PDA

View Full Version : Call of Cthulhu dude!- huh whats tha -THose were jhonnys last words

Koboldshroud
2010-06-02, 12:34 PM
Oookay so im hearing alot about a game called Call of Cthulu, so i made this thread for you guys to talk about it and for me (and other NooBies) to find out about, also i and im sure others would appreciate a link to there site, and yes i am going to google it in a few minutes, but if a get a link then my azy factor can kick in, because i have 1d20+86 in lazy..

Mongoose87
2010-06-02, 12:37 PM
First rule of Call of Cthulhu, don't talk about Cthulhu.

Second rule of Call of Cthulhu, don't read about Cthulhu.

Third rule of Call of Cthulhu - you don't survive long enough to learn the third rule.

Axolotl
2010-06-02, 12:38 PM
It's a roleplaying game by Chaosium set in the modern (or 1930's) world based on the works of HP Lovecraft.

It mainly concerns unwinnable battles with magical super-horrors.

Marriclay
2010-06-02, 12:39 PM
First rule of Call of Cthulhu, don't talk about Cthulhu.

Second rule of Call of Cthulhu, don't read about Cthulhu.

Third rule of Call of Cthulhu - you don't survive long enough to learn the third rule.

It's a roleplaying game by Chaosium set in the modern (or 1930's) world based on the works of HP Lovecraft.

It mainly concerns unwinnable battles with magical super-horrors.

Tautology is fun!

Mongoose87
2010-06-02, 12:41 PM
Tautology is fun!

This post referencing tautology referenced tautology!

Lapak
2010-06-02, 12:46 PM

It mainly concerns unwinnable battles with magical super-horrors.'Unwinnable' is the wrong phrase. The players can achieve their goals; it's just that in a properly-run campaign it tends to come at a horrible cost. I'd rephrase that as

"It mainly concerns staving off the inevitable end of the world we know for a little while longer, at the cost of your lives and/or sanity."

(Admittedly, if you end up in a knock-down fight with the source of your current problem you've pretty much already lost.)

Koboldshroud
2010-06-02, 01:01 PM
okay, well does it have its own rule system or does it use 3.5 dnd or 4e, or what? and if it has its own rules... is it free?

jamroar
2010-06-02, 01:15 PM
okay, well does it have its own rule system or does it use 3.5 dnd or 4e, or what? and if it has its own rules... is it free?

It uses its own system included in the core rulebook (http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=359) (specifically, a version of Chaosium's Basic Roleplaying), which is entirely percentile skill based instead of character class+perks based like D&D.

There was also a one shot standalone version based on D20 from WOTC.

Scipio
2010-06-02, 01:54 PM
It uses its own system included in the core rulebook (http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=359) (specifically, a version of Chaosium's Basic Roleplaying), which is entirely percentile skill based instead of character class+perks based like D&D.

There was also a one shot standalone version based on D20 from WOTC.

I would recommend the BRP version from Chaosium. The D20 system, in my opinion, is not particularly geared towards a Cthulhu-style game. You do not really need character advancement or a detailed combat system to make CoC work. The BRP system is simple and a more freeform style.

If you want a fun game to play, I would recommend Arkham Horror (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15987/arkham-horror). It has a bit of a learning curve, but the atmosphere is great. A random ancient one is trying to come into the world, and you and your team of investigators have to stop it.

Satyr
2010-06-02, 03:11 PM
If you want to start completely new with Cthulhu-type gaming, go for Trail of Cthulhu instead of Call. It's a much more modern and in many aspects better game desgin, and it comes closer to the original moods of the Yog Sothoteries than Call, were the Mythos is often somewhat flanderized (or, to be more exact, Derlethized).
Especially in the one central point of any Cthulhu game - Madness - COC basically offers a hitpoint system. Because that's the way the human mind works. Trail is both more subtle about this, and much more plausible in the way how people could become insane, how to deal with it and some truly fiendish ways to introduce the results of the slowly loss of mental stability in the game.

mabriss lethe
2010-06-02, 03:21 PM
Remember: You don't have to outrun the Horror. You just have to outrun the people around you.

Bharg
2010-06-02, 03:27 PM
Remember: You don't have to outrun the Horror. You just have to outrun the people around you.

Horror? There is nothing be afraid of... Trust us. Err, I mean, trust me.

Lycan 01
2010-06-02, 05:23 PM
"HIS FACE IS IN MY MUTTONCHOPS!?!"

"Congratulations, you now have schizophrenia."

Actual exchange from one of the best CoC games I ever Kept.

If you want to try it out, here are the FREE Starter Rules AND a free scenario! (http://catalog.chaosium.com/pages.php?pID=37&CDpath=29) :smallbiggrin: