PDA

View Full Version : Community Character [I]

Lev
2010-06-01, 10:12 PM
Ok guys, I just made up a little system to generate quality and thoughtful random characters, who wants to help me test it?

I'm looking for 5 RPers who are adept 3.5 players, just post "I'm in!" or somesuch to sign up. Once the roster is full we'll begin!
We are full up! Try again next time!

Roster Order
Rauthiss {1} -Currently Generating Character-
Tavar {2}
Zore {3}
Lev {4}
Krazddndfreek {5}
IonDragon {6}

To start off we generate the roster order by:
Take how many people are on the roster, best for 4, 6, 8, 10 or 12 people and roll roster# die with roster# sides, so because it's a roster with 6 people we roll 6d6!

Roll(6d6)+0:
I'm 4, (doubles are skipped), Zore is 3, Krazddndfreek is 5, Rauthiss is 1, last 3 is skipped!

2 got doubles, we roll 2 more d6!

Roll(2d6)+0:
Tavar is 2, IonDragon remains and is 6!

Finally we roll the Finish ECL by rolling 1d6+roster total = 1d6+6

Roll(1d6)+6:
3,+6
Total:9
So, the finishing ECL = 9

Now you notice each person in the roster has a {#}, this means that this is the turn order, each person takes turns building the character both mechanically and contextually in a sort of word-game-esque version of a character builder!

Since Rauthiss is first on the list he wins the first go at the character, and since the ECL was rolled at 9 he can build a character up to ECL4 (ECL9 minus roster5), OR he can build a lower character than that and leave Tavar {2} to either build the character up to ECL 5 (ECL9 minus roster4) or Tavar can leave more of a gap for the rest of the roster accordingly.

Example: Rauthiss {1} Might build a Wiz1 Clr1 (ECL2) and then post it in this thread, Tavar {2} then would take that post and expand on the posted character recalling however many details he wants to explain how the character got from his Wiz1 Cr1 state to perhaps a Wiz3 Clr2 state, and then Zore {3} would take it from there and expand on it.

The end result is to build a character of ECL9 for this round, each person can contribute background, stories of what the character has done since they were last edited by the lower numbered rostered people, and what they gained during level up.

Make sure to post Finished when you complete your turn to let the next in the roster list know when to start, you can PM them too if you want!

This way we get a fully decked out community-built SUPER detailed and rich backgrounded character for everyone on the forum to use, it evolves organically and draws from multiple insights!

If you are not clear on how this works and you are on the roster feel free to PM me! If it's your turn and you wish to be moved backwards on the roster or if at any time you wish to leave the roster, feel free to contact me!

Let the experiment begin!

Zore
2010-06-01, 11:48 PM
"I'm in!"

This should be interesting.

Krazddndfreek
2010-06-01, 11:51 PM
I hope "adept 3.5 player" doesn't mean you actually have to have played in a real game. I kid, I kid

In other words, "I'm in!":smalltongue:

Rauthiss
2010-06-02, 12:18 AM
I'll try; I've got nothing better to do. :p

Krazddndfreek
2010-06-05, 11:40 PM
No one else wants to try this?

Tavar
2010-06-05, 11:45 PM
Why not, I'm in.

IonDragon
2010-06-05, 11:46 PM
I'm in

too. I'm not sure I understand what's going on, but what the heck.

Lev
2010-06-10, 05:45 PM
The roster is full, please no more applications until a slot is free or wait until the next game!
Feel free to comment and question about the character's details as they enrich the character's depth!

Rauthiss
2010-06-10, 05:47 PM
How should we post characters? Stat block, link to a sheet, ...?

Lev
2010-06-10, 05:54 PM
How should we post characters? Stat block, link to a sheet, ...?
Either way works, but it should be easy to modify, copy and paste, ect.

Even people not working on the characters should be able to copy them onto a blank sheet and bring them to their next campaign, the beautiful thing is that they can do this with any stage of the character, so they can either take the finished one or copy and paste one of the stages in-between!

Rauthiss
2010-06-10, 06:00 PM
I assume I'll be doing fluff and crunch to begin?

I'll start things off nice and simple... Sorceror 1. Rolling stats because it's fun:
5d6b3
5d6b3
5d6b3
5d6b3
5d6b3
5d6b3
5d6b3

Do rolls not work here or something? :|

16,16,16,14,13,12 NICE STATS. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8673555&postcount=1218)

IonDragon
2010-06-15, 12:47 PM
Wow, okay something happened to this. I had not expected that after a couple days of nothing... I'll get back to you in a bit I'm in the middle of something else right now... and *subscribe*

Krazddndfreek
2010-07-28, 04:07 AM
So I guess this is dead now? Well, in case it isn't, why don't you do something more MAD happy with those nice stats. Like umm... monk :smalltongue: