PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Negative Energy Damage Spell, Non-Cleric?

balistafreak
2010-05-31, 07:33 PM
Neverwinter Nights has the Negative Energy Ray/Burst/Whatever line of spells for Sorcerers and Wizards to throw around negative energy damage. As far as I can tell, there are no real equivalent in PnP D&D other than Enervation and such, which isn't quite what I'm looking for.

Seeing as I'm in the middle of crafting an undead Sorcerer, it would be nice to have a source of negative energy to heal with in an emergency. Are there any spells/metamagic tricks that would let a sorcerer have access to damaging negative energy spells?

arguskos
2010-05-31, 07:34 PM
Lord of the Uttercold comes to mind, since it makes cold spells half negative energy. If you're immune to cold, it's a good solution.

SurlySeraph
2010-05-31, 08:11 PM
Negative Energy Ray, from Tome and Blood page 93, is a first-level spell that gives you 1d6 + 1d6/ 2 levels, maximum 5d6. You could also use Necrotic Skull Bomb or Enervation, though that would be less cost-efficient.

balistafreak
2010-05-31, 08:45 PM
Negative Energy Ray, from Tome and Blood page 93, is a first-level spell that gives you 1d6 + 1d6/ 2 levels, maximum 5d6. You could also use Necrotic Skull Bomb or Enervation, though that would be less cost-efficient.

Direct hit!

That's all I need. Case closed. :smallbiggrin:

mabriss lethe
2010-05-31, 08:45 PM
There were a few more in tome & blood along those lines, I think, but I'm not 100% sure they were ever reprinted in 3.5

balistafreak
2010-05-31, 08:52 PM
There were a few more in tome & blood along those lines, I think, but I'm not 100% sure they were ever reprinted in 3.5

Hmmm, that's a fair point. I'm not sure they ever expressly banned them from being used in 3.5, though.

What's the rules for "grandfathering" again?

arguskos
2010-05-31, 08:54 PM
If it wasn't reprinted, it's technically fair game. Ask your DM if that's alright however.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-31, 10:08 PM
Lord of the Uttercold comes to mind, since it makes cold spells half negative energy. If you're immune to cold, it's a good solution.
Hmm, play Pathfinder (where 0 level spells are unlimited) or game houseruled thusly, play an undead, such as a Vampire or Necropolitan, and just keep casting Ray of Frost on yourself out of combat.
Unlimited healing for the win.