PDA

View Full Version : Computer Stuff.

Zeful
2010-05-31, 09:05 PM
I'm going into the market for a new Laptop but I came across something I don't understand. What is a IntelCore i5 - 520M? And what's it's speed in GHz? I looked, but nothing's come up on google (though I could have missed something).

Erloas
2010-05-31, 11:12 PM
The Intel i5 520m processor is 2.4GHz.
Though comparing GHz to GHz across different types of processors is meaningless.
The processor should be fine for anything you might need to do.

JediSoth
2010-06-01, 08:11 AM
This page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_i5) on Wikipedia* is a good start for learning about Intel's myriad processors.

I recently purchased a new computer and it took me WEEKS of research to figure out what the best processor for my needs were because both Intel and AMD have SO many options out there, it's no longer as simple as saying "Get a Pentium II," or what have you. In addition, unless you keep up with the techie world, both of their naming schemes have gotten convoluted and hard-to-grok.

*This is not meant as a blind endorsement of Wikipedia's accuracy. As with any research, it pays to check the references. Do not assume this reference to Wikipedia means that I think everything written there is the absolute truth.**

**Tongue-in-cheek disclaimer is due to having been ranted at for 20 minutes for linking to Wikipedia once in a chatroom rather than spend 10 minutes typing out an explanation for a local event someone in Canada wasn't familiar with.