PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Epic Items too Expensive?

clarinetman
2010-06-02, 12:09 AM
I was looking at the Wondrous items, specifically the Bracers of Armor. Normal ones seem to use the formula ((Bonus)^2)*1,000 gold, up to +8. But then the Epic Players handbook it uses a multipler of 10,000 gold. Does this difference really mean that much? Wouldn't it be just as easy to add a different type of AC bonus onto a magic item?

PersonMan
2010-06-02, 12:13 AM
Yeah. I was making an Epic character for a one-shot a while ago and used the DMG prices for weapons and the like, later finding that the Epic prices were completely obscenely absurd. It seems like the reasoning was...well, I can't really think of any other than "it iz EPIC!!!1111O1NE111!!" for such increases. I'm AFB at the moment, but I'm fairly sure that Epic Wealth By Level doesn't give an equally absurd boost...

Zore
2010-06-02, 12:19 AM
Epic items are supposed to by super expensive so that non-epic characters are unable to afford them at all. Hence the order of magnitude difference in price.

clarinetman
2010-06-02, 12:26 AM
It doesn't, it gives you 4 million gold at level 30 and my DM is giving us 2 million. That may seem like a lot but with an 'Epic Headband of Intellect +8' and 'Bracers of Armor +11' costing 1,850,000 GP. That doesn't give you a lot of room to work with....

PersonMan
2010-06-02, 12:30 AM
I see. Well, the only time I made an Epic character it didn't work out all that well(first I thought I could stack Tomes, resulting in an obscenely high Charisma for my sorceress, then I couldn't find any way to get my attacks high enough for them to work with my Pixie Rogue) I just used non-Epic items. It worked out pretty well for me.

Temotei
2010-06-02, 12:32 AM
It doesn't, it gives you 4 million gold at level 30 and my DM is giving us 2 million. That may seem like a lot but with an 'Epic Headband of Intellect +8' and 'Bracers of Armor +11' costing 1,850,000 GP. That doesn't give you a lot of room to work with....

I recommend the belt of magnificence. It's 200,000 gp for +6 to all ability scores. Otherwise, just stick with +6 items until your gold is too much to carry.

Heliomance
2010-06-02, 12:33 AM
You can stack tomes, but only up to +5. Reading 5 +1 tomes in quick succession is identical in all ways other than the time taken to reading a +5 tome.

But as buying a casting of Wish under the prices for NPC spellcasters is slightly cheaper than the tomes, you really should do that.

Runestar
2010-06-02, 06:16 AM
It is interesting when you realise that bracers of armour+9 and +10 are not reflected anywhere. Bracers of epic armour start only at +11, while bracers of normal armour stop at +8. So are they epic or normal magic items? :smallconfused:

Eldariel
2010-06-02, 07:58 AM

If you're an epic caster, just generate epic spells that grant you the boosts you need.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-02, 02:11 PM
You can stack tomes, but only up to +5. Reading 5 +1 tomes in quick succession is identical in all ways other than the time taken to reading a +5 tome.

No, no you can't the bonuses overlap they do not stack. If you read 5(+1) strength tomes you have +1 to strength.
5 wish scrolls in quick succession would work but the tomes take weeks to study.

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-02, 03:17 PM
It is interesting when you realise that bracers of armour+9 and +10 are not reflected anywhere. Bracers of epic armour start only at +11, while bracers of normal armour stop at +8. So are they epic or normal magic items? :smallconfused:

:smallconfused: Really?

How bizarre?

BobVosh
2010-06-02, 03:50 PM

Regular bracers of armor can't pass +8. After that you get into epic, which means normal cost x 10.

I find one epic item is best, although skip it if possible. I loves me some stuff more than one epic item.

Siosilvar
2010-06-02, 03:52 PM
No, no you can't the bonuses overlap they do not stack. If you read 5(+1) strength tomes you have +1 to strength.
5 wish scrolls in quick succession would work but the tomes take weeks to study.

Given that the prices for the tomes are linear (27500 * bonus), I'm pretty sure you'll be allowed to stack them.

hamishspence
2010-06-02, 03:56 PM
Problem is, it would allow people to get the upgrade very early.

Say there was a dungeon, with multiple treasures of appropriate level, and all turned out to be +1 tomes.

If stacking them was allowed, the character could get a +5 bonus, long before +5 tomes could be expected to be found in treasure.

Hence, I think stacking them isn't normally allowed.

tyckspoon
2010-06-02, 04:00 PM
Regular bracers of armor can't pass +8. After that you get into epic, which means normal cost x 10.

Not true- you don't trip Epic until either:
The market cost is greater than 200,000
or
The armor bonus provided is greater than +10.

Bracers of armor can be made in +9 or +10 without any problems; they're just required to be custom items, since it is impossible to roll them on a treasure chart or for sale ready to go in your local Magic Item Emporium.

clarinetman
2010-06-02, 11:19 PM
If you're an epic caster, just generate epic spells that grant you the boosts you need.

Turns out that my DM isn't letting us use epic level spells. Guess I'll just find myself some twilight armor and rings of protection for my AC.

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-03, 05:25 AM
Turns out that my DM isn't letting us use epic level spells. Guess I'll just find myself some twilight armor and rings of protection for my AC.

Chain-bind Efreet? If Wish can give you +1 to a stat, it should be able to give some bonuses to everything else (start using obscure bonus types if needsbe).