PDA

View Full Version : Which sounds cooler? (campaign title)

Another_Poet
2010-06-01, 11:32 PM
I am trying to come up with good names for a campaign I'm putting together. Please tell me which of these you like best!

Legion of Xanadu

Raiders of Xanadu

The Xanadu Venture

Prospecting Xanadu

Eh?

Campaign info:
A sandbox campaign run in real-life on a weekly basis. West Marches style with lots of areas to explore in the order of the players' choosing. A large high-fantasy city recently sieged and occupied with Stalingrad levels of destruction, now a free city again after peace is declared - but leftover monsters, warmachines and magic continue to despoil the city and its valuable mines. Local lord has issued a call for sellswords to reclaim the city, promising titles and mining claims as reward. The players organize and plan expeditions into the city proper, from a safe haven on the outskirts. High death rate expected, high power level & lots of loot available.

Xanadu is the name of the city :)

PersonMan
2010-06-01, 11:34 PM
Raiders of Xanadu sounds pretty cool.

What is Xanadu? It'll probably help with the names'...name-y-ness.

Temotei
2010-06-01, 11:35 PM
Legion of Xanadu
Raiders of Xanadu

These are my favorites.

Another_Poet
2010-06-01, 11:37 PM
Sorry, I edited campaign info into the first post now. Xanadu is the city.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-01, 11:37 PM
Xanadu? Your campaign name is a bad 1980 pop song? I vote back to the drawing board.

PersonMan
2010-06-01, 11:39 PM
With the info? Definately Raiders of Xanadu, with The Xanadu Venture the title of an arc and/or a/the business or the event.

Another_Poet
2010-06-01, 11:40 PM
Xanadu? Your campaign name is a bad 1980 pop song? I vote back to the drawing board.

I vote learn your pop culture. Or classic films. Or ancient China. Or genre-defining video games. Or just learn to use that one website (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wikipedia).

PersonMan
2010-06-01, 11:41 PM
I vote stop bolding parts of your sentences like that, or whatever you want to do with formatting like that. No.

Another_Poet
2010-06-01, 11:42 PM
I vote stop bolding parts of your sentences like that, or whatever you want to do with formatting like that. No.

Hey, a snark for a snark.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-01, 11:47 PM
I vote learn your pop culture. Or classic films. Or ancient China. Or genre-defining video games. Or just learn to use that one website (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wikipedia).You seem to be implying that because you ripped the name Xanadu from more than one source, it somehow makes it better. You are mistaken. It doesn't. Sorry for being harsh. Hate me now if you must, but if you change the name to something less corny, you will thank me later.

Gralamin
2010-06-01, 11:49 PM
Definitely like Raiders of Xanadu.

NekoJoker
2010-06-01, 11:52 PM
Raiders of Xanadu seems like a keeper...
maybe a bit too classic, but i believe is the besto of the group.

Another_Poet
2010-06-01, 11:52 PM
You seem to be implying that because you ripped the name Xanadu from more than one source, it somehow makes it better. You are mistaken. It doesn't. Sorry for being harsh. Hate me now if you must, but if you change the name to something less corny, you will thank me later.

I was mostly just irked because it seemed like you didn't know it had an origin other than an old pop song.

I don't feel it's corny. It's a cool-sounding word that is associated with rich and powerful places. I like it.

Dr Bwaa
2010-06-01, 11:56 PM
I'm going to put my name down in my very own camp (so far) and vote for Prospecting Xanadu. It just fits my personal vision of 'adventure' better. And for what it's worth, I like Xanadu for the name. From the game description, it fits the campaign perfectly.

PersonMan
2010-06-01, 11:59 PM
And for what it's worth, I like Xanadu for the name. From the game description, it fits the campaign perfectly.

Agreed.

Xanadu just seems to be a great name for a layered city to me. I might have to steal it...

Another_Poet
2010-06-02, 12:02 AM
Haha, it's hardly stealing, go right ahead! Xanadu is kind of like the village bicycle... although I haven't seen it used much in recent years which made it feel a little more fresh to me than other classic words/names.

I'm really surprised The Xanadu Venture hasn't gotten more (any) votes. That was my personal favourite going in.

PersonMan
2010-06-02, 12:09 AM
To me it seems like a good name for an arc, or an event. The Xanadu Raiders seems like a group name. As a name for a campaign, I'm thinking The Xanadu Venture is better, with The Xanadu Raiders as the title of the PCs' group, or something.

Drakevarg
2010-06-02, 12:19 AM
The Xanadu Venture sounds like the subtitle of a novel. If your campaign setting has a name call the whole thing [Setting Name]: The Xanadu Venture. I think it just has a nice aura of "THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT PAY ATTENTION."

PersonMan
2010-06-02, 12:49 AM
The Xanadu Venture sounds like the subtitle of a novel. If your campaign setting has a name call the whole thing [Setting Name]: The Xanadu Venture. I think it just has a nice aura of "THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT PAY ATTENTION."

The plusses. One is yours.

I agree

WildPyre
2010-06-02, 01:19 AM
Yeah I think I'd go with "Campaign world": The Xanadu Venture inserting of course, the name of your campaign world in there, or some other nonsensicle fantasy bit.

Such as the game I'm running, the most recent arc I named "Crystalhurst: The Maw of Ysycle"

Wonton
2010-06-02, 01:41 AM
Whoa... flashback (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubla_Khan) to Grade 12 English...

Why only those four? Let us consider...

Back to Xanadu

The Return of/to Xanadu

Xanadu 2: Electric Boogaloo :smallbiggrin:

Finding Xanadu

Xanadu Watch

To Xanadu and Back Again

Edit: Some serious ones...

Mercenaries of Xanadu (And if your players object to being called mercenaries - remind them they are)

Reclaiming Xanadu

Another_Poet
2010-06-02, 02:21 AM
Mercenaries isn't bad.

The problem with "Raiders" (even though it's the popular favourite) is that technically they shouldn't be raiders. Sure they can loot the fallen, but really they are there to save the place, not raid it.