all of the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
Size and Type: The creature's type changes to magical beast. Do not recalculate Hit Dice, base attack bonus, or saves. Size is unchanged.
Armor Class: The creature’s natural armor bonus increases by +4.
Attack: Ambercrust creatures' natural weapons' base damage increases by one stage, as if the creature had grown one size larger.
Special Qualities: An ambercrust creature retains all special qualities of the base creature and also gains the following special qualities.
Damage Reduction: Ambercrust creatures have DR 5/bludgeoning.
Darkvision 60ft.
Fast Healing: Ambercrust creatures have fast healing 2.
Petrified Metabolism (Ex): Ambercrust creatures need to eat and drink only a quarter of the normal requirements of creatures of their size. Additionally, they do not need sleep.
Resistances: An ambercrust creature has resistance to acid and fire 10.
Refractive Surface: If a spell that generates a ray or line or effect fails to penetrate an ambercrust creature's spell resistance, there is a 20% chance it is reflected back at the caster, using the same attack roll and save DC (if any).
Spell resistance equal to the creature's HD + 5 (maximum 25)
Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +4, Dex -2, Con +2, Cha +2.
Feats: Ambercrust creatures gain Toughness as a bonus feat.
Challenge Rating: As the base creature +1.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Comments? Criticism? Please?

radmelon
2010-06-01, 09:03 AM
Nice! Good flavor. One tiny mistake: in the example creature, You called Refractive surface "Resist nature's lure". :B

BLiZme.2
2010-06-01, 02:07 PM
anything covered in actual amber is long dead amber takes a long time to form from sap so this should be an undead template unless 1 a near fatal dunking in sap + MAGIC! causes this (i.e. no amber till or as you get out) or 2 the fae amber has seeped in to the creature and revived it in that case maybe changing type to fae is more appropriate than a straight rex also 3.X crunch and 4.0 fluff Hehe (I do like some of the new fluff and draw from it myself I just still think its funny to mix them {there not the same multiverse})

SlaadLord
2010-06-01, 03:31 PM
My multiverse works a little differently. Faerie is a plane coterminous with the Material plane...

As to the crunch, I considered changing the type to fey but decided magical east would fit better for the image I have: the tree sap encases the critter, then years, perhaps dozens of years later, they are sufficiently encased in the fey magic to escape the amber and go live again.

Dencero
2010-06-01, 04:50 PM
Am I the only one who sees the potential for a Jurassic Park-esque adventure? Mad Necromancer uses an Ambercrust mosquito to extract the blood needed to make his Dinosaur army?
>.>