PDA

View Full Version : (4e) Who has played The Slaying Stone? Need help.

Ozreth
2010-06-02, 06:17 AM
So I am reading through the slaying stone and am not too sure how to run either the Sneak into Gorizzbad skill challenge or the Stay Hidden Skill challenge.

For starters: What are skill alterations?
Secondly: It seems like I just let the players do what they would normally do but record their successes and failures until they fail or meet the requirements listed on the skill challenge? But I have to stick within the DC's listed for each skill....seems like a lot to keep track of.

In fact, this whole adventure has a ton of stuff to keep track of for a 1st level adventure. I'm not complaining though as it seems very promising and rewarding. I can't believe how open ended this module is for a 1st level adventure, the players have so many options with so many outcomes. Good stuff, it's just a lot to take in when learning 4e.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-02, 01:56 PM
I think this thread will be useful for me too, I'm going to run the Slaying Stone to try no get some of my non-gamer family members and friends into D&D.

Myshlaevsky
2010-06-02, 02:20 PM
So I am reading through the slaying stone and am not too sure how to run either the Sneak into Gorizzbad skill challenge or the Stay Hidden Skill challenge.

For starters: What are skill alterations?
Secondly: It seems like I just let the players do what they would normally do but record their successes and failures until they fail or meet the requirements listed on the skill challenge? But I have to stick within the DC's listed for each skill....seems like a lot to keep track of.

In fact, this whole adventure has a ton of stuff to keep track of for a 1st level adventure. I'm not complaining though as it seems very promising and rewarding. I can't believe how open ended this module is for a 1st level adventure, the players have so many options with so many outcomes. Good stuff, it's just a lot to take in when learning 4e.

Just leafing through this module, skill alterations appear to be changes to the skills as they are used in the skill challenge. So for instance, if the party decided to go by the front gate, it is harder for them to gain a success in the challenge using the stealth skill. If they choose the forest, they have to make extra skill checks to stop their successes turning into failures.

Speaking personally, I'm a little hesitant about skill challenges as whole, but YMMV.