PDA

View Full Version : Tainted Born (3.5)

Eloi
2010-06-02, 05:08 AM
Hi, I created a 3.5 template for a type of undead called "Tainted Born" and I was wondering if was an okay creation or no. I'm not very well versed in the fine eccentrics of the 3.5 system, so I'm not sure if its balanced/mechanically-correct. I was just fascinated by the concept of resurrection using tainted materials, and quasi-Liches as victims. They have similar abilities like Liches, only you are not the one who makes you a Tainted Born, nor do you have to have the alignment, feat, or any other requirements associated with Liches. i.e. you can have a low-level PC undead. However, to keep things balanced, Taint has ill-effects on your character called 'Flaws'. The more 'Flaws' you take the lower the level adjustment. You get ability penalties instead of gains, further differing them from Liches.
For role-playing purposes, Tainted Born often don't choose to be corpselike Undead creatures that have a built-in need for violence, many are kidnapped, killed, and resurrected by evil clerics associated with Necromancy deities. A Tainted Born PC's quest might be to become a normal PC again, a doubly hard (and expensive) process than normal resurrection.

Detailed fluff and mechanics located here: https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B6bkr0xwDk09N2U5Nzc2YjItMjBkNi00M2IwL WE1NDctZGYwNDk5MWRmODAw&hl=en

Thanks. :smallsmile:

Eloi
2010-06-02, 06:58 AM
Created Tainted Character Classes for gestalting if you take the detailed mental disorders and at least one ability flaw. Version 3 of the Tainted Born "source book" has went from 22 pages to 46 pages. That's more than double the size, and I hope its at least somewhat good. Will be updating as I work more on it.

Eloi
2010-06-02, 07:39 PM
New and improved Streamlined rules for better use in normal gameplay. I'm going to try to playtest the Streamlined rules via play-by-post here, if any DM accepts it.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-02, 08:15 PM
Very nice, nerds are awesome! :smallbiggrin:

PersonMan
2010-06-02, 09:42 PM
Page 1; Psionic is spelled psyonic.
Same page you spelled lycanthropy as 'lycanthropey'.
Page 2: Change all current and future hit dice to d12s
On natural armor you would say whichever is greater, not whichever is better.
On Fear Aura, you should state that the 60' radius is around the Tainted Born.
On Paralyzing Touch, you should specify the save DC. I'm assuming it's the same as with the touch attack? If so, just add in "The save DC for this effect is the same as that of the Tainted Born's touch attack."

Eloi
2010-06-02, 11:58 PM
Page 1; Psionic is spelled psyonic.
Same page you spelled lycanthropy as 'lycanthropey'.
Page 2: Change all current and future hit dice to d12s
On natural armor you would say whichever is greater, not whichever is better.
On Fear Aura, you should state that the 60' radius is around the Tainted Born.
On Paralyzing Touch, you should specify the save DC. I'm assuming it's the same as with the touch attack? If so, just add in "The save DC for this effect is the same as that of the Tainted Born's touch attack."

Thanks for your careful proofreading, lord knows I need it. Heh.
Version 4.5 with minor fixes is out.