PDA

View Full Version : Scribe Scroll Question (3.5)

Hague
2010-06-02, 11:57 AM
DMG 3.5 says that it takes 1 day per 1000 gp of a scroll. Does this mean I can write one scroll with multiple 1 level 1 CL spells on it or can I only write one spell on one scroll per day?

unre9istered
2010-06-02, 12:01 PM
I believe it's 1000gp for 8 hours work (the most you can do in a day according to RAW). If your making smaller items you total up to 1000gp for a day or spend a proportional amount of time for the cost of the items.

Example: 25gp scroll takes 8hr*25gp/1000gp=1/5 hr or 12 minutes.

Claudius Maximus
2010-06-02, 01:20 PM
The minimum time to craft a magic item is one day (8 hours really). You can only craft one item per day without some unusual ability or other.

Greenish
2010-06-02, 01:23 PM
DMG 3.5 says that it takes 1 day per 1000 gp of a scroll. Does this mean I can write one scroll with multiple 1 level 1 CL spells on it or can I only write one spell on one scroll per day?A single scroll can only contain one spell.

Yuki Akuma
2010-06-02, 01:25 PM
A single scroll can only contain one spell.

Then why do the random item tables insist I roll how many spells are on the randomly generated scrolls?

Defiant
2010-06-02, 01:25 PM
Does making scrolls cost XP?

Greenish
2010-06-02, 01:28 PM
Then why do the random item tables insist I roll how many spells are on the randomly generated scrolls?It's a conspiracy! (Or I wasn't thinking, but how could that happen?!)

Scipio
2010-06-02, 01:43 PM
For the record, here is the relevant text regarding the number of spells on a scroll.

SRD Magic Item entry on Scrolls

A scroll is a heavy sheet of fine vellum or high-quality paper. An area about 8 1/2 inches wide and 11 inches long is sufficient to hold one spell. The sheet is reinforced at the top and bottom with strips of leather slightly longer than the sheet is wide. A scroll holding more than one spell has the same width (about 8 1/2 inches) but is an extra foot or so long for each extra spell. Scrolls that hold three or more spells are usually fitted with reinforcing rods at each end rather than simple strips of leather. A scroll has AC 9, 1 hit point, hardness 0, and a break DC of 8.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-02, 01:47 PM
Does making scrolls cost XP?
Yes, relevant info

^

Scribe Scroll [Item Creation] (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#scribeScroll)
Prerequisite

Caster level 1st.
Benefit

You can create a scroll of any spell that you know. Scribing a scroll takes one day for each 1,000 gp in its base price. The base price of a scroll is its spell level × its caster level × 25 gp. To scribe a scroll, you must spend 1/25 of this base price in XP and use up raw materials costing one-half of this base price.

Any scroll that stores a spell with a costly material component or an XP cost also carries a commensurate cost. In addition to the costs derived from the base price, you must expend the material component or pay the XP when scribing the scroll.

Bolded relevant Part

Runestar
2010-06-02, 05:28 PM
I was wondering why you couldn't just scribe multiple spells onto a scroll, then tear it up accordingly to split amongst your party. :smalltongue:

tiercel
2010-06-02, 08:04 PM
Though by RAW you can only scribe one scroll (or brew one potion or make one minor misc item, etc.) per day, it's been my experience that it is a common houserule to allow a total of 1000gp of crafted goods value per day. (Or, at least, up to 1000gp of crafted goods all of the same type -- presumably there's some startup time involved in getting your potion lab set up or your arcane texts and inks laid out for scrolls.)

After all, for general player use, the game isn't really improved by forcing Joe Wizard to spend one day for every flippin' shield spell he wants to scribe (and he could indeed just argue he's scribing multiple spells onto a single scroll, and then you are to the point of arguing about cutting a long scroll into individual scrolls).

I suppose if you had some kind of heavily magic-item-creation-optimized character trying to abuse the system by popping out hundreds of extremely cheap scrolls/potions/whatever you might clamp down on this rule, but in general your game won't gain much by forcing the party to wait a few extra days in between adventures just for the sake of scrolls, given the gold/XP costs are already being paid.

Harperfan7
2010-06-02, 08:33 PM
I'm pretty sure scrolls can have more than one spell on them.

Hague
2010-06-02, 10:01 PM
Okay, so the way it would work would be that a player could scribe multiple spells on one scroll in a short amount of time, but the act of creating it requires that you have that spell prepared and the spell is used. So in essence, the character could scribe multiple low-level scrolls in one day (12 minutes for a 1st-1CL scroll) but they would effectively be limited by however many spells they can prepare in a day. You can't have a low level caster prepare a boat-load of spells in the same day that they need them but over time, they could. Okay, thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it :D

Sliver
2010-06-03, 01:48 AM
I dunno...

You can create a scroll of any spell that you know. Scribing a scroll takes one day for each 1,000 gp in its base price. The base price of a scroll is its spell level × its caster level × 25 gp. To scribe a scroll, you must spend 1/25 of this base price in XP and use up raw materials costing one-half of this base price.

Any scroll that stores a spell with a costly material component or an XP cost also carries a commensurate cost. In addition to the costs derived from the base price, you must expend the material component or pay the XP when scribing the scroll.

It only says you need to know the spell, and nothing about needing to expend a spell slot for that... Does it say anywhere that you need to cast the spell into the scroll? Looking at the Item Creation Feats (P88 PHB) I found nothing about needing to have a spell prepared, or a spell slot expanded...

QuantumSteve
2010-06-03, 01:59 AM
To create a scroll, a character needs a supply of choice writing materials, the cost of which is subsumed in the cost for scribing the scroll—12.5 gp × the level of the spell × the level of the caster.

All writing implements and materials used to scribe a scroll must be fresh and unused. A character must pay the full cost for scribing each spell scroll no matter how many times she previously has scribed the same spell.

The creator must have prepared the spell to be scribed (or must know the spell, in the case of a sorcerer or bard) and must provide any material component or focus the spell requires. If casting the spell would reduce the caster’s XP total, she pays the cost upon beginning the scroll in addition to the XP cost for making the scroll itself. Likewise, a material component is consumed when she begins writing, but a focus is not. (A focus used in scribing a scroll can be reused.) The act of writing triggers the prepared spell, making it unavailable for casting until the character has rested and regained spells. (That is, that spell slot is expended from her currently prepared spells, just as if it had been cast.)

Scribing a scroll requires one day per each 1,000 gp of the base price.

Emphasis Mine

It's pretty clear right there. Writing a scroll uses the spell slot.

blueblade
2010-06-03, 02:17 AM
Nothing to stop a dedicated scribe filling up their spell slots with first level spells.

5th level caster with 16 int: 13 castings of shield in a day?

It's not quite a "toilet roll of shield", but pretty close!

Nidogg
2010-06-03, 05:03 AM
Scince the maximum number of spell that can be scribed on a random scroll is 3 then surely a crafted scroll can oly have 3 spells or less on it?

Irreverent Fool
2010-06-03, 06:38 AM
Scince the maximum number of spell that can be scribed on a random scroll is 3 then surely a crafted scroll can oly have 3 spells or less on it?

By that logic, no piece of treasure that doesn't appear on the random treasure lists can be ever be created.

cutting a long scroll into individual scrolls
I'd say a character could scribe multiple spells onto a scroll, but the entire scroll would be treated as a single magical object, thus cutting it up wouldn't work. I figure that would be the trade-off.

blueblade
2010-06-03, 08:54 AM
Emphasis Mine

A scroll is a heavy sheet of fine vellum or high-quality paper. An area about 8 1/2 inches wide and 11 inches long is sufficient to hold one spell. The sheet is reinforced at the top and bottom with strips of leather slightly longer than the sheet is wide. A scroll holding more than one spell has the same width (about 8 1/2 inches) but is an extra foot or so long for each extra spell. Scrolls that hold three or more spells are usually fitted with reinforcing rods at each end rather than simple strips of leather. A scroll has AC 9, 1 hit point, hardness 0, and a break DC of 8.

I want toilet roll dammit! Quick, somebody stat me a 20th level caster who can scribe 100 ply (not really, but go with the joke) toilet roll of shield!

Irreverent Fool
2010-06-03, 08:58 AM
Emphasis Mine

I want toilet roll dammit! Quick, somebody stat me a 20th level caster who can scribe 100 ply (not really, but go with the joke) toilet roll of shield!

Wizards don't need TP, they have prestidigitation.

mucat
2010-06-03, 09:21 AM
Wizards don't need TP, they have prestidigitation.
Ew. Also, ew.

Nidogg
2010-06-03, 10:19 AM
By that logic, no piece of treasure that doesn't appear on the random treasure lists can be ever be created.

Not really what I was saying.... What i was saying is "the DMG/ magic item compendium/ other soucebook sets guidelines for equiptment You can go up ot those lines (e.g puttung 3 spells on the scroll) but no beyond them (e.g giving a sword the ability to destroy everything in a single hit for a +1 bonus)"

Sliver
2010-06-03, 11:00 AM
Look at a quote made a few posts above.

More than 3 is possible, just not randomly generated.