PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Breaking A Generic Spellcaster

Marriclay
2010-06-01, 06:11 PM
Alright, I want to make a character of the generic class (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm) spellcaster, and I want to know - How would the playground optimize this?

I'm level 1 and would prefer to play a human, but if you envision something else being more effective, go straight ahead

J.Gellert
2010-06-01, 06:15 PM
Go Necropolitan Tainted Scholar. Basically, anything that is true for wizards/sorcerers goes for the generic spellcaster too...

Though, he can take certain class features as feats, but I'm not sure how to optimize that. I thought of Magelord, but it specifically says "Evasion as a class feature", not a feat. And it's not really broken anyway.

mostlyharmful
2010-06-01, 06:29 PM
The same way you break any full caster. Wizard is a sucky class, really, go look at the class abilities, they get precisely two that matter, spellcasting and familiar and the pet's an ocassionally useful liability in most builds. Pick the right spells and you're godlike, pick turkeys and you're a paperweight for the team.

Go find a Sorc guide (I recoment Solo's), add to that any paticularly cool divine spells you find flavourful... it's the spell picks that matter not the features.

tyckspoon
2010-06-01, 06:45 PM
^what they said. Basically, you do it like you're playing a Sorcerer, only you also have the ability to cherrypick select awesome Divine spells (alternately, if you like armored casting, you're a Favored Soul who has Turn Undead and the entire Sorc/Wiz list as potential spells known. Go wild.)

Flickerdart
2010-06-01, 06:46 PM
I'm certain there are a number of Sorc/Wiz spells that would go great on a DMM Persist Cleric, so you can do that.

ninjaneer003
2010-06-01, 06:58 PM
It's a caster. It's about as optimized as you can get

PId6
2010-06-01, 07:07 PM
Always choose the divine option so you've access to DMM: Persist and casting in armor. Your first bonus feat should be Turn Undead. You do lose a few PrC options, but DMM is worth it. Then just cherry pick the best spells off of any list. (Unfortunately, you don't have access to some of the best sorc-only spells like Arcane Fusion and Wings of Cover. Oh well; DMM makes up for that too.)

Amphetryon
2010-06-01, 07:18 PM
Divine MM access + the ability to cherry-pick from more than a single spell list makes the Generic Spellcaster breakable. It's that easy.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-06-01, 07:51 PM
I thought DMM would be less breakable than Metamagic Effect + all those divine spells that add large amounts to spellcraft checks. But maybe we're considering different layers of cheese here.

PId6
2010-06-01, 07:56 PM
I thought DMM would be less breakable than Metamagic Effect + all those divine spells that add large amounts to spellcraft checks.
Which is still less broken than Necropolitan Spellcaster/Tainted Scholar. It's all a matter of degree.