PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Storm Sorcerer Blasts/Bursts? [4E]

OMG PONIES
2010-06-01, 11:04 AM
So I've been kicking around the idea of a storm sorcerer (lvl 16) who zaps the largest area possible, and I turn to the Playground for assistance. I know there's a sorcerer power (Arcane Empowerment, I think) that allows you to add 1 to the size of your blasts/bursts for a turn or two. I could swear there was a feat that lets you add 1 to the size of your thunder bursts/blasts, but I can't find it for the life of me. Any ideas?

Also, is there any gear I can use to make my thunder/lightning powers bigger and badder? I'm collecting the whole Gifts of the Queen set, even though one piece is redundant and another is kind of useless, along with a Challenge-Seeking Lancing Dagger. Any other gear ideas are welcome.

Kurald Galain
2010-06-01, 11:10 AM
I could swear there was a feat that lets you add 1 to the size of your thunder bursts/blasts, but I can't find it for the life of me.
Resounding Thunder, from the PHB.

Also, Staff of Expansion can increase it further, as can Enlarge Spell if you're willing to play a wizard instead.

Mando Knight
2010-06-01, 11:21 AM
Resounding Thunder, from the PHB.

Also, Staff of Expansion can increase it further, as can Enlarge Spell if you're willing to play a wizard instead.

And then you use Thunderwave, and blast out an entire column of enemies with one attack. :smallamused:

TricksyAndFalse
2010-06-01, 11:31 AM
[...] Enlarge Spell if you're willing to play a wizard instead.

I was going to suggest taking a multiclass feat to qualify, but then I saw they errata'd it. You're right, the feat is only worth it for base-class wizards now. :smallfrown:

OMG PONIES
2010-06-01, 11:45 AM
I noticed the errata to Enlarge Spell as well while going through the character builder, so I rearranged some feats. I'm thinking a Windrise Ports background with Sneak of Shadows and Warrior of the Wild is good for some bonus damage, plus the feats that allow you to use the damage again on an AP.

Kurald Galain
2010-06-01, 11:49 AM
I'm thinking a Windrise Ports background with Sneak of Shadows and Warrior of the Wild is good for some bonus damage, plus the feats that allow you to use the damage again on an AP.

For a sorcerer? No, not really.

OMG PONIES
2010-06-01, 12:31 PM
For a sorcerer? No, not really.

Do you care to elaborate? I couldn't think of any decent damage-boosting feats that I'm not already taking, but using daggers means (I think) Sneak Attack once/encounter, and Hunter's Quarry for two turns. With Slaying Action and...Predatory Action? I forget the name of the ranger one, I get to do 2Sneak+2Quarry damage in one round, with the ability to do Quarry damage again the next round. It sounds good to me, but what am I missing? I've listed the feats I'm using below, if it helps:

1 Sorcerous Blade Channeling
2 Dual Implement Spellcaster
4 Superior Implement Prof. (Lancing dagger)
6 Tempest Magic
8 Sneak of Shadows
10 Warrior of the Wild
11 Slaying Action
12 Predatory Action?
14 Resounding Thunder
16 currently empty--up for discussion. Backstabber (or the related feat for rangers) doesn't seem worth the investment, but I might be wrong.

Snowstorm
2010-06-01, 12:58 PM
For fun, I had worked up a level 12 Genasi Sorcerer that Paragon-Multiclassed into Wizard, and specialized in fire magics.

Damage Breakdown: (20 STR, 20 INT)
Int Mod: +5
Draconic Power: +7 on any Arcane power
Elemental Empowerment: +5 on any elemental Wizard power.
Dragontooth Flame Wand: +2 Item bonus to arcane Fire spells; +2 bonus to damage.
Enhancement Bonus: +3
Dragontooth Master's Wand of Scorching Burst: +1d6 to target in center of a Scorching Burst (Property); (+2 bonus to damage. From the offhand Dragontooth Wand Property. CB adds it, may not be RAW, though.)

So, her at-will Scorching Burst does 2d6+26 to the center target, and all of her Wizard multiclass spells get a +26 damage mod.

Feats:
Arcane Initiate
Novice Power
Acolyte Power
Adept Power
Elemental Empowerment
Superior Implement Training (Dragontooth Wand)
Arcane Implement Proficiency (Wands)
War Wizardry

If you really wanted to push it, retrain the last two feats for Dual Implement Spellcaster and Astral Fire for a +30-31 damage mod, and ignore your sorcerer attack powers.

Higher might be possible with a Staff of Ruin and a Dragonshard, but I'm away from the CB at the moment. This was mostly an exercise in amusement, and seeing just how one-trick I could make a fire caster. :)

OMG PONIES
2010-06-01, 03:36 PM
@Snowstorm:

I don't mean to be rude, but would you consider changing your post to its own thread? I think you'd be able to get some more feedback on your awesome "one-trick" mage, without derailing this one into two separate discussions.