PDA

View Full Version : Extra Move Action

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-06-02, 01:15 PM
Random question. I am looking into playing a totemist with blink shirt as the totem soulmeld into tefflamar shadowlord in an upcoming module. I thought about taking the threefold crown of chimera as another soulmeld which would let me get an extra move action in that round however that would only be for one round. Is there any other feats/classes/spells/items etc that would allow one or more extra move actions in a round.

Caphi
2010-06-02, 01:18 PM
Belt of battle (MIC 73) will give it to you 3/day.

Greenish
2010-06-02, 01:20 PM
Hustle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/hustle.htm) psionic power gives you a move action, but takes swift action to manifest.

Travel Devotion doesn't give you move actions, but allows you to move your speed as a swift action.

Person_Man
2010-06-02, 01:26 PM
Shazam (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358)!!!!

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-06-02, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. Person man...you're the man. Nice list dude. I was looking into tome of battle as options for other class levels. Would taking maneuvers from the shadow hand discipline count towards the sneak attack prerequisite for the shadowlord PrC?

Greenish
2010-06-02, 01:39 PM
Would taking maneuvers from the shadow hand discipline count towards the sneak attack prerequisite for the shadowlord PrC?Only Assassin's Stance, which actually grants 2d6 SA.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-02, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. Person man...you're the man. Nice list dude. I was looking into tome of battle as options for other class levels. Would taking maneuvers from the shadow hand discipline count towards the sneak attack prerequisite for the shadowlord PrC?

I believe that by RAW yes, while you are in Assassin Stance, if you take another stance, you no longer have the SA and therefore loose the prestige class.

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-06-02, 01:43 PM
Alright Final question then....I think. Is there a way to take Shadowhand maneuvers as a Warblade. Perhaps with the martial training feats? Or would being a swordsage be my only option here for that?

Person_Man
2010-06-02, 02:13 PM
Alright Final question then....I think. Is there a way to take Shadowhand maneuvers as a Warblade. Perhaps with the martial training feats? Or would being a swordsage be my only option here for that?

What exactly are your build goals, books allowed, and level?

mabriss lethe
2010-06-02, 02:40 PM
martial study and stance will let you pick up maneuvers and stances from any discipline, so, yes. a warblade could use it to pick up shadow hand though you still need to meet the prereqs of each maneuver/stance.

Darrin
2010-06-02, 03:23 PM
Shazam (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358)!!!!

Not on Person_Man's list:

Tempo Bloodspike (Magic of Eberron p. 140): Up to one hour after injecting this alchemical substance into your bloodstream, you can activate it on your turn to take an additional move action.

Greaves of Aundair (Forge of War p. 124): 3/day, take a move action as an immediate action, although afterward you're dazed until the end of your next turn.

strider24seven
2010-06-02, 03:27 PM
For getting extra uses of Shadowpounce, which I assume is what you are really looking for, you really need to take levels in Swordsage (2 will get you everything you need) and the Adaptive Style feat to fix the sucky method of Swordsage recovery.

Take Shadow Jaunt, Stride, and Blink, and probably Assassin's Stance for extra SA (They will be flanked if you teleport). If you want extra nastiness, take Battle Jump from Unapproachable East and teleport 5' (or 10') above the enemey and drop on him, initiating a charge. Then you can apply all sorts of charging/power attack nonsense with Shadowpounce.

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-06-02, 03:51 PM
What exactly are your build goals, books allowed, and level?

20th Level, any books or dragon magazines are applicable. I looked into battle jump as mentioned to drop in from top of a foe. Other than the 6 levels (2 totemist/4 shadowlord) I am pretty open to ideas to optimize damage. I was also thinking about a single level of abrupt jaunt wizard to get immediate action teleports and as such shadow pounce again. Teleporting from the totem blink shirt gives me 2 full attacks per round and if I can pick up extra move actions that would give me more. Plus extra full attacks if I use that immediate action 10 foot teleport. But honestly...any ideas can change my mind quickly if they are awesome :)

strider24seven
2010-06-02, 03:57 PM
Shadow Jaunt, Stride, and Blink give you teleport as a standard, move, and swift action, IIRC. Abrupt Jaunt lets you tele as an immediate action, which prevents you from Shadow Blinking the next round. It -is- useful, however to get a full attack (charge with Battle Jump) when it's not your turn. It tanks your BAB without Fractional BAB, though.

As an addendum to my earlier post- The Battle Jump+Shock Trooper Combo pretty much requires Pounce in order to be effective. Your best bets are dips in Lion Totem Barbarian (which is a good dip for any melee build), the Feral Template (which is pretty overpowered for a +1 LA template, IMO), or a way to shapeshift into any form with Pounce (Lions and their Dire forms are a good bet).

AslanCross
2010-06-02, 06:03 PM
Tempo Bloodspike (Magic of Eberron p. 140): Up to one hour after injecting this alchemical substance into your bloodstream, you can activate it on your turn to take an additional move action.

This. It's really cheap besides.

Boci
2010-06-02, 06:07 PM
Since blinkshirt gives you dimension door, aren't you prevented from attacking after ytou use it?

lsfreak
2010-06-02, 06:09 PM
Since blinkshirt gives you dimension door, aren't you prevented from attacking after ytou use it?

That's what the Shadowlord is for. Shadowpounce lets you make a full attack after a teleport.

Boci
2010-06-02, 06:11 PM
That's what the Shadowlord is for. Shadowpounce lets you make a full attack after a teleport.

I'm pretty sure the DD's wording counts as the specific version though. Or it is okayed in the ability's description?

Greenish
2010-06-02, 06:12 PM
Since blinkshirt gives you dimension door, aren't you prevented from attacking after ytou use it?Battle Jump allows you attack as if charging if you drop 10' or more. Dimension Door above the enemy as a standard action, drop as a free action, get full attack with Pounce.

Boci
2010-06-02, 06:15 PM
Battle Jump allows you attack as if charging if you drop 10' or more. Dimension Door above the enemy as a standard action, drop as a free action, get full attack with Pounce.

So which is the specific if DD prevents you from taking any more actions during your turn?

lsfreak
2010-06-02, 06:17 PM
It mentions shadow jump specifically as one of the things that activates shadowpounce, which is based on dimension door. Thus I read it as overcoming DD's limitations.

Exact text:
Any time he uses an ability, spell, or effect with the teleportation descriptor (for example, his shadow jump abilty), he may execute a full attack upon completion of the teleportation. The shadowlord must have line of sight on his intended target from his original location, and the spot to which he teleports must be a place from which he can launch a melee attack at the intended target with whatever weapon he has in hand at the beginning of his action.

I could see dimension door being ruled be be a specific exception to shadowpouncing, and I could see shadowpounce being a specific exception to dimension door's limited action, but I'm pretty sure the line about shadow jump working means it works with DD as well.

Boci
2010-06-02, 06:26 PM
It mentions shadow jump specifically as one of the things that activates shadowpounce, which is based on dimension door. Thus I read it as overcoming DD's limitations.

Exact text:
Any time he uses an ability, spell, or effect with the teleportation descriptor (for example, his shadow jump abilty), he may execute a full attack upon completion of the teleportation. The shadowlord must have line of sight on his intended target from his original location, and the spot to which he teleports must be a place from which he can launch a melee attack at the intended target with whatever weapon he has in hand at the beginning of his action.

I could see dimension door being ruled be be a specific exception to shadowpouncing, and I could see shadowpounce being a specific exception to dimension door's limited action, but I'm pretty sure the line about shadow jump working means it works with DD as well.

I'd say that pretty solid evidence that DD's limitations are overridden. Now it could be argued that WotC just automatically compared any short ranged teleportation ability to DD and forgot about the limitation in the case of shadow jump, but by RAW it works and there's no reason to nerf it in such a manner.

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-06-02, 09:57 PM
Alright...now that the battle of whither or not shadowpounce is allowed. Which it is in the ruling of the DM in this case. What about ideas to optimize the build. I still am looking into tome of battle for certain maneuvers. Thanks to the idea about making recovering the maneuvers for swordsage better. That is definitely a must and really was one of the main reasons I was shying away from that class to start with.

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-06-03, 10:05 PM
Alright guys, no intention of playing this in an actual game. But I wanted to run it by the community and see what people have to say. I think I found an infinite loop, check behind my work but if it is all taken as literally as it is stated then I found a way to get unlimited attacks. Its going to be using the Totemist using blink shirt for teleporting, Teflammar Shadowlord, and Swiftblade classes. Shadowlord gets haste on its spell list and the dodge and mobility prereqs of swiftblade mesh well with the prereqs of shadowlord. That being said as you already know any time you teleport you get a full attack action thanks to shadow pounce. Under haste as it is written in the PHB it says that any time you take a full attack action you get one extra attack at your full attack bonus. The 9th level ability of swiftblade says anytime you would get the extra attack at your full attack bonus you may instead take one move or standard action. The blinkshirt soulmeld of totemist allows you to teleport as a move or a standard sepending on how you shape it. Either way fitting into the extra move or standard you would get from swiftblade. SO You start off combat casting haste...a free action for swiftblade draw weapon as a move, teleport as a move to get a full attack action. Give up the extra attack during that full attack to gain a move action. Use that move action to teleport as such getting a full attack action. Rinse and repeat until combat is over....broken? Yes...following the rules word for word....I think yes again. I may be totally wrong here. Either way I have no intention of playing such a broken character. Just felt like sharing what I have stumbled upon in my book browsing.

Force
2010-06-03, 10:09 PM
Alright...now that the battle of whither or not shadowpounce is allowed. Which it is in the ruling of the DM in this case. What about ideas to optimize the build. I still am looking into tome of battle for certain maneuvers. Thanks to the idea about making recovering the maneuvers for swordsage better. That is definitely a must and really was one of the main reasons I was shying away from that class to start with.

I believe the feat you're looking for is Adaptive Style, which lets you recharge your maneuvers by taking a full-round action. Not anywhere near as nice as Warblade's recovery mechanism, but makes swordsage a lot better.

Curmudgeon
2010-06-03, 10:30 PM
The blinkshirt soulmeld of totemist allows you to teleport as a move or a standard sepending on how you shape it.
Using the chakra bind of the Blink Shirt soulmeld doesn't change this limitation:
By shaping incarnum into a shirt resembling blink dog fur, you gain the ability to teleport (as dimension door) up to 10 feet at will. Using this ability is a standard action. After using this ability, you can’t take any other actions until your next turn.

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-06-03, 10:50 PM
@ Curmudgeon

Shadowpounce- "Any time he uses an ability, spell, or effect with the teleportation descriptor, he may execute a full attack upon completion of the teleportation."

P.S. Bolding things does not reinforce your point any more. This obviously could be taken either way as both say exact opposite of each other.

@ Everyone else. Assuming we are going to go with the exact quote of "any time" as mentioned before. What do you think of the idea.

Aneantir
2010-06-03, 11:35 PM
@ Curmudgeon

Shadowpounce- "Any time he uses an ability, spell, or effect with the teleportation descriptor, he may execute a full attack upon completion of the teleportation."

P.S. Bolding things does not reinforce your point any more. This obviously could be taken either way as both say exact opposite of each other.

@ Everyone else. Assuming we are going to go with the exact quote of "any time" as mentioned before. What do you think of the idea.

Don't be harshin' on Curmudgeon, he's got your number on this one.

Even if this did net you repeated standard actions, which I'm pretty sure goes against RAW, you can't use them. What happens is you dimension door, you get a full attack, you net yourself a standard action, but you can't USE that action due to the clause of Dimension Door.

Petrankov
2010-06-04, 07:41 AM
Off the top of my head for a feat, Heroic Surge (Dragonlance Campaign setting or Age of Mortals) grants either an extra standard or move action 1x day per 4 levels.

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-06-04, 01:10 PM
Don't be harshin' on Curmudgeon, he's got your number on this one.

Even if this did net you repeated standard actions, which I'm pretty sure goes against RAW, you can't use them. What happens is you dimension door, you get a full attack, you net yourself a standard action, but you can't USE that action due to the clause of Dimension Door.

That is a much more valid point as such I have no qualms with it. In this particular instance I would be using the Dimension Door ability as a move action too. Would that go against RAW as well. I also think that even though your point is definitely valid it could be argued that since haste gives you the extra attack as part of your full attack action and perpetual options gives you a move action instead of that attack that you could include that move action as part of the full attack option granted by shadow pounce. However I will say that would be a little tougher to argue haha. Once again this is just for ****s and giggles I am playing a real build with the totemist and shadowlord combo going on too though. Thanks to petrankov for the tip. Ill check into those extra move actions as well. Although technically with aneantirs input those extra actions would not matter anyways unless I did try to make the argument with perpetual options from before. So...sweet haha

Ormagoden
2010-06-04, 01:31 PM
Although I'm not exactly sure this is what you're looking for.

Chronocharm of the horizon walker allows you to move your base speed as a swift action that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity. 1/day

It doesn't give you another move action but it does free up a move action.