PDA

View Full Version : Who wins an Opposed Roll? (D&D 3.5)

nolispe
2010-06-01, 08:23 PM
Yeah, as the title. Do they re-roll, or what?

comicshorse
2010-06-01, 08:24 PM
In the case of a draw the defender wins ( house-rule applied to every sytem we ever played)

Darakonis
2010-06-01, 08:25 PM
...If your question is, who wins an opposed roll in the event of a tie, then you can give it to the person with the higher mod. In case of another tie, reroll.

Peace,
-Darakonis

Teron
2010-06-01, 08:26 PM
The person who rolls highest... ?

Assuming you mean a tie, the highest modifier wins. If those are also equal, re-roll.

Another_Poet
2010-06-01, 08:40 PM
If an attack roll ties the defender's AC, the attack hits.

By logical extention, if a grapple attempt ties the defender's opposed grapple roll, the grapple succeeds.

Ties go to the one who initiated the action.

lsfreak
2010-06-01, 08:47 PM
Opposed rolls come down to whoever has the highest modifier, whether initiative, grappling, CL checks, or whatever else. Reroll if it's a tie.

ericgrau
2010-06-01, 08:49 PM
Opposed Checks
An opposed check is a check whose success or failure is determined by comparing the check result to another character’s check result. In an opposed check, the higher result succeeds, while the lower result fails. In case of a tie, the higher skill modifier wins. If these scores are the same, roll again to break the tie.
I love www.d20srd.org. EDIT: Double 15 minute ninja, I really need to pay attention. Well, at least I have a reference.

WorstDMEver
2010-06-01, 08:49 PM
Because the players are the heroes, ties always go to the player in my campaigns.

I like "tie goes to the highest modifier" as well, with matched modifiers re-rolling, adding a d6 to each side to "crank it up," or awarding to initiator or defender (I like all equally). The main thing is to pick something and stick to it, and always apply rules with an even hand.

AstralFire
2010-06-01, 09:07 PM
Ties go to initiator appears to be for checks against a static DC, even if it's something that could be rolled (like AC.)