PDA

View Full Version : There's so many of them!(A PrC Contest)

Pyromancer999
2010-06-01, 04:37 PM
There's so many of them!

----------------------------

A PrC contest for those of us who want control of multiple characters only using one.

Just to introduce myself, I'm Pyromancer999. I'm technically new on these forums(I've looked at them a long time, but never actually created an account until recently), and this is my first post. I thought that maybe it'd be fun to start a prestige class contest similar to those already having run(or being run) on these forums. That's about all there is about me on this thread.

This contest will begin with the posting of this thread and runs through the 4th of July.

Afterwards, a thread will be created where you can vote for your favorite base/prestige class.

Rules

1) You will be creating an original base or prestige class. Your class will allow the character to somehow have control over some other being. This being, created, enslaved, or underwise under your control, must have these features:

-Feats
-Skill Points and skills
-Some sort of system that allows the player to customize the being's ability scores, even if it's giving a bunch of pre-set scores and only allowing them to add one point to any one of their choosing.

You cannot choose alternatives to the options above. Throughout the progression of the class, you must be able to modify the beings, at a minimum of 1 opportunity to modify per 5 class levels, and a maximum of 1 opportunity to modify per class level.

Those confused can reference the Id Forger here to get what I mean:

http://watermark.drivethrustuff.com/pdf_previews/57208-sample.pdf

Thus in other words, the class shouldn't use:

-Familiars
-Any other type of class companion
-Cohorts from the Leadership feat

Unless you make it so that such class features are enhanced to include the stuff listed above.

Animal Companions qualify, though.

2) Entries must include name, complete class, and fluff. There should be combat related and role playing related. Incomplete entries at the deadline will be disqualified.

3) Entries must be 3.5, using the standard format below.

4) Post all entries in this thread. Feel free to post comments on this thread, or on threads of your own.

5) Maximum of two entries per participant (not everyone gets it on the first try)

6) Entries must be your own work, and must not be copied for other places. Only new work may submitted; no previously posted work will be accepted. Such entries will be disqualified. Such entries will be disqualified.

7) No reserving posts. Feel free to tweak your class, but the initial post must include the basics.

And here's some guide stuff that I found on other prestige class threads. Links you to some good stuff:

(Fax Celestis' Prestige Class Creation Thread)
(Djinn_In_Tonic's What to make and How to make it special!)

And thus, let the games begin! (or class-making, whatever)

Knaight
2010-06-01, 05:02 PM
You might want to clarify "the standard format below". Furthermore, some specification would be nice. For instance, lets say I'm making some sort of spirit conjurer. Would it be OK to start with a pool of base spirits that cannot be modified, and gain the ability to modify them later for instance, or would modification have to be available at level 1?

Also, is having feats, skill points, and ability scores all optional modifications acceptable? For instance, assume one could choose to not give skill points, and use higher ability scores, or another feat, or some sort of supernatural ability instead, while the option still exists. Acceptable or no?

Pyromancer999
2010-06-01, 05:23 PM
Edited the standards, somewhat.

Your Spirit Conjurer class sounds fine. You do not have to modify the spirits at level 1, however, you should gain the ability to do so within the first 5 levels of the class.

The feats, skills and skill points, and at least semi-modifiable ability scores are all mandatory. However, feel free to add on any other additional abilities you want to for each being. Thus, adding a supernatural ability of some sort would be okay, as long as the being had access to feats, skills and skill points, and at least semi-modifiable ability scores.

Does that help?

Knaight
2010-06-01, 05:29 PM
Let me rephrase the second part. Are the feats, ability score modifications, and skills all mandatory as options within the class, or mandatory without being able to opt out if taking the class. Or, to put it another way, must the class be able to modify the beings in said way, or be forced to modify the beings in said way.

Pyromancer999
2010-06-01, 05:57 PM
Oh. You can choose on that part. However, those sections must at least be addressed in the class.

To clarify what I said earlier, the option to modify must still be presented within 5 levels.

Pyromancer999
2010-06-03, 11:00 AM
*bump* What does anyone else have to say on this?

Pyromancer999
2010-06-04, 01:55 PM
*bump* this shall be eternally bumped until someone posts material

Eikonos
2010-06-04, 03:37 PM
[sending arcane inspiration brainwaves to all homebrewers]

Yes...post here, this thread can almost be heard whispering: "possstssss...I crave posstssss..." :smallwink:

PersonMan
2010-06-04, 03:52 PM
You don't usually bump threads here. I don't know if it's explicitly stated in the rules, but you just...don't, most of the time.

Lord_Gareth
2010-06-05, 09:12 AM
You may wanna check out the monthly PrC contest (chat thread found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142083)) for proper thread format. Plus, you can borrow the chat thread ^_^

DaTedinator
2010-06-05, 11:03 AM
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Animal Companions already have all the traits you require.

Pyromancer999
2010-06-05, 12:30 PM
@PersonMan: My apologies. I've mostly posted on WoTC's forums, and that's how things usually work there. I'll keep the bumping thing in mind in the future.

@Lord_Gareth: Not entirely sure how I could use the chat thread of the monthly PrC contest for this. Also, the format for this PrC contest is intentionally a modified version of the usual PrC contest format.

@DaTedinator: It's close with the animal companion. It technically does gain feats and all that, but it lacks gaining skills or skill points

DaTedinator
2010-06-05, 12:44 PM
Maybe that's how it's written in the PHB? But the SRD always has the latest errata, and...

Bonus HD
Extra eight-sided (d8) Hit Dice, each of which gains a Constitution modifier, as normal. Remember that extra Hit Dice improve the animal companion’s base attack and base save bonuses. An animal companion’s base attack bonus is the same as that of a druid of a level equal to the animal’s HD. An animal companion has good Fortitude and Reflex saves (treat it as a character whose level equals the animal’s HD). An animal companion gains additional skill points and feats for bonus HD as normal for advancing a monster’s Hit Dice.

EDIT: Oh, the link: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm#theDruidsAnimalCompanion

Pyromancer999
2010-06-05, 01:04 PM
Dang. Looks like it qualifies then. Alright, I'll edit it.