PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Wizard Spell

Gnosko
2010-06-01, 04:48 PM
I am playing a wizard and looking for a 3rd lvl damage spell with a range of melee touch. Is there a touch spell already in one of the books that does 10D6?

olentu
2010-06-01, 04:50 PM
Vampiric touch off the top of my head.

PId6
2010-06-01, 04:56 PM
Besides Vampiric Touch, there's Combust in SpC which does 10d8 as a 2nd level spell.

Gnosko
2010-06-01, 04:57 PM
Vampiric touch off the top of my head.

vampiric touch does 5D6 max even though you get that much as temp HP. I'm just looking for 1D6/lvl touch range 3rd lvl (max 10D6).

edit* vamp does 1D6/2 LVL... still not what I'm looking for.

Starbuck_II
2010-06-01, 04:57 PM
I am playing a wizard and looking for a 3rd lvl damage spell with a range of melee touch. Is there a touch spell already in one of the books that does 10D6?

Combust is a 2nd lv touch spell that does 1d8/lv (10d8 max) and no save. Can make target catch fire.

PId6
2010-06-01, 05:06 PM
There's also Belker Claws (SpC, 2nd level) which deals a total of 10d12 but over multiple rounds.

olentu
2010-06-01, 05:09 PM
vampiric touch does 5D6 max even though you get that much as temp HP. I'm just looking for 1D6/lvl touch range 3rd lvl (max 10D6).

Well vampiric touch from my phb says the following.

Vampiric Touch
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous/1 hour;
see text
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes
You must succeed on a melee touch attack. Your touch deals 1d6 points of damage per two caster levels (maximum 10d6). You gain temporary hit points equal to the damage you deal. However, you can’t gain more than the subject’s current hit points +10, which is enough to kill the subject. The temporary hit points disappear 1 hour later.

EThough I do see by your additional restrictions that were not listed in the opening post vampiric touch is not what you were looking for.

Irreverent Fool
2010-06-01, 05:19 PM
It would be easier to help with some more information. For what purpose do you want this spell? At what level do you want it to do 10d6 damage?

Draz74
2010-06-01, 05:34 PM
10th, evidently.

Greenish
2010-06-01, 05:36 PM
10th, evidently.I'd guess 5th level, since Vampiric Touch won't do what he wants yet and he's choosing a 3rd level spell.

Maybe.

Gnosko
2010-06-01, 05:40 PM
It would be easier to help with some more information. For what purpose do you want this spell? At what level do you want it to do 10d6 damage?

1D6/lvl to a max of 10D6 at 10th level. I would prefer if it was shock damage but any type would do except sonic. I was thinking of homebrewing an "improved shocking grasp" with the only diffrence being max damage but I wanted to see if there was already something simular in print beforehand. It wouldn't seem overpowered at third level considering that's when you get fireball and lightning bolt especially since they are AoE instead of touch.

PId6
2010-06-01, 05:45 PM
1D6/lvl to a max of 10D6 at 10th level. I would prefer if it was shock damage but any type would do except sonic. I was thinking of homebrewing an "improved shocking grasp" with the only diffrence being max damage but I wanted to see if there was already something simular in print beforehand. It wouldn't seem overpowered at third level considering that's when you get fireball and lightning bolt especially since they are AoE instead of touch.
As already mentioned, just look at Combust (SpC). It deals 1d8 damage per level up to 10d8 at 10th level, plus an extra chance of setting them on fire, and is only a 2nd level spell. An electric version of that is perfectly fine, and you can just get rid of the chance to catch fire as a nerf since electricity is mildly better than fire anyway.

Irreverent Fool
2010-06-01, 06:02 PM
Fireball has the trouble of aim as well as the downside of allowing the opponent a saving throw, so I'm not sure it's a good baseline. That having been said, I don't think what you're suggesting is unbalancing.

Necrotic Bloat from Libris Mortis deals 1d6 per caster level to a subject already afflicted with a Necrotic Cyst. Not really adaptable to your purposes, but it's the first 1d6/level spell I've come across.

The Orb of X spells listed in the Spell Compendium (and Complete Arcane, iirc) are ranged touch spells that deal 1d6/level, but they are level 4.

Combust. :smalltongue: The damage allows no save. Bravo, PId6.

If you don't want to homebrew, Energy Substitution can be a handy feat to have. Though a failed save for an Electric-Substituted Combust spell would still light the target on fire.

Draz74
2010-06-01, 07:20 PM
I'd guess 5th level, since Vampiric Touch won't do what he wants yet and he's choosing a 3rd level spell.

Maybe.

No, at 10th level Vampiric Touch will only do 5d6 damage. And if he was worried about 5th level, he could just use Shocking Grasp.