PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Envy

Choco
2010-06-01, 09:56 AM
Well, due to another unceremonious death, I am left with the task of creating another character. This time I thought it would be fun creating a character based on Envy from Fullmental Alchemist. So far I got Changeling (for playability/optimization purposes, changeling wins for 0LA) for the race and definitely will do 4 levels in Warshaper once it becomes available. So what else should I throw in there? Feel free to do a full 20 level progression with skills and feats if that is what floats your boat, I looking for any kind of ideas :smallcool:

Heliomance
2010-06-01, 10:28 AM
Master Transmogrifist?

Choco
2010-06-01, 10:29 AM
Master Transmogrifist?

What book is that in?

Heliomance
2010-06-01, 10:32 AM
Complete Arcane

Choco
2010-06-01, 10:43 AM
Looks cool, but I don't think having to be a minimum 7th level arcane caster would fit the theme well.

Assassin89
2010-06-01, 10:53 AM
I guess the setup for a combination of Warshaper and Master Transmogrifist would be Wizard or Sorcerer 8/Warshaper 4/Master Transmogrifist 8

Around level 7, the wizard should meet the required 5 ranks in Disguise and 2 ranks in Bluff. I can only think of one feat to take and that is eschew materials, which is a requirement for Master Transmogrifist.

Bharg
2010-06-01, 10:56 AM
I fear that D&D homunculus are not quite the same, but a doppelganger will probably do fine.
Some kind of magic experiment with alter self and lots of natural weapons would fit it the best... Polymorph would probably be too much, though I probably forgot most of the manga anyway...

Vampire D
2010-06-01, 11:01 AM
Go Monk with ferral(this may not be correct spelling) template and feel free to take some lvs of psy. warrior (graft weapon and other combat powers plus good BAB that will help you replicate envys abilities) and finally a few lvs of fighter for some combat feats. You might consider the feats psy. fist and greater psy. fist. In conclusion you end up with alot of unarmed attacks, second to best BAB, 4d6 additional damage on a hit of your choice(optional), and versitility to repicate any action envy dose in FMA.

In addition: Envy is the coolest Homculi in FMA, good choice.

Ryuuk
2010-06-01, 11:03 AM
I don't remember much of Envy, but why not something with this:

Changeling (Race from Eberron and Monster Manual III, humanoid and changes shape at will)
Warshaper (Prestige class from Complete warrior, basic info is here (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/prestige2.pl?Warshaper))

Warshaper gives you boosted strength, con, natural attacks and immunity to critical hits when you're not in your normal form. As to the base classes he should take, you have free reign here, since Changelings qualify for Warshaper by virtue of their race. Whatever you feel is most appropriate will do, but something that does melee will probably work best. Maybe Rogue, Ranger, even Barbarian?

nekomata2
2010-06-01, 11:11 AM
In addition: Envy is the coolest Homculi in FMA, good choice.

Pfff, Greed (both old and new) is the best. As for the build, how are you gonna get the giant dog form? Also, Envy can do full out form altering shapes, such as that dog, and a regular dog, so you may need full polymorph to do the transformations justice.

Heliomance
2010-06-01, 11:12 AM
I don't remember much of Envy, but why not something with this:

Changeling (Race from Eberron and Monster Manual III, humanoid and changes shape at will)
Warshaper (Prestige class from Complete warrior, basic info is here (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/prestige2.pl?Warshaper))

Warshaper gives you boosted strength, con, natural attacks and immunity to critical hits when you're not in your normal form. As to the base classes he should take, you have free reign here, since Changelings qualify for Warshaper by virtue of their race. Whatever you feel is most appropriate will do, but something that does melee will probably work best. Maybe Rogue, Ranger, even Barbarian?Changeling and Warshaper are mentioned right there in the OP :smallconfused:

Ryuuk
2010-06-01, 11:17 AM
Err... Crap, I think I should have actually read it, not skimmed it.

Prime32
2010-06-01, 11:18 AM
Info on Envy (spoilers)

Can take the form of any human, has also taken the form of animals smaller than humans. Does not appear able to take the form of inanimate objects, though he can mimic clothes as part of the disguise.
Has a supply of souls within his body which will return him to life if killed, though he only has a finite number of them.
Real form is a Huge monster covered in screaming faces with a sticky extending tongue.
Real real form is a Fine fetus-like parasite which can take over peoples' bodies.

Choco
2010-06-01, 11:34 AM
Info on Envy (spoilers)

Can take the form of any human, has also taken the form of animals smaller than humans. Does not appear able to take the form of inanimate objects, though he can mimic clothes as part of the disguise.
Has a supply of souls within his body which will return him to life if killed, though he only has a finite number of them.
Real form is a Huge monster covered in screaming faces with a sticky extending tongue.
Real real form is a Fine fetus-like parasite which can take over peoples' bodies.

Well, my DM would not let me get away with THAT, so I was thinking assuming his/her "real" form is that of a humanoid. This is just a character I am basing on Envy, not a flat-out clone or "stat out X character" type thing.

And yes, Envy is the coolest homumculus :smallbiggrin:

Wendy Powell (Envy's VA) is rather cool too, got to meet her at a con once.

Ryuuk
2010-06-01, 11:38 AM
Alright, lets see if I can actually contribute:

Feats:
Quick Change: Races of Eberron, you can change shape as a move action, not amazing, but needed as a prerequisite for...
Disturbing Visage: Races of Eberron, a nice tactical feat that can give opponents a -5 to weapon damage, -2 to attacks and -2 to AC with bluff checks in different circumstances. Doesn't work it counts as mind affecting, so it will probably be of limited use at higher levels.
Combat Panache: Player's Handbook II, a tactical feat similar to the above, it lets you redirect melee attacks, play dead and catch a foe flatfooted and for a penalty on attack rolls.

Class:
Changeling Rogue 1: Races of Eberron, 10 skill points per substitution level, but you're biggest boon is going to be at first. Social Intuition replaces Trapfinding, which lets you take 10 on most of the social skills and perform Sense Motive and Gather Info checks faster.

Even levels in a skill monkey class would get a bit buffer with the boost from Warshaper, so Rogue 3, maybe 5 might be a good place to start. Sneak attack, Evasion, Uncanny Dodge, acrobatic and social skills all seem fitting.

Choco
2010-06-01, 11:42 AM
Well if the DM allows I will take the Feral template, that one is too good to pass up.

Thanks for pointing out Changeling Rogue, that will most definitely come in handy.

EDIT: Oh, and as far as y'all know, does the Fast Healing gained from Warshaper stack with Feral, or is this a case of "only the best one applies" since it does not specify that it stacks if the character already had Fast healing?

SaintRidley
2010-06-01, 11:47 AM
Rogue is good, especially with the sub level. I'd consider at least a one level dip in Warlock - Beguiling Influence is a great invocation for a shapeshifter, party face, or someone who just needs to lie.

Knaight
2010-06-01, 11:49 AM
Alright, lets see if I can actually contribute:

Feats:
Disturbing Visage: Races of Eberron, a nice tactical feat that can give opponents a -5 to weapon damage, -2 to attacks and -2 to AC with bluff checks in different circumstances. Doesn't work it counts as mind affecting, so it will probably be of limited use at higher levels.

See if you can get this reflavored as disguise, at which point you have Envy's favorite trick down. Its like what happened to Hughes. Fairly early in the story too, so its probably not spoiler worthy material.

Person_Man
2010-06-01, 11:56 AM
Binder would work well.

At level 1 you can bind Naberius, which grants continuous supernatural Disguise Self, Faster Ability Healing, Naberius’s Skills, Persuasive Words, and Silver Tongue. Faster healing heals ability damage every round. This is mostly useful in that it allows the abuse of several potent feats and drugs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101) and the Festering Anger (Book of Vile Darkness) disease. Persuasive Words is Command (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/command.htm), which is a useful low level Save or Suck. Silver Tongue gives large buffs to Diplomacy and Bluff, which is awesome when combined with the Disguise Self ability.

Then at level 3 (or level 1 with the Improved Binder feat) you could bind Dahlver-Nar, which grants Mad Soul, Shield Self, Maddening Moan, Natural Armor. Shield Self makes one target share 50% of your damage (Will negates). Maddening Moan is a potent area of effect Save or Daze effect (Will negates, Mind Effecting). And the nifty Natural Armor bonus is based off your Con.

Plus the whole "binding souls" thing could easily be re-fluffed to "taking souls."

Prime32
2010-06-01, 03:16 PM
If you go the binder route, don't take that as a reason to drop changeling. Disguise self stacks with the changeling's shapeshifting ability to make your disguise nigh-impenetrable.

"Faster ability healing" would cover some of the Stone Regeneration which isn't covered by fast healing.