PDA

View Full Version : Making a Plutonium Dragon (3.5)

gallagher
2010-06-01, 01:17 AM
hey all, i am creating a dungeon for my home-brewed world, with a few general regions where odd characteristics are abundant. if this sounds familiar, it may be because you read my previous thread, which can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154315), and i would appreciate if all comments or questions about the world itself be directed there.

one of the places in this is going to be based off of the game Munchkin, and i therefor have the difficult challenge of making characters such as a stoned golem, a gazebo construct, a potted plant, and of course, the plutonium dragon.

if i were to have a group of a skill monkey, a BSF, a divine caster and an arcane caster, and they were to be in this part of the world between levels 10 and 13/14, how should i stat out the plutonium dragon (for them as 13/14 levelers) and teh suchlike? i will have a few of other monsters in case they are too weak and are easily ran through, but there will be only one plutonium dragon.

lets assume that i use a silver dragon to base this off of. what age category, and what changes should i make to the silver dragon?

The Cat Goddess
2010-06-01, 01:57 AM
You know there's a Munchkin RPG, right?

veovius
2010-06-01, 02:07 AM
Well, first, the dragon would be radioactive.....

DC 20 Fort save per minute within ... 30 feet? On fail, take 1 point Con, Dex, Strength damage per day for 1d4 days and be sickened for the period, unless cured magically. Cumulative damage :)

Irreverent Fool
2010-06-01, 02:48 AM
Page 27 of the Munchkin Monster Manual has stats for a Plutonium Dragon. Elsewise, this should probably be in the homebrew forum. :smallbiggrin:

I like them because they are unique among dragons in that they become weaker as they age, with a wyrmling being CR 36 and a geezer being CR 1/4. Radioactive decay and all.

2xMachina
2010-06-01, 04:34 AM
Psionic dragon, compression! Nuke!

Ossian
2010-06-01, 05:13 AM
Page 27 of the Munchkin Monster Manual has stats for a Plutonium Dragon. Elsewise, this should probably be in the homebrew forum. :smallbiggrin:

I like them because they are unique among dragons in that they become weaker as they age, with a wyrmling being CR 36 and a geezer being CR 1/4. Radioactive decay and all.

Does that go by the actual half-life? 'cause a CR 1/4 would then probably be billions of years old! AC in the negative, sure, but +100.000 in Knowledge (Life, the Universe and Everything).

Kaiyanwang
2010-06-01, 09:54 AM

Yeah, that thing is just awesome.

nargbop
2010-06-01, 10:54 AM
Once a DM of mine made an epic BBEG with an axe that had Disintegrate on every hit. He waffled on what it was made out of, and I told him it should be Plutonium.

There are a number of ways to handle this, depending on how silly you are being.

For moderately silly : Take the stats of a Juvenile silver dragon. Her breath weapon is a line of force damage. She has a weak version of Death Throes, wherein all within 100 feet take 5d6 force damage upon her death.

If I were playing a serious game, I would take the stats of a Young Adult silver dragon, where she starts getting Spell Resistance. Add the stuff from the previous paragraph. The environment for miles around her lair, particularly water flowing past it, causes sickness (-2 to certain rolls) (Fort DC 23 resists). Standing within 100 feet of the plutonium dragon forces a Fort DC 25 save once per minute, or the victim is nauseated for 1 minute (no actions allowed but 1 move action per round).

For a downright difficult game, add a concussive effect every time someone hits her, blasting them back five feet.

Ossian
2010-06-01, 11:03 AM
Watch out because with that much mass, if two dragons collide with sufficient energy....

http://coloradoright.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/nuclear_blast.jpg

WorstDMEver
2010-06-01, 12:48 PM
Take the 30' Fort save idea, add 60' AOE fire damage(3d6/round at 60', 6d6/round at 30' or closer, fort save DC 20 for half) and breath is a line of disintegrate (ala Godzilla), set caster level to fit.

Ravens_cry
2010-06-01, 04:07 PM
I have an idea. Unlike most dragons, past a certain age Plutonium Dragons get smaller as they get older. Eventually they get so small, the plutonium in them reaches crticle mass, and well. . .
http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/3442/boomd.jpg
Yeah, like that.