PDA

View Full Version : Creating Some Races

Krüsher
2010-06-01, 06:49 PM
Hey guys I was just wondering if it would be okay for me as a character to come up with my own race. It would basically be a blue minus the psionic abilities and minus the level adjustment so that it would basically be a goblin with better wisdom and a couple other things (i know its stupid). so just leave your feedback, and go ahead and tell me about your made up race

GenPol
2010-06-01, 06:54 PM
You might want to head over to the Homebrew section of this Forum, it's entirely devoted to this sort of thing. Also, you may want to specify what game you're talking about. I'm assuming you're playing DnD 3.5, but there are a lot of people with some obscure games around here, so it's hard to be sure.

But anyway, to answer your questions, yes, it's probably perfectly fine to create your own race. Just make sure it's not too overpowered, and clear it with your DM first. If you post more details, we'd probably be able to help you design your race better.

Welcome by the way. :smallsmile:

tyckspoon
2010-06-01, 06:55 PM
You could just ask for a Blue with the LA removed. Being psionic doesn't justify an LA.

Also I'm not entirely certain what the point of your question is? Are you asking if such a homebrew would be balanced (it is)? Are you asking if you as a player should have the right to suggest such things to your DM (you do)?

The Glyphstone
2010-06-01, 06:56 PM
Genpol basically said it all - welcome, you probably want the Homebrew section for this, and it's okay when you have Dm's permission.

Incidentally, the Blue is very commonly agreed as being a fair LA +0 race, or at least ridiculously weak for LA +1.

Krüsher
2010-06-02, 12:14 AM
You could just ask for a Blue with the LA removed. Being psionic doesn't justify an LA.

Also I'm not entirely certain what the point of your question is? Are you asking if such a homebrew would be balanced (it is)? Are you asking if you as a player should have the right to suggest such things to your DM (you do)?

In truth it wasn't so much as asking if it would be okay, it was asking what you guys thought of it, it seemed kinda under-powered when I got rid of the psionics to compensate for the LA

mabriss lethe
2010-06-02, 12:18 AM
Just nixing a Blue's LA and keeping it as-is should be fine. There are several LA 0 races that come out ahead of the Blue. (Elan, I'm looking at you guys.)

Optimystik
2010-06-02, 02:25 AM
Just nixing a Blue's LA and keeping it as-is should be fine. There are several LA 0 races that come out ahead of the Blue. (Elan, I'm looking at you guys.)

Not to mention, y'know, humans. :smallwink:

TroubleBrewing
2010-06-02, 02:28 AM
Compare the Blue (+1 LA) with the Half-Minotaur (Also +1 LA).

No comparison. Blue works a lot better with no LA, allowing for an extra class level of whatever suits your fancy.

WildPyre
2010-06-02, 02:32 AM
Goblins always seem to get the shaft as far as racial bonuses go. :smallfurious:

sofawall
2010-06-02, 02:34 AM
Well, they make pretty good Piledrivers.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-06-02, 02:38 AM
Well, they make pretty good Piledrivers.

Or ammunition.

WildPyre
2010-06-02, 02:42 AM
So much hate for the goblins...

http://i43.tinypic.com/5yi6gk.jpg

I'm rather fond of them as a downtrodden race that's gotten the short end of the stick in the grand scheme of things and can be just as capable of being just as civilized as any of the "player races" if they were able to escape the oppression of bugbears and hobgoblins. Sorta like Rich's but short and not inherently evil.

hangedman1984
2010-06-02, 02:00 PM
just to parrot what some of the others have said, blues should have never NEVER had +1 LA

hamishspence
2010-06-02, 02:27 PM
So much hate for the goblins...

I'm rather fond of them as a downtrodden race that's gotten the short end of the stick in the grand scheme of things and can be just as capable of being just as civilized as any of the "player races" if they were able to escape the oppression of bugbears and hobgoblins. Sorta like Rich's but short and not inherently evil.

Eberron does this a bit- though sometimes it's escaping the oppression of the humans, rather than hobgoblins- since some goblins are an underclass in civilized society, descended from slaves that the humans brought over when they invaded.

Eberron also tends to scale back on the "inherently X alignment" for most races- creatures that used to be Always X alignment, are now more like Usually X alignment (such as chromatic dragons). And so on.

Greenish
2010-06-02, 02:55 PM
Compare the Blue (+1 LA) with the Half-Minotaur (Also +1 LA). Half-minotaur is a rather poor example, being ridiculously strong for it's LA.

Krüsher
2010-06-02, 04:47 PM
I even had a whole backstory for him of how he was exiled from the tribe because he had deep purple eyes and no psionic powers. Which they considered an omen. Instead he was found to have powers closer to a sorcerer and maybe I would give him some cool racials

Krüsher
2010-06-02, 04:55 PM
actually when i was first wanting to make one i was pretty sure my dm would be okay with me getting rid of the LA but i wanted to make the character at home instead of at a friends house and i do not own a psionics book :P

The Glyphstone
2010-06-02, 05:12 PM
SRD to the Rescue! (http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm)

All you ever needed to know about psionics (and most of the other rules) but were afraid to ask.

Krüsher
2010-06-02, 05:24 PM
thanky glyph