PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Lykan and the Stone Head Thingie

Lykan
2010-05-31, 11:08 PM
Calling all people with a high appraisal skill!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i311/ChimeraHybrid/Other%20Pics/001-6.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i311/ChimeraHybrid/Other%20Pics/004-2.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i311/ChimeraHybrid/Other%20Pics/006-2.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i311/ChimeraHybrid/Other%20Pics/007-2.jpg

So I've got this stone head thing. I'm 100% positive it's not just some natural occurrence, but I have no idea if it's an artifact from an ancient civilization or a doodad from a museum gift shop.

I looked online, and couldn't find anything that looked anything like it. Lacking any sort of archeological or anthropological knowledge, I can't really tell who might of made it. I also tried rubbing it with the blood of innocent on a moonlit night, though. Nothing happened. I was a little disappointed.

So, uh... Any speculation? Or ideas of where I could take it to figure out what it is?

Leecros
2010-05-31, 11:17 PM
Where did you find it? was it buried?(how deep?) Is there anything Ruinous around it? Normally ~Stone Head Thingies~ don't travel far away on their own.

also it does kind of look like it might be naturally(but cool looking) occurance, how do you know its 100% genuine ~Stone Head Thingie~ and not just some rock?

Lykan
2010-05-31, 11:25 PM
Where did you find it? was it buried?(how deep?) Is there anything Ruinous around it? Normally ~Stone Head Thingies~ don't travel far away on their own.

also it does kind of look like it might be naturally(but cool looking) occurance, how do you know its 100% genuine ~Stone Head Thingie~ and not just some rock?

My grandpa found it awhile ago in some woods in Connecticut. I don't know much of the details, to be honest.

Also, any distinguishing features you might be able to make out in the picture are actually a lot clearer in real life. I couldn't get very good lighting to make the features more easily visible. >.>;

Really, the thing clearly has lips, eyes, a nose, ears, and bumps on the "scalp" I'm gonna assume is hair.

Leecros
2010-05-31, 11:28 PM
My grandpa found it awhile ago in some woods in Connecticut. I don't know much of the details, to be honest.

Also, any distinguishing features you might be able to make out in the picture are actually a lot clearer in real life. I couldn't get very good lighting to make the features more easily visible. >.>;

Really, the thing clearly has lips, eyes, a nose, ears, and bumps on the "scalp" I'm gonna assume is hair.

hmm...well it's probably Native American, part of a statue probably (it's stone?) It'd probably be worth more if you had the whole statue. I'd say take it to a professional appraiser, but i don't think it'd be worth it. Maybe take it to your local Historical Society? That's generally what we're told to do around here if we find any sort of "Artifact".

Lykan
2010-05-31, 11:40 PM
I don't think it was part of a full statue... Either way, there's no way to tell. On top of that, I'm fairly certain that none of the tribes in the area did stone carving.

It kinda seems like a drunken collector or something just pitched it off into the woods. Or aliens left it there. :smalltongue:

Mystic Muse
2010-06-02, 06:59 PM
You live in Indiana?

AstralFire
2010-06-02, 07:03 PM
I'd go to your local library or museum and ask for opinions there.

Lykan
2010-06-02, 07:47 PM
You live in Indiana?

I do not.

I'd go to your local library or museum and ask for opinions there.

Do museums really do walk-in artifact examinations like that?

Mystic Muse
2010-06-02, 07:49 PM
I do not.

.......I just got the Indiana Jones reference.

Lykan
2010-06-02, 07:53 PM
.......I just got the Indiana Jones reference.

Heh... It's kinda funny, though. He's not from Indiana either. :smalltongue:

AstralFire
2010-06-02, 07:54 PM
I do not.

Probably not. I meant ask a museum where they would suggest getting something like that evaluated.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-02, 07:54 PM

Where was he from again? I know the dog was named Indiana but don't know the reason.

Tirian
2010-06-02, 07:57 PM

I think half of what archaeologists do is to wait for people to bring them artifacts that they dug out of their back yard. Call your local history museum or the natural history department of your local college or your local tribe (where "local" means where it was dug up if that's different from where you are) and they'll point you in the right direction.

We've got a couple of stone heads in our family as well that aren't as neat as yours. Still, keep in mind that an expert might have to tell you that you're obligated to relinquish native artifacts if you go down that road.

Lykan
2010-06-02, 07:58 PM
Probably not. I meant ask a museum where they would suggest getting something like that evaluated.

Righto. Will try next time I find a proper museum. Most of the ones around here aren't history-oriented.

Where was he from again? I know the dog was named Indiana but don't know the reason.

Connecticut. Or at least that's where he teaches.

I think half of what archaeologists do is to wait for people to bring them artifacts that they dug out of their back yard. Call your local history museum or the natural history department of your local college or your local tribe (where "local" means where it was dug up if that's different from where you are) and they'll point you in the right direction.

We've got a couple of stone heads in our family as well that aren't as neat as yours. Still, keep in mind that an expert might have to tell you that you're obligated to relinquish native artifacts if you go down that road.

Alright. Will give a try once I find a proper museum/college to examine it. I'm probably gonna skip over local tribespeople unless it could be definitely determined as native American in origin.

It just doesn't seem like pequot/mohegan work. I've never heard of any sort of native American stonework from tribes above the now-Mexican border.

AstralFire
2010-06-02, 08:00 PM

He's from NJ and Utah. Indiana was probably just a good dog name.

Righto. Will try next time I find a proper museum. Most of the ones around here aren't history-oriented.

Call one.

Tirian
2010-06-02, 08:05 PM

He traveled around a lot. I guess they never specified where Henry Jones Sr. taught even in the EU, but he was in Utah long enough to join the local Scouting troop.

Pocketa
2010-06-02, 08:11 PM
It looks very symmetrical so not naturally occuring.

Crimmy
2010-06-02, 08:38 PM
Pocketa +1.

Also, I see some sort of "Paint" on it. Is it scraping of some sort? If not, then it probably had some paint on at some point of time.

Also, the type of rock does not look too... work-able. Do you happen to know what type of rock it is? Because I would think it's frail just by looking at it (and then again, I could be wrong)

Lykan
2010-06-02, 09:02 PM
Pocketa +1.

Also, I see some sort of "Paint" on it. Is it scraping of some sort? If not, then it probably had some paint on at some point of time.

Also, the type of rock does not look too... work-able. Do you happen to know what type of rock it is? Because I would think it's frail just by looking at it (and then again, I could be wrong)

I have no idea what sort of rock it is. Though it's rather heavy for it's size, so I'm assuming that it's probably made of something stronger/denser.

And it's not paint, it's dirt that's hung onto the rougher surfaces of the thing.

Crimmy
2010-06-02, 09:25 PM
Okay, so scraped dirt.

And a very dense rock.

From the latter, I would now be quite sure it was manipulated into that particular shape.

I'd suggest asking in a museum, or, if at all possible, asking a geologist. He might have a clue or two about the nature of said rock/head/stuff...

Syka
2010-06-02, 09:32 PM
Could it maybe be African-American, from way back? What facial features I can make out remind me of some African-American work I've seen.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-06-02, 09:37 PM
Could it maybe be African-American, from way back? What facial features I can make out remind me of some African-American work I've seen.

My first thought was Olmec (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/20041229-Olmec_Head_(Museo_Nacional_de_Antropolog%C3%ADa).j pg), from the eyes and lips. They were more central american though...

Dr. Bath
2010-06-02, 09:47 PM
Native North (of Mexico) American weren't exactly renowned for their stonework. It looks to me like something someone brought back from Turkey or elsewhere in that area.

OR someone was trying their hand at sculpting. Looks like sandstone or something similar to me, which isn't too hard to carve.

Take it to a museum though. Or failing that an antiquarian.

Lykan
2010-06-02, 10:05 PM

That's currently where my suspicions lie, but I have no idea how it'd get here. Especially given the location it was found.

My first thought was Olmec (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/20041229-Olmec_Head_(Museo_Nacional_de_Antropolog%C3%ADa).j pg), from the eyes and lips. They were more central american though...

Unless it's due to severe weathering, I don't think it's Olmec. The facial features are much more pronounced (rather, sticking out alot) and less aptly crafted.

The most distinguishing things I can identify are the bumps that look like hair and rather large ears in proportion to the rest of the head.

OR someone was trying their hand at sculpting. Looks like sandstone or something similar to me, which isn't too hard to carve.

Beneath the dirt, the stone is light gray with flecks of black. I'm pretty sure that's not sandstone... I probably shoulda cleaner the thing before taking pictures.

Crimmy
2010-06-02, 10:08 PM

Being the proud mexican that I am, I must say it's not Olmec. They used a lot more intrincate craftwork, and the designs were usually made in huge stones and stuff. The little craftwork was only made in golden pieces and stuff.

Native North (of Mexico) American weren't exactly renowned for their stonework. It looks to me like something someone brought back from Turkey or elsewhere in that area.

I love you, Bath. Yes, Northern Mexican cultures weren't exactly stoneworkers, mainly because the desert was not a place to stay put. they were mainly nomads.

onthetown
2010-06-02, 10:10 PM
I don't know what it might be, but it looks to be the sort of thing that you should keep safe from Evil Overlords and the like. Be sure to give it to heroes looking for a MacGuffin so they can save the world.

Honestly, though, that's really neat. I didn't think people could just find things like that.

Lolzords
2010-06-03, 12:14 AM

He's named after the dog. :P

rakkoon
2010-06-03, 03:22 AM
And the dog was from Yorkshire?