PDA

View Full Version : LA of a Worm that Walks <3.5>

Machiavellian
2010-06-01, 01:54 PM
What is it?

Greenish
2010-06-01, 01:59 PM
LA: -

You're not supposed to want to be an evil monster.

Machiavellian
2010-06-01, 02:00 PM
LA: -

You're not supposed to want to be an evil monster.

what about in an evil campaign?

SilveryCord
2010-06-01, 02:00 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/wormThatWalks.htm

Look at 'Worm That Walks Characters'. You must merely follow the instructions to perform the ritual.

Machiavellian
2010-06-01, 02:02 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/wormThatWalks.htm

Look at 'Worm That Walks Characters'. You must merely follow the instructions to perform the ritual.

in other words "LA 0?"

SilveryCord
2010-06-01, 02:04 PM
in other words "LA 0?"

Adding the Worm that Walks template either costs 2000 XP and 10,000 GP, or the cost of developing and casting the epic spell Gathering of Maggots. It just doesn't have a level adjustment.

Edit: It certainly isn't "LA +0", is what I'm trying to say. It just has an unavailable level adjustment, because you don't add it in the place of character levels.

Ponce
2010-06-01, 02:05 PM
in other words "LA 0?"

God, no. You'll have to come up with one yourself. It doesn't have a listed LA because it was considered too irregular/powerful for a PC.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-06-01, 02:08 PM
The actual Epic Level Handbook lists the LA for the Worm that Walks, but for some reason that information is not present in the SRD. Either errata removed it or it's a simple error.

By the way, the LA should be +0 to +3. My copy of the ELH is slightly damaged, so I can only make out the first of the two digits.

Machiavellian
2010-06-01, 02:09 PM
So for an Evil PC, WtW isn't a good option

arguskos
2010-06-01, 02:10 PM
The actual Epic Level Handbook lists the LA for the Worm that Walks, but for some reason that information is not present in the SRD. Either errata removed it or it's a simple error.

By the way, the LA should be +0 to +3. My copy of the ELH is slightly damaged, so I can only make out the first of the two digits.
Uh... no it doesn't. There is a Challenge Rating increase of +3, but no mention of Level Adjustment in the hardcopy of the ELH I'm looking at.

Ranos
2010-06-01, 02:10 PM
Yeah, it's effectively LA+0, but that doesn't mean the template's free. It works kind of like necropolitan, except much more expensive.

As said above, you either need to have epic spellcasting or spend 2000XP, 10000 GP, be able to cast 8th level spells (for PaO), have heighten spell, and even then have a pretty good chance to die, lose more money and/or XP on your resurrection, and have to do it all over again.

Optimystik
2010-06-01, 02:12 PM
"Challenge Rating: Same as the character +3."

Keep in mind that ELH is 3.0. I haven't read the errata.

arguskos
2010-06-01, 02:15 PM
Checked the Errata for Worm That Walks, it has no listed LA. This does not mean it is LA +0, it means it's LA -, and thus unsuitable for player use.

If you'd like to play one, it's called "Ask your DM". Personally, I think that +3 or so is warranted, but that's just a personal opinion, not fact.

SilveryCord
2010-06-01, 02:17 PM
So for an Evil PC, WtW isn't a good option

Worm that Walks just doesn't add very much stuff that a spellcaster would want to do that they can't already do with spells, and adding it to a nonspellcaster requires some help from an epic spellcaster willing to spend a lot of money.

As for other templates in general, LA is a pain. It gimps your saves, your HD, your BAB, and if you're spellcasting, your spellcasting, in general for very poor returns.

Hendel
2010-06-01, 02:18 PM
The example on the SRD gives a CR 26 to a Worm that Walks with 23 levels of wizard, but I am thinking a LA of +3 might be too low. Of course a lot of its features, like SR, is based on its CR and that should be class levels +3. So try that for starters.

What a gross character that will be!!

subject42
2010-06-01, 02:26 PM
In Elder Evils there's also a "Lesser Worm That Walks" that might be usable.

hamishspence
2010-06-01, 02:32 PM
It appears to have the same +3 CR adjustment- and the template itself looks like the Epic Handbook version. (Note that the book doesn't have a stand-alone template- only a character with the template applied- Edwin Tolstoff).

As a Wiz3/Cler3/True Necromancer 10, he may be too weak to have cast the ritual- he probably falls into the "spontaneously risen" category.

I think it's only "lesser" by comparison to "The Worm That Walks"- the Elder Evils version of Kyuss.

Machiavellian
2010-06-02, 12:01 PM
It appears to have the same +3 CR adjustment- and the template itself looks like the Epic Handbook version. (Note that the book doesn't have a stand-alone template- only a character with the template applied- Edwin Tolstoff).

As a Wiz3/Cler3/True Necromancer 10, he may be too weak to have cast the ritual- he probably falls into the "spontaneously risen" category.

I think it's only "lesser" by comparison to "The Worm That Walks"- the Elder Evils version of Kyuss.

right. I was gonna do a Wizard/Ur Priest/MT/TN who worships Kyuss