PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 4.0] Roleplaying advice requested for sorceror

Doran
2010-06-01, 05:44 PM
Hey guys,

My party is currently going through Thunderspire Labyrinth (in the Well Of Demons). Combat seems to be going pretty well, but I wonder if you could give me any tips on roleplaying my character, as I feel I've got a bit too technical while playing round the table. My character sheet is here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=166886).

Also I've hit 6th level, and have a spare feat, do you guys have any suggestions? I was thinking maybe Ritual Spellcaster or Bardic Dilettante.

AstralFire
2010-06-01, 05:50 PM
Method acting.

I'll spend various points of the day, daydreaming about how I would handle certain events if I were that character. What would be most interesting, what would be least interesting. I often make sound effects.

Lord Raziere
2010-06-01, 06:01 PM
what kind of sorcerer is he? wild, dragon, storm or cosmic? whats his race? can't tell you how to roleplay him if you ain't specific.

Ravens_cry
2010-06-01, 06:09 PM
what kind of sorcerer is he? wild, dragon, storm or cosmic? whats his race? can't tell you how to roleplay him if you ain't specific.
I am in agreement with this. We are going to need more details if we are to be of any assistance.

Doran
2010-06-01, 06:13 PM
All my background stuff is through the link but I can repost it here:
He is a human wild sorceror.

Searos hails from a small town to the west of Nesholm, in the foothills of Moradin's Anvil. In his childhood, the woods surrounding the town were full of bandits, with the local watchmen and mayor corrupt and in league with them. Searos' father, Alek, grew steadily poorer as he watched the men take their cut from the goods coming into his shop. Overcoming his fear, Alek finally sent out a message to the capital asking them to intervene.

The mayor heard his plans, and quickly had Alek arrested on a trumped up charge, planning to exile and murder him. Just before his sentence was carried out, a detachment of soldiers arrived from a nearby town, arresting the mayor and driving out the bandits. Inspired by this, Searos joined the local military outpost, and was trained in the use of the quarterstaff. He quickly rose to the rank of sergeant, until, at the age of 21, during a struggle, he accidently unleashed a fireball, badly burning his opponent.

Officially discharged from the army, he eventually gained some control over his powers, and still wishing to serve, picked up commisions that required magical expertise. Visiting fellow sorcerors, he increased in his magical skill, although, wary of his unpredictable powers, still keeping up his combat training.

Six months ago, his friend Coelran, a former tracker, journeyed north to the Nentir Vale, investigating rumours of a certain keep. Worried by his long absence, Searos has journeyed to the town of Fallcrest, where, armed with references from his army friends, he hopes to question the guards about Coelran disappearance.

Informed that Coelran journeyed to Thunderspire, he has joined an adventurer party hired to end a slaver threat.

Lifeson
2010-06-01, 06:14 PM
The sheet says human, and the powers are chaos/wild based. C'mon guys. :smalltongue:

I noticed on the sheet that he's a combat pragmatist. In that case, would he not think that way normally? Or, while in combat, would he become a berserker, more in line with his magic?

How would he handle surges? Would he be afraid of the chaos, or just roll with it?

Doran
2010-06-01, 06:17 PM
Hmm might be best to rephrase my problem, I have some ideas as seen above, I'm just having trouble considering the best way of implementing them. My group isn't very roleplaying heavy.

Darakonis
2010-06-01, 06:21 PM
Here are two articles that may help.

Roleplaying: Individuality (http://dndd.yolasite.com/roleplayingindividuality.php). What makes your character different from the other PCs? Use these differences to help guide your roleplaying. How did those bandits in his childhood shape his perception of the world? What does he think of political leaders after living under the corrupt mayor? How does his military background make him think differently than other sorcerers?

Roleplaying: What Goes Unsaid (http://dndd.yolasite.com/roleplayingwhatgoesunsaid.php). Roleplaying isn't just dialogue--mannerisms can be the most powerful form of roleplay. Does he stand ramrod-straight due to his military background? Is he meticulous, always brushing dust off his clothes and straightening out wrinkles? Does he suspiciously eye potential crooks in the city?

Hope this helps.

Peace,
-Darakonis

DragonRook13
2010-06-01, 06:30 PM
The way you described his backstory, you could make it so that he's hesitant to use his powers, even though he had all the training. The whole first-time-using-magic incident could make him really reluctant to use magic.
Because you chose Wild Magic as your spell source, you could also give him a druid-like feel, where he's most calm around nature. Going back, you could also have it that every time he does use magic, he falls into a trance-like state, where instinct takes over and all that matters is killing the target.

But really, what matters most is the kind of campaign you're in. A while back, I played as a Bard, who had Split Personality Disorder, and schizophrenia, due to a childhood experience. I'd rather not explain it in full detail, but my point is, we had a rather easygoing campaign, and that kind of a character was perfectly acceptable.

Aron Times
2010-06-01, 06:34 PM
Ask your DM if you can have your character's Wild Magic warp chance around him, like Mat Cauthon from the Wheel of Time. Maybe he wins more often than not when gambling, attracting a lot of unwanted attention from people who think he cheats them.

In the Wheel of Time, ta'veren have an uncontrolled ability to warp chance around them. In Mat's case, it manifests as incredible luck. In Rand's case, weird things happen when he's in town. One time, a coin kept landing on its edge when he was in town. This has been used against him by his enemies, as bizarre occurrences are a telltale sign that he's nearby.

Doran
2010-06-01, 10:28 PM
Interesting, I'm not sure if my GM will aloow it but I'll ask thanks!

Guy
2010-06-01, 10:38 PM
Interesting, I'm not sure if my GM will aloow it but I'll ask thanks!

if he's not keen to just letting your fortunes soar, perhaps just have very unlikely things happen more often in general - good, bad or neutral. coins landing on their sides, etc.

Excession
2010-06-01, 11:31 PM
You could get a familiar with your spare feat. There are some nice combat bonuses, but it's also a feat with a bit more fluff and RP potential than others.

Doran
2010-06-10, 05:46 PM
Hmm I tried spicing up my attacks, what do you guys think?

Searos Roleplay Notes

Attacks
Searos has Wild magic so his attacks often take on different forms

Chaos Bolt
* Sparks shoots at <enemies> eyes from Searos' finger
* With a glare, Searos sends a spike of thought into <enemy> mind.
* Searos shouts causing <enemy> to glance at him, he quickly reaches through their mind.

Thundering Step
* Searos steps back deftly,his boots, as they touch, send out a shimmering ait wave wich converges on <enemy> bursting with a roar.
* Searos focuses on the ground, causing it to shake, as it does so he slips backward, and the ground cracks at *the enemies* feet with a thundering crash.
* Searos forces air between his hands creating a tight bubble that shoots forth and explodes in enem

Fire Spray(?)
* Searos speaks and his staff burns and grows becoming a flaming whip which coils around <enemies>.
* With a finger Searos sketches an elemental sign with waxes and curves enclosing <area> in a brief burning cage
* Searos *snaps* his fingers causing the ground to erupt in flame.
* Causing a long scythe blade to erupt from his staff, Searos reaps the area.

Bedeviling Burst
* Searos closes his eyes and probes <enemies> minds close by, and sharpens their hearing. He shouts and <the enemies> leap back their ears, and minds ringing.
* Bewitching his opponents minds, Searos startles them with a mental explosion at their feet.

Ice Dragons Teeth
* Searos speaks a word an the air grows chill, and specks of ice start to grow. He barks a comand and the deadly shards converge on a spot.
* Searos places his staff on the ground and concentrates. A trail of ice shoots from it along the ground exploding into spears of ice which impale his enemies.
(Special) * Icicles grow in a rough circle, Searos stamps the ground and it heaves forming a huge jaw that snaps closed implaing those within.