PDA

View Full Version : Need help from Tech-Savvy playgrounders

Meirnon
2010-06-01, 12:22 AM
Hi, all. I'll cut to the chase. I need help really bad right now. My laptop that I love is screwing up, and I don't know why. My virus scans say everything's fine, and I'm running another one right now. So... here's pretty much my dilemma...

I was webcamming with a friend when their message stopped sending over Windows Live Messenger. The webcams were going fine until I tried to type something, in which then everything but the webcams froze. I tried doing my usual things... windows button, control panel, etc... that normally make things snap out of it if they're going slow or at least let me close it if it's frozen.

Anyways, a few seconds after I do that, the cams freeze, and the start menu fails to pop up. About 5-10 minutes later, I get a blue screen of death, with the message that a kernel had an error. I admit... I don't know much. I know kernels are important, although that's mostly because I read a bunch of stuff on Linux. I have Windows XP, so, no, it's not a modding issue.

Anyways... the laptop turns off, I put it against a cool breeze because the bottom's hot and I thought maybe it was overheating. I log back on, and everything's running fine... until I try logging on MSN again to talk to my friend. They message me over the old Windows Messenger that starts for some ungodly reason on it's own and I can't uninstall, and that I never know when it's on or off, and everything's fine. I try logging onto Windows Live MSN, and the thingy in the bottom corner says that I was logged off of Windows Messenger because I was logged into another location, blah-blah-blah, same thing as always... and then it freezes. Just plain out freezes. My entire laptop's stuck in a perpetual time-space continuum error, and my mouse can move. When I move it down to my startbar, it has the hourglass, and it stays like that forever.

That's where the problem arises. I can't log onto MSN on my username anymore. I can go over to another user on the laptop and log in just fine. But not on my own.

So... Can someone help me with this problem? I'm worried.:smallfrown:

KuReshtin
2010-06-01, 03:53 AM
Could be that there's a problem with the hard drive.
If there are sectors of the hard drive that have gone belly-up that contain the files for certain applications, it could make the laptop run fine except when trying to access the application itself.

Try running a hard drive test (the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test (http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/#DFT) is a good tool, although you'll need to either run it from a floppy disk or burn it onto a bootable CD) to see if you get any errors on the drive.
if that doesn't show up with any errors, it could be something corrupted on the user account itself.

Generic Archer
2010-06-01, 05:36 AM
IMO the .exe has gone dodgy or it's a registry error, try reinstalling messenger, if that fails then either use the old version or try a registry fixer.

Rawhide
2010-06-01, 05:58 AM
Uninstall MSN Messenger, download the latest version, reinstall. Prior to reinstalling, you should run a (free) virus scan from this website (no software installation required) from here: http://housecall.trendmicro.com

As for ye olde messenger, log in once then go to the settings/options. There are two settings, run when windows starts and enable running in the background, disable both. There might also be an auto login option, disable that.

Meirnon
2010-06-01, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'm uninstalling right now, I'll run the scan Rawhide suggested, and if things don't end up for the better, I'll be sure to ask for further help.

Really, though, I appreciate this. I'm sure I'd get the same answers from a pay-for-support site, except for $10 and a membership to Netflix. :smalleek:

EDIT: I followed your instructions, Rawhide, and nothing got better, unfortunately. The .exe you told me to use didn't detect a problem, so I'm thinking it may be the hard drive.

Here's the problem with formatting it, though... It's an Acer AspireOne, so there's no disc. I have important files on this, and only a small, crappy flashdrive that can't even hold an entire CD's worth of MP3's... I figured that out when transferring over RHCP from my music rig to this (due to the lack of a disc drive). Anyways, I need to figure out how to clean up this user while keeping the other intact, as that's the only way I can keep my files, without putting it all on a slave or a separate drive, which I cannot afford. My other option is my rig at home (my music rig died) but that's all 64-bit and I'm a bit queezy about it's ability to hold things safely or even how I can transfer it over to a full, non-slave rig.

So, I need to keep the info I have. I need to fix what I can. I can't reload windows on this without an external CD drive I don't have, and my flash memory capabilities are severely limited. I'm also using as much technobabble as possible while trying to remain relatively accurate so I don't sound dumb about this, although I realize I have a LOT to learn.

SpiderMew
2010-06-01, 01:45 PM
You got some bad problems. You should use https://www.dropbox.com/ to back up your important stuff.

I also think its time for a new laptop or computer. I would just get a desktop, they are generaly more powerfull for less money then laptops.

Meirnon
2010-06-01, 02:00 PM
You got some bad problems. You should use https://www.dropbox.com/ to back up your important stuff.

I also think its time for a new laptop or computer. I would just get a desktop, they are generaly more powerfull for less money then laptops.

It's fine so long as I don't use Windows Live. The old messenger still works, and Skype has always been wonderful to me except for when the messages lag and take 5 minutes to send on either end. It's mostly a need for convenience that I want this fixed.

As for the laptop vs. desktop: I'm a student. I take notes on my laptop and bring it everywhere with me. I like my tiny aspire one because it does exactly what I need it to. Heck, it even plays DDO if I ask it to... although I normally don't because of the rig at home (I only have it installed so I can play with friends and family at my house). So, performance-wise, I only need notes and a little oomph, but not much else. Portability and battery-life is my main concern.

Rawhide
2010-06-01, 06:31 PM
Hmm. It's probably one of the drivers that MSN is accessing then, possibly the webcam driver. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version of the webcam driver.

Meirnon
2010-06-01, 06:35 PM
Hmm. It's probably one of the drivers that MSN is accessing then, possibly the webcam driver. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version of the webcam driver.

No, the webcam's fine. I can use it on skype, and I can use the webcam on the other username on the laptop. I don't think that's what's causing it, cause the problem is MSN just won't start and freezes my computer while the two spinning buddy things say "logging on".

Rawhide
2010-06-01, 08:39 PM
It could still be a driver issue, particularly due to the way it stuffed up. Working perfectly in other applications is not a definite conclusion, though it does make it less likely. You should still try those steps.

Is it only your one account that does not work? i.e. you can log into MSN (the new one) with other accounts? Can you log in at a different location/different computer? If so, I would try the reinstall MSN option again, but this time be sure to remove all client files (logs, settings, profile, cache, shared files, etc.) from your MSN folders before reinstalling.

Meirnon
2010-06-01, 10:43 PM
It could still be a driver issue, particularly due to the way it stuffed up. Working perfectly in other applications is not a definite conclusion, though it does make it less likely. You should still try those steps.

Is it only your one account that does not work? i.e. you can log into MSN (the new one) with other accounts? Can you log in at a different location/different computer? If so, I would try the reinstall MSN option again, but this time be sure to remove all client files (logs, settings, profile, cache, shared files, etc.) from your MSN folders before reinstalling.

It's just that one username. I can get on it fine on the other username on my laptop, and I did a full uninstall, and uninstalled/deleted everything I could find for windows live. I reinstalled (and ran the scan prior), then continued to test it out. It seemed to be working for a little bit, even allowing me to use whatever else was on the screen freely (although not on the startbar), and only froze when I tried using the startbar.

So, Meirnon is sad and doesn't know what to do. :smallfrown:

If none of what you say works, then I just may have to switch to the other username whenever I want to use Live Messenger/MSN or settle for the older version and skype.

Rawhide
2010-06-01, 10:51 PM
It is most likely then that there is a corrupted file that you didn't successfully manage to find and delete. Upon reinstall, it still trys to access that file. Did you check Documents and Settings (had a slight rename on Vista to Users, I think)?

Pidgin (http://pidgin.im/) is great, but doesn't support webcams.

Pocketa
2010-06-01, 10:59 PM
Can you log in to the account from the Internet to check email? If not, maybe the password was hacked.

Meirnon
2010-06-01, 11:47 PM
I used my control panel's add/remove programs. I have XP, so... I guess I have to settle for skype/old MSN or the other username if I can't figure out what I'm missing.

Pocketa
2010-06-02, 12:25 AM
Did you try seeing if you can log on to the account from the net? If it's just that account, maybe the account was compromised.

lesser_minion
2010-06-02, 07:48 AM
MSN stores a lot of profile information in your appdata folder, which is hidden in your user folder. Make sure Explorer shows hidden files, and see if you can find it there.

There will be some profile information under 'local' and then 'microsoft', and some more profile information under 'roaming', then 'microsoft'.

Pocketa
2010-06-02, 09:02 AM
Did you try seeing if you can log on to the account from the net? If it's just that account, maybe the account was compromised.

Suggestion remains unused.

lesser_minion
2010-06-02, 09:25 AM
He isn't online yet. I'm sure he'll have an answer to your suggestion when he gets back.

Saying that, I'd be kind of worried if someone managed to hack a Messenger account to actually cause problems like this, although I guess if a file's become corrupted somehow then we'd know to start whining at Microsoft.

Meirnon
2010-06-02, 09:33 AM
I use Chrome... I never get a virus with it because it tells me when something's downloading and asks my permission, and also tells me if a site has malware.

Anyways, it's not the MSN account. It's that I can't log into it on a certain username on the laptop. Like, "Meirnon" and "Meirnon's Brother" usernames. That's why I find it extremely odd.

Pocketa
2010-06-02, 07:55 PM
He isn't online yet. I'm sure he'll have an answer to your suggestion when he gets back.

Saying that, I'd be kind of worried if someone managed to hack a Messenger account to actually cause problems like this, although I guess if a file's become corrupted somehow then we'd know to start whining at Microsoft.

Still haven't heard if the account can be logged into from another computer or via the internet.

Maybe the problem is just that every time OP tries to log in, the person with the PW logs them out again. AIM has a feature similar to that, in which the person who types a response back to the server first gets to stay logged on and the other person is DC. Messenger isn't always the smoothest flowing IM service around, and maybe it had a minisurge or something with the disconnects that damaged it.

Meirnon
2010-06-02, 08:27 PM
Still haven't heard if the account can be logged into from another computer or via the internet.

Maybe the problem is just that every time OP tries to log in, the person with the PW logs them out again. AIM has a feature similar to that, in which the person who types a response back to the server first gets to stay logged on and the other person is DC. Messenger isn't always the smoothest flowing IM service around, and maybe it had a minisurge or something with the disconnects that damaged it.

I can log into my Live Messenger account just fine just so long as it isn't on that one username. Not the account. The laptop username. Like, I press the on button on my laptop, it boots up, and tells me to choose a user. I choose myself, and I can't log into Live Messenger regardless of the account: it just freezes the computer while connecting. There is no virus or malware or spyware. I've deleted and uninstalled Live and then reinstalled it. I don't know what the problem is, but ever since it snarfed up that night, it hasn't been working since.

Pocketa
2010-06-02, 08:57 PM
Oh, I thought you were just unable to log into that one account. Nevermind.

Sorry I can't be of any help.

deathali'helper
2010-06-02, 09:26 PM
OK guys, Listen, I am cyber geek. Ill admit it. the problem is my laptop goes to slow for my taist, any ideas?
:smallfrown::smalleek:

Meirnon
2010-06-02, 10:12 PM
OK guys, Listen, I am cyber geek. Ill admit it. the problem is my laptop goes to slow for my taist, any ideas?
:smallfrown::smalleek:

External harddrive. A good one will run about $50. Set it to paging or something for RAM processing. My debate partner did that with his already sweet laptop and it never lags.

Rawhide
2010-06-02, 10:59 PM
Ohhhhhhhhh. That is an important detail.

Try this: Log in to your computer on a different account, must be an account that is part of the Administrators group. Rename your profile from "YourUsername" to "YourUsername.BACKUP" (should be found in %SystemRoot%\Documents and Settings or %SystemRoot%\Users - %SystemRoot% is most likely C:). Restart the computer and log in.

Meirnon
2010-06-02, 11:28 PM

Try this: Log in to your computer on a different account, must be an account that is part of the Administrators group. Rename your profile from "YourUsername" to "YourUsername.BACKUP" (should be found in %SystemRoot%\Documents and Settings or %SystemRoot%\Users - %SystemRoot% is most likely C:). Restart the computer and log in.

Alright, thanks again Rawhide. I'll try this tomorrow after school and see if it works. I am thoroughly puzzled how you figured that might be a solution, but I'll try it.

IonDragon
2010-06-02, 11:37 PM
Also, you should run a hardrive check. Heiren's boot CD has the IBM DFT (Drive fitness test) which checks your hard drive to make sure everything is functioning properly.

Although, if the other accounts are working correctly I recommend doing what Rawhide suggests first. After that and before the hard drive test, open My Computer, right click on your main hard drive (C:) click on Properties, Tools, "Check Now" button, click both check boxes, hit "OK" then "Yes" and finally reboot your computer. This will take anywhere from 20 min to 2 hours+. It's SUPPOSED to find problems with your hard drive, though rarely fixes a problem like this.

Zeb The Troll
2010-06-03, 12:04 AM
Alright, thanks again Rawhide. I'll try this tomorrow after school and see if it works. I am thoroughly puzzled how you figured that might be a solution, but I'll try it.Because it now sounds like it's your Windows login profile that's bugged. Doing what he suggests will prompt Windows to recreate your profile with all fresh new data instead of trying to figure out what random little file in some remote hidden folder six layers deep has an extra "." in it or whatever.

If this fixes the Live Messenger problem, then we can go about moving stuff you need from the backed up profile into the newly created and working profile.

Meirnon
2010-06-04, 01:28 PM

Says I can't. Exact message:

Cannot rename [myusername]: Access is denied.

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

Here's the dealy: I have a 70-80% free-and-clear disk space. I make sure to clean files and defragment maybe once or twice a month, so I'm pretty sure it's mostly clean and organized. I made sure to log off of my main account and shut it down after I made this one into an admin, and then switched over and did what you said.

Also, just something I found interesting, there was a username I DIDN'T make in the registry. It was called .NET MACHINE or something, and I deleted it and all it's files. I feel fairly justified in doing so because I never made it nor gave permission for it to be made. So, along with suggestions on how to get my MSN/Windows Live Messenger working so it doesn't freeze my computer with every login, I'd enjoy any explanation that could be given as to how that third username made itself on my computer. :smallconfused:

Rawhide
2010-06-05, 04:49 AM
Yeah, uhm, was it by any chance something to do with ASP.NET?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555299
You shouldn't simply delete random files you find on your drive...

Were you logging in as an administrator? You cannot rename your account if you are not an administrator, you also cannot rename the account if it is in use. If you still can't rename it, you might need to take ownership of the folder. Right click the folder > Properties > Security > Advanced > Owner

Adumbration
2010-06-05, 05:59 AM
Uninstall MSN Messenger, download the latest version, reinstall. Prior to reinstalling, you should run a (free) virus scan from this website (no software installation required) from here: http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Downloaded that, ran the application and then my own AntiVir was all over it like a pack of dogs. Can I just use the 'ignore' setting here?

Meirnon
2010-06-05, 10:53 AM
Yeah, uhm, was it by any chance something to do with ASP.NET?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555299
You shouldn't simply delete random files you find on your drive...

Were you logging in as an administrator? You cannot rename your account if you are not an administrator, you also cannot rename the account if it is in use. If you still can't rename it, you might need to take ownership of the folder. Right click the folder > Properties > Security > Advanced > Owner

Meh, I still feel justified in doing what I did. My computer's running fine without it.

I was logged on as an admin, and the user was logged off entirely. I'll try that.

lesser_minion
2010-06-05, 11:14 AM
Downloaded that, ran the application and then my own AntiVir was all over it like a pack of dogs. Can I just use the 'ignore' setting here?

That doesn't surprise me, but your browser should come up with a warning as well - basically it's because you're giving a java applet access to your computer.

Assuming that that is absolutely, categorically, the right site, you should be OK, but I'd suggest posting the text of the warning so we can make sure.

Meirnon
2010-06-05, 11:23 AM
There is no Security tab in the properties. There's General, Sharing, and Customize. In General, under attributes, there's a checked box that says "Read Only", so I figure that if I uncheck it and ok it, it will allow me to Write it. Whenever I do this, though, and go back to rename my Username to Username.BACKUP, it gives the same message and resets the attributes to "Read Only" on.

Meirnon
2010-06-06, 06:24 PM
Bump for help?

IonDragon
2010-06-06, 08:27 PM
There is no Security tab in the properties. There's General, Sharing, and Customize. In General, under attributes, there's a checked box that says "Read Only", so I figure that if I uncheck it and ok it, it will allow me to Write it. Whenever I do this, though, and go back to rename my Username to Username.BACKUP, it gives the same message and resets the attributes to "Read Only" on.

This is because you have windows XP home edition rather than pro. This can cause plenty of difficulties.

Have you tried what I suggested?

Meirnon
2010-06-06, 08:38 PM
This is because you have windows XP home edition rather than pro. This can cause plenty of difficulties.

Have you tried what I suggested?

Yes I have. It keeps telling me that I can't, and that I can schedule it for next time I restart my computer. I restart, and nothing happens, and try scheduling again. :(

Meirnon
2010-06-07, 04:12 PM
When I turned my laptop on this morning, the disk check started. It fixed a bad cluster in my contacts folder, and now everything's working fine. Yay. :smallbiggrin:

Danke for all your help.

Zeb The Troll
2010-06-08, 05:58 AM
Yes I have. It keeps telling me that I can't, and that I can schedule it for next time I restart my computer. I restart, and nothing happens, and try scheduling again. :(This was probably because a "restart" isn't the same as a "reboot" and what the message actually wanted you to do, though it didn't say it right, was to reboot, meaning don't just click on Start->Reboot but shut it down then power it back on.

Glad you got it working though. :smallcool:

KoboldRevenge
2010-06-09, 11:09 PM
ask a person at a computer store

Meirnon
2010-06-09, 11:17 PM
ask a person at a computer store

It's fixed, and I wouldn't doubt there are people here who work at computer stores. :)

KoboldRevenge
2010-06-10, 06:25 PM
:smalltongue:I wouldn't want to talk about work if I did all day

Zeb The Troll
2010-06-10, 11:55 PM
In point of fact there are quite a few people involved in the IT industry that post here and are quite helpful. Sometimes folk like being helpful more than they dislike talking shop. :smallcool: