PDA

View Full Version : Tarquin - Draketooth Connection Guessing

Maldraugedhen
2010-06-01, 01:34 PM
So, obviously, potential spoilers will abound in this thread.

I've got a few, some more likely than others.

Tarquin and Girard know each other from an earlier Empire he established. Girard was robbing them--not quite robbing them blind, but robbing them vividly hallucinating, as illusionist thieves are wont to do. He had Most Wanted status for a while, but is generally tolerated now since he causes the competition problems, too.

Tarquin and Girard were old adventuring buddies for a stint after Tarquin's first empire fell. When he signed on with Girard's company, he got a feel for how the desert works and realized it was better not to pin everything on one go. That led to his working as a warlord-for-hire.

Tarquin actually works for Girard, helping to perpetuate the churn of nations to ensure poorly established defenses for Girard's thieves. This explains how Tarquin's survived whenever one of his nations has fallen--he's had an escape plan.

Tarquin is Girard, managed through illusions and careful life preservation techniques.

Eve
2010-06-01, 01:44 PM
My guess is that they just happen to have similar hobbies and hangouts, and thus can be found occasionally sharing a brew together at a seedy bar.

Lupusater
2010-06-01, 01:48 PM
The most likely, at least in my opinion, is that Girard uses the unstable political situation as an additional defense, and Tarquin, giving an extra boost to would-be reigns, helps prevent an already unlikely stability.

Haven
2010-06-01, 02:38 PM
Tarquin is Girard, managed through illusions and careful life preservation techniques.

Now that would be a fun twist. Nonsensical, but fun.

Darth Hunterix
2010-06-01, 02:45 PM
My very wild guess:

Tarquin knows about Girard's Gate, but he doesn't know the location of it. He plans to help Elan finding it, then kill both The Order and Girard's followers and somehow use Gate's power to rebuild his empire.

Zevox
2010-06-01, 02:56 PM
I knew this was coming. Let the random guessing and epileptic-tree planting begin!

Since I should probably post more than that one line, here's an out-there one: there isn't any. Tarquin has simply heard of Girard from someone else at some point, and is using that keep Elan and Haley around for his own reasons.

Zevox

Nave Senrag
2010-06-01, 03:07 PM
My best guess is that they worked together. Quite likely a while ago since Tarquin describes Girard as having red hair, unless Girard maintains his appearance with illusions. It is also possible that Girard was an aquaintance of Malack.

pinwiz
2010-06-01, 03:11 PM
two theories:

girard and tarquin are allies, with tarquin conquering the country that holds the gate and protecting it for girard. they're building the palace on the gate.

girard is a leader of a rebellion against EoB, and therefore the enemy of tarquin. also fun for the star wars rebellion references that are possible.

CrimsonAngel
2010-06-01, 03:15 PM
They're lovers.

TheFallenOne
2010-06-01, 03:21 PM
They're lovers.

to elaborate, Girard is actually Elans mother, a little illusion here, a little alter self there.

... What? It worked with Loki and Sleipnir

Magnema
2010-06-01, 03:24 PM
Well, Girard's gate is the one closest to his homeland. Therefore, he probably lived on the western continent. Therefore, it makes sense that someone like Tarquin, who has been on the continent for years to have heard of him.

Alternatively, since Tarquin has been on the continent for years, it is quite possible that they met at some point in the past, and are merely acquaintances. (Of course, I don't expect that to happen due to a lack of dramatic tension, but it is a possibility.)

CrimsonAngel
2010-06-01, 03:25 PM
I was going to say Tarquin was using Elan's mom as a cover up. He loved Girard the whole time.

LGBT! :smallcool:

SPoD
2010-06-01, 06:04 PM
Well, Girard's gate is the one closest to his homeland. Therefore, he probably lived on the western continent. Therefore, it makes sense that someone like Tarquin, who has been on the continent for years to have heard of him.

It doesn't make sense, if Girard's entire mode of operation is deception, illusion, and lies, to the point of lying to his paladin ally. Girard is not a celebrity; people would have no reason to know about him at all unless they knew about the Gates (like Redcloak does).

k_bukie
2010-06-01, 06:12 PM
Another crazy theory:

Girard is either Malack or the Empress of Blood, although a person pretending to be a dumb, manipulated leader has already been done before...so more likely Malack.

B. Dandelion
2010-06-01, 06:28 PM
If Elan's tripped over the main plot by reuniting with his father, it does seem to follow that whatever connection exists between Tarquin and Draketooth, it isn't of the casual acquaintance / known by reputation sort.

Recalling that Girard already associates the Order with Soon's "fascist" paladins, and that Tarquin is exactly the sort of figure Girard imagines Soon to be -- a Lawful Evil tyrant, where Girard is Chaotic to his toenails and at least marginally heroic, I think that seeing one of them hailed as the long-lost son of the local despot's top general is not likely to make the task of recruiting him easier.

Deliverance
2010-06-01, 06:32 PM
How about this one:

There is no Tarquin. Elan is trapped in Girard's Magic Kingdom Adventure, an epic illusion spell designed to trap the target in a dream-like state, analyse it's memories, and create a mental illusion perfectly intended to draw the target into a story compatible with his own beliefs where he is the hero, visits an exotic kingdom, and has deep questions answered in ways that will please him and reinforce his view of the world, thus strengthening the hold the illusion has on him.

Intended primarily to amuse his friends, Girard has found on occasion found it useful for keeping people he are undecided on occupied while he reaches a decision.

Eventually the sheer level of Elan-absurdity will break the spell's epic capabilities. It can already be seen struggling to cope under the weights of dinosaur stables and clown jugglers juggling clowns in potential infinite regression but worse is, undoubtedly, to follow, at which point Elan will come to what passes for his senses in a nice padded cell.

Warren Dew
2010-06-01, 06:44 PM
If Girard is around, where's the gate? Maybe there's an outside chance it's inside the Empress?

Not likely, perhaps, but she does never move.

lothos
2010-06-01, 06:51 PM
How about this one:

There is no Tarquin. Elan is trapped in Girard's Magic Kingdom Adventure, an epic illusion spell designed to trap the target in a dream-like state, analyse it's memories, and create a mental illusion perfectly intended to draw the target into a story compatible with his own beliefs where he is the hero, visits an exotic kingdom, and has deep questions answered in ways that will please him and reinforce his view of the world, thus strengthening the hold the illusion has on him.

Intended primarily to amuse his friends, Girard has found on occasion found it useful for keeping people he are undecided on occupied while he reaches a decision.

Eventually the sheer level of Elan-absurdity will break the spell's epic capabilities. It can already be seen struggling to cope under the weights of dinosaur stables and clown jugglers juggling clowns in potential infinite regression but worse is, undoubtedly, to follow, at which point Elan will come to what passes for his senses in a nice padded cell.

This is roughly what I was thinking, but you have expressed it much more eloquently than I could.

I did wonder if all of this, including the bounty hunters is actually illusory and just part of some technique of Girad's to learn about the order. I can offer absolutely nothing to prove this of course, it's just speculation.

Nimrod's Son
2010-06-01, 06:53 PM
Look at the title of the thread, folks - the spoiler tags are not necessary!

CoffeeIncluded
2010-06-01, 06:53 PM
This is roughly what I was thinking, but you have expressed it much more eloquently than I could.

I did wonder if all of this, including the bounty hunters is actually illusory and just part of some technique of Girad's to learn about the order. I can offer absolutely nothing to prove this of course, it's just speculation.

I don't know, that would feel like a cop-out to me...

pinwiz
2010-06-01, 06:54 PM
Look at the title of the thread, folks - the spoiler tags are not necessary!

awwww..... but they're so much fun with the shiny new button!!!! :smallbiggrin:

Nimrod's Son
2010-06-01, 06:56 PM
I'm sure that was the perfect rebuttal, but unfortunately it's one I'll never read. :smalltongue:

ChowGuy
2010-06-01, 07:26 PM
Girard isn't just "chaotic" on the same way as Elan is, he's a paranoid anti-authoritarian to the point of psychosis. He doesn't even trust his own long-time adventuring buddy Soon (of whom we have seen no indication that his honor was ever any less scared then he claimed). I can well see him using every trick and illusion at his disposal to foster the overthrow of any and all regimes (but especially lawful ones) he possibly can. In other words, I expect he's not merely "taking advantage" of the instability on the Western Continent, he's a major factor in causing it. Now, he'll probably tell himself that he's doing it to "protect the gate" but in reality I suspect he's doing it just because it fits his ideology.

Now as to where the "connection" is, in order to keep stirring up trouble for the past 60+ years, he needs to keep recruiting adventurers like say the young Tarquin of a few years back with tales of how easy it was to conquer a kingdom for themselves (with his covert aid), without mentioning how easy it was lose it (with same). And of course since he still considers himself to be "good" he justifies this by saying that "they were evil, so deserved to be overthrown."

So now he and the T-man - who may be among the few who ever managed to survive his treachery, now know each other as rival "business associates" in the "overthrow your neighbors" game. Neither of whom can openly move against the other, but either of whom would be more then happy to let the Order do it for them.

Mr._Blinky
2010-06-01, 07:27 PM
And no one has suggested yet that Girard is Tarquin's father, and thus Elan's grandfather?

Nave Senrag
2010-06-01, 07:45 PM
Girard Draketooth is dead. Elan's father is just screwing them so he can get Elan to stay longer and/or tell him more about the gates. Alternatively Girard is dead, but Elan's father knows where it is and he wants Elan to stay longer etc

Bad Situation
2010-06-01, 08:00 PM
I believe that Tarquin is lying, he does in fact know Girard, or at least OF Girard. I'm of the mind that their relationship is far more strained however. Tarquin is probably lying to Elan to get him to stay, he is evil after all and while we don't know his agenda I would presume that getting Elan to stay would be a part of his plan. I do not suspect the sincerity of his request for Elan to stay however. Just a man who loves his son.

And oh look, it's Sildraug.

Cealocanth
2010-06-01, 08:24 PM
"Girard, I am your father." I almost half expect that as the outcome, only to be turned into a "just kidding."

He probably's good friends with him due to Girard and Tarquin both being natives to the western deserts. He just knows him because he knows him.

Maldraugedhen
2010-06-01, 09:22 PM
Hey, Masterly. Heh, what are the odds that the first post I make in ages on this board would get spotted by a fellow AE forumite? There's simply not that many of us. Despite my best efforts.

The epic illusion hypothesis is an intriguing one. If Rich keeps escalating the ridiculousness of the situation well beyond the norm, it'll be a good one to keep in mind--but do remember the Leprethog scheme. It set a rather high basepoint for crazy circumstances.

Zevox
2010-06-01, 09:33 PM
I believe that Tarquin is lying, he does in fact know Girard, or at least OF Girard. I'm of the mind that their relationship is far more strained however. Tarquin is probably lying to Elan to get him to stay, he is evil after all and while we don't know his agenda I would presume that getting Elan to stay would be a part of his plan. I do not suspect the sincerity of his request for Elan to stay however. Just a man who loves his son.

And oh look, it's Sildraug.
Er, Tarquin hasn't said a thing that would qualify as a lie. He just listed off a few of Girard's traits to confirm they were talking about the same person and told Haley he'd discuss him with her after the festival. Given the former are plainly not lies, and he seems to value his word, so he can likely be counted on to keep the latter, even if he knows virtually nothing about Girard to discuss...

Zevox

Bad Situation
2010-06-01, 10:02 PM
Er, Tarquin hasn't said a thing that would qualify as a lie. He just listed off a few of Girard's traits to confirm they were talking about the same person and told Haley he'd discuss him with her after the festival. Given the former are plainly not lies, and he seems to value his word, so he can likely be counted on to keep the latter, even if he knows virtually nothing about Girard to discuss...

Zevox
Yes, but in all likelihood he could just be listing off what he does know about him to bait Elan, and the facts he's pointed out seem fairly shallow. I don't see any reason to doubt that Tarquin knows Girard. However, I can't help but wonder why Tarquin wants to keep Elan off the search for three days. Aside from the 'festival' of course.

They don't have to be lies per se, but you're right, Tarquin never said anythign about having useful information.

sihnfahl
2010-06-01, 10:12 PM
However, I can't help but wonder why Tarquin wants to keep Elan off the search for three days.
When the three day festival was set, Tarquin probably didn't know what Elan, Haley and V are up to, or the time constraints they are under.

He STILL doesn't know the time constraints. He just knows they want to find Girard and that it's something they see as important.

However, Tarquin's LE nature says: well, despite however important they think it is, I want to spend time with Elan and checking out Haley. I've already said it'll be three days, and, by gum, it's going to be THREE DAYS. It's not unreasonable.

The-Mage-King
2010-06-01, 10:16 PM
And no one has suggested yet that Girard is Tarquin's father, and thus Elan's grandfather?

I think that this is pretty likely... Think about one of the themes in this strip: Paternal disappointment.

Look at Roy's family: his grandfather was disappointed that Eugene became a wizard- no, worse, an illusionist. And Eugene was disappointed that Roy became a fighter instead of a wizard.

Can you not see the mirror right there, if Girard is Tarquin's father?

Bad Situation
2010-06-01, 10:18 PM
When the three day festival was set, Tarquin probably didn't know what Elan, Haley and V are up to, or the time constraints they are under.

He STILL doesn't know the time constraints. He just knows they want to find Girard and that it's something they see as important.

However, Tarquin's LE nature says: well, despite however important they think it is, I want to spend time with Elan and checking out Haley. I've already said it'll be three days, and, by gum, it's going to be THREE DAYS. It's not unreasonable.
That's true enough, I suppose I'll have to wait patiently until someone explains the matter to Tarquin. Which probably won't happen due to the secret nature of the quest.

It is possible that Elan will let slip to his father though.

dota600
2010-06-01, 10:23 PM
If Tarquin is saying the truth about him knowing who is Draketooth, there is a high possibility that Nale also knows who Draketooth is which can lead to Nale having an advantage even before the Order and the Linear met.

That means Nale may have contact with Draketooth, or worse Nale knows other gatekeepers through Draketooth and as of we speak, is heading to the mentioned places right now.

Zevox
2010-06-01, 10:28 PM
Yes, but in all likelihood he could just be listing off what he does know about him to bait Elan, and the facts he's pointed out seem fairly shallow. I don't see any reason to doubt that Tarquin knows Girard. However, I can't help but wonder why Tarquin wants to keep Elan off the search for three days. Aside from the 'festival' of course.

They don't have to be lies per se, but you're right, Tarquin never said anythign about having useful information.
All correct - and actually akin to a suggestion that I made earlier in this thread (though I suggested he simply knew of Girard, not knew him personally) - but I was simply objecting to your repeatedly saying he was lying, since he hasn't said anything that would qualify as such, and this is a Lawful Evil character we're dealing with, who is likely to make that distinction.

Zevox

ChowGuy
2010-06-01, 11:13 PM
He probably's good friends with him due to Girard and Tarquin both being natives to the western deserts. He just knows him because he knows him.

Ah, but while we know Girard is, there's no indictaion that Tarquin is a native of the Western Continent. On the contrary, he tells Malack that Elan was raised by his mother on the Northern Continent (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0724.html), which we already know to be true. We also know from The Semi-Secret Origin (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html) that at the time he was already a "mean fighting guy" who left her to go off to battle.
Then a bit later he tells Elan "After I left my first wife - your mother - I came here to the Western Continent. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html)." Note came not returned, and "lured by tales of how easy it was to conquer a kingdom." Had he been from there to begin with, he'd have known about that already and more to the point, what those tales "neglectes to mention."

This of course also makes the idea that Tarquin is Girard's son pretty unlikely I should think but hey when has that ever prevented epilepsy in trees?

---

As for him "knowing about the gates," no matter what his relation with Girard, that's even less likely. The Scribble, of whom Girard was the most secretive, agreed never to disclose that knowledge to anyone. All records were destroyed (except the diary which should have been) and Girard wouldn't even tell Soon where his was. As for Nale, we know that he and the LG did not know about the Gate when they entered Durokon's dungeeon. They did know the dungeon was there, and may have discovered that through association with Girard(*), but were looking for something else entirely.

(*)Per my previous post, I can see an obviously unprincipled scoundrel like Girard recruiting Nale to work against his own father as the next in his line of Kingdom-Overthrowing proxy/patsies.

Onyavar
2010-06-02, 08:47 AM
Like it.

That would also explain why we never heard Elans last name. Some weeks ago, everyones money was on the "Elan Tyrinar" hypothesis. But what if it's "Elan Draketooth"? DUN DUN DUUUUN...

On second thought, Girard doesn't look like Tarquin, Nale and Elan. Hm...

FafnerMorell
2010-06-02, 09:04 AM
Actually, Girard Draketooth has hiding in plain sight for hundreds of strips...

spying on Azure's gate & Shojo, and then on the Order, disguised as

Mr. Scruffy!

jimbo123454321
2010-06-02, 09:25 AM
maybe they were in the desert and elan tripped over some illusion thingy made by the illusionist and the whole comic after the desert has been an illusion and haley has just realised that. :smallwink:

JeanThine
2010-06-02, 09:47 AM
It would seem to me that they mentioned a few things that would fit this together.

1) Malack and Tarquin are old adventuring buddies, meaning at some point they did little errands for bigger, badder people.

2) The Empire of Blood is using its full power to build a gigantic palace.

3) It is most obvious by now that the empress herself has little if anything to do with what is going on in this empire.

4) Nobody keeps outdated maps in the western continent. They only have the new ones.

My theory: Draketooth hired the party with Malack and Tarquin in it, trying to create an ongoing destabilisation to hide his organisation and his gate. The constant flow of new nations popping up and therefore cities being built and restored would throw off anyone with a knowledge of where the gate used to be off the scent. That's why there are no maps of old places, since they could be used to track down the gate.

After Tarquin left the party to pursue his own empire, Draketooth might have decided to use Malack to control the states and build up unwitting defenses for his gates. Malack agreed to let Tarquin in on the plan because they were old friends. The Empire of Blood was obviously going to be their long term nation since it has lasted so long, and Tarquin was willing to fight his own son over it. If it was unimportant, and would be overthrown soon, why not let him have it? They had the man power to take that kingdom for Nale, and it seems like the kind of life lesson Tarquin would enjoy teaching Nale.

The two of them have controlled the Empire of Blood for so long (since before the start of the current storyline, due to Nale's presence in Redmountain) because the palace they are building is on top of the gate itself. Once it is completed, my move would be to betray the empire of blood and allow the palace to be devasted by the ensuing battles. The result would be a perfect, seemingly abandoned dungeon.

Mastikator
2010-06-02, 11:02 AM
My guess is that Tarquin killed Draketooth or otherwise knows he is dead, and will show them his gravestone.

Creed
2010-06-02, 11:05 AM
Actually, Girard Draketooth has hiding in plain sight for hundreds of strips...

spying on Azure's gate & Shojo, and then on the Order, disguised as

Mr. Scruffy!

INCONCIEVABLE!

Magicyop
2010-06-02, 11:20 AM
INCONCIEVABLE!

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Seriously, though, as much as I like the "epic-illusion" hypothesis, it would feel like sort of a fake-out. "LOOK! It's Elan's father, finally! No, wait, nevermind that, he's illusory." However, Girard IS, from what we've seen of him, sneaky, and an epic level illusionist is sure to be powerful. I think that perhaps he IS hiding somewhere in the Empire of Blood... Maybe the gate is even in this very palace.

Zevox
2010-06-02, 11:49 AM
Maybe the gate is even in this very palace.
I sincerely doubt it. It would be pretty stupid for someone who wants to defend a gate by hiding it to place it in a location that is a constant target for conquest by would-be rulers. With the place changing hands often there'd be a ton of people looking around the place after it falls into their hands on a regular basis - not exactly circumstances conducive to hiding something.

Zevox

HandofShadows
2010-06-02, 11:58 AM
I sincerely doubt it. It would be pretty stupid for someone who wants to defend a gate by hiding it to place it in a location that is a constant target for conquest by would-be rulers. With the place changing hands often there'd be a ton of people looking around the place after it falls into their hands on a regular basis - not exactly circumstances conducive to hiding something.

Zevox

Have you read the story the "The Purloined Letter" by Poe? Sometimes the best place to hide something is where no one would think to look for it. Since it's guarded by Epic class illusions it seems unlikly that someone would accidentaly stumble over it.

As a note Elan's father does know where Girard is. He is in the cell next to Haley's Father. :smallbiggrin:

Zevox
2010-06-02, 12:00 PM
Have you read the story the "The Purloined Letter" by Poe? Sometimes the best place to hide something is where no one would think to look for it. Since it's guarded by Epic class illusions it seems unlikly that someone would accidentaly stumble over it.
But that's just the thing - people will be looking around such a place all the time, and while not specifically for the Gate, for anything which may happen to be there. Surely at least some of them will be using magic to check for illusions and the like. It's not like you can count on every conqueror who comes along to be incompetent about that sort of thing - some are bound to be wizards in their own right, even.

No, it's nothing but a risk with no benefit, and thus would be a very stupid thing to do.

Zevox

Bad Situation
2010-06-02, 06:32 PM
INCONCIEVABLE!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ChowGuy
2010-06-02, 11:27 PM
INCONCIEVABLE!You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Or how to spell it.

Bad Situation
2010-06-02, 11:54 PM
Or how to spell it.
So goes the ancient adage: "I" before "E" except after "C"

whitelaughter
2010-06-03, 01:54 AM
As for him "knowing about the gates," no matter what his relation with Girard, that's even less likely.
Actually, we already know exactly how much Tarquin knows about the gates!

Nale was told by Tarquin about the Talisman of Dorukan:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0046.html
But did not know about the actual Gates until impresonating Elan:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0378.html

Tarquin may have held information back from Nale, of course, but I'm betting Tarquin knows about the Order of the Scribble, but not about their final adventure. (Likely bitching about his fellows is Girard's favourite activity).

UnChosenOne
2010-06-03, 01:16 PM
My theory: Drakethooth (now disguised as a dot from page 723) is both Tarquin's father and mother at the same time.

derfenrirwolv
2010-06-03, 01:52 PM
Perhaps Girard is the reason why all these nations keep falling so fast. He doesn't trust ANY of them with power, so he keeps engineering their colapse. Tarquin is going to use elan and the threat of the gates as bait to lure him out.

Allan Surgite
2010-06-03, 02:47 PM
I think Sir Draketooth is Tarquin's upcoming tenth wife.

...what?

Serious note: what Zevox said on Page 1 is probably the most likely idea to me.

Zevox
2010-06-03, 03:02 PM
Serious note: what Zevox said on Page 1 is probably the most likely idea to me.
Really? Even I wouldn't consider it likely (which is why I called it an out-there idea). The Order needs to get a lead on Girard or his group somehow to advance the main plot, and if they don't get it from this side-plot, they'll be back to square one after whatever events occur with Tarquin and the Empire of Blood are done. And with Xykon and Redcloak prepared to move out as soon as Xykon returns from wherever he went and, theoretically, in possession of the true coordinates of the Gate, that would be a huge problem.

No, I think they'll be able to get something out of Tarquin about Girard, which means there's probably some connection between them. I was just tossing that idea out there for the hell of it so I had something on-topic to say that wasn't near-irrelevant, like the first line of that post was, or sidestepping around the actual question posed by the topic, as I am here.

Zevox

JerichoPenumbra
2010-06-03, 03:03 PM
As a note Elan's father does know where Girard is. He is in the cell next to Haley's Father. :smallbiggrin:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the possibility that Girard is actually Haley's father. Think about it, we (to my knowledge) haven't heard what her father's name is and from flashbacks of him, we know he is the one who instilled her with a lack of trusting any one which seems to be one of Girard's major personality traits.

If he isn't her father he at least be a relative because most of the order of the scribble is dead. I think the elf may have been alive because elves just live a super long time and most of everyone else in that party were humans.

Looking from another perspective out of the blue, barring any templates, there might be multiple Girards out and about from the extensive use of the Simulacrum spell.

Zevox
2010-06-03, 03:19 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the possibility that Girard is actually Haley's father. Think about it, we (to my knowledge) haven't heard what her father's name is and from flashbacks of him, we know he is the one who instilled her with a lack of trusting any one which seems to be one of Girard's major personality traits.

If he isn't her father he at least be a relative because most of the order of the scribble is dead. I think the elf may have been alive because elves just live a super long time and most of everyone else in that party were humans.

Looking from another perspective out of the blue, barring any templates, there might be multiple Girards out and about from the extensive use of the Simulacrum spell.
A few things:

People once suggested that Girard may be related to Haley because of their similar hair. The Giant popped in at one point to say that there were only so many styles and colors of hair you can do with stick figures. I don't recall if he explicitly stated Haley and Girard were not related in that post (perhaps one of the members more inclined to bookmark such posts than I could provide a link to it), but it was certainly implied if not stated. (I believe one of his exact lines was something to the effect of: "Sometimes characters with similar hair just have similar hair.")

Most of the Order of the Scribble is dead because they were killed. Kraagor was unmade by the Snarl. Dorukon was killed by Xykon when he conquered his Gate, six months before the Order showed up back at the beginning of the comic. And Lirian (SoD spoiler)
was killed by Xykon as well. And both her and Dorukon were soul-bound into a gem by him.
Soon's death isn't entirely clear - it is implied to be of natural causes, but even if he was as old as he is guessed to be during their adventures (in his 50s), the timeline doesn't work out to let him reach his maximum age and die that way by the point he supposedly did, and as a high-level Paladin he cannot fall ill, being immune to both natural and magical diseases. It is possible he had to sacrifice his life in order to become the first ghost-martyr of the Sapphire Guard and implement whatever magics kept that in place, which is about the best guess we have for his death. Either that or the Giant is just ignoring the death-by-old-age rules in his case.

As far as we know, it is entirely conceivable for both Girard and Serinni to still be alive. Their adventures were only 66 years ago - If Girard wasn't older than in his 30s he could still be alive even without magical aid, as Dorukon was, and as an epic-level Wizard he could always extend his lifespan magically. And Serini, likely wouldn't be anywhere near her maximum age by now, since Halflings can live around twice as long as Humans, and average at least 50% longer lives.

Zevox

The-Mage-King
2010-06-03, 03:33 PM
Think about it, we (to my knowledge) haven't heard what her father's name is and from flashbacks of him, we know he is the one who instilled her with a lack of trusting any one which seems to be one of Girard's major personality traits.

... *sigh* Her father's name is Ian Starshine, shown in the letter sent from Tyrinaria seen in strip 131 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html).

JerichoPenumbra
2010-06-03, 04:59 PM
My mistakes. Thank you.

Nimrod's Son
2010-06-03, 06:43 PM
People once suggested that Girard may be related to Haley because of their similar hair. The Giant popped in at one point to say that there were only so many styles and colors of hair you can do with stick figures. I don't recall if he explicitly stated Haley and Girard were not related in that post (perhaps one of the members more inclined to bookmark such posts than I could provide a link to it), but it was certainly implied if not stated. (I believe one of his exact lines was something to the effect of: "Sometimes characters with similar hair just have similar hair.")
Rich wasn't talking about Girard when he said that (it's the last post of this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127453) thread, about Haley's resemblance to a random desert NPC), but it still applies just the same. Appearance-wise, the only thing Haley and Girard have in common is red hair. If that means they're related, I guess we'd better throw the rookie cop from Cliffport in as a long-lost brother too.

Zevox
2010-06-03, 06:49 PM
Rich wasn't talking about Girard when he said that (it's the last post of this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127453) thread, about Haley's resemblance to a random desert NPC), but it still applies just the same. Appearance-wise, the only thing Haley and Girard have in common is red hair. If that means they're related, I guess we'd better throw the rookie cop from Cliffport in as a long-lost brother too.
Hm, I could have sworn that that was from a Haley-Girard speculation, but that does look like the post I remember. So I guess he didn't directly imply that Haley and Girard are not related. And the hair wasn't the logic Jericho was using, so it doesn't apply to his post.

I still sure as hell wouldn't buy any theory that they're related, but I guess the evidence against it isn't as solid as I thought, since I misremembered the topic of that post.

Zevox

Nimrod's Son
2010-06-03, 06:52 PM
To the best of my knowledge he's never commented on the speculation about Haley and Girard. But then, as a general rule he only tends to clarify things in the forum if it's a minor issue; his remarks about the big stuff are usually reserved for the books.