PDA

View Full Version : NeverEnding Dungeon - Feranth Bladewarden (Rabbler)

NeverEnding DM
2010-06-01, 11:07 PM
The air surrounding you fairly hums with the residue of magic, an aftereffect of the spell that brought you to this place. A quick glance reveals that you are in a small room, devoid of any life save for yourself. The sound of dripping water can be heard faintly, and the stone walls are slick with moisture. In complete defiance of logic, a torch is already lit, resting in a sconce near the room's single door.

Map:{table]|A_|B_|C_
1|||
2||S|
3|||
4|||[/table]

There is a door at C-4, south side.

DM notes:Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=208296)

The Rabbler
2010-06-02, 09:10 AM
I will get myself ready and exit through the door.

unless indicated otherwise, I will be moving with one hand on my spiked chain and the other on my collapsible pole (extended to 12') and making constant search checks (not sure how to roll for that though).

qoalabear
2010-06-02, 03:43 PM
What are you searching? Floor? Walls? Ceiling? The door? The air? Are you touching things with the pole? If so, how much pressure do you want to put?

For search checks, the options that make the most sense to me are:
-You roll some number of checks (about 10) in a spoiler that you don't look at. I'll use them as necessary and tell you when I need more.
-I roll for you.
You're welcome to suggest something else, since I haven't done this before. I'm basing this off of what I've seen others do on floor 1.

Lastly, since I feel bad about not catching this on the sheet check: You have no way to light your hearthfire. It's not mentioned in the Indispensible Haversack entry, but hearthfire is lit by pouring a little water on it and extinguished by drying it off.
For one time only, do you want to purchase a waterskin?

The Rabbler
2010-06-02, 05:06 PM
I'll be poking every square on all surfaces lightly from ~10'ft away with my pole and I'll be making search checks on everything. excluding the air, if the air is trapped, I'm already dead.

as for search checks:
let me retry this...

and about the hearthfire: I think I will buy myself a waterskin. Unless you'd permit saliva to light the hearthfire :smallwink:.

EDIT: fail rolling :smallsigh:

The Rabbler
2010-06-02, 05:09 PM
[roll0] [roll0]
[roll1] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll2]
[roll3] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll4]
[roll5] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll6]
[roll7] [roll7]
[roll8] [roll8]
[roll9] [roll9]

qoalabear
2010-06-02, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure I'm comfortable letting you use saliva to light hearthfire. You've got a waterskin and 1 less gp.

You're not supposed to look at the search rolls, since I'm only using them when they're applicable. :smallamused:

Are you searching before or after poking? (You can search within 10') And just to confirm, the poking is less force than a halfling's weight?

---

Opening the door reveals an unlit corridor. The torch in this room sheds enough light to tell that it goes south and east, but not much else.

The Rabbler
2010-06-02, 05:58 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure I'm comfortable letting you use saliva to light hearthfire. You've got a waterskin and 1 less gp.
done.

You're not supposed to look at the search rolls, since I'm only using them when they're applicable. :smallamused:
I was just checking to make sure that they worked. I didn't actually look at the results, just that there were some dice rolled. I can reroll if you like.

Are you searching before or after poking? (You can search within 10') And just to confirm, the poking is less force than a halfling's weight?
I'll poke first (less than the weight of a halfling) and search later.

Opening the door reveals an unlit corridor. The torch in this room sheds enough light to tell that it goes south and east, but not much else.
I pour water onto the hearthstone and fasten it to my body somewhere (I can hold it in my weapon-hand if it's not possible to fasten it)(will this deplete my waterskin?). Then I'll wait to see what I see down the corridors. (also: how wide are the corridors?)

qoalabear
2010-06-02, 07:09 PM
You light the hearthfire and fasten it somehow to your clothing. It reveals 5' wide corridors with 10' ceilings.
The doors are heavy leaden sheets that slide easily into the walls. There's an indentation making it easy to grip for opening/closing. The doors are 10' high and take up the whole square.

To the south, the corridor runs 30' and ends in a T-intersection. It branches east at 20'.
To the east, the corridor runs out of sight past 40'. It branches north and south at 10'. There's a door on the north wall at 30'.

At intersections, do you poke/search down paths you're not taking?

The Rabbler
2010-06-02, 07:21 PM
I'll go down the east intersection and turn to go along the north pathway.

I'll be poking and searching everything within reach at all times. at intersections, I'll be poking stuff 10' along each path.

qoalabear
2010-06-02, 07:36 PM
When you poke the ceiling 5' south of the door you started from,
You hear a mechanical click. But nothing happens. Mysterious.

Hmm... it seems to be some kind of dart trap, but you didn't see any darts. Strange.

When you poke the ceiling over the 4-way intersection,
You hear a mechanical click. But nothing happens. Very mysterious.

It also seems to be some kind of dart trap, but again, no darts.

You go 10' east to the 4-way intersection. The corridor still runs east beyond your sight.
To the south, the corridor runs 20' and turns west to meet up with the previous south-bound corridor. There's a door on the east wall at 15'.
To the north, the corridor runs 20' and turns east.

When you poke the ground 5' to the south,
The floor drops away, revealing a 5' wide, 20' deep hole.

When you poke the ground 10' to the east,
The floor drops away, revealing another 5' wide, 20' deep hole.

The Rabbler
2010-06-02, 07:45 PM
I'm going to poke the trap above the 4-way intersection again, and if it triggers again, I'll try and disable it.

Disable Device: [roll0]

if not, from the 4-way intersection, I'll go north.

qoalabear
2010-06-02, 08:03 PM
Nothing happens.

You go 20' north. The corridor runs 10' east and turns north.

The Rabbler
2010-06-02, 08:05 PM
I keep poking and follow the corridor.

qoalabear
2010-06-02, 08:20 PM
10' east and 10' north brings you to a long east-west corridor.
To the west, it runs 30' and turns north. There's a branch north at 20'.
To the east, it runs beyond your sight. There's a branch north at 20'. There's a door on the south wall at 30'.

Poking the ground 10' to your east,
The floor drops away. Another 5' wide pit.

The Rabbler
2010-06-02, 08:30 PM
This is getting complicated... If I were to draw a map, where should I put the starting room? maybe in the center? maybe the lower left corner?

anyway, I'll take the west path and follow it to the edge. in general, I'll be following the left wall, if that makes things easier.

qoalabear
2010-06-03, 12:10 AM
Middle of the page is always a safe bet. :smalltongue:

You go 20' west to the branch. It runs 20' north and turns east.

Pushing the ground 10' up the path,
Triggers a trap!

Acid spurts forth at you.
[roll0] (vs FF Touch AC 10)
[roll1]

I'll assume you stop here before continuing.

DM Notes:
DMs eyes only.Oops. Just remembered he wasn't pressing hard. I won't reveal anymore pit traps from now on unless he searches them.

The Rabbler
2010-06-03, 12:59 AM
I'll continue past the branch and look down the hallway at the end of the corridor.

qoalabear
2010-06-03, 04:57 AM
It runs 30' and turns east.

The Rabbler
2010-06-03, 09:05 AM
I go north 30' and turn to face the east, poking and searching.

qoalabear
2010-06-03, 02:39 PM
As you're walking north,
The floor drops out from under you. Make a reflex save.

The Rabbler
2010-06-03, 07:09 PM
both my pokes and searches failed? lame.

Reflex: [roll0]

EDIT: watch, I'm going to use up all of my good rolls right before combat starts.

qoalabear
2010-06-03, 07:14 PM
Yup.

You, easily jump forward from the collapsing floor and continue on.

You go reach the end of the north corridor and look east. It runs 20' and turns south.

The Rabbler
2010-06-03, 07:20 PM
I'll walk 20' east and look down the next hallway.

qoalabear
2010-06-03, 07:25 PM
10' south and turns west. There's a door in the east wall at 10'.

The Rabbler
2010-06-03, 08:01 PM
I'll walk up to the door and make super special sure to check for traps.

Search: [roll0] (thank you factotum)

qoalabear
2010-06-03, 08:26 PM
You find nothing out of the ordinary. It's another leaden sliding door.

Which factotum ability did you use for a +3 bonus? Cunning Knowledge is +Factotum Level, not +Int mod.

The Rabbler
2010-06-03, 08:40 PM
wow. I could've sworn it was +int. I'm now re-reading every ability I have to make sure I understand them all.

as for my action, I'll open the door.

qoalabear
2010-06-03, 09:01 PM
It can also only be used on each skill once per day.

Opening the door reveals the following room:{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_
1||||||
2||||||
3||||1||
4||||||[/table]
There are doors at A3 and F4 south.
In the room is a gray wrinkled humanoid, crawling low with claws extending from it's hands.
Initiative: [roll0]

The Rabbler
2010-06-03, 09:04 PM
i DID know that part. I wouldn't have tried to use that multiple times.

initiative: [roll0]

I'll take a 5' step up to him and try to trip him.

qoalabear
2010-06-03, 09:07 PM
Just checking. There are a lot of things that are a lot more suspicious further in than just a door.

The Rabbler
2010-06-03, 09:13 PM
woa, I don't have improved trip. never mind. I'll just hit him with Saphire Nightmare Blade.

Attack: [roll0]

The Rabbler
2010-06-03, 09:17 PM
I need some practice with PBP combat....

Damage: 2d4 + 1d6 + 4

qoalabear
2010-06-03, 09:18 PM
You still need a concentration check for Sapphire Nightmare Blade to check if you get +1d6 damage. You hit him regardless.

Edit:
I have no idea how you're typing these in that you get what appears to be a valid roll tag without rolling. Normally people try to preview their post, which parses it to something like (roll0) (using brackets in place of paren. there), but I have no idea what you're doing. You also doubled up the rolls somehow in your search checks.

The Rabbler
2010-06-03, 09:19 PM
I'm sorry about this.

Damage: [roll0] + [roll1] + 4

looks like 12 damage.

and my attack was calculated as a concentration check. I forgot to label it as a concentration check :smallsigh:.

qoalabear
2010-06-03, 09:22 PM
Ah, so you still need an attack roll.

I'd recommend rolling all 4 rolls in the same post:

Concentration
Attack
Damge
+Damage if Conc. succeeeds

The Rabbler
2010-06-03, 09:23 PM
I have no idea how you're typing these in that you get what appears to be a valid roll tag without rolling. Normally people try to preview their post, which parses it to something like (roll0) (using brackets in place of paren. there), but I have no idea what you're doing. You also doubled up the rolls somehow in your search checks.

I keep trying to edit the posts when I use incorrect syntax :smallsigh:. as for the doubled rolls, I typed (roll)1d20+something(/roll)(roll0) (using parenthesis in place of brackets)

The Rabbler
2010-06-03, 09:25 PM
Alright, I'll get it right this time.

Concentration: [roll0]
Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
+Damage: [roll3]

qoalabear
2010-06-03, 11:59 PM
Yeah, you can't change the roll tags when you're editing a post. If they were wrong, you have to make a new post. (I'm guessing you've figured this out by now. :smalltongue:)

Sorry, my suggestion was for in the future. By Arena precedent, if you're doing the same action but have to post it again, you don't reroll things. So in this case, your concentration roll is a 22 (from post #31), your attack is a 12, and you deal 12 damage. Which benefits you this time, since otherwise, you'd miss.

---

You heavily wound the creature, but it's still standing. I assume you moved to B3 in order to attack it?

It 5' steps to B4 and retaliates with its claws.
[roll0], [roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]

The Rabbler
2010-06-04, 12:50 AM
actually, I have a spiked chain and I only had to move to A3 to hit it. and when it got closer, I get an AoO.

AoO Attack: [roll0]
AoO Damage: [roll1]

I'm dumb.

The Rabbler
2010-06-04, 12:54 AM
now that he's next to me, I'll hit him with Crusader's Strike.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Heal: [roll2]

qoalabear
2010-06-04, 01:00 AM
Ok, he's now unconscious and you may CDG him.

The Rabbler
2010-06-04, 01:01 AM
I do so. I'm also guessing that a guy in rags won't have much loot.

Then I'll exit the door at F4.

qoalabear
2010-06-04, 01:26 AM
His skin forms the rags. He's actually some kind of monster. No loot, but
*ding* 150XP

Outside the door, the corridor runs south and east.
To the south, the corridor runs 10' and ends in a T-intersection. It ends into the second long east-west hallways that continued out of your sight to the east.
To the east, the corridor runs 10' and turns north. There's a large red notecard hanging on the east wall in the corner.

The Rabbler
2010-06-04, 01:33 AM
I'll poke the notecard from 12' away and see what happens. if nothing, I'll go up to it and read it, making sure to continue my poking and searching of everywhere.

OOC: bed.

qoalabear
2010-06-04, 04:25 AM
Poke it.
It's a note. It's very inanimate.

Search it.
Nothing of interest.

Read it.
BOOM!

[roll0] (Force)

The Rabbler
2010-06-04, 08:54 AM
new self-rule: never touch anything.

that puts me at 7hp. I'll look north.

qoalabear
2010-06-04, 09:04 AM
Pssh. Touching it wasn't the problem. It was looking at it that did you in.

The corridor runs 30' north and ends in a T-intersection. At 20', it branches east.

The Rabbler
2010-06-04, 07:11 PM
I'll go up to the T and go west.

qoalabear
2010-06-04, 07:52 PM
The corridor goes 20' and turns north in both directions.

As you head west,
A patch on the ceiling goes click when you poke it. It's another dart trap that's not doing anything. Very odd.

Looking north, the corridor runs 40' and turns east. It branches east at 10' and again at 20'. There's a green notecard on the west wall at 20'.

The Rabbler
2010-06-04, 08:42 PM
I know that I'll regret this, but I'll go up and read the green card.

then I'll take the eastern corridor at the very end of my current corridor.

qoalabear
2010-06-04, 11:46 PM
The first east branch goes 10' and turns north. There's a door in the east wall of the corner.
The second east branch goes 10' and turns south back towards the other.

Poke the note.
It's a notecard. What did you expect?

Search it.
It's just a note. No need to be afraid.

Read it.
“You've Been Poisoned. Have Fun.”

Make a Fort save.

The Rabbler
2010-06-05, 11:26 AM
I'll never learn :smalltongue:.

Fort Save: [roll0]

I continue on to the end of the hall.

EDIT: mapmaking question. when you say that a path runs X amount of feet, is that including the space at the intersection? example: a corridor branches east. I go up to the branch and am now looking down the hall that turns east. let's say it goes 10'. does that mean it ends one square in front of me or is it two additional squares? I've been following it assuming the latter.

qoalabear
2010-06-05, 05:35 PM
Hmmm... Interesting.

You feel no different for now. Remind me when you get into combat.

Mapmaking: Distances are measured from the center of the square you're in to the center of the intersection square.

Map:
Note that I forgot to describe the east branch when you headed north from the first note. There's a door and a large red and white bulls-eye painted on the floor outside of the door.
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/4420/fbfloor1.png (http://img514.imageshack.us/i/fbfloor1.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

The Rabbler
2010-06-07, 12:25 AM
alright, in that case, I'll walk down my current corridor and look northward.

qoalabear
2010-06-07, 02:40 AM
Well, as you begin walking down the corridor, poking the walls
Triggers a trap. Roll a Fort save.

Edit: Also, after this I'm going to need some more search checks.

The Rabbler
2010-06-07, 04:41 PM
cmon... daddy needs a fort save.

Fort Save: [roll0]

[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]

*crosses fingers*

qoalabear
2010-06-07, 04:54 PM
You feel warm and begin to perspire as if the hot, scorching sun is beating down on you. Nonlethal Damage: [roll0]
In a moment the heat fades, avoiding any other lasting concerns. (Successful save)

Reaching the end of the hallway, the corridor goes north 20' and turns right. It branches east and west at 10'.

The Rabbler
2010-06-07, 06:24 PM
I take the eastern branch.

qoalabear
2010-06-07, 08:52 PM
You go 10' north.
To the west, the corridor runs 10' and turns north.
To the east, the corridor runs 20' and turns south.

You begin walking down the eastern branch, when
The floor drops out. Reflex save.

It seems the couple pit traps you saw at the beginning of the floor were mis-calibrated. They shouldn't have triggered from just lightly poking them. And the search DC on these is pretty high.

The Rabbler
2010-06-07, 09:24 PM
for bookkeeping, was this trap at the 4-way intersection or a few feet down the eastern corridor?

Reflex Save:[roll0]

dontdiedontdiedontdiedontdiedontdie

qoalabear
2010-06-07, 11:19 PM
It's in the square 5' east of the 4-way intersection.

You fall 20' and take [roll0] damage. Time to climb back up.

How much damage do you have right now? Remember that non-lethal damage is tracked separately from normal damage.

The Rabbler
2010-06-08, 09:59 AM
I am at 2 hp now. I don't think I'll be surviving long.

Climb: [roll0]

this could kill me...

qoalabear
2010-06-08, 07:09 PM
Actually, I think you forgot the force damage from the first note, which would make you dead now.

You're welcome to retry with the same character. I'd suggest actually entering the rooms from time to time. Crusader's Strike is your only healing, the traps can whittle you down without offering you a chance to heal. Also, you should search before poking things so that you have a chance to find the trap before setting it off.

The Rabbler
2010-06-09, 01:04 AM
huh, I thought I got the force damage down. I guess not.

I will go ahead and try again with this character.

and I'll follow your advice and search then poke. in fact, I think I'll search, poke lightly, then poke with pressure greater than the weight of a halfling. at least I'll get those pit traps out of the way.

do you want more search checks?

and I'll exit the first room.

qoalabear
2010-06-09, 02:58 AM
The air surrounding you fairly hums with the residue of magic, an aftereffect of the spell that brought you to this place. A quick glance reveals that you are in a small room, devoid of any life save for yourself. The sound of dripping water can be heard faintly, and the stone walls are slick with moisture. In complete defiance of logic, a torch is already lit, resting in a sconce near the room's single door.

Map:{table]|A_|B_|C_
1|||
2||S|
3|||
4|||[/table]

There is a door at C-4, south side.

DM notes:Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=208296)

Searching: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8648388&postcount=56

[First opening the door]
The door slides open easily revealing an unlit hallway. From the lit torch in the room you can see that the hall goes east and south, but it's too dark to make out much else.

The Rabbler
2010-06-09, 08:49 AM
I'll assume no more search checks then.

as I walk, I will be searching everything (walls, ceiling, floors) and then poking it first lightly then with pressure greater than the weight of a halfling.

I exit the door.

qoalabear
2010-06-09, 07:23 PM
It is dark. You really can't see much in this unlit hallway with your feeble human eye sight and you'll be effectively blind if you go any further.

This is where most people light their light source. :smalltongue:
Then just tell me which way you're going since you know what the hallways look like from before.

The Rabbler
2010-06-09, 11:17 PM
I'll light my hearthstone (using my waterskin), attach it to myself with a secret factotum trick, and I walk down the southern path, take a left, and enter the door. I'm still searching.

qoalabear
2010-06-11, 09:38 AM
Go 20' south.

25' down the corridor (5' past where you turn east),
Your poking triggers an acid trap!

[roll0] vs FF Touch AC
[roll1]

When you keep going
Go 10' east.
The corridor runs 40' north and turns east. It splits east and west at 20'. There's a door in the east wall at 5'.
Go 5' north and turn to face the door.

I'll let you react to the trap above before opening the door.

The Rabbler
2010-06-11, 10:44 AM
the trap misses me. I set down my pole and enter Punishing Stance.

then I open the door.

qoalabear
2010-06-12, 06:04 PM
No, you're flat-footed against a touch attack. I don't think you have any AC boosts that aren't removed by one of those, so are at AC10.

In other news, finals/end-of-term-moving are over, so I should be able to post regularly again. :smallbiggrin:

Opening the door reveals the following room:
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||||
4||||B|H[/table]
There is a door at A-2(You are here), another at E-4, south side and another at E-3. There is a human wearing a chain shirt and holding a longsword standing behind a beast with patchy dark fur that covers its unhealthy shrunken black skin in some places. Open sores dot its hide and a feral, catlike head glances with it's blank eyes at the wall in front of it.
Initiative:[roll0]

The Rabbler
2010-06-13, 02:40 AM
Initiative: [roll0]

qoalabear
2010-06-14, 05:32 AM
The beast vanishes. With a few muttered words, a cold beam erupts from the human's fingers.
[roll0] (vs FF Touch AC 10)
[roll1]

And he opens the door behind him, revealing a hallway running north and south.

The Rabbler
2010-06-16, 12:59 AM
the beam misses.

I move to D2 and attack the human.

Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

that would've been so nice...

qoalabear
2010-06-16, 04:08 AM
And so do you.

He 5' steps backwards and a flash of colors washes over you. Make a will save.

The Rabbler
2010-06-16, 10:01 PM
instead, I'll use Moment of Perfect Mind.

Concentration:[roll0]

qoalabear
2010-06-16, 11:35 PM
Unconscious, blind, and stunned for [roll0] rounds.
Then, blinded and stunned for [roll1] rounds.
Then stunned for 1 rounds.

qoalabear
2010-06-16, 11:37 PM
Coup de Grace damage while you're unconscious:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

And Mr. Color Spray claims another victim. Do you want to retry with the same character?

The Rabbler
2010-06-16, 11:53 PM
you know, I think I'll rework my character a bit.

also: I'm sorry that I'm so inconsistent with my posting. Summer just started for me and I'm not at a computer regularly. I will try and be more consistent in the future.