PDA

View Full Version : Pop quiz

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-01, 10:40 PM
You're the DM of a mid-level party.

Your PCs, during downtime in a large city, have been on a shopping spree, spending the loot from their recent adventure, mostly with the goal of improving their Armor Class. They've been buying Amulets of Natural Armor, Rings of Protection, masterwork and/or magical armor and shields, etc. As a result, the average AC of a party member improved by about +3 or even +4.

Their next step is to continue their journey to another large city, where they will hunt for clues about the BBEG. You don't want the road to be uneventful, and have a choice between one of the following encounters:

A. A Sorcerer or Cleric minion of the BBEG, sent to impede the PCs. (appropriate level to challenge the PCs)
B. A tribe of Wood Elves, angry the PCs tresspass on their ancestral home (encounter can be resolved diplomatically. If the PCs fail at this, they have to either waste time on a detour or fight their way through a large number of low-level warriors and casters, plus several mid-level casters)
C. An evil Illusionist, creating illusions of horrible monsters to collect tolls from travellers. (not a very hight level, not a mortal threat to the PCs, but very sneaky and annoying)
D. A hunting pack of Trolls (as many as is appropriate to challenge the PCs.)

So, which encounter would you choose, and why? Please put your answers in spoilers, as not to sway other posters, so they can give their own sincere opinion.

My choice is...
I'll tell you later. By the way, if you're reading this before posting your own answer, you didn't quite get the point of the exercise. If you did post your own answer, well done.

PId6
2010-06-01, 10:46 PM
D. It's good to send an encounter at the PCs which reward their decisions, and having a high AC is very helpful against a group of trolls. Since it's essentially just a filler combat, there's no reason why it can't be on the easy side, and it would make them feel as if their decisions made a difference.

Thajocoth
2010-06-01, 10:47 PM
A - They've got the BBEG on their mind. Showing that they're on the BBEG's mind as well will increase how much they want to do what they're doing.

Private-Prinny
2010-06-01, 10:49 PM
I would go with...option C, the illusionist. All of the other options have high potential to go awry. In option A, the party could simply capture the minion and use him as a fast-track into the BBEG's headquarters. In option B, the diplomatic solution would diffuse the entire threat instantly, meaning that it could end up being very boring. In option D, well, who hasn't seen that before?

And with option C, you have limitless ways to screw with the PCs, forcing them to wonder just how far the illusion goes, and, if you pull it off right, you may end up with a recurring villain.

Hendel
2010-06-01, 10:50 PM
All of the above. I know Vaarsuvius has proven that it is only mathmatically possible to have one random encounter(here) (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0145.html), however I like to throw the PC's for a loop. They begin to think that one of the encounters is actually part of the plot. Plus it makes the world a bit more dangerous.

waterpenguin43
2010-06-01, 10:55 PM
I would go with:
Both A and B. It's always good to have variety, and they probably wouldn't want to kill the wood elves, and that could be fun for the diplomatic PC's. A is for the ones who like the hack'n'slash.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-01, 11:44 PM
So, what I actually did in my game
(D), for basically the same reasons as PId6 said - make them feel good about their AC. Especially, trolls were selected due to their Rend ability, which makes Armor Class super-important.

Sure, Armor Class isn't everything. But, you know what, there will be time for illusions, and for Chain Lightnings, and for Cloudkills, and for Greater Commands and for Dominate Persons later along the campaign. For now, just a skirmish to make them feel good, then move them to the other large city, where they can encounter the BBEG minions, the illusionist, and a host of other cool stuff.

(if you want to post your own answer, do so before opening the spoilers)

Zore
2010-06-01, 11:46 PM
I choose,

Option B. The diplomacy could be fun and if they do go into combat they'll feel awesome with their significantly higher AC

Gralamin
2010-06-01, 11:51 PM
Simple
D to start with, then move onto a few more encounters that reward their choice, and add more depth to the BBEG plans.

Dr Bwaa
2010-06-02, 12:03 AM
For me, I'd go Trolls. If the party just spent time buffing their AC, I (as a kind, caring, compassionate DM*) don't want them to think I'm saying "Ha! You guys all got ROPs and ANAs! Bet those are really good for your WILL SAVES! AHHAHAHAHA!" (Let that wait until next encounter.) This encounter they can feel glad that their purchases paid off. Besides, I generally have an easier time putting combat on the road and diplomacy in cities, and since they're going to a city, well, the choice seems obvious.

*Ha ha.

Drakefall
2010-06-02, 01:35 AM
All of the above!

The eeeevil illusuionist from C) is the BBEG minion mentioned in A). He is in the area to both harass the pc's and wipe out this annoying elf tribe mentioned in B) because his ka-eeeevil master wants X macguffin from the elves' ancestral land. The PCs initially encounter the elves and, depending on how that goes, may or may not have allies and/or plot exposition. At some point the illusionist shows up to do his thing, but what's this? He has a horde of trolls (Option D)!) with him! He does not mention that they are mostly, but not all, illusions.

Profit?

Rensvind
2010-06-02, 04:17 PM
D, of course, can't get enough of Trolls :D

Eldariel
2010-06-02, 04:31 PM
Option D. With a Troll Cleric :smallamused:

Though why choose? Troll Cleric Illusionist (with Illusion- and Spell-domains, Illusion as spontaneous domain) servant of the BBEG hunting the PCs and collecting tolls from the travelers with illusionary wood elves, of course!

Gnosko
2010-06-02, 04:36 PM
Yes! I would choose all of the above. I might even have the BBEG's Cleric hire/bribe the Wood elves.

Pink
2010-06-02, 04:52 PM
B, with D if they choose to go around (there must be a reason to go through the elven lands afterall). If things feel too boring with diplomancy, you can always have a troll raid to add excitement. Now going to check other spoilered posts.

AstralFire
2010-06-02, 04:56 PM
C. Most opportunity to be interesting. Not everything has to be a fight.

Greenish
2010-06-02, 04:57 PM
C and D. A hunting pack of troll illusionists.

Ranger Mattos
2010-06-02, 04:57 PM
Option C. I just like to annoy my players :smalltongue:

Il_Vec
2010-06-02, 05:26 PM
Option A, a Sorcerer, who dominated/bribed option D as bodyguards, and forced Option C to set the Option B elves on the PCs trail using illusions.

4 CR- apropriate encounters in a good day of work.

Pluto
2010-06-02, 07:51 PM
C. And then D. See if you can get the party tripped up trying to discern whether it's an illusion-based trap or whether they're letting innocent travelers be eaten by ugly giants. Hilarity ensues.

drengnikrafe
2010-06-03, 12:05 AM
While A has valid continuity, it doesn't make sense unless there's a good trap. Evil tends to fight on it's own terms, and a random encounter should not equal a plot one, necessarily. Also, why unleash a non-AC-attacker when they just increased their AC? It's cheap.
B sounds interesting, but lots of low level encounters is just boring.
C is, again, taking away from what they just did (increase AC).
D, IMO, is most favorable.
So, in short, D.

archon_huskie
2010-06-03, 12:44 AM
I would merge option A and C. Have the Illusionist be a low level minion of the BBEG. The Illusionist is trying to get on the BBEG's good side by misleading the characters. Or if the Characters can give him a better offer, perhaps he'll betray the BBEG.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-03, 01:22 PM
Seems like we have enough distinct answers already. You're welcome to open the spoilers and discuss freely.

Swordgleam
2010-06-03, 01:28 PM
I'd choose C, the illusionist. It sounds like the most fun. While answer B lets the PCs feel rewarded for boosting their AC (since presumably most of the lower level characters will miss) it's kind of generic.

Ormagoden
2010-06-03, 01:47 PM
Read this one!
<Snarky comment about how tricking people in your main post makes them not want to post sincere answers goes here.>

jiriku
2010-06-03, 02:08 PM
Trolls. Trolls are fun, and burning trolls is even more fun. Obnoxious elves or frustrating illusionists, not so much.

Plus, trolls make lots of melee attacks, many of which will miss due to the team's new, higher armor classes. They'll feel rewarded for making the smart choice to invest in better gear, which will increase their satisfaction with your campaign.

The minion, I don't find plausible. One guy sets out alone to stop a group that considerably overmatches him, and manages to locate them even when they're on the move? Either he's competent enough to bring backup or he's not competent enough to locate a moving target. Plus, his reliance on spellcasting means that players will regret not getting cloaks of resistance instead of being pleased with themselves for improving their AC.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-04, 11:24 AM
Running tally:
A - 3
B - 3
C - 6.5
D - 10.5
(the half-points are from people who answered, for example, "both C and D")