PDA

View Full Version : [4E] The Recharge System (work in progress)

Lord Raziere
2010-05-31, 09:18 PM
I have this idea for a system to replace the "At-will/encounters/dailies etc." system of 4E.

There is not going to be much change, all that is gonna happen instead of the power being broken down into these multiple kinds of powers, each power is going to have a recharge rate in rounds.

For example at will powers will instead have a RR (Recharge Rate) of Zero, meaning it doesn't need to recharge. A RR of 1 means that, obviously it takes the one round for it recharge, and that you can only use it every two rounds.

powers that are stronger than others will have a higher RR, meaning if someone takes all the strongest powers they have to wait longer for to recharge, as such powers take more energy see?

the idea behind this recharge system is to allow one to use the various 4E powers more often without allowing them to spam it and be overpowered.

what do you think of this? Too overpowered? or no?

Knaight
2010-05-31, 09:36 PM
I would use the original recharge system (roll a certain number, or range of numbers, recharge the power) personally, tracking cool down time on a bunch of powers is no fun at all. Maybe use a d10 instead of a d6, dailies become 1 number recharge, encounters 4 number recharge, at wills either stay at will or become 8 number recharge.

Lord Raziere
2010-05-31, 09:46 PM
yea but why roll for it? a variance in the Recharge Rates don't make any sense;
for example if I cast a lightning bolt spell, how much sense would it make for me to recover it in one round at one point, but at another point would take five rounds?

that actually seems even less fun.

and number 1 recharge for dailies :smalleek: I think your confused, do you want someone casting dailies every two rounds!? and why would you want at-wills to be castable only every nine rounds? I think you got mixed up; the lower the RR, the more you can use the power, not the other way around.

Mando Knight
2010-05-31, 09:57 PM
and number 1 recharge for dailies :smalleek: I think your confused, do you want someone casting dailies every two rounds!? and why would you want at-wills to be castable only every nine rounds? I think you got mixed up; the lower the RR, the more you can use the power, not the other way around.

You've got it backwards. He means that dailies would recharge only on a roll of 10, but encounters and at-wills would recharge on a wider range of numbers.

Whatever you choose, an in-combat recharge system would be trickier and clunkier than the current system. Most combats don't last long anyway: 10, maybe 12 rounds is the maximum, with most having a clear outcome back at the 6th round. Unless you want them using the same encounter powers over and over again, or possibly even only using dailies, recharging in combat is a rather bad idea IMO.

At low levels, encounter powers barely have much more power than at-wills, making a recharge system for them almost pointless. At high levels, at-wills become almost irrelevant. If you're constantly recharging powers, then at-wills will be irrelevant unless the encounter powers take more time to recharge than the time it takes to burn through them all... and by that time it's close enough to the end where the power boost from regaining encounter powers is worthless.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-05, 10:47 PM
Wouldn't this make you way overpowered.