PDA

View Full Version : AvB - Uvag

Rizban
2010-06-02, 12:48 PM
planswalker only. Bla bla bla, don't read, etc., etc.

Uvag suddenly realizes that he's standing before a strong guard post. A guard walks up to the door, gives Uvag a funny look, then opens the door and walks in, closing the door behind him.

planswalker
2010-06-02, 12:52 PM
He enters the guard post, casting all but the last word to make him invisble if things should prove dangerous.

Rizban
2010-06-02, 01:01 PM
You see a number of guards cleaning weapons, playing cards, and otherwise passing the time. One of them notices you and calls out, "You need something?"

planswalker
2010-06-02, 01:03 PM
I am looking for Marcell. I have learned that I may be of use to him.

Rizban
2010-06-02, 02:33 PM
The guard uses the sword he's polishing to motion towards a large oak door to the side of the room. A small brass plate in the center of the door reads "Office."

planswalker
2010-06-02, 02:35 PM
Uvag enters, casting the invisibility on himself once again. He looks around to see what is there.

Rizban
2010-06-02, 02:44 PM
Uvag spots Captain Marcell writing something at a simple wooden desk. The office is spartan and empty except for three harsh wooden chairs, in one of which Marcell sits, a rack for hanging coats, and several bookshelves along the back wall containing ledgers and notes probably detailing the activities of the City Guard.

He looks up at you and says, "May I help you with something?"

It is then that you notice that the glasses he wears emanate a faint glow, and he can see you.

planswalker
2010-06-02, 02:51 PM
"Ah, i see you are one of vision. You can't be too careful nowadays. I see my cheap attempt to show off won't work. you are not some country yokel. I am Uvag the Unseen. Few have ever seen me. Invisibility is not my only talent. I am, clearly a Dragonborn. I also happen to be a warlock of no small skill. I seek to help the city. I know that there are many who would use this opportunity to tear the city apart. Not all who do so violate the law or can be caught doing so. I offer my services to help eliminate the factions which would seek to tear the city apart during this time of turmoil, especially those the guard are not allowed to touch. I promise you, i am discreet. I am not the unseen for nothing. If you think i can be of help, please let me know. I wish only what is best for the people of this city."

Rizban
2010-06-02, 03:01 PM
"If you are as you claim, then you should be able to track down a guard named Kaspar for me. He's corrupt to the core and a known extortionist. The problem is that I can't seem to get any charges to stick. Anyone who is willing to speak against him disappears. If you can find and eliminate him without drawing attention, that would be good.

It would be better, however, if you could get some crimes on him that would stick and uncover the names of some of his colleagues.

I'll leave whatever you decide up to you. I can't pay you much, being but a guard with limited resources, but you'll be doing the city a great favor. If you do uncover some additional information, then you'd be assuring yourself of more work in the future."

planswalker
2010-06-02, 03:14 PM
Sounds exactly like my kind of work. Does he have any specific habits i could tail? If you can tell me where he lives, i guarantee i can kill a lowly crooked guard unless his friends higher up have invested HEAVY precautions into him. I understand that killing him is not the top priority, however. Finding out who protects him is. I will try to find information on who is protecting him before i deal with him. Realistically, it may be hard to make charges stick. He will not be plaguing the city this time next week, however. Rats like him need vultures to survive, but every rat helps.

Oh, by the way, how much will you pay? Understand, i am not in this for the money, but i must be able to live, and my methods involve moderately costly supplies.

Rizban
2010-06-02, 03:27 PM
"I'll pay you enough to cover you costs plus a little extra. You need not worry about that. Just try not to get too exorbitant."

I don't know exactly, because I'm still trying to figure out how he's doing the rating system for determining pay. Give me a chance to get in touch with him for exact numbers, ok?

planswalker
2010-06-02, 03:30 PM
That is quite fair. I shall be sure to itemize expenses. Can you give me any more on this Kaspar than a name and a list of suspected crimes? Where does he patrol? Which shift?
not a problem. I'm patient. This is virtual rewards for a pretend game. gp is just a way of keeping score.

Rizban
2010-06-02, 03:53 PM
"He is on evening patrol today along Porter's Road in the Merchant's Quarter."

Marcell checks the clock on his desk, the only object of any real value in the room apart from his personal gear.

"He actually went on duty a little over an hour ago. Later in the shift, he can usually be found 'patrolling' the alleyway between Porter's and Raine's when he works that beat. He seems to keep his nose fairly clean during the first two or three hours.

Kaspar is a lanky man with a prominent hooked nose and dark curly brown hair. You can't miss him."

planswalker
2010-06-02, 04:17 PM
"I thank you for the opportunity." He walks out of the garrison and makes himself invisible once more. He immediately uses his routing of flying and gliding to (1 round flying, 30 ft verical to 3 rounds gliding, losing 30' vertical. (he can do this up to 40 mins/day before he becomes exhausted, following this pattern. he usually will only fly for 30 minutes in one day, to save his strength should he find flight needful.) He seeks out Kaspar on his path so he can get a measure of the man before he actually finds him guilty. once he reaches the man, he will tail him on foot, following from 40 foot back. He grabs a wand of amplify in his right hand, silent portal in his left, ready for anything that might happen.

move silently check [roll0] (40 ft following is a -4 penalty to the listen check, as well as possible -5 for distraction)
hide check:[roll1] (treating invisibility as adding +20 to the dc for invisble, moving objects) (same penalties apply as above to spot checks)

I know how your dice rolling goes. I want to give myself every advantage i can get, no offense. I'm sure one of them will be in the high teens or even a 20.

Rizban
2010-06-02, 04:35 PM
You find Kaspar wandering aimlessly down Raine's and back up Porter's, making his rounds. He continues this path for almost an hour, stopping occasionally to chat with passersby. At the end of the 3rd round you've seen, he stops at the guard shack and sits for a bit with his legs propped up.

He doesn't seem to be going anywhere for the moment.

planswalker
2010-06-02, 04:39 PM
He shall continue following until something suspicious happens or his shift ends. The name of the game is wait. Uvag understands that patience is required.

hide: [roll0] Staying the same 40' distance
move silently:[roll1]

Rizban
2010-06-02, 08:51 PM
He starts up his rounds again, and on the end of the first one, he approaches a dark skinned elf and starts to chat with him. It seems a bit important, so you listen in on the conversation.

"Evenin' sir, I hain't seen ya round abouts before. Ya lookin fer something special I mights can help ya find?"

"Nothing in particular, although I feel I may be slightly lost. Could you show me where The Sisters of Salvation Centre is please?"

"Yeah, sure, it's that squatty plaster building right there."

"Thank you! Can't imagine there's much for you to do around here, is there much trouble?"

"There be plenty to do despite the lack of trouble. You looking to cause some trouble?"

planswalker
2010-06-03, 07:30 AM
He notes where the sisters of salvation center is, before continuing to listen to their conversation. He also notes this new elf who has entered the scene. He will continue tailing Kaspar.

Rizban
2010-06-03, 02:51 PM
"Me? Of course not! I'm here to stop trouble if anything." The elf stretches out his hand to the guard. "Valore Kineth, professional bodyguard."

The guard shakes his hand but looks a little doubtful.

The elf shrugs and says simply, "Thank you for your time." before approaching the Sisters of Salvation Center and speaking to one of the Sisters.

Kaspar watches the elf go with a suspicious look on his face but eventually just shakes his head and begins to walk down Porter's to the west, following the elf while trying not to appear as if he is doing so.

Map of relevant area:
http://www.mornproductions.com/images/AvB/uj46htr.png

planswalker
2010-06-03, 02:59 PM
Uvag chuckles on the inside, thinking about how the bodyguard is being followed by a bent cop trying to not be seen, who is being followed by a vigilante who cannot be seen.

He moves a little closer to the guard, so he can keep up with the elf that the guard is tailing too (20 ft)
hide check: [roll0]
move silently: [roll1]
i assume similar modifiers as applied to the other 2 still do (-2 for distance, -5 for distraction, since those following another are unlikely to think they're being followed)

Rizban
2010-06-03, 03:28 PM
I'm keeping track of all your modifiers and things. Don't worry about it. The occasional rolls are good though.

And just so you know, I am using the forum roller (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154686) for everything. I just put all rolls from all threads I'm DMing in it so you don't know. Mwahaha!

The elf, Valore Kineth, seems to be trying to obtain information of some sort from one of the Sisters standing outside of the Center. You can't quite hear what it is he is asking, but it seems to be about food. You notice the Sister is wearing a very fake smile and tries to subtly send him on his way, pointing back south towards Broad Chase. The elf smiles and nods, then heads west.

Kaspar nods to the Sister when he catches her eye, but she looks away in disgust. He continues to follow the elf down the road.

The elf stops at the corner of Schneider and sits down against a building, surreptitiously watching a halfling Sister pass out small packs of food to the poor about two buildings to the west on Porter's.

Kaspar waits and watches for a moment as the bag from which the food packages are being distributed is slowly emptied. A few minutes later, the clock tower on the Sesbury Bank and Trust a few blocks away begins to chime 8PM.

The halfling woman looks around quickly, and you catch glimpse of fear on her face. Kaspar walks past the elf, completely ignoring him, and approaches the halfling. He picks up her bag of food and walks into the alley. She bids farewell to the remaining people and follows him, head downcast.

They enter the alley and turn to the right around the building into a more open area surrounded by buildings. Valore Kineth, the elf bodyguard, sneaks in close behind them, holding a potion to his lips ready to drink in an instant.

planswalker
2010-06-03, 03:57 PM
Uvag follows the guardsman around the corner, staying close behind him. (10ft.) If he should need to rescue the lady from trouble, he wants to be close.

I'm sorry to bug you about the modifiers. i do realize that you probably know most skill modifiers better than I do, but i wanted to make sure that the specific modifiers for stealth based on penalties to spot and listen were not forgotten.
Btw, do i understand correctly that this elven bodyguard is another pc?

Rizban
2010-06-03, 04:02 PM
He might be...

Kaspar digs through the bag until he finds one of the packages which clinks with the sounds of coins.

"You've done well, Maria, but I'm not sure it's quite good enough."

The halfling flinches at his words. He slides the coins into his coat. Kaspar pushes her against the wall and leans in as if to kiss her. Maria goes pale and looks terrified.

planswalker
2010-06-03, 04:03 PM
Uvag slips the wands in his pockets. He places a hand at the guard's back and says. "i wouldn't do that, my boy." (still invisible)

Rizban
2010-06-03, 06:56 PM
Kaspar looks over his shoulder in fear, and Maria looks up hopeful of rescue. Her hope turns to terror as the arrow pierces her side, a spray of blood briefly fountaining from her before she collapses to her knees gasping for breath.

Kaspar recoils as he is splashed by blood and promptly soils himself.

In response to your statement, you hear a voice say "A bit bloody late."

planswalker
2010-06-03, 07:23 PM
I move back a few feet and remain silent, trying to see who did that.

Hide check: [roll0]
move silently: [roll1]
spot: [roll2]
I do have see the unseen. Invisibility doesn't work against me. I also have devil's sight, so i can see through even magical darkness 30 feet.

Rizban
2010-06-03, 07:31 PM
You see the elf bodyguard Valore Kineth about 15ft feet away standing in the alley from which the two left the street. He wasn't even trying to hide. You simply did not notice him, because you were so focused on the couple and he was slightly around a corner.

Kaspar falls to his knees in terror. Maria is bleeding profusely but still alive.

planswalker
2010-06-03, 07:36 PM
Realizing that he is no physician and as likely to make matters worse as help with the poor girl, Uvag draws his blade and asks the elf "Why the hell did that girl need to die?" He then steps to the side and back, so as to avoid those elven ears letting him get a free shot.

hide [roll0]
move silently [roll1]

Rizban
2010-06-03, 08:37 PM
The elf says, "Since Mr Mysterious Voice has ruined this for me, might aswell get rid of the witness."

He unleashes a flurry of arrows into both people and turns to run before you can react to stop him. They both fall to the ground, dead.

He then drops his bow, draws his swords, and shouts, "Show yourself!"

planswalker
2010-06-03, 08:43 PM
I fly after him, taking the run action ( as the dragonborn trait says i can) assuming i catch up with him, i will attack him with a hideous blow from my greatsword, using the admixture too boost it by 2d6.
attack roll:
damage: (if i hit) [roll]2d6+4+3d6+2d6
3d6 is eldritch blast, 2d6 is admixture's electric damage.

planswalker
2010-06-03, 08:45 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Rizban
2010-06-03, 09:36 PM
Sorry, I was having to work something out with another player and lost track of this one.

Note that I edited the previous post a little bit.

planswalker
2010-06-03, 09:38 PM
no prob. i can be patient

Rizban
2010-06-04, 10:37 AM
The elf twitches at the last moment, and the sword passes close enough to him that you can taste ozone caused by the energy encapsulating the blade.

"Nice try."

"Now listen. You're covered in blood, and were clearly stalking this guard with some insidious intent. I was stalking the woman with similar intent. Neither of us needs to be uncovered in this situation. Let's walk away slowly, and nobody will ever know."

It's still his turn, but you do get a free action to reply.

[spoiler]http://www.mornproductions.com/images/AvB/Elf-DB.png

If you take the fight out into the street, you're certain to end up with a warrant for your arrest. You'll need to either end the fight without drawing too much attention or kill all witnesses. You need not necessarily kill the elf though. He's not likely to report you to the authorities.

In any case, your target is dead, so you'll get paid as long as you are spotted and identified, even if you aren't actually the one who killed him.

planswalker
2010-06-04, 11:07 AM
"Tell you what, I don't really want attention directed to myself either. I can cover my escape rather easily, and if i had not rushed you so rashly, you still would not have seen me. I will collect my bounty, you collect yours. Neither of us wants this right now."

Uvag hated having to negotiate with someone who just killed a woman who was (at least as far as he knew) innocent, and it irked him even more that this elf just killed a man for being a witness, but he did not really want to start something this close to the streets. He withdraws back to the alley, assuming that the elf does not attack.

Rizban
2010-06-04, 01:50 PM
"Very well. I hope we do not cross paths again ... It will no doubt end up far bloodier."

The elf, keeping his weapons drawn, starts moving back onto the street from which he came, only sheathing his swords once he is sure you are not following him. Upon reaching the street he casually blends into the crowd.

planswalker
2010-06-04, 03:29 PM
I rush to the woman's aid, hoping she may still be alive.

Rizban
2010-06-04, 03:35 PM
Both individuals are dead.

planswalker
2010-06-04, 03:46 PM
Upon realizing that they are dead, he makes himself invisible so as to reduce the chance of incrimination on his part. He also shrouds the area in darkness, so no one can see the body move by itself. Uvag searches the guard's body to see if there is anything which might give a clue as to what exactly he was involved in.

Rizban
2010-06-04, 04:27 PM
Unfortunately, there is nothing to incriminate anyone else to be found on Kaspar's body. It seems he carried no paper trail with him. Maria, your only other lead, is also deceased. You do find 1000 gold in the bag he took from the halfling, which you assume rightfully belongs to the Sisters of Salvation. You think it might do well to return it, and possibly her body, to them.

You also earned 500 experience for "completing" your contract.

planswalker
2010-06-04, 04:32 PM
I pick up her body and the bag of gold, then recast the invisibility to include the new "possessions". he then makes his way to the sisters of salvation.

Rizban
2010-06-04, 04:57 PM
The Sisters of Salvation Center is a small two story plaster building with several open windows on the corner of Porter's Road and Steinbacher Hohl. The Sisters are going about business as usual, oblivious to the death of Sister Maria. Night has fallen, and the Sisters are busy shutting everything down and readying for bed.

planswalker
2010-06-04, 04:59 PM
Uvag walks into the place and attempts to recognize who is in charge.

Rizban
2010-06-04, 05:00 PM
The Sister who most obviously in charge is a tall blonde in her mid 30s who is leading evening prayers for a group of some twenty younger girls.

planswalker
2010-06-04, 05:04 PM
While they are praying, Uvag walks over to the sisters and stands next to the leader. When the prayers are over, he whispers to her. "I have important things i need to discuss with you in private. I am currently invisible and do not wish to make a scene. Please show me somewhere private we can have this conversation."
move silently [roll0]
gotta catch dinner at the DH before it closes. Will be gone for a few.

Rizban
2010-06-04, 05:09 PM
She looks somewhat frightened but manages to hide it from the other Sisters. She motions to two of the older Sisters.

"Abigail, Ivonne, come with me. I have need of you for a moment."

The three walk to a back room which appears to be a combination office and museum. The two other Sisters enter while blonde stands by the open door for a moment, obviously waiting for you to enter. After a bit of waiting, she will close the door.

planswalker
2010-06-04, 05:58 PM
Uvag walks through the door and whispers, "thanks" on his way past. After the blonde shuts the door, he sets the body and sack of gold on the desk. "I am Uvag, a friend to those who seek to do right. I was monitoring a certain man on the city watch named Kaspar. He approached the young lady on the desk and the two went to a back alley. She tried to give him that sack of gold there and he demanded that it wasn't enough. When he went to demanding of her person what she was not willing to give, i intervened. An elf was following her and shot her with an arrow to her side. He then proceeded to do the same to Kaspar. Although i tried to catch this villain, he got away. I'm afraid that my skills do not include the healer's art and this woman bled to death. In this bag is about a thousand gold pieces. Can you tell me why she was going to give a thousand gold to a corrupt watchman, why an elf was sent to assassinate her, or what this has to do with this place?"

He waits for an answer.

bluff check: [roll0] -he concealed the fact that he let the assassin get away so as to avoid scrutiny

Rizban
2010-06-04, 11:29 PM
The three gasp loudly and all start to talk at once, finally, the blonde quiets the other two.

"Silence, Sisters. Uvag, you have done well to return Sister Maria to us. I fear that she betrayed our trust, but we seem to have failed hers. She should have come to us instead of acquiescing to a corrupt Guardsman.

Abigail, see to it that a burial site is prepared for Sister Maria.

As to the gold, sir, it need not concern you. Suffice it to say that we have had some funds go missing of late, and it is good that we know where they were going, better that these were returned to us.

Normally, I am a woman of peace, but this assault against us can not be ignored. I will reward you very handsomely if you bring this cretin to a final justice and bring me proof of his demise."

Abigail bows quietly and leaves the room, quickly closing the door behind her. Before the door is fully shut, you hear one of the Sisters standing just outside gasp. Margarete and Ivonne fail to notice.

planswalker
2010-06-04, 11:41 PM
She is talking about the elf cretin with the arrows, right?

Rizban
2010-06-04, 11:47 PM
Yes.stealth text

planswalker
2010-06-04, 11:48 PM
Please tell me all you know about Sister Maria, the guard Kaspar, and what possible motivation someone had for hiring a trained assassin to kill her.

Rizban
2010-06-05, 12:17 AM
"Sister Maria is... was rather quiet and unassuming but always friendly and loved by many. She enjoyed donating to the less fortunate, and I can think of no reason anyone would mean her harm.

Kaspar is one of which I know little, but I have heard rumors. From what I have heard, it sounds likely that he was extorting Maria for money and possibly other things. Her death is likely related to, if not caused by, her association with him. I swear, if he weren't already dead..."

Margarete begins to shake with fury, and Sis Ivonne places a hand on her shoulder to help calm her.

planswalker
2010-06-05, 12:23 AM
I know that this is difficult for you. you clearly loved her dearly. I wouldn't press the issue if it wasn't important for us to be able to learn everything we can. Can you remember if anyone was seen with Kaspar on his patrols? Anything you can remember could potentially lead to finding justice for her killer.
diplomacy [roll0]
trying to comfort the woman, hoping to make her more coherent and helpful.

Rizban
2010-06-05, 10:51 AM
"I've only ever seen the man once, and any rumors I've heard were vague. I know only that he was not a good man."

planswalker
2010-06-05, 10:56 AM
"thank you. If you can remember anything else, contact Marcell at the city guard's outpost. I will leave you to your grief with this promise: justice WILL be found."

Uvag returns to the guard post to see if there is anything more he can learn about this from Marcell.

Rizban
2010-06-05, 11:00 AM
As soon as you open the door out of the office at the Sisters of Salvation, you look to your right. On the bench by the door sits an elf. An elf who claims to be a bodyguard named Valore Kineth.

planswalker
2010-06-05, 11:04 AM
I draw my weapon and enshroud the area in darkness. This bastard will pay for what he did.
the darkness is as the darkness spell. I'm doing the darkness as the surprise round.

Rizban
2010-06-05, 11:10 AM
"You! What the hell are you doing here!? Get back sisters, he's dangerous!"

The elf moves forward in front of the Sister with which he was conversing. He grips the short sword he is holding in his left hand firmly, lifting it up in front of him, and reaching for his rapier.

He manages this just before the darkness falls.

((Roll initiative.))

planswalker
2010-06-05, 11:27 AM
1d20+2-initiative

planswalker
2010-06-05, 11:28 AM
[roll0]-initiative

Rizban
2010-06-05, 11:29 AM
((You win initiative))

planswalker
2010-06-05, 12:12 PM
I charge at the assassin, wielding my greatsword charged with eldritch energy and crackling with electricity. I take one massive swing at him.
[spoiler]attack roll:[roll0]
damage: [roll1] weapon itself
[roll2] hideous blow
[roll3] eldritch admixture (1 charge)

Rizban
2010-06-05, 03:45 PM
"Sarah, I fear I cannot protect you! Run! That goes for all of you too! He's a madman, he butchered Sister Maria! Look at the blood on him!"

The elf turns and runs forty feet towards the door, stopping 10 feet away from it. He turns and fires blindly at you and manages to hit.

The Sister to which the elf was speaking runs after him, seeking protection from you. As she passes the elf, he says "Behind me, Sarah! I'll do what I can to protect you!"

She passes through the door then turns to see if the elf is following her.

You take 17 damage from the attack.
The arrow is poisoned, make a Fortitude save.

Sister Sarah seems to have befriended the elf and is honestly seeking protection from him.

planswalker
2010-06-05, 03:58 PM
[roll0]-fort save
Uvag charges the elfin liar yet again, his sword crackling with electricity.
attack-[roll1]
damage:[roll2]-sword
[roll3]-hideous blow
[roll4]-admixture

Rizban
2010-06-05, 04:02 PM
As you charge forth, you hear the elf yell, "Sisters, I suggest you disregard whatever this lying scum said! He slaughtered Sister Maria! And please, for your own protection, stand back, I'll end his worthless life here and now!"

You burst forth from the shadow and cut down the elf where he stands.

The Sisters run in terror trying to hide and flee. Sister Lady Margarete comes out of the office and tries to calm them, but they still seem quite terrified.

planswalker
2010-06-05, 04:30 PM
Uvag says, "I am sorry to have scared all of you. It was not my intention to be so brazen in this, but i could not allow the man who killed sister Maria to walk out of here with another of you. If you examine your sister's body, you will find that her wound are punctures made by an arrow, not the gashes of my big knife here. He killed her in cold blood, for money. I have just been talking with Lady Margarite; she asked me to avenge maria's death. Here is her killer. You did not see me because i have the power to become unseen." he becomes invisible and dismisses it as proof.
"Please do not be frightened. Though i can be fierce in battle, i seek to uphold justice for the helpless. I am not a killer for hire."

Rizban
2010-06-05, 04:37 PM
Many of the Sisters have already left the room so do not hear your speech. Many who remained are still afraid, but some seem to have calmed down.

Sister Lady Margarete steps forward, "He speaks the truth as far as I have seen. Please calm yourselves and clean up this mess. You, you, you, and you, remove this body to the burial chamber." The three sisters to which she pointed run forward, grab the elf corpse, and carry it through a back door. A moment later, Sister Abigail returns with the four, and they fetch Sister Maria's body from the office and carry it the same way.

Margarete turns to you and says, "Sir, I do know who hired this man or why, but I do thank you for your aid. I know not how we can adequately repay you, but you do have our thanks."

planswalker
2010-06-05, 04:46 PM
"I demand no reward, but i do ask that i be allowed to search that assassin for clues as who hired him. Also, if i may be so bold, i would like to take from his body as trophies such items he owns as might prove useful to me in my quest to defend the helpless. Please sell the rest to help this place. Although money cannot replace the girl who was lost, the money can help the rest carry on in her place."

he realizes that he is still holding his sword in his hands and places it back in his sheath.

Rizban
2010-08-02, 08:00 PM
A terrible explosion suddenly rocks the entire city, and the ground shakes as if an earthquake were tearing the city apart. The sky lights up from a blast many times the brightness of the sun, and you are certain that certain death has at last come to claim you. As the brightness fades, you look toward the Mages' Quarter and see the last remnants of the horror burning directly towards the sky in a seemingly endless stream of raw, burning mana which threatens to tear reality asunder. What seems like an eternity passes as you stare, though it is likely only a few seconds, and at last the blast fades away. In the distance, you hear a building collapse, and you are certain that something horrible has been unleashed upon the city.