PDA

View Full Version : Legend of the Nentir IC

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-01, 07:03 AM
The Legend of the Nentir

- Chapter 1 -

Your paths crossed for the first time in the Nentir Vale, in the year 521 of the nerathi calendar. The Vale is vast; the human, elven and dwarven settlements that have survived the war against the Bloodspear Orcs are few and far between. Nature has reclaimed its rights since the time of the Empire and attacks by monstrous beasts and savage humanoids prevent Civilization from spreading again. For some, the situation of the Nentir Vale seems hopeless...but this is where the roads led you, and you chose to call it home, at least for a time. You have all recently accepted a job – be it individually or as a small group of companions – from a wealthy tiefling merchant named Orest Naerumar, owner of Naerumar's Imports, specialized in the business of jewelry, art objects and magic trinkets. Maybe you are in it only for the money, or maybe the nature of this mission concerns you. As Orest explained to you, a valuable and dangerous magic item was stolen from one of his vaults a few days ago, by none other than his most trusted friend, the renowned adventurer Mathis Ulford. He wouldn't reveal too much about the stolen object, but he described it as a small box made of rare redwood decorated with arcane runes. A worrying rumor came to Orest's ear, according to which Mathis found a buyer for the box in the person of Finzar, a dark mage of supposedly great power. None of you have heard of this man, but you can only guess the threat he could pose to the entire region – and even beyond – if he acquired the artifact.

You each led your own investigation until you found yourselves in the town of Fallcrest, where you were contacted by one of Orest Naerumar's employees. This person arranged a meeting for all of you, supplying new information relating to the case. Following various clues, you were able to find Mathis' whereabouts. The thief escaped before you could ambush him, but you were hot on his trail as he rode his horse south deep into the Moon Hills. You finally lost his trace shortly after night fall, but you believe he may be heading towards Kalton Manor. The horses are tired from the long chase and so are you, so you decide to set up camp. As you all sit around the fire, you realize that you haven't had much chance to talk since your meeting earlier in Fallcrest. There are seven companions: the roguish eladrin Aeris Eiskywells, the goliath sage Von Stoneseeker Bilkano, the fierce dragonborn warrior Naragog, the brilliant eladrin battle maiden Sariel, the strange living machine Barag Kantuz Odro, the civilized bugbear Adolf Bärzeiger and the elven tracker Veril Woodsinger.

A modest beginning to a great tale…

horngeek
2010-06-01, 07:17 AM
Sariel sighs, as they sit around the campfire. "...hopefully, we'll be able to draw this chase to a close tomorrow."

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-01, 07:30 AM
Sariel sighs, as they sit around the campfire. "...hopefully, we'll be able to draw this chase to a close tomorrow."

The hulking Barag has been mostly silent throughout the chase so far, tirelessly following the tracks through the undergrowth. As the sun set and the valley was covered in darkness, he continued unperturbed, his glowing eyes illuminating the tracks ahead. However, he could tell that his companions were not faring as well, and accepted the need for camp.

While the others set out camp, Barag walked around the perimeter, familiarising himself with the lay of the land, turning to the group only when the warlord spoke. "It is difficult to say," Barag's deep voice answers, "Mathis made a mistake trying to escape with a horse through deep underbrush - his speed is barely better than ours at best. But all he needs is a long stretch of open ground to gain on us once more."

After a brief pause, as if to think, he continues, "But he cannot run forever, not if he intends to sell his loot. If he is going to Kalton Manor, we'll get there soon enough. If not... well, the Witchlight Ferns and the Harken forest are even worse places to try and take a horse through."

horngeek
2010-06-01, 07:35 AM
"The only difficulty is if the inhabitants cause trouble when we catch up to him..."

Koboldshroud
2010-06-01, 07:38 AM
Aeris looks to Sariel as she speaks and nods at her words. She then lets her eyes wander over Barag, fascinated by the fact that he is able to speak, and even move even though he is made of material.

She pulls out her Sword and strokes it lovingly. "Im starting to get really sick of him... Soon he will meet my god."

She Sheaths her sword and studys the Automaton -closely- for the first time

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-01, 07:38 AM
"The only difficulty is if the inhabitants cause trouble when we catch up to him..."

"If the inhabitants harbor a thief," says Barag as he slowly lowers himself to sitting position, "it will be on their heads."

Barag notices the woman glancing at him. He is used to it, and turns his head in her direction, momentarily turning off one of his eyes at her. "Winking", he'd heard call it.

Does Barag know anything about this keep? Size, owners, etc?

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-01, 07:44 AM
"If the inhabitants harbor a thief," says Barag as he slowly lowers himself to sitting position, "it will be on their heads."

Barag notices the woman glancing at him. He is used to it, and turns his head in her direction, momentarily turning off one of his eyes at her. "Winking", he'd heard call it.

Does Barag know anything about this keep? Size, owners, etc?

No lord maintains the small keep. At any time, a band of goblins or a bandit clan may inhabit the ruins, but the frequent attacks from rival humanoids and monstrous beasts mean the same people never stay long.

horngeek
2010-06-01, 07:46 AM
{{Sariel's female. :smalltongue:}}

The Eladrin nods. "I would prefer not to kill anyone unless we have to, though."

Koboldshroud
2010-06-01, 07:48 AM
Aeris bows her head slightly in acknowledge meant of the wink.

She then tilts her head back and trys to think of any recent events she knows about the keep and any at least Fairly important events of the past that could influence the days to come

[roll0]
History above

(fixed)

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-01, 07:49 AM
The Eladrin nods. "I would prefer not to kill anyone unless we have to, though."

Barag considers the words for a moment - his impassive face showing nothing but calm reflection - and says, "Laudable sentiment. But Nature is seldom that kind to her Subjects. The manor houses all kinds of lawless groups. I suspect our approach itself will bring violence."

horngeek
2010-06-01, 07:50 AM
She sighs. "I know... it is something to be avoided if possible, though. On the other hand, if it comes to violence, I will not be holding back."

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-01, 07:53 AM
Aeris recalls that Lord Arrol Kelton established that manor 200 years ago. The keep was never finished as frequent attacks drove every worker and tenant away. It is rumored that the old Kelton fortune may still be hidden beneath the ruined keep.

While the others are talking, Veril leaves the circle and decides to patrol alone.

horngeek
2010-06-01, 07:56 AM
Sariel tries to recall what she remembers of the area. :smalltongue:

I've got a higher History bonus, so it's worth a shot.

[roll0]

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-01, 07:57 AM
Sariel has the same information as Aeris.

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-01, 07:57 AM
She sighs. "I know... it is something to be avoided if possible, though. On the other hand, if it comes to violence, I will not be holding back."

Barag's eyes dim as he consider's the words. "I don't think I am capable of avoiding it. I was not built to do so. My tree and stone weathers the storm, but cannot run from it. The dwarven runes tell me to charge and fight. My very appearance makes me difficult to hide..."

Barag's voice is lost, and you can almost hear him thinking. After a pause, he ends, "What shall be, shall be."

Koboldshroud
2010-06-01, 08:01 AM
"hm.. i seem to recall from a book that this keep is incomplete.. as such we may be able to find a way into it beside the front gate or door... that we can go in undetected... maybe even steal some treasure... though i doubt there is much

Roll=Bluff [roll0]

She looks up to Veril
"and where are you going Veril?"

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-01, 08:05 AM
"I am restless" is all he says before disappearing behind some trees. From your observations, he seems as fickle as any elf, just even less talkative.

OOC: Fun little trick. You can indicate what kind of roll it is by using those tags: [ roll=x ] [ /roll ], where x = Perception, Attack, etc., instead of plain [ roll ] [ /roll].

Koboldshroud
2010-06-01, 08:08 AM
Aeris sighs I wonder if we'll find any gnolls around here.... nasty hairy buggers.

She pulls out her crossbow and checks that all the cogs and springs are in place, after a few minutes, she is satisfied and puts it back into her belt.

Done.

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-01, 11:08 AM
In response to the conversation between Sariel and Barag, Stoneseeker stands from his position, "Then we all agree to this: Should any one of our group be threatened, we stand together until our best talents resolve the threat. Our successes are greatly improved if we stand shoulder-by-shoulder, and not blade-against-blade."

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-01, 11:13 AM
In response to the conversation between Sariel and Barag, Stoneseeker stands from his position, "Then we all agree to this: Should any one of our group be threatened, we stand together until our best talents resolve the threat. Our successes are greatly improved if we stand shoulder-by-shoulder, and not blade-against-blade."

Barag Kantuz Odro (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=211767), Warforged Warden

"It will probably come to that, unfortunately. We are entering wild lands, and our quarry is too focused to not have prior arrangements" nods Barag, "One does wonder why the theft in the first place. The item must be valuable, and probably dangerous if indeed a wizard is interested. I will not allow the valley to be endangered so, not now that Nature is finally covering the scars of past follies."

Koboldshroud
2010-06-01, 11:14 AM
She looks up to the Goliath, "i tend to agree with our friend here, it would be much wiser to stand side by side.
She smiles at him and stands also, scanning the surounding area

Role=Nature 1d20+1
Please note she is just looking around, not going around to check for anything

Koboldshroud
2010-06-01, 11:15 AM
nature[roll0]

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-01, 01:40 PM
She looks up to the Goliath, "i tend to agree with our friend here, it would be much wiser to stand side by side.
She smiles at him and stands also, scanning the surounding area

Role=Nature 1d20+1
Please note she is just looking around, not going around to check for anything

Hmm...make a perception check too.

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-01, 01:42 PM
Hmm...make a perception check too.

Barag takes 10 on both Nature and Perception, for 20 and 18, respectively

Koboldshroud
2010-06-01, 01:46 PM
hm...

Roll=Perception[roll0]

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-01, 01:50 PM
hm...

Roll=Perception[roll0]

Your perception skill bonus is +1, not +11. By the way, you don't seem to have trained any skills

Koboldshroud
2010-06-01, 01:52 PM
em.. i just copied what it said in the DND character builder... i trained quite a few skills.... lemme reroll anyway:smallsigh:[roll0] oh, and sorry..

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-01, 01:52 PM
Barag notices a set of tracks outside the camp, which were not immediately obvious. As he comes nearer, he determine that the tracks must belong to a canine bigger than your average wolf.

Arcana checks everyone!

Kobold, 11 is your passive perception (as if you took 10 on the die roll).

Koboldshroud
2010-06-01, 01:55 PM
She looks up to Barag, then back down to Barag "Oh apple sauce"

She draws her sword and dagger looking back to the camp
"guys.. i think we have a bit of a problem here...

Im just gonna go woth it *shrugs* i'll remember in fututre though

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-01, 01:57 PM
Barag Kantuz Odro (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=211767), Warforged Warden

Even while talking, Barag passively scans the land around them and, as the party relaxes, he manages to attune to the forest around him. It is then when he notices the strange tracks.

"Attention, everyone," he says suddenly, standing up, "I believe those tracks back there are not regular wolves. We may be in for trouble sooner than I expected."

[roll0], for what is worth He. Lucky roll

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-01, 02:01 PM

Even while talking, Barag passively scans the land around them and, as the party relaxes, he manages to attune to the forest around him. It is then when he notices the strange tracks.

"Attention, everyone," he says suddenly, standing up, "I believe those tracks back there are not regular wolves. We may be in for trouble sooner than I expected."

[roll0], for what is worth He. Lucky roll

Seems like it was worth it after all, as Barag just figured out those tracks must have been left by an abomination, a shadow beast called a Death Dog. It has the appearance of a large and sturdy, two-headed black dog with a few streaks of crimson fur. Not your every day pet.

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-01, 02:06 PM
Seems like it was worth it after all, as Barag just figured out those tracks must have been left by an abomination, a shadow beast called a Death Dog. It has the appearance of a large and sturdy, two-headed black dog with a few streaks of crimson fur. Not your every day pet.

Barag walks up to the tracks and carefully examines them, and announces, "Indeed, these are not wolf's, or even wargs. Nothing natural produced this - Nature clamors against it. I think we may be dealing with a Death Dog."

Barag quickly unsheathes his sword, and as his hands closes around the pommel, a dozen brown tendrils grow between his skin plates, grasping the sword in a tight embrace. Concentrating, the runes around his head start to glow, soon becoming brighter than any flame, easily illuminating around him.

note: the shield was in place already. The light is like a permanent sunrod centered in Barag - i.e. 20 feet radius, bright light

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-01, 02:16 PM
Stoneseeker clutches his mace and rod in their respective hands. "Well, I'm glad we had that word- "Death Dog" sounds like a threat if I ever heard one!" He says with an eager grin.

Do Death Dogs tend to stick around with "friends" who might be flanking us,
[roll0]

And if so, any other suspicious tracks on the other end of camp?
[roll1]

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-01, 02:17 PM
Stoneseeker clutches his mace and rod in their respective hands. "Well, I'm glad we had that word- "Death Dog" sounds like a threat if I ever heard one!" He says with an eager grin.

Do Death Dogs tend to stick around with "friends" who might be flanking us,
[roll0]

And if so, any other suspicious tracks on the other end of camp?
[roll1]

Arcana: You don't know any more than Barag does on death dogs.

Perception: There appears to be only those tracks.

Koboldshroud
2010-06-01, 02:27 PM
"im going to scout ahead.. i wont go to far.

She moves forward as silently as she can manage

ROLL=STEALTH [roll0]

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-01, 02:37 PM
Aeris sneaks through the underbrush, but after a few minutes litterally bumps into none other than Veril. The ranger instinctively steps back and prepares to fire two arrows right at the eladrin's head, but he recognizes Aeris just in time and stops his movement.

"Don't do that again." The elf puts his longbow away. "I have good news. Our criminal may not have gone as far as we thought. There is a cave nearby; I found fresh humanoid tracks near its mouth. Just about the right size and weight for Mathis." Veril grins. He seems to be enjoying the hunt a bit much.

OOC: That's what happens when both succeed on their stealth checks, but have too low of a passive perception. :smallbiggrin:

horngeek
2010-06-01, 02:42 PM
Sariel draws her sword, and holds it in both hands, ready for any attack. "Form a defensive circle."

Koboldshroud
2010-06-01, 02:42 PM
She speaks in a lowerd voice "ssssh... look here"
She points to the Death wolf Tracks "lets deal with _that_ first

She looks around for a second and picks up a small stone, she throws it to where her party is so that they know which direction to go.

Dunno if that requires any roll..

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-01, 02:45 PM
She looks around for a second and picks up a small stone, she throws it to where her party is so that they know which direction to go.

As the rocks comes flying into the circle of his light, Barag looks at it, wondering what it might mean.

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-01, 02:47 PM
As the rocks comes flying into the circle of his light, Barag looks at it, wondering what it might mean.

It might be a earth elemental?

Apparently not.

Koboldshroud
2010-06-01, 02:49 PM
After a few minutes she gets frustrated "wait here Veril"

She uses Fey step to teleport back to the party. This way. and be quiet please..

She goes back to Veril silently

[roll0]

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-01, 02:50 PM
The elf looks at the tracks and frowns. He whispers "They seem to go in the rough direction of the cave. However I didn't find any near the humanoid ones."

The companions hear only the wind howling and a few owls screeching in the distance.

horngeek
2010-06-01, 02:51 PM
Sariel sighs, and heads back towards the cave. "Come on!"

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-01, 02:55 PM
She uses Fey step to teleport back to the party. This way. and be quiet please..

Barag is nonplussed. He looks at the quietly disappearing eladrin, and then takes a long look at his stone frame. Carefully, he lifts one of his legs and attempts to step quietly. His 300 pounds land heavily. It can be heard quite a ways away. The next steps are not much better.

OK, let's give this a try, but seriously, don't expect silence from Barag. [roll0]

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-01, 02:56 PM
BANG BANG

Warforged don't know "quiet".

Koboldshroud
2010-06-01, 02:56 PM
Aeris Grins "lets make some Dead or Dread, or whatever wolves Deader!... we -can- make them dead right? She whips her sword once through the air skillfully in anticipation. then before waiting for an answer to her last question she says
"should i scout the cave?"

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-01, 02:57 PM
Whispering almost to himself, Stoneseeker says "So, the death dog is worth five points, and if we happen to catch our mark, that will be twenty. Thirty, if we catch Mathis before the dog finds us."

Attempting to sneak around quietly as suggested, while chink-ka-linking around in chainmail.
[roll0]

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-01, 03:00 PM
It is unusually quiet near the cave. The owls cannot be heard anymore and even the wind has stopped.

horngeek
2010-06-01, 03:03 PM
Sariel, like suggested, is trying to be quiet. :smalltongue:

[roll0]

Lord_Asmodeus
2010-06-01, 03:08 PM
Adolf Bärzeiger

The tall Bugbear had remained silent through much of the meal, content to let his companions chatter between each other, and he attempted to keep this trend and remain as silent as possible while studying the surrounding area.

Stealth
[roll0]
Perception
[roll1]

Koboldshroud
2010-06-01, 03:21 PM
@Lord asmodeus hey dude.. We are looong gone from the campfire.. Wouldnt you be with the rest of the party or somethiimg?

tiny tim
2010-06-01, 06:48 PM
Naragog, having been mostly silent for the hunt, now walks brazenly to the front of the cave and stands in the opening, his sword pointed down and to his side, a slight wisp of smoke rising from his nostrils.

Perception- [roll0]

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-01, 07:03 PM
The mouth of the cave is narrow and very low. It is a tight fit, however even the warforged should be able to squeeze inside. Naragog sees that the drop is about 10 feet to the floor. He notices nothing of interest besides stalagmites at this point, but the cavern seems to extend much farther down (it's a gentle slope).

tiny tim
2010-06-01, 07:22 PM
Naragog lights a torch and tosses it into the cave.

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-01, 07:42 PM
"So... You think that whatever threw that rock earlier lives in that cave, or are you trying to smoke something out of there?

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-01, 07:47 PM

[roll0]

Giving up any attempt at stealth, Barag instead makes sure that the tracks of their quarry and that of the death dog do indeed lead to the cavern. Once there, he watches as the dragonite throws a torch deep into the cave.

"I suggest we go in," he says after a suitable wait, "Everything a mile around knows we are here anyway, lets not give them any more time to prepare than we need to."

tiny tim
2010-06-01, 07:50 PM
I agree. We will flush the cowards out of hiding and they will be held accountable.

He then proceeds to be the first one to enter the cave. Go Dragonborn-man!

Lord_Asmodeus
2010-06-01, 08:06 PM
Adolf Bärzeiger

The Bugbear moved as stealthily as he could through the forest till he stood behind the Warforged and Goliath, peering into the tunnel as well as he could as his eyes adjusted to the blaring intensity of the Warforged's light. He spoke with a gruff accent "In my home there is an old saying, "Fool who goes first is first grave dug". Lets hope our dragon friend is luckier than that, eh?"

Stealth
[roll0]
Perception
[roll1]

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-01, 08:09 PM
"Peppy ones are always troublesome ones, if creative. Hey, no head starts! Stoneseeker gives chase after Naragog, hoping that the thrown torch didn't get extinguished, or that the talking, walking, winking, everburning torch behind him decided to follow, as well.

Naturally, he bumps his head on the top of the cave's entrance once, before backing up and lightly crouching in.

horngeek
2010-06-01, 08:09 PM
Sariel nods. "Back him up if he does run into trouble."

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-01, 08:13 PM

Barag shrugs briefly, then pushes his way through the narrow entrance, his shoulder plates scraping against the ceiling as he substitutes his companions' flexibility for sheer strength and determination. He quickly catches up to the dragon fighter, unburdened as he is by heavy armor.

Lord_Asmodeus
2010-06-01, 08:29 PM
Adolf Bärzeiger

The furry monk grunts in response and follows his fellows into the cave, using his low light vision whenever necessary to get a better look at his surroundings.

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-01, 08:33 PM
As the dragonborn, the goliath and the warforged climb down the hole, they find a great cavern at least 50 feet across - probably even 100 - and approximately as deep. Strangely, the light from the torch and from Barag's eyes seems to have diminished, as if the darkness was slowly eating at it.

The radius of each light source inside the cavern is 50% less.

Perception DC 15
You notice some runes on the cave walls and floor, which are arranged in swirling patterns.

tiny tim
2010-06-01, 08:38 PM
Perception check:

[roll0]

I saw nothing.

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-01, 08:47 PM

His keen eyes penetrating the darkness easily, Barag notices a series of runes along the walls and floor in swirling patterns. Expecting magic, he calls back, "Any experts on magic that can give us a hand here? We seem to have a magical darkness fueled by some runes in the walls"

Barag walks forward to the runes, but is careful not to touch them, and keeps his shield up at all times.

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-01, 08:49 PM
Varil offers to stay near the mouth of the cave and watch your backs.

Barag:
As Barag comes closer to the runes, he hears incomprehensible whispers.

tiny tim
2010-06-01, 08:49 PM
Not especially concerned by the darkness, Naragog stays in front of his other companions.

Lord_Asmodeus
2010-06-01, 08:59 PM
Adolf Bärzeiger

The Bugbear monk becomes leery as the light seems to die down, and casts about with his low light vision to keep an eye on the surrounding area.

Perception
[roll0]

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-01, 08:59 PM
Not especially concerned by the darkness, Naragog stays in front of his other companions.

As Naragog walks up to him, Barag holds out his sword, stopping him from getting any closer. "I am hearing some kind of noise. Not sure if it's the runes, but I suggest we withdraw until someone that knows what they are doing takes a look at them"

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-01, 09:00 PM
Stoneseeker walks up to Barag and examines the runes he's looking at.

[roll0]

The bloopers version of this post:
Stoneseeker walks up to Barag and examines the explosive runes he's looking at.

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-01, 09:06 PM
Stoneseeker doesn't recognize the arcane symbols. They however seem very ancient in design.

Suddenly, the sounds of a violent battle break the eerie silence of the cavern. It seems to come from deeper down. Then, the runes seem to take a life on their own and move on the surface of the walls and the stone floor towards the other side of the cavern (down).

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-01, 09:09 PM
Suddenly, the sounds of a violent battle break the eerie silence of the cavern. It seems to come from deeper down. Then, the runes seem to take a life on their own and move on the surface of the walls and the stone floor towards the other side of the cavern (down).

Barag watches stoically as the runes take a life of their own. He breaks into a jog to follow them, but not going so fast he'd leave the group behind.

walking at speed 5

tiny tim
2010-06-01, 09:10 PM
Naragog releases a roar and charges towards the sounds of combat, weapons raised.

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-01, 09:14 PM
No sense in having too many light sources out, Stoneseeker thinks to himself, better follow the firefly-man.

Lord_Asmodeus
2010-06-01, 09:20 PM
Adolf Bärzeiger

As the dragonborn charges towards the sounds of combat, and the others follow, Adolf waits for the light to proceed him, hoping to sneak around the combat and find an advantageous angle to join, rather than charging straight in.

Stealth
[roll0]
And Perception if it's important
[roll1]

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-01, 09:23 PM
The further down they go, the weaker the light is. Fortunately, glowing runes overhead pierce the devouring darkness and guide our heroes towards a fissure in the back wall and a tortuous tunnel 10 feet wide. The tunnel is briefly illuminated by a bright red flash, but you have no idea what's on the other side. Now you can hear clearly blades clashing on metal, explosions and furious shouts.

Sariel and Aeris have climbed down too and are not far behind.

The light from the warforged now has a 5 square radius, and it's only dim light.

tiny tim
2010-06-01, 09:26 PM
Do I really need to say that Naragog doesn't hesitate to enter?

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-01, 09:29 PM
OOC: Nah, I'm just waiting to see if the others follow or eat popcorn while you die gruesomely wait behind!

tiny tim
2010-06-01, 09:31 PM
If I am to die in a horrible trap, I'm coming back and killing as many of them as possible. I'll be saving my dragon breath.

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-01, 09:31 PM
That whole thing about swords and shoulders? Yup, I meant it. Stoneseeker exchanges his mace for an everburning torch while giving chase.

Eating popcorn all the way.

Lord_Asmodeus
2010-06-01, 09:32 PM
Adolf Bärzeiger

Adolf continues to sneak in as sneakily as possible, hoping his fumbling in the increasing dark will be covered by the sounds of fighting and the charging dragonborn.

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-01, 09:38 PM
The brave dragonborn warrior runs through the tunnel and arrives in a small room. It's pitch black inside before Barag catches up, but he senses that there is at least one person in the room with him, maybe 40 feet away. But then runes start to glow on every tile that makes up the floor and all along the masonry walls, revealing a man in a black robe and hood throwing spells at a gigantic shadow in the shape of a dragon. Other, vague shadows violently mix, push and grab each other in the background. There also appears to be several pots, vials and scroll cases stored near the walls, candles set in animal skulls, as well as a 5 feet high pillar in the middle of the room. On the column appears to be a small box.

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-01, 09:42 PM

Barag stops in his tracks, and considers the situation.

"If that is Mathis Ulford, I think he's bit far more than he can chew," he muses to the others, in low voice, "Any ideas on how to grab the box without getting in the way of those two?"

tiny tim
2010-06-01, 09:45 PM
Naragog strides to the hooded figure and stands behind him.

Explain.

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-01, 09:54 PM
Hearing Barag and assuming that the other source of light is him, Stoneseeker adds, "We could try sneaking up on them, or better yet, we could join dragon's side. After all, we are chewy and taste good with barbeque sauce. Except you, you're probably more crunchy. We're too close for any tricks I know of, though we might find something interesting among those scrolls?"

This whole shadow fighting thing, not necessarily the spell slinger but the other shadow forms as well, anything about it in the depths of history I know of?
[roll0]

horngeek
2010-06-01, 09:59 PM
Sariel watches the battle in some concern.

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-01, 10:12 PM
The man in black turns his head towards the dragonborn, although you still can't discern his face. Visibly upset, he shouts:

"No, no no! That idiot! He didn't...Gah!"

This doesn't sound like the Mathis that barely escaped your arrest in Fallcrest. The man doesn't even aknowledge Naragog's presence. He turns back to his fight as the shadows become even more chaotic and agitated.

"Vendar, do you hear me? My concentration has been broken! I won't be able to hold my own much longer."

Stoneseeker:
History: The name Vendar rings a bell. That and the shadowy wyrm reminds you of the legend of the hero Vendar, slayer of the Dragon of the Nentir. He supposedly lived some 400 years ago. His statue still exists today on an island in the middle of the Nentir Falls in Fallcrest.

And suddenly, before your eyes, the man vanishes into thin air. The shadow creatures begin to dissolve. You can hear a terrifying roar as the "dragon" does the same and the ground shakes violently under your feet. The tremor is so intense that several vases shatter and that the redwood box drops from the pillar and opens on the floor. Its content spills - a gleaming gold dust. Before you can even react to the chaos around you, a loud, ringing noise almost deafens you. You then see Varil the elf running inside the tunnel to help you... and getting ripped apart by two grotesque canine heads shortly after. The death dog is cloaked in darkness, and the darkness itself seems hungry.

Just as the grotesque dog comes for you, all six of you are engulfed by light. When you open your eyes again, you do not see the death dog, or Varil's corpse, or the box or the glowing runes on the floor and walls. You seem to be in an identical room, except it's completely empty. Furthermore, the warforged' eyes function normally again, illuminating a radius of 20 squares.

horngeek
2010-06-01, 10:32 PM
Sariel looks around, her Falchion at the ready. "...what happened?"

tiny tim
2010-06-01, 10:40 PM
Naragog lets out an exclamation in Draconic and spins around searching for threats.

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-01, 10:52 PM
Naragog finds tiny yellow snakes coiled in a corner. Not much of a threat, though.

Koboldshroud
2010-06-02, 12:17 AM
'what in the name of the raven queen just happend? If any of you are good with magic, could you please look for the remenants of a teleportation spell or something of the like?

Aeris quickly and quietly checks for any secret doors, trapdoors, -traps- and strange markings

[roll0]
[ROLL=Dungeoneering]1d20+6

horngeek
2010-06-02, 07:53 AM
Sariel frowns, and looks at the Warforged. "Can you please come with me to check the route out and make sure it's safe?"

Having said this, she starts heading out! Slowly, however.

Right. Looking for any traps. I assume either Dungeoneering, or Perception. So, I'm rolling both.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Koboldshroud
2010-06-02, 08:00 AM
Aeris watches Sariel going out and follows behind her

[SPOILER](im assuming the warforged either doesnt follow or goes next to or infront of Sariel either way it makes no difference to what Aeris does)/SPOILER]

I know you didnt ask me to come with but i think we should all stick together

As she says this she turns to the party and beckons them to follow and then carries on walking behind Sariel

Koboldshroud
2010-06-02, 08:11 AM
Just Rerolling
[roll0]

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-02, 01:06 PM
Barag leads the way through the tunnel with Sariel at his side. Aeris follows right behind them. As they walk, a slightly unpleasant smell reaches their nostrils, something like stinking animals. It is not unusually strong or remarkable, however. Examining the cavern walls and floor, Sariel notices nothing out of the ordinary. As the companions reach the end of the tunnel, a human wearing dirty robes shoots a silvery missile of force at the warlord, hitting for 9 damage. Another human comes out of hiding and swings his shortsword at Barag intending on shattering his arm, but the warforged's ancient body armor absorbs the blow.

Roll initiative!

See the OOC thread and my sig for the current initiative list. All PCs in the same group (after the wererat) can take their turns in any order. Adolf is in his own group.

Please indicate your Hp total and defense values in your posts during combat, as well as any condition affecting you, right under your name like this:

Barag
HP: 47 AC: 20 Fort: 17 Ref: 15 Will: 16
Status effects: None

Battlemap below
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/71/fight1.jpg

The smaller rocks on the map are tall stalagmites providing cover; there are also a few bigger rock formations. The green stuff is what you identify to be patches of ember moss, which ignites very easily. You also caught a glimpse of a statue in the back towering over the rocks.

Forgot about it on the map, but the radius of Barag's light covers half the cavern right now.

Sa is for Sariel and B for Barag, obviously. Aeris and the others are farther in the tunnel.

Those are all the enemies you can see at the moment: two human thugs (Mi is for minions), a human mage (M) across a chasm, a rat swarm (RS) and a savage looking rat man (W) - you can roll a nature check for that last one.

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-02, 04:50 PM
Responding to the wererat's command, the small vermins move rapidly to Sariel and attack viciously as a swarm of teeth and claws. She resists their assault, for now.

The thug closest to Barag grins and cuts the warforged in one of his armor's weak spots (a critical hit, but since minions don't double their damage, you take only 5 damage). The other charges Sariel for 5 damage.

Finally, the mage utters an incantation and a second missile of force shoots from his fingertip...but it misses its target.

It is Adolf's turn.

Sariel:
Since you start your turn in the rat swarm's aura, it makes a free basic attack against you. Unfortunately, it hits you for 5 damage and ongoing 3 (save ends).

Lord_Asmodeus
2010-06-03, 06:23 AM
Adolf Bärzeiger

Hearing the scuffle and dimly seeing the beginnings of battle, Adolf breaks into a sprint toward the scene of the battle itself

Use at will power Dance of Cobras to give +2 to movement speed for a total of 8, to get to the battle as fast as I can.

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-03, 12:53 PM
The wererat makes a high pitched squeaking noise and runs towards the tunnel opening. He stops and throws a ceramic sphere that shatters at Aeris' feet and causes a brilliant flash. Naragog's and Adolf's sight is temporarily affected.

Naragog and Adolf treat all nonadjacent creatures as having concealment for one turn.

Turn of he PCs (group 2)!

Koboldshroud
2010-06-03, 03:34 PM
In ooc forum Omnik said its every other pcs turn now.. soo...

Aeris jumps at the wererat and makes a thrust with her Acidic short sword,

[ROLL=Tohit]1d20+7[/CODE]
and if it hits.
[ROLL=Damage]1d6+3[/CODE]

Koboldshroud
2010-06-03, 03:37 PM
Sorry about double post, i did my rolls wrong :smalleek:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-03, 03:57 PM
In ooc forum Omnik said its every other pcs turn now.. soo...

Aeris jumps at the wererat and makes a thrust with her Acidic short sword,

[ROLL=Tohit]1d20+7[/CODE]
and if it hits.
[ROLL=Damage]1d6+3[/CODE]

OOC: Please specify where you move to on the map. You will get OA attacks from the thugs, unless you have a power that negates them. I also need you to write exactly which power you are using as part of your attack.

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-03, 06:16 PM

As the attacks start raining on them, Barag places his shield before him, and does his best to block the assault. Mostly successful, he nevertheless is pinned down, and is aware that the enemy will just finish them off unless they can move out of the cave entrance. However, with the only avenue out being a dangerous flanking corridor, he knows attempting to run out is not a good idea. He calls to his back, "A little help? Can someone take the humans out?" as he protects his eyes from the blinding bomb.

horngeek
2010-06-03, 06:27 PM
Sariel yells, holding her falchion in two hands, and striking at the human in front of her!

Inspiring Word on myself as a minor action, and attacking the minion as a Standard Action.

[roll0]

[roll1]

No damage needed, he's a minion.

Statistics Block:
Sariel (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=211864), Eladrin Warlord
Init +2 HP 23/33 Bloodied 16 Healing Surge 8 (1 used /7)
AC 18 Fort 15 Reflex 14 Will 14 Speed 5
Str 16 (+3) Con 11 (0) Dex 13 (+1) Int 17 (+3) Wis 10 (0) Cha 12 (+1)
'Viper's Strike (At-will)', 'Wolf Pact Tactics (At-will)', 'Warlord's Favor (Encounter)', 'Steel Monsoon (Encounter)', 'Lead the Attack (Daily)', 'Knight's Move (Utility)', 'Inspiring Word (2/Encounter {1 left})', 'Fey Step (Encounter)'
Notes

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-03, 06:32 PM
The thug facing Sariel spits blood after the flachion opens his stomach wide, and then falls to the ground, lifeless.

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-03, 06:49 PM
Stoneseeker, slightly disoriented from the recent event involving powdery gold, finally catches up to Sariel. "Those that strike first and ask questions later deserve receive likewise for treatment! http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/6432/divinebolts.png!" The syllables of an ancient divine tongue form bolts of lightning in his rod, which pulse at the other human and the rat man...

Moving to East of Sariel on battle map, using Divine Bolts on the other minion and rat man. Was going to attack both minions, but I saw those posts attempt to ninja me.

Divine Bolts:
Minion: [roll0]
Rat Man: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

AFTER that, if I can make that nature check as a minor action, I'll do that. Otherwise, I'll spend my minor playing tetris.
[roll3]

Stats block
Von Stoneseeker Bilkano (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=211549), Goliath Invoker
Init +0 HP 34/34 Bloodied 17 Healing Surge 8 (0 used /9)
AC 18 Fort 16 Reflex 15 Will 17 Speed 5
Str 15 (+2) Con 16 (+3) Dex 8 (-1) Int 14 (+2) Wis 16 (+3) Cha 10 (0)

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-03, 07:03 PM
The lightning bolt strikes the thug and the lycanthrope, frying the former and slightly burning the latter.

Stoneseeker:
You identify them as wererats. In addition to what Barag already knows, you are aware of their regeneration (countered only by silver weapons) and their diseased bite.

OOC: Knowledge checks are free actions.

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-03, 07:16 PM

HP 42/47 Bloodied 23 Healing Surge 11 (0 used /12)
AC 21 Fort 17 Reflex 15 Will 16

"Thanks!" shouts Barag, simply, as his companions efficiently eliminate the dirty humans attacking them. Seeing Aeris rush forward the moment the way was clear, Barag decides that she was going to need help sooner rather than later, and sets his heavy frame in motion after her.

As he reaches the ratman, he flanks him and attracts his attention with several feints, and follows them with a low cut that sets up Barag defensively for the answer.

Move: to flank the wererat. I assume that Aeris moved to the north-east of him, so Barag moves to the south-west (why? Because that way he also provides her with cover from the wizard)

Free: Mark everything around me (i.e. the ratman)

Standard: Earth Shield Strike
[roll0] vs. AC
[roll1]
If it hits, +1AC until eont

tiny tim
2010-06-03, 07:21 PM
Despite being nearly blinded, Naragog growls and rushes the ratman through the newly opened pathway, and slashes at him, following through with a series of stabs.

Reaping Strike:
[rollv]1d20+10

Damage(if hit):
[roll0]

Damage(if miss)

Well that was failed code....

tiny tim
2010-06-03, 07:23 PM
Attack:

[roll0]

Moving to South-East of Wererat, choosing not to mark him.

Naragog, dragonborn Fighter
Init +3 HP 42/42 Bloodied 21 Healing Surge 13 (0 used /11)
AC 20 Fort 18 Reflex 14 Will 14 Speed 5

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-03, 07:39 PM
Round 2

The wererat squeaks again as he is surrounded and receives several cuts.

The rat swarm continues to bite at Sariel, without much effect.
Another emerges from behind some stalagmites and launches at Barag, but his body armor is too thick to pierce.

The mage changes into a rat-man hybrid as well and conjures a bolt of dark green lightning. Barag evades it, and then it bounces towards Aeris. The eladrin maiden jumps out of reach and the lightning forks to Naragog (9 damage to the dragonborn).

Barag and Adolf hear whispers coming from somewhere behind the closest rock formations, in the area of the statue.

Adolf's turn!

Lord_Asmodeus
2010-06-03, 08:15 PM
Adolf Bärzeiger

Snarling and rubbing spots from his eyes, Adolf spies the looming rat-like figure of an enemy, as well as several other forms he takes to be his allies. Leaving no time for doubt Adolf runs head on at his foe who is beset on all sides by his allies, as his foe draws closer, Adolf begins to see him take definition until the snarling wererat stands before him in full hideous detail. Adolf attacks the rat man with a series of blinding strikes with his fists.

Dance of Cobras vs reflex
[roll0]
Damage for that
[roll1]

If it hits he also takes 7 damage from Stone Fist Flurry of Blow

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-03, 08:32 PM
Feeling appropriately threatened, the savage wererat bites furiously at Barag and then shifts (6 damage and ongoing 2 (save ends)). The beast's wounds start to close up.

Barag only:
Barag has been exposed filth fever. Remind me to make you roll a saving throw at the end of the encounter - or just do it now if you wish. If you get lower than 10, you contract the disease.

As Barag and Sariel prepare to fight back (at the start of their turn), the swarms of vermins continue to harass them, this time seriously wounding their legs. Barag is hit for 7 damage and 3 ongoing (replacing the ongoing 2 from before) and Sariel takes 9 damage and continues to suffer ongoing 3 damage.

And now, everyone can hear a squeaking voice from the area around the statue. Stoneseeker is immediately concerned, as it sounds like a creature is trying to invoke the wrath of some unknown rat god.

PC group 2, your turns!

horngeek
2010-06-03, 08:40 PM
Sariel gives out a yell, as she furiously attacks the swarm of rats! "Take care of the wererat, everyone!"

Right.

Using Steel Monsoon, to attack the Rat Swarm. Also, 3 people whithin 5 squares of me can shift 1 square.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]

Sariel (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=211864), Eladrin Warlord
Init +2 HP 11/33 Bloodied 16 Healing Surge 8 (1 used /7)
AC 18 Fort 15 Reflex 14 Will 14 Speed 5
Str 16 (+3) Con 11 (0) Dex 13 (+1) Int 17 (+3) Wis 10 (0) Cha 12 (+1)
'Viper's Strike (At-will)', 'Wolf Pact Tactics (At-will)', 'Warlord's Favor (Encounter)', 'Steel Monsoon (Encounter)', 'Lead the Attack (Daily)', 'Knight's Move (Utility)', 'Inspiring Word (2/Encounter)', 'Fey Step (Encounter)'
Notes

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-03, 08:43 PM
Sariel cleaves some rats, but the swarm keeps going and going...

tiny tim
2010-06-03, 08:47 PM
I'm gonna use that to shift 1 square towards the rat.

Naragog steps forward and unleashes another viscous series of blows.

Reaping Strike:

Attack:
[roll0]

Damage(if hit):
[roll1]

Damage(if miss):

Still not marking him.

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-03, 08:50 PM

HP 29/47 Bloodied 23 Healing Surge 11 (0 used /12)
AC 20 Fort 17 Reflex 15 Will 16

[roll0]

Undeterred, Barag ignores the pain and instead stomps heavily, its 300 pounds sending a shockwave around him.

Free: mark them both

Standard: Roots of stone (burst 1, creates area)
[roll1] vs. AC
[roll2] vs. AC
[roll3]
If hit, if they leave the area, the are knocked prone and take 3 damage.

Move: shift North-west

[roll4]

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-03, 09:06 PM
The lycanthrope evades the next assaults, but a few rats in the swarm do not have this luck and get impaled by roots.

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-03, 09:23 PM
"I hope someone's got something shiny on them, we'll need silver to make them stay down!" Stoneseeker stamps his rod into the ground like a miniature version of Barag's legs, and utters "http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/7328/visionsofblood.png!" at the horde of rats attacking his companion. "And don't forget whatever's behind that statue, they're invoking something nasty!"

Using Sariel's Steel Monsoon to shift 1, to the space directly south of Sariel. Using Standard Action to invoke Visions of Blood on the rat swarm to give them some nightmare fuel in the form of a zombie kitten swarm.
Visions of Blood:
[roll0]
[roll1]
Using Move action to move to East square adjacent to Adolf.
Using Minor action to activate Stone's Endurance, granting myself and all adjacent allies (due to Kord's Resilience feat) resist 5 until the end of my next turn. The way I'm seeing this, that affects Adolf, Naragog, and Aeris.

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-03, 09:24 PM
Oops, fogot stat block.
Von Stoneseeker Bilkano (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=211549), Goliath Invoker
Init +0 HP 34/34 Bloodied 17 Healing Surge 8 (0 used /9)

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-03, 10:16 PM
The swarm becomes agitated. The nightmarish visions have weakned their resolve.

The first rat swarm and the wererat are bloodied, by the way.

Koboldshroud
2010-06-04, 12:17 AM
Aeris has not attacked yet but simply moved in her previous turn, she nows moves closer to the wererat
Above left the one titled AD

She quickly thrusts at the wererat with a piercing strike

[roll0]
[roll1]
Roll is against AC
That right?

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-04, 10:09 AM
Oy, I was all kinds of mistaking that last round. Visions of Blood also gives a -1 penalty to all of the target's defenses until the start of my next turn.

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-04, 10:31 AM
Round 3

Updated battlemap
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/148/fight1s.jpg

The swarms continue their carnage. One chews on Sariel for 4 damage and ongoing 3 (save ends), and the other goes for a new target, Naragog, who is hit for 9 damage and ongoing 3 (save ends).

I assume Barag will use his Warden's Fury power. Go ahead and roll if so.

The wererat mage runs in the direction of the statue and casts a quick spell from a scroll as he does. A burst of thunder centered on Adolf's square shakes the combatants. Adolf and Naragog resist the primal magic, but Aeris and Stoneseeker are dazed (save ends). Fortunately for them, the goliath's resilience prevents most of the damage. They each are hit for 4 thunder damage.

Adolf's turn!

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-04, 10:43 AM
I assume Barag will use his Warden's Fury power. Go ahead and roll if so.

Omnik, by going into my old position, the rats abandoned the area I created (which is doughnut-shaped around my old position - see page 272 - but not the space where I was standing), so they are knocked prone and take three damage. Not sure if you took the -2 to hit into consideration when attacking.

Warden's Fury
[roll0]vs Fortitude
[roll1]
If hit, slowed and grants combat advantage to everyone until end of my next turn.

Lord_Asmodeus
2010-06-04, 10:44 AM
Adolf Bärzeiger

The hulking bugbear growled softly under his breath, frustrated at his lack of success, but he drew in a deep breath to calm himself and stepped forward, smashing his fists out in a sweeping move toward the wounded wererat, in an attempt to smash him to the ground and throw him back towards his own allies.

Dragons Tail attack (dex vs reflex I believe)
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

If it hits, another 7 damage from Stone Fist Flurry of Blows, and if it does and he goes prone, I'm going to switch spots with him

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-04, 11:27 AM
The wererat's wounds are severe, but slowly regenerating. The lycanthrope takes a chance and tries to escape the tight formation.

OOC: OA from Aeris, Adolf, Naragog and Barag. Koboldshroud, this opportunity attack is a basic melee attack with whichever weapon you decide to use.

Meanwhile, the chanting coming from the area of the statue intensifies.

Group 2 PCs' turns!

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-04, 11:36 AM

HP 29/47 Bloodied 23 Healing Surge 11 (0 used /12)
AC 20 Fort 17 Reflex 15 Will 16 Speed 6

OA: [roll0]
[roll1]
If it hits, ratman is slowed until the end of my next turn

Increasingly concerned with the wizardry going on at the statue, Barag takes one step back, disentangling himself from the battle. Turning around, he spies the rat wizard, and charges, his sword glowing with energy as he holds it aloft.

Move: shift northwest

Standard: Charge at the wizard (precisely 6 squares away :smallbiggrin:)
[roll2] vs AC
[roll3]+[roll4]

Free: Mark wizard

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-04, 11:40 AM
The first wererat is hit hard by the warforged's attack, and roots instantly burst from the ground to grab his legs.

Barag then changes his target and slices the wererat mage's weak flesh. As he looks towards the statue, he notices another of the vile lycanthropes burning incense on an altar dedicated to a monstrous rat god.

OOC: Sorry about the confusion, but you can't move NW...that's where the wererat will stop, if the others don't kill him with their OA. It's well possible that they do, but we'll have to wait to resume your action.

Nevermind, you can simply shift SW and it achieves the same thing.

Lord_Asmodeus
2010-06-04, 12:03 PM
Adolf Bärzeiger

As the Wererat tries to break free Adolf snaps his fists out in an attempt to break the bones of the fleeing creature

OA

Basic Melee Attack
[roll0]
Basic Melee Damage
[roll1]

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-04, 12:08 PM
The wererat squeaks one last time before Adolf's fist crushes his face.

Wererat 1 is kaput.

Koboldshroud
2010-06-04, 03:38 PM
Aeris quickly legs it to maneuver to the opposite side of the rat-swarm to Naragpg

[roll0]

Koboldshroud
2010-06-04, 04:00 PM
Sorry peoples, wrong throw, [ROLL=Savingthrow]1d20[ROLL]

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-04, 06:15 PM
With the most immediate threat at least stymied for now, Stoneseeker continues heading for those strange voices.

Move: Northwest, Northwest, Northwest, North, North. Should end up just out of the rocks.

[roll0]

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-05, 07:48 PM
Sariel takes 3 damage (ongoing), but saves against more damage. The warlord deals a solid blow to the swarm (with a +4 power bonus to her next attack rolls against the rat swarm, until the end of her next turn).

OOC: Used Warlord's Favor.

tiny tim
2010-06-05, 08:12 PM
Naragog growls once again before he unleashes a series of blows against the swarm that hit him.

Reaping Strike vs. AC

attack:
[roll0]

Damage(if hit):
[roll1]

Damage(if miss):

Init +3 HP 24/42 Bloodied 21 Healing Surge 13 (0 used /11)

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-05, 08:41 PM
Naragog hacks many rats into pieces, but they keep going.

Round 4

The dragonborn gets bitten again, for 7 damage and ongoing 3, while Sariel defends herself by kicking the rats around.

OOC: The ongoing damage doesn't stack, so even if you were still affected by a previous wound dealing ongoing 3, you only still take 3 each turn, not 6. Just in case you weren't sure.

Visibly frightened by the relentless warforged, the wererat mage steps back and shoots a magic missile at him, but Barag evades it (barely).

Adolf's turn!

Lord_Asmodeus
2010-06-06, 07:02 AM
Adolf Bärzeiger

The wererat dead, Adolf turns his attention to the thinning swarm of rats. Kicking and stomping them with his huge feet, he attempts to crush and knock over as many as possible.

Dragons Tail attack Dex vs Fort. I don't know if there's combat advantage here, if so just add 2 on to that
[roll0]
Dragons Tail damage
[roll1]

Plus an additional 7 from Stone Fist Flurry of Blows if it lands and he is prone if so as well

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-06, 03:50 PM
The dark chanting comes to a climax. An ethereal maw of dark green smoke materializes over our heroes' heads, flies arounds in search of a target and bites furiously through Barag's armor before dissipating. The warforged is hit for 14 poison damage and ongoing 5 poison.

Group 2 PCs, it's your turn!

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-06, 03:58 PM

HP 41+4/47 Bloodied 23 Healing Surge 11 (2 used /12)
AC 22 Fort 19 Reflex 17 Will 18 Speed 6

"Is that all your dark God can do?" Barag asks in a gruff voice, quite unlike his usual, "Bah, I thought you were a threat"

Barag's runes suddenly activate, all at once, and the cracks and wounds on his body seem to close, as he steps up to keep the wizard off-balance.

[roll0]

Minor: Warforged Resolve (Heals 4, gives 4 temp HP, allows another saving throw)
[roll1]

Standard: Second Wind (Cloak of Walking wounded: use two healing surges)

Move: northwest

Free: Mark wizard

[roll2]

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-06, 05:32 PM
Having recovered from the attack, Stoneseeker runs out from between the rocks, once again chanting, "http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/6432/divinebolts.png!" while holding his rod in the air, crackling with electricity.

Moving 5 squares west.
Divine Bolts on the Mage.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Init +0 HP 30/34 Bloodied 17 Healing Surge 8 (0 used /9)

tiny tim
2010-06-06, 08:11 PM
Naragog swings once again at the swarm of rats before him, hoping this time to finally destroy them, mean while his armor starts glowing.

Reaping Strike:

Attack:[roll0]

Damage(if hit): [roll1]
Damage(if miss): 5

Afterwards activating my dwarven armor as a free action to regain HP as if I had used a healing surge for 13 HP

Save: [roll2]

Init +3 HP 27/42 Bloodied 21 Healing Surge 13 (0 used /11)

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-06, 08:25 PM
Unfortunately, the divine bolts miss their target.

Meanwhile, Naragog's sword pulverizes the last rats in the swarm closest to him.

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-07, 11:14 AM
Sariel tries to drive away the remaining rats with her falchion, but her efforts are for nothing.

NPC'ed Sariel misses with Viper's Strike.

Aeris' turn!

Koboldshroud
2010-06-08, 06:26 AM
Aeris quickly sprints to the bottem left of the boulder closest to her.

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-09, 01:36 AM
The wererat mage falls to his knees and surrenders. Meanwhile, the lycanthrope at the altar shouts something in Deep Speech and turns himself into a swarm of rats which escapes down a small fissure in the cavern floor.

OOC: Combat over. I simply assume the other PCs help Sariel cleave through the rats of the remaining swarm, without much difficulty. Those who are suffering ongoing damage do not receive more after this.

Barag must save against Filth Fever.

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-09, 04:24 AM

[roll0]

Barag can feel the strange sickness attacking the sap and wood inside his body. It is a new feeling, but after a moment of consideration, he decides there is little to be done, and ignores it.

Turning to more immediate matters, he restraints the wizard, making sure his hands are properly immobilised. He considers gagging him, but realises he is going to have to answer questions. He takes him to the rest of the group.

"I must report that one of the attacks gave me lasting injury" he says, "Also, we need decide what we do with this magician, since he surrendered."

horngeek
2010-06-09, 04:37 AM
Sariel sits down on the ground. "...we'll see if we can find someone who can cure your injuries.

Let's have a little talk with this rat."

Her eyes are hard as she glares at the wererat.

Koboldshroud
2010-06-09, 09:58 AM
Aeris sheaths her weapons and frowns
"If that other one can become a swarm, who is to say this one can't? i think more than hand restraints are in order, though im not sure what exactly.."

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-09, 11:33 AM

[roll0]

Barag can feel the strange sickness attacking the sap and wood inside his body. It is a new feeling, but after a moment of consideration, he decides there is little to be done, and ignores it.

Turning to more immediate matters, he restraints the wizard, making sure his hands are properly immobilised. He considers gagging him, but realises he is going to have to answer questions. He takes him to the rest of the group.

"I must report that one of the attacks gave me lasting injury" he says, "Also, we need decide what we do with this magician, since he surrendered."

Barag looses one healing surge until he is cured of his fever.

The wererat squeaks and spits.

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-09, 02:22 PM

Stoneseeker asks, "Why did you attack us?" to the wererat in Giant, not particularly expecting it to be any more successful in establishing communication. An idea forms in his mind if things continue on such rocky ground, but he waits for a reaction.

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-09, 10:28 PM
Not yet receiving a response, Stoneseeker takes one of his Journeybreads, tears a bite off for himself to eat, and tosses the remainder to the wererat.

Also, I'm stashing my everburning torch for now.

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-09, 10:36 PM
The wererat doesn't reply to the sentence in Giant. He cautiously extends his arm to grab the piece of bread, smells it and proceeds to eat it quite voraciously.

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-10, 02:23 AM
"Ah, food sharing," says Barag, "Most ingenious. What should we try next?"

horngeek
2010-06-10, 02:25 AM
Sariel looks at the wererat. "Do you speak Common?"

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-10, 02:33 AM
The wererat stares at Sariel.

All players: You may roll Insight if you want.

horngeek
2010-06-10, 02:39 AM
Sariel looks back, frowning.

[roll0]

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-10, 02:42 AM

[roll0]

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-10, 04:00 PM
Stoneseeker squints his eyes and tries to make sense of the goings-on.
[roll0]

tiny tim
2010-06-10, 04:28 PM
[roll0]

Let's see.....

Naragog scratches his head at the odd ratman.

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-10, 04:41 PM
The wererat doesn't seem to understand Common.

OOC: Is all you can make out from his expression.

Lord_Asmodeus
2010-06-10, 04:42 PM
Adolf watches the rat-man closely, trying to discern the truth of the situation

He also speaks up, hoping maybe he can speak a language the creature knows. If it knows Goblin "Can you understand my words?"

If it doesn't "Können Sie? verstehen mein Text?" (heh, I'm using German as a stand in for Goblinoid)

insight
[roll0]

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-10, 04:53 PM
The creature reacts to Adolf speaking goblin, but you don't think he necessarily understands the words.

Lord_Asmodeus
2010-06-10, 05:20 PM
Adolf Bärzeiger

Adolf observed the wererat coolly and continued to speak Goblin, hoping the creatures initial reaction was surprise he could speak the same language. If he understands Do you speak Goblin? Or merely know of those that do? The last bit is more personal musing, as the creature couldn't answer if he didn't know what Adolf was saying

If he doesn't
"Sprechen Sie Kobold? Oder auch ausschließlich kennen über derjenige jene ausführen?"

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-10, 05:37 PM
The wererat squeaks and looks around, exasperated.

horngeek
2010-06-10, 05:51 PM
Sariel frowns, and speaks in Elven. <Do you speak Elven?>

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-10, 06:00 PM
The wererat doesn't react to elven.

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-10, 06:04 PM

"I am afraid this is taking us nowhere," rumbles Barag, "I suggest we take him as a hostage until we get out of the cave, then release him so he can go back to his tribe. We are the invaders here, and the sooner we get out of their territory, the better. Having a hostage may prevent further fights, too, which will be a win for everyone involved."

tiny tim
2010-06-10, 06:07 PM
If they are a tribe. This could just be a few wandering rogues looking to loot travelers. We should take him to the local authorities.

Says Naragog before muttering something in Draconic.

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-10, 06:11 PM
If they are a tribe. This could just be a few wandering rogues looking to loot travelers. We should take him to the local authorities.

"Wandering rogues?" Barag sounds incredulous, "Do you think they lug that rat statue around with them just in case they need to curse someone? No, the battle must have called their attention, and ambushed us in our way back out through their caves - their temple, more than likely. The only crime I see is ours, trespassing in their lands"

tiny tim
2010-06-10, 06:22 PM
Well maybe this is their base of operations.

Then a thought crosses Naragog's mind.

Why wasn't this here on the way in?

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-10, 07:28 PM
Stoneseeker shakes his head. "Something was interfering with light when we came in, we could hardly see anything that wasn't covered in glowing runes somewhere. However... if we assume this is their temple, they would have attacked us while we came in. Most worshippers get upset when something interrupts ceremonies, not five minutes after." He then crosses his arms, "We're also forgetting why we came in. Which reminds me, we may need to provide funeral services for Veril once all of these bushfires are doused.

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-11, 02:29 AM

Well maybe this is their base of operations.

"Go ahead and think that, if it makes you feel better." There is a slight mocking tone to Barag's calm voice, "But they still have committed no crime that we know of. And us? We probably have."

Why wasn't this here on the way in?

"There is no way to know if it was here on the way in. We were running, following moving glowing runes, and our own light sources were wanning in the presence of... whatever that summoning was."

Stoneseeker shakes his head. "Something was interfering with light when we came in, we could hardly see anything that wasn't covered in glowing runes somewhere. However... if we assume this is their temple, they would have attacked us while we came in. Most worshippers get upset when something interrupts ceremonies, not five minutes after."

"Most worshippers also don't live in their temple, though," Barag points out, "If this guy saw us running through, he might have needed those five minutes just to find someone to help him."

He then crosses his arms, "We're also forgetting why we came in. Which reminds me, we may need to provide funeral services for Veril once all of these bushfires are doused.

"Interesting priority. But what would I know?"

Sariel leans forwards. "Exactly. We've been taken somewhere else."

OOC: I'm sorry, but that is metaplaying right there. Yes, I am aware too that we've been sent to the past, but not Barag. About the only clue is the fact that the first room was 'cleaned up' and repaired, but nothing to do with the rats.

horngeek
2010-06-11, 03:17 AM
Sariel, in that case, stays silent.

Koboldshroud
2010-06-11, 08:30 AM
Aeris scratches her hair for a second
Question... Should we not find someone who can speak with animals/ it would not surprise me if it only speaks... well... what ever it is normal rats speak, no?

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-11, 11:14 AM
OOC: Don't forget that the other one clearly spoke before turning into a swarm. It was Deep Speech; the most knowledgeable among you probably have heard of this language before, even if they don't understand it.

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-11, 06:20 PM
Stoneseeker looks with his eyes and not his hands for anything distinguishing itself from the norm on the wererat's possessions, as well as anything out of place that's magical.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-11, 06:27 PM
The wererat has two pouches, one seems to be for spellcasting components by the looks of it, and also a magical Staff of Storms +1.

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-12, 09:46 AM
"There's nothing worth staying around here. Let's chalk up this misunderstanding and be on our way. Look out for our Death Dog, we've got favors to return it."

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-13, 12:42 PM
"There's nothing worth staying around here. Let's chalk up this misunderstanding and be on our way. Look out for our Death Dog, we've got favors to return it."

"I agree," says Barag, "I wish we could make it clearer to them, but since none of us talk their language, I'm afraid that keeping him close until we leave, and then releasing him without any more damage would be the best way forward at this point."

OOC: I'm open to other suggestions about what to do, but unless we want to kill him outright, without communication we are not going to get anything more out of this situation, and we risk getting bogged down in the discussion (always a danger, in PbP). I assume no-one is interested in the magic item?

Lord_Asmodeus
2010-06-16, 09:21 PM
Adolf Bärzeiger

Adolf shrugs his large furry shoulders. "I don't know the best path to continue, but this seems the closest to it, so I shall also agree, on condition of course that our friend here comes to no harm. He surrendered to us and I'll not have my word broken if I can do anything to help it."

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-16, 09:32 PM
The companions take the wererat with them to the mouth of the cave. Once outside, they notice several things. First, it is early morning. Second, it is rather cold, and a layer of rime covers the plants, which is more reminiscent of late fall than the middle of summer. Third, a man laid against the rock wall is slowly awakening. He seems human, although his presence, or if your prefer his aura is disconcerting, almost as if he was out of a dream or not completely real.

Bradoch
2010-06-16, 11:44 PM
Oh dear melora, what was that. One minute i'm meditating, the next it felt like the spirit of melora was throwing me up a waterfall. Where am I?

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-17, 03:44 AM

As they leave the cave, Barag turns around and releases the priest, allowing him to remain, if he so wishes, in the cave. His inexpressive face is unreadable, but he feels that the situation could have gone better.

Turning around, he takes in the scene before them, mentally comparing it to what was there before they came in. Then, he notices the human. "I am afraid I cannot tell you with certainty;" Barag says in his calm voice, "We seem to have been teleported ourselves."

Take 10 in Nature to identify the forest around us; also roll [roll0] for possible flash of brilliance.

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-17, 09:44 AM
Barag is almost certain that the hills and the trees are actually the same, in the Moon Hills.

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-18, 02:32 AM
Von Stoneseeker Bilkano (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=211549)

The goliath squints at the "awakened" human. "How long have you been meditating? You've not heard anything... Not ordinary?"

The last thing we saw before "things happened" was Veril getting eaten so I'm looking for tracks of a death dog-like animal. Possibly leading up to and ending at the cleric's current position, :elan: dun-dun-dunh! But seriously, it might have been "in range" of the "teleportation" spell, so it might be around still.

[roll0]

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-18, 11:36 AM

After carefully examining the area, Barag determines that there is no immediate danger. His runes dim and then disappear, and his arms retracts, liberating his sword, which he replaces in the scab.

"I remain uncertain of what the magics in the cave did," he says out loud to the group, "but I can confirm they did not send us anywhere. We are still in the Moon Hills, but it is no longer the moment we came in. I am afraid a number of weeks may have passed by while we were inside"

Then, going back to the stranger, Barag politely introduces himself.

tiny tim
2010-06-18, 01:44 PM
Naragog grumbles
I told you that statue wasn't there on the way in. I don't like this. It reeks of treachery.

Koboldshroud
2010-06-18, 03:33 PM
Why are we put through nonsense like this?

Aeris Facepalms

Why!

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-18, 03:34 PM
Because the DM likes it that way. :smalltongue:

The companions wonder where those strange words came from. They simply shake their head and forgot all about it.

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-18, 05:01 PM
"Huh? What was I thinking about again? Oh, yes, that's right."

After the amnesia dust subsides, Stoneseeker continues searching for tracks.

Bradoch
2010-06-18, 09:23 PM
I don't know why I ended up sitting here, in this winter scene, when I was just enjoying melora's beautiful nature in the summer time. But you do seem like a group that knows how to handle yourselves. If you say that something is attacking you, perhaps my connection with Melora could be of assistance to you? I'm not a warrior myself, but I promise that I won't abandon you in a fight.

Koboldshroud
2010-06-19, 02:54 AM
So.. say a giant undead looking dog decided to gnaw on my leg, you'd be willing to give it a right kicking?

Bradoch
2010-06-19, 06:28 AM
Well, to quote the vernacular of my more militant brothers, I'm not a mace to the face kind of guy. I'd much prefer to stand back and let Melroa's holy light blast upon them. However, for undead, I would make special arrangements.

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-20, 01:24 AM
"Very well, I suppose that also means you won't be... 'Macing our faces,' too. Perhaps you might have some talents to share if Barag's condition worsens." Stoneseeker taps his forhead. "It appears I've gotten ahead of myself. I am Stoneseeker, of Bilkano. We arrived here with orders to-" He holds his chin in his hand, "... Well, I suppose with time's passage, our orders are not worth much." His eyes widen as a dreadful thought surfaces.
If several weeks have passed since our entrance... I hope Orest was able to keep his box from Finzar without us...
"Perhaps it would be best to explain ourselves as we make our way back to Fallcrest. We have unfinished business to review."

horngeek
2010-06-20, 01:27 AM
Sariel looks at the newcomer in interest. "My name is Sariel."

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-20, 04:09 AM
"Perhaps it would be best to explain ourselves as we make our way back to Fallcrest. We have unfinished business to review."

"Agreed," says Barag, "We should get going. I am afraid our employee will not be happy about our delay as it is. Also, we have lost our tracker, but I can cover his side of the job, if it gets to it."

In the spirit of his words, Barag readjusts his backpack and sets out to do a brief reconnaissance while the others get ready. ((take ten in nature & perception))

tiny tim
2010-06-20, 12:07 PM
Greetings. I am Naragog, follower of Bahamut.

Then, to everyone else,

Whose to say we did not move back a few months in time. Maybe we have yet to be hired for this job?

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-20, 01:03 PM
"Hilarious thought, I'll give you two points for that," Stoneseeker laughs, "Asking ourselves questions will not provide us with answers, mountains don't climb themselves, and I'd rather not concern myself with invisible flying monkeys until they threaten us."

Lord_Asmodeus
2010-06-20, 02:00 PM
Adolf Bärzeiger

Adolf studies the newcomer, head to toe, and is not entirely impressed. He grunts something in Goblin under his breath. "Melora is fine I suppose, though for obvious reasons I find Moradin more favorable, as he is my own patron, and Erathis is patron of my people."

Bradoch
2010-06-20, 07:25 PM
I'll join along with you if that's alright then. Perhaps Melora can shed some light on these circumstances, and perhaps my talents can be useful along the way. I can assure you that I work with all faiths, my path is to help all life. Regardless of whom among the pantheon they serve.

Bradoch
2010-06-21, 08:16 AM
Oh, and do forgive my rude estate, as I seem to have forgotten all manners. I am Warren Brephon, cleric of melora and preserver of life. He picks himself up off the ground and gathers himself together. He looks around at each of these new adventurers, wondering what melora had in store for him. Shall we be off to Fallcrest then?

Kaiser Omnik
2010-06-21, 12:59 PM
Stoneseeker notices nothing out of the ordinary.

Barag does some reconnaissance and finds the surrounding area rather quiet. He finds some tracks that seem to belong to a few wererats, but they don't look too fresh.

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-06-21, 01:34 PM

Barag returns to the group to report.

"Surroundings are quiet," he says as he arrives, "We should move out, before that changes. Given our lack of success communicating with the wererats, they could be mustering forces for revenge. Mr. Priest, you have decided to come with us? If so, I'd suggest you remain close to the center of the group. I'll take point."

Barag then encourages everyone to get moving.