PDA

View Full Version : A cure for "Mysterious Circumstances"

lothos
2010-06-01, 11:38 PM
I was just thinking about Penelope dying of "Mysterious Circumstances" in Strip 727 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0727.html).

It occurs to me that the obvious "Cure" is Resurrection, raise dead or a similar spell. Now obviously before I go any further I should point out that I do understand:

Elan's reaction ("When will they find a cure") is intended to be funny
There are a lot of hints (some would say firm evidence) already that Tarquin is evil... but let's not get in to an alignment debate here, there are other threads for that
The fact that he has had 9 wives hints at least that he might be the kind of person to remove his spouse when he gets bored of her

But it occurs to me that perhaps the inevitable confrontation between Elan and Tarquin might somehow involve Durkon offering to raise Penelope ? Or Elan asking Tarquin why Malack didn't do so.

Perhaps he will ask Tarquin about that, but Tarquin will distract him (dino rides or similar).

In this world, the cure for almost anything other than old age is ultimately resurrection or a related spell. OK, I know there is soul bind and such and that if the body was never recovered, a 17th level cleric would be needed. Just seems to me that there is a cure in most circumstances and maybe Elan will realise that once he overcomes his initial excitement about meeting his father.

factotum
2010-06-02, 01:42 AM
It's a cure that costs a minimum of 5000gp, and I think the clear implication is that Tarquin didn't want those wives back...he appears to be close friends with a high level cleric (Malack) so it seems unlikely he didn't have the capability!

The chances of Elan noticing that are pretty much zero, though. Not only is he normally dumb as a stump, he's just met his long-lost father and is going to be giddy about it for weeks!

silas the monk
2010-06-02, 02:12 AM
Any idea what the 10th wife is called? I mean it's been over a week since Penelope sadly passed away and the charming Tarquin must have been inundated with offers of marriage since then.

Darcy
2010-06-02, 08:27 AM
I hypothesize it is one Ms. R. Dragon.

Scarlet Knight
2010-06-02, 08:33 AM
Decima? Tenzin ? :smallsmile:

Dire Platypus
2010-06-02, 08:38 AM
Maybe Tarquin will try to steal Haley from Elan

what :smallconfused:

Scarlet Knight
2010-06-02, 08:56 AM

Was ever woman in this humour wooed?
Was ever woman in this humour won?
I'll have her; but I will not keep her long.
Richard III, Act 1 scene 2

ThePhantasm
2010-06-02, 02:41 PM

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if this happened. He is already trying to hit on her. Tarquin seems like one of those polite James Bond sorts of villains. It'd make for great drama if he tried to steal Haley away.

Luzahn
2010-06-02, 02:52 PM
I seem to have noticed a mysterious bit of foreshadowing. Haley seems to identify somewhat with Henry VIII, as seen in http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0200.html, panel 37. :smalleek:

Dr.Epic
2010-06-02, 03:03 PM
The fact that he has had 9 wives hints at least that he might be the kind of person to remove his spouse when he gets bored of her
[/list]

What about Elan's and Nale's mother?

DrGonzo
2010-06-02, 03:19 PM
Maybe back then he wasn't into the whole mysterious circumstances thing..

silas the monk
2010-06-02, 03:20 PM
I seem to have noticed a mysterious bit of foreshadowing. Haley seems to identify somewhat with Henry VIII, as seen in http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0200.html, panel 37. :smalleek:

Haley is singing a well known song (http://www.lyricsdownload.com/herman-s-hermits-henry-the-8th-i-am-lyrics.html). By that logic what foreshadowing was going on when the young black dragon sang "The wheels on the bus go round and round"?

Luzahn
2010-06-02, 03:28 PM
Haley is singing a well known song (http://www.lyricsdownload.com/herman-s-hermits-henry-the-8th-i-am-lyrics.html). By that logic what foreshadowing was going on when the young black dragon sang "The wheels on the bus go round and round"?

Sarcasm. Also, the event which will cause Belkar's death.

deathali'helper
2010-06-02, 03:34 PM
It's a cure that costs a minimum of 5000gp, and I think the clear implication is that Tarquin didn't want those wives back...he appears to be close friends with a high level cleric (Malack) so it seems unlikely he didn't have the capability!

The chances of Elan noticing that are pretty much zero, though. Not only is he normally dumb as a stump, he's just met his long-lost father and is going to be giddy about it for weeks!

In elans difence, his ignorace acts as bliss. what I dont get is why didnt V or Haley notice?
:smallconfused:

deathali'helper
2010-06-02, 03:37 PM

that would explain his coment in comic 726, about her ... you know

enigmatime
2010-06-02, 04:24 PM
that would explain his coment in comic 726, about her ... you know

Perky round eyes?

Kish
2010-06-02, 04:24 PM
That what Vaarsuvius was doing would come back to haunt him/her repeatedly.

(I don't actually believe this, but someone who posted on the forum a while ago appeared to. :smalltongue:)

Raging Gene Ray
2010-06-02, 04:38 PM
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if this happened. He is already trying to hit on her. Tarquin seems like one of those polite James Bond sorts of villains. It'd make for great drama if he tried to steal Haley away.

He may not want to marry her... distract Elan with a few clown-jugglers, put on a hat of disguise, and there's a one-night fling right there that nobody has to find out about.

Lecan
2010-06-02, 04:59 PM
In elans difence, his ignorace acts as bliss. what I dont get is why didnt V or Haley notice?
:smallconfused:

I'm sure Haley did notice. She doesn't care. Why would she? She isn't going to marry the dude and she already knows he's Evil aligned.

mucat
2010-06-02, 09:24 PM
Why didn't they notice what?

Herald Alberich
2010-06-02, 09:28 PM
That what Vaarsuvius was doing would come back to haunt him/her repeatedly.

(I don't actually believe this, but someone who posted on the forum a while ago appeared to. :smalltongue:)

You know, now that it's been pointed out, I wonder ...

Not that it's a big deal or anything, but it may well be the reason the Giant chose that song over any other old standard.

factotum
2010-06-03, 01:50 AM

I don't think it would. For it to make great drama we'd have to believe that he might *succeed* in taking Haley from Elan, and I for one don't believe that--she kept loving Elan for all the months they were apart, she's not going to cheat on him now. Especially not with someone old enough to be her own father!

Pyron
2010-06-03, 02:39 AM

Tarquin: "Hey. If you like my son, I'm twice the fun!"

Threeshades
2010-06-03, 02:40 AM
All we need is a new cleric spell: Remove Circumstance

Aasimar
2010-06-03, 06:38 AM

Heck, something like "Detect Circumstance" would probably work. (that or "Determine Circumstance")

Brendan
2010-06-03, 09:52 PM
well, if you remove the circumstance then all you have left is the "Mystery" part, so that means that you can determine the killer was the butler and take it from there.

silvadel
2010-06-04, 02:55 PM

Its obvious -- His love interest is V.

:smallcool:

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-04, 03:11 PM

just like Henry VIII!
-Xavez

The Glyphstone
2010-06-04, 04:31 PM
just like Henry VIII!
-Xavez

By Jove, you're on to something! Remember when they first fought Miko in the rain? She was Stunning Kicked, and began singing "Henry the 8th" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0200.html). It's got to be foreshadowing towards right now, for.....er....

derfenrirwolv
2010-06-04, 11:03 PM
The vows are till death do us part... can he just kill the wife, raise her, and be considered a free man?

krossbow
2010-06-04, 11:08 PM
now here's the real question; what number wife was elan's mom?

Herald Alberich
2010-06-04, 11:48 PM
now here's the real question; what number wife was elan's mom?

The first. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html)

krossbow
2010-06-05, 12:05 AM
The first. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html)

doy, how'd i miss that

Kieran Cage
2010-06-05, 11:26 AM
If they really want to find a cure for it, they need to do what they do for all other such causes: hold a telethon, make some heart-wrenching commercials, get the Hollywood causehead-of-the-week to appeal to people to donate more money, etc.

What color ribbon hasn't been used yet?

Wikimaster
2010-06-05, 05:44 PM

An evil version of it would be "Inflict Circumstance". Or possibly "Impose Mysterious Circumstance". Using it reduces your chance of being suspected in the target's death, even if it was used publicly with a lot of people who have no reason to trust you watching.

Scarlet Knight
2010-06-05, 09:55 PM
If they really want to find a cure for it, they need to do what they do for all other such causes: hold a telethon, make some heart-wrenching commercials, get the Hollywood causehead-of-the-week to appeal to people to donate more money, etc.

What color ribbon hasn't been used yet?

I think we have to go to the Crayola 64 box for one. Hmmm, anyone using "burnt umber"?

Kranden
2010-06-07, 01:19 PM
What about Elan's and Nale's mother?

I dunno maybe because she was the mother to his kids? Being evil means you don't have to kill every wife.

No wait Better yet maybe she issued a restraining order on him before he had the chance.

HE IS lawful after all

hamishspence
2010-06-07, 01:28 PM
I recall seeing a reference to that sort of thing in the Mr Welch list.

"Even if the villain is Lawful, giving him a Cease and Desist order isn't going to work."

KoboldRevenge
2010-06-09, 12:59 AM
Most likey it will be a mysterious cure:smallamused: