PDA

View Full Version : ASSASSINS VERSUS BODYGUARDS: Team Nonpan

Pages : [1] 2

The Watchman
2010-06-02, 01:26 PM
This thread is meant for the eyes of those who are members of Team Nonpan only. If you are not a Nonpanite, GTFO.

Broad Chase stretches before you. As has been described before, the two most prominent buildings are the marble Guild headquarters and Pirner Outfitters.
The four of you have, by a bit of luck, managed to arrive at the same time, and are all standing there in front of Pirner Outfitters. The magical items in the window glitter enticingly.

Rizban
2010-06-02, 02:30 PM
Almahdi arrived at Pirner Outfitters after being directed there to purchase some necessary good. He notices the other three... people approaching as a group and is a bit wary of them. Regardless, he enters the store and begins browsing.

planswalker
2010-06-02, 02:40 PM
The warforged walks up to the stranger and says, "Greetings. Who are you?" He tries to be friendly, although he doesn't understand the normal social graces. "I am, well, i am called 'Silver'. Does that qualify as a name?"

Jallorn
2010-06-02, 02:40 PM
Hira marches right up to the first person he sees that clearly works there, Where might I find Pirner, I would like to speak with him regarding business.

Rizban
2010-06-02, 02:47 PM
The hooded figure glances at the construct but says nothing. He is either unwilling or unable to speak to you. He continues to browse through the items as if unaware of the statement.

planswalker
2010-06-02, 02:54 PM
"Are you shy? I have heard that shy people don't like to be talked to. Please excuse me for bothering you."

The Watchman
2010-06-02, 03:27 PM
JALLORN

The first obvious worker you see is a man in a business suit sitting behind a counter by the door. He blinks when you address him, looking somewhat startled.
"Mister Pirner? Well, he'd be in his office. In the back. Do you have an appointment to see him?"

Jallorn
2010-06-02, 03:38 PM
I'm afraid not, is that a problem? Hira says, leaning on his trident.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Active Auras:
Motivate Charisma
Resilient Troops
Senses
Presence

OOC: Yeah, I've got crazy high diplomacy scores

If we could get access to the other members of the team's sheets, that'd be cool. Also good for better coordination of tactics, and so we know what each other look like. Here's mine:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=134358

Rizban
2010-06-02, 03:48 PM
Almahdi (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=210954) white text

planswalker
2010-06-02, 04:02 PM
The Silver Sentinel (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=210631)

The Watchman
2010-06-03, 10:27 AM
JALLORN

The man squirms slightly, looking embarrassed. "Well, yes," he says sheepishly. "But I think I can get you an appointment for... well..."
He reaches beneath the counter and pulls out a small, leather-bound ledger, opens it and glances at the page. "Ten minutes?" he says brightly. He picks up a pen and scribbles something off the page. "We have an opening."

Jallorn
2010-06-03, 10:51 AM
That will do just fine, thank you. I'll just browse around the shop until then.

planswalker
2010-06-03, 11:21 AM
The warforged clomps over to Hira and asks, "Did the nice man there give us an appointment?"

Jallorn
2010-06-03, 11:30 AM
Yes, in ten minutes. Who were you talking to?

planswalker
2010-06-03, 11:44 AM
I don't know. I think he is one of those "shy" people my maker told me about. He didn't say who he was.

Rizban
2010-06-04, 12:19 AM
The hooded man continues to browse through the collection of goods, selecting a few objects and carrying them over to the counter. He sets down a magnet, a rubber ball, and a 50ft roll of twine. Wordlessly, he motions to the items and the clerk, who motions back. The hooded man silently counts out a few coins, receives his change, and the two exchange a few more gestures. He then turns and heads for the back of the shop and enters a door, presumably to the back office.

-23.1 gp (all items in the Dungeonscape book)

The Watchman
2010-06-04, 01:05 PM
A few minutes pass, with the four of you shuffling restlessly around the confines of the shop. Finally, though, the man behind the counter stands up, strides to a door at the rear and raps smartly on it. "Mister Pirner?" he calls.
"Yes? What is it?" someone calls out.
"You have an appointment."
A few curses can be heard, then the door opens and Stefan Pirner ambles out.
He is a large, portly man with graying hair and a walrus mustache, dressed in a black suit (which was obviously made by a great tailor; it fits his giant frame perfectly). A golden chain, most likely for a pocketwatch, hangs from one pocket. He also wears a crystalline monocle over one eye. It twists the light in strange ways as he scrutinizes you, making his eye appear gigantic and demented.
"Four of you, eh?" he grunts. "Well, what is it?"

Jallorn
2010-06-04, 03:26 PM
Hira steps forward, I am here to extend my services as a personal guardian. I understand of course if you would like some proof of my skills. My friend here, Silver, would also like to do the same I believe.

planswalker
2010-06-04, 03:33 PM
Yes. I can protect people. I do not sleep, eat, or breathe. My weapons cannot be stolen or become dulled. I protect the boss from anything and everything he wants me to.

Rizban
2010-06-04, 03:37 PM
The hooded man approaches silently from behind Pirner and jams a knife through his back places a hand on his shoulder, slightly starling him.

The Watchman
2010-06-04, 03:57 PM
As the hooded man places his hand on Pirner's shoulder, he feels a bolt of electricity course through his body, throwing him back against the wall of the shop.

No damage, but you are shaken. This is also an important lesson for you guys: just because these people are NPCs does not mean that they are stupid, and many of them - Pirner included - have quite a bit of money to spend on defensive items, spells, and protections of various sorts. They are far from helpless.

Pirner glances back at him, brushes his shoulder off where the man touched him, and says, apparently to empty air, "I do not like to be touched."
He turns his gaze on the rest of you, clears his throat, and says, "Bodyguards, then? Well, let's get down to business. How much are you willing to work for?"

Jallorn
2010-06-04, 04:03 PM
I am new here, and do not know the local value of currency. What would you say is a fair offer for an average protector?

Rizban
2010-06-04, 04:21 PM
The instant before the energy goes off, the hooded man and the warforged switch places in a soft flash of green, and it is instead the warforged who is knocked back against the wall.

You can almost hear the hooded man grin.

Jallorn
2010-06-04, 04:22 PM
That wasn't very nice. Though it was admittedly clever.

The Watchman
2010-06-04, 04:23 PM
For a moment, you see Pirner's eyes light up with greed before he is able to bring his face back under control.
"Well, I usually pay my bodyguards around ninety gold pieces per day," he says airily. "That's six hundred and thirty a week. Plus expenses, of course."

Rizban
2010-06-04, 04:23 PM
((Jallorn, can you put quotes around what your character actually says so it's easier to discern from the rest of the text?))

The hooded man raises his hand and rubs his fingers together, indicating that he will require a bit more than that.

planswalker
2010-06-04, 04:29 PM
"Why did you do that? I do not like that." (he appears to not particularly care about the bolt itself).

"Anyways, the absolute cheapest one can hire reliable muscle is 30 gp per day for the absolute most pathetic kind available. Prices for competent help can run up many multiples of that. Someone of our overall skill will charge at least 180 gp. Special talents can run up the cost significantly. We all appear to have special talents of some sort. Furthermore, many magi and psions choose to instead charge by the spell or power, with only a nominal retainer. However, this is also partially set by the patron, his wealth, and his expected risk to himself."
He rattles all of this off like he is reciting a long-memorized poem.

edit: i meant day, not week. was thinking about another game.

The Watchman
2010-06-04, 04:35 PM
Pirner's frowns momentarily, then reverts to his normal placid smile.
"Well," he says slowly, "seeing as you were able to touch me without being vaporized, I would assume that you are a bit stronger than your average thug off the street."
He cups his chin in one hand, studying you. "Perhaps I could afford to pay you a hundred and seventy," he says.

Rizban
2010-06-04, 04:39 PM
Does Pirner understand sign language? If so, read second spoiler, if not, just ignore it.

The hooded man makes several odd gestures with his hands towards Pirner.

In sign: "One hundred seventy gold per day or per week? There is a sizable difference."

Jallorn
2010-06-04, 04:40 PM
Indeed, we are at least worth around 200 GP.

OOC: Everything my character says is in a different color. I can change the color if you would like something easier to distinguish.

planswalker
2010-06-04, 04:41 PM
"Unless business if falling well below your expected profits, I suspect that you have much more than that which you consider your life to be worth. I would never threaten you, but you get what you pay for. Protecting one's life is not something the prudent skimp out on to save a few extra gold. Personal bodyguards are expensive, but surely your life is more valuable than that. The minimum fair price would seem to be at least 250 gold each daily. If your business is unable to make enough that such expenses to keep it's most valuable asset safe is extreme, perhaps you need to downsize." He tries to appear as non-threatening as possible with this speech, squatting down to be shorter than the employer and keeping his massive spiked fists behind his back. It is doubtful if this posture was helpful to proving his point.

jallorn, please do. bronze shows up nearly identical to black on my screen.

The Watchman
2010-06-04, 04:46 PM
Pirner gives the hooded man a blank look. Still staring at him, he says to the rest of you: "Two hundred and twenty-five, no more. Once you prove that you are worth that much, we can re-negotiate terms."

Jallorn
2010-06-04, 04:47 PM
Now Silver, let's not be greedy, that's a bad way to start a business relationship.. 200 should be plenty reasonable for both parties. And if you find our services more than satisfactory, you may find it in yourself to give us a raise.

OOC: That better?

planswalker
2010-06-04, 04:49 PM
"225 per day sounds like enough for me. It is standard for a bodyguard to need to prove his worth before he can expect to be paid that amount."

yes, it is much

Rizban
2010-06-04, 04:54 PM
Indeed, we are at least worth around 200 GP.

OOC: Everything my character says is in a different color. I can change the color if you would like something easier to distinguish.

Odd, because it just shows up in black on my end... I see that it's supposed to be bronze when I quote you though.

Now Silver, let's not be greedy, that's a bad way to start a business relationship.. 200 should be plenty reasonable for both parties. And if you find our services more than satisfactory, you may find it in yourself to give us a raise.

OOC: That better?

That's MUCH better. Thank you.

The hooded man motions towards Pirner rather elaborately.

If Pirner understands Sign Language:"200 sounds fair to me, though I would willingly work for as low as 150 or even 100 per day, provided I also obtained a discount in your shop. The size of the discount would determine how low I was willing to go on my daily payments. Surely you can see how beneficial this is to both of us. You not only pay me less, but you get a majority of that pay back when I purchase goods from you. A very fair deal, as I'm sure you can see.

If he doesn't, then I'm sure that clerk who set up the appointment does.

planswalker
2010-06-07, 11:26 PM
rizban and i have discussed it, and would y'all mind if i got the ball rolling by dropping my bodyguard out and taking over for now until the watchman returns? i think i want to completely rebuild my bodyguard anyways, so i'll look at him joining some newcomer who could use the help.

Jallorn
2010-06-08, 10:58 AM
Aw, I liked having a warforged on our team, huge advantage...

planswalker
2010-06-08, 12:43 PM
if you'd rather wait for watchman without a move-along, i don't have to do that.

Jallorn
2010-06-08, 12:45 PM
nah, moving along is better, I was just complaining.:smallbiggrin:

planswalker
2010-06-08, 12:49 PM
k, IC again.

Pirner says, "well, if you insist on only 200, then i guess i can drop the pay by that much..."

Rizban
2010-06-08, 12:52 PM
((Well, the choice is lose the warforged or lose the psion.))

Jallorn
2010-06-08, 12:58 PM
As I wish to start this hopefully long business arrangement with both patience and trust, I will accept a wage of 200.

planswalker
2010-06-08, 01:13 PM
"Well, i plan on paying all of you the same, so that 'forged will have to go." He waves his hand in dismissaltowards the warforged, who says, "Very well, i demand no less than 225. See you elsewhere." The 'forged walks out of the door without listening to anything else.

Jallorn
2010-06-08, 02:58 PM
Do you have any criteria I should know?

planswalker
2010-06-08, 03:00 PM
"I trust you bodyguards to know your business. Just do not interfere with my business. I am willing to be somewhat accomodating in my lifestyle, should it prove safer. Please, each of you sign this contract and let the protection begin."

Jallorn
2010-06-08, 03:04 PM
Very well, Hira bends over the counter to read the contract before signing. If you would make the time, I'd like to go over your usual schedule and plans of the buildings you most commonly frequent.

Rizban
2010-06-08, 03:05 PM
Almahdi reaches for the contract first and signs his name in flowing calligraphy. He cares little for the fine points and knows how to escape unfavorable contracts should it prove necessary.

planswalker
2010-06-08, 03:07 PM
"Sure thing, just as soon as the last person signs." He looks rather pointedly at the person who has been standing in the corner and not saying anything.

what happened to Shoruke, anyways?

Rizban
2010-06-08, 03:14 PM
I dunno, but I sent him a PM asking if he was still going to play.

Jallorn
2010-06-08, 03:15 PM
ooc:I dunno, I don't think he ever posted here, I think Team Nonpan is just two people.

planswalker
2010-06-08, 03:17 PM
oops, i just sent him one as well

Rizban
2010-06-08, 03:17 PM
Two is fine with me. It makes it easier to coordinate for sure...

planswalker
2010-06-08, 03:19 PM
mind if i give him 24 hours before we retcon him out of here? (possibly bring him in later if necessary)

Rizban
2010-06-08, 03:25 PM
Just assume that his character has decided he needs time to think about it. If the player comes back, then the character decided he wanted the job after all. If the player doesn't come back, then we'll assume his character sought work elsewhere and not worry about it.

planswalker
2010-06-08, 03:31 PM
The third stanger says, "Give me a while to think about this. I will contact you if i agree to these terms."

With that, he leaves.

Pirner accepts this with equanamity and says, "Very well. Speak to my secretary out front if you change your mind. As for you two, speak to her as well to learn my schedule. i am a very busy man and must get back to business."

Jallorn
2010-06-08, 03:38 PM
Hira bows slightly before heading to speak to the secretary. Showing (him/her?) the signed contract, Hira says, I need to see his schedule. Also, if it's possible I'd like to see floorplans of this building and any others he frequents.

planswalker
2010-06-08, 03:44 PM
give me a moment. i didn't quite expect things to move this fast. I'll get them to you shortly

The secretary complies with your request.

planswalker
2010-06-08, 07:01 PM
http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/3066/53856908.png (http://img714.imageshack.us/i/53856908.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)
"Here's a floorplan of the store; we don't keep a map of his house lying around. He usually starts each day in his home until 10:00 when he shows up here to see how the store is doing, will go into his office for several hours taking care of administrative stuff, go out to eat at one of the local inns for lunch, then spends the afternoon interviewing people and negotiating with colleagues. He will occasionally go out in the evening to see a display of performing arts, about once a week. He then spends the rest of his time quietly at home. At the end of every week, he does not come to the shop and instead spends the day at the temple to Urbanus where he meditates, prays, and talks with the local priest for some hours. He refuses to say what he discusses in there."

Jallorn
2010-06-08, 07:19 PM
You've been working for him for a while I take it, how much does he enjoy his privacy? I find the hardest part of the first stage of any protection job is finding the right balance between my client's safety and his privacy. Although with some of the richer clients the two aren't always mutually exclusive.

planswalker
2010-06-08, 07:29 PM
"This is his first time to feel that he needs personal protection. He is a very private man and you will likely have to negotiate with him to make sure he is safe. He is not unreasonable, and will likely accommodate you on reasonable demands."

Jallorn
2010-06-08, 07:30 PM
And what would you say he is willing to spend on personal protection? Beyond our salaries I mean.

planswalker
2010-06-08, 07:37 PM
"your salaries are his personal defense budget. he is new to the whole personal protection thing. you will have to negotiate with him if he is to spend more on it."

Jallorn
2010-06-08, 07:41 PM
Hira shakes his head, still gazing at the plans, I've got my work cut out for me. He looks up at the other man, Actually, that's we now, isn't it? I'm Hira by the way, and you are?

planswalker
2010-06-08, 11:51 PM
when one of y'all gets the chance, please make your way over to the city streets looking to find another bodyguard to help out. shadowleaf should volunteer.

Rizban
2010-06-09, 12:51 AM
Almahdi signs to Hira a moment before he finally realizes the man doesn't understand sign language. Finally, he points to Hira then to himself. He holds up two fingers and makes a slicing motion across his neck while shaking his head. He then holds up three fingers and smiles then points to the contract then the door.

planswalker
2010-06-09, 01:03 AM
"Yes, it would be good to have a third person. That way you could work in shifts." He beckons you to leave out the door and find someone.

Rizban
2010-06-09, 01:09 AM
Almahdi heads out onto The City Streets.

Rizban
2010-06-09, 01:28 AM
Almahdi returns after but a few minutes, proud of himself. He has fetched the warforged who was just sent away and is ready to accept him back into the group.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-09, 01:33 AM
(OOC: Sent away?)
Cannonball
The tall warforged heads inside. He has a red tint to his composite plates, and his eyes burn with a fiery red. His sleek face is locked in an expression of happiness and kindness.
A grey tunika covers his upper body, with a simple rope belt tied around his waist. A single bag hangs from it.
Across his bang hangs a large greatsword.
"Hello. I am called Cannonball. Who are you? Your friend does not say much."

planswalker
2010-06-09, 01:35 AM
(OOC: Sent away?)[/COLOR]

my old bodyguard was a warforged as well. rizban's character thinks that all 'forged look the same.

Rizban
2010-06-09, 01:37 AM
my old bodyguard was a warforged as well. rizban's character thinks that all 'forged look the same.

Glad someone caught that.

Jallorn
2010-06-09, 11:54 AM
Hira is quite clearly confused, Erm... No, he doesn't. But after a moment, he is back into mode, You look competent, could I interest you in a job? Even as he does this however, Hira is sizing up the 'forged, trying to tell what kind of man person he is.

OOC: obviously I'm not as suspicious of a PC, but Hira would want to be sure of his allies.
Sense Motive: [roll0]

planswalker
2010-06-09, 01:27 PM
"I'm afraid, my friend, that is my job to hire people for, not yours. However, i will let you add him to the contract if you think you can trust him." you hear pirner yell from his office.

Jallorn
2010-06-09, 01:28 PM
Wasn't hiring him, just asking if he was interested. Not sure yet though, need a little time to size him up.

planswalker
2010-06-09, 01:35 PM
Pirner returns to his work and leaves you to it.

Shoruke
2010-06-09, 06:22 PM
Two elves walk into Pirner Outfitters; both have scarlet hair. One seems to be wearing loose street clothes but has a sword at his waist; the other is dressed in a scholar's robe and has a stick slung about his back. ((Kaliche and Taranni, respectively))

"Excuse me," says the bookish one, "I heard that Mr. Pirner was hiring people in the personal protection business?" The other one lounges about, taking in the sights, and not wanting to openly state that he is looking for work as a contract killer, since doing so in public is less than prudent.

OOC: Apologies for being "late", The Watchman put Taranni in his own thread, forgot completely about Kaliche, and... just... bleh.

planswalker
2010-06-09, 06:44 PM
The secratary says, "Well, he currently has 3 protecters, but talk with them and see if they are willing to let you join them. Mr. Pirner is actually looking to have four guards if he can."

She turns to the other elf and asks, "What can i do for you, exactly?"

Shadowleaf
2010-06-09, 08:24 PM
Cannonball
The warforged looks at Hira. "Yes, yes I am looking for work. I am very good at keeping people safe. A protector, of sorts."

Shoruke
2010-06-09, 09:48 PM
Kaliche: "I'd heard that Mr. Pirner was also looking for people to, ah, cause other people to require bodyguards..."

Rizban
2010-06-09, 10:07 PM
((I thought you were playing a bodyguard?))

planswalker
2010-06-09, 10:09 PM
the secretary laughs for a little bit. "Direct, aren't you? The boss likes that, so long as you know how to be discreet when necessary. I believe he will see you now if you want."

btw, let's move your assassin to his own thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155599).

planswalker
2010-06-09, 10:24 PM
(( he has both. 2 elves walked in. one assassin, 1 bodyguard.))

Rizban
2010-06-09, 10:33 PM
((Ah, I missed that part. My bad.))

Jallorn
2010-06-09, 10:37 PM
After looking the elf up and down, and a slight look of distaste at the other one, Hira says, I have no present objections to either of these two joining us. Now, I need to go over the information I have and work out a few details. I think it would be wise if at least two of us were to guard Mr. Pirner at all times, starting now. the fourth can join me in planning if they would like. Finished with his instructions, Hira finds himself a seat before saying to the secretary, Oh, and would you inform Pirner that I advise him to turn his private room in this building into a safe bunker if he is unwilling to have his guards within it.

Rizban
2010-06-09, 10:38 PM
Almahdi points to office's the two large windows on the map with a scowl and clears his throat to gain everyone's attention.

Jallorn
2010-06-09, 10:40 PM
Hira sighs, Do you write at least? That would help.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-09, 10:41 PM
Cannonball
"If you don't mind, I would like to join you in planning.
I would like to learn it. If you don't mind, of course.."

Rizban
2010-06-09, 10:44 PM
Almahdi looks at Hira and smirks.

"No."

Jallorn
2010-06-09, 10:50 PM
The no, what does the italics signify?

It would be my pleasure. Our friend here has a point, the windows are a problem. We need to be sure to keep them in view at all times. I wonder if we couldn't find a recall device to teleport Pirner into the safe bunker I hope he'll agree to fund.

Rizban
2010-06-09, 10:53 PM
Nothing... I always italicize speech to set it apart...

Almahdi walks over to a barrel full of pig iron rods, picks one up in each hand, and walks back over to Hira. He hands them to him.

Jallorn
2010-06-09, 10:56 PM
The way I color it?

Thoroughly exasperated, Hira seems able to say only one thing to Almahdi, You can talk?

Rizban
2010-06-09, 10:59 PM
"No."

He points to the bars Hira is now holding then points at the windows on the map again, hoping the others get the idea.

Jallorn
2010-06-09, 11:01 PM
Finally deciding to let the matter drop for now, Hira says, I get the feeling Pirner will find them unsightly. Not to mention that we don't have the tools to sink them properly.

Rizban
2010-06-09, 11:06 PM
Playing a mute is kind of fun.

Almahdi points at the various racks of tools in the building.

Jallorn
2010-06-09, 11:09 PM
The definition of tools is broader than simply physical things. Do you know how to install those?

Shoruke
2010-06-10, 09:39 AM
Taranni: "If you don't mind me joining in on the planning... I think I might be able to insert bars into the windows through magic. I am a Transmuter, after all. However, if we're worried about people getting in (or out, I suppose), I can place some magic wards around all the entrance points. My magic would be much less visible, and much more effective."

Jallorn
2010-06-10, 12:13 PM
The problem with magic is that this is a store. However, if you avoid the main entrance that would be workable. And if we're all planning, who's going to guard our employer?

Shoruke
2010-06-10, 02:57 PM
Taranni gives an overly-dramatic stare. "I fail to see how this being a store- of any kind- makes magic impractical. If anything, any magical items Mr. Pirner has on display will mask the aura of any magical traps I put in place. If you're worried about the items themselves, you can rest assured any wards I place won't hit them."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-10, 10:58 PM
The problem with magic is that this is a store. However, if you avoid the main entrance that would be workable. And if we're all planning, who's going to guard our employer?
Cannonball
"I do not have much to say in the matter of.. Installing things. I can guard him."

Rizban
2010-06-11, 12:39 AM
Almahdi's pulls his hood down lower and holds it in place with his hand.

"Just have him hire someone to install the bars."

You aren't certain whether or not you saw his lips move.

Shoruke
2010-06-12, 09:56 PM
Taranni gives the note-quite-mute an aside glance. "Uhm... metal bars regardless, I'd like to begin outfitting the place with magical traps immediately. It's a little bit of a time-consuming process. By which I mean that it takes several hours. And I actually would like help with the planning, I always work better when I have someone to bounce ideas off of..."

Jallorn
2010-06-12, 10:07 PM
Cannonball, is it? Why don't you and I keep an eye on our employer and let these two deal with immediate defenses?

Rizban
2010-06-13, 01:43 AM
Almahdi pulls over the map of the store and begins to mark on the most likely areas of forced entry.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-13, 03:16 AM
Cannonball
Cannonball lets off a soft smile.
"It's Cannonball, and yes, let us do that."

Shoruke
2010-06-13, 01:21 PM
Taranni takes a quick look at the map. After a moment, he quizzically quircks an eyebrow. "Why does this man's office have four exits, two of which seem to lead outside?"

Jallorn
2010-06-13, 01:31 PM
They're windows.

planswalker
2010-06-13, 02:51 PM
As y'all are planning you hear a commotion outside. will you check it out? It seems to be coming from a couple of houses down.

planswalker
2010-06-13, 02:52 PM
it's not mandatory, it's just that one of my other pc's adventures brought him to a shop very near pirner's.

Rizban
2010-06-13, 02:53 PM
Almahdi motions for Hira to join him in checking out the commotion while Cannonball and Taranni mvoe to guard Pirner.

Almahdi then steps outside and looks towards the commotion.

planswalker
2010-06-13, 02:59 PM
several shops outside appear to have been vandalized, and one particularly close nearby you can hear banging and the occasional terrified scream. a human is standing just outside the shop, and the elf that Mr. Pirner just hired is standing some distance back, headed this way.

Rizban
2010-06-13, 03:03 PM
Almahdi darts over towards the shop with the screaming and looks through a window. He ignores the elf, knowing that to publicly acknowledge him could potentially blow his cover on his 'special assignments.'

Jallorn
2010-06-13, 03:04 PM
Cannonball, watch Pirner, Hira calls before going outside with Almahdi. There, he watches and waits, trident at the ready.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-13, 03:07 PM
Cannoball
"Uh, okay." Cannoball places himself in front of Pirner, greatsword in hand.

Just in case:
Cannonball assumes the Punishing Stance.
Maneuvers:
Moment of Perfect Mind
Wall of Blades
Emerald Razor
Rapid Wolf Strike

planswalker
2010-06-13, 03:13 PM
i think once i hear from Shoruke's assassin, i might just combine the various people together into a group thread for that one encounter.

Almahdi peeks through the window and sees the mithral warforged who mr pirner rejected beating up a corpse and a terrified woman in the corner about to pass out from fright.

Rizban
2010-06-13, 03:19 PM
Almahdi motions for Hira to join him and prepares to charge into the room to attack.
A slight popping sound can be heard followed by the whoosh of air directly in front of Almahdi.

Psicraft DC16 or Spellcraft DC21 to identify.

((Note that one can identify the other, albeit at a +5 to the DC. I'm not sure if i mentioned that was the rule we were going to be using or not.

Read the spoiler only if you identify the power being manifested.))
5 power points to manifest an augmented Force Screen for +5 shield AC.
Brings his AC up to 24, T13, FF21.

Jallorn
2010-06-13, 03:28 PM
Hira shakes his head, Not our job.

Rizban
2010-06-13, 03:31 PM
Almahdi motions harder, wanting Hira to at least look into the window to see what he has already seen.

"Your ally"

Shadowleaf
2010-06-13, 03:35 PM
Cannonball
Cannonball, without removing his eyes from the entrance to the room Pirner's in, says: "Sir, uhm.. Do you have any idea what is going on? And why your guards suddenly left you alone with me and that guy? I mean, for all they know we could have been spies or something."

Rizban
2010-06-13, 03:36 PM
Taranni is there too... Shoruke just isn't online.

If you ARE an assassin, then Taranni would keep you busy long enough for us to come back and crush you. :smallwink:

Jallorn
2010-06-13, 03:37 PM
Acquaintance, Hira answers, and I have obligations now.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-13, 03:38 PM
Leaping Dragon Stance, Power Attack the poor guy to death. :smallwink:
Planswalker just described me as the "only bodyguard to stay back."

planswalker
2010-06-13, 03:43 PM
well, no, not the only one. Shoruke's bodyguard will stay behind. and jallorn seems unwilling to do much about it.

planswalker
2010-06-13, 03:44 PM
Kanteis calls towards the elf and two humans:
"Would one or two of you mind assisting me? I am attempting to take out a psychotic war forged, and my back up sneaked out. I can manage to hold the beast in place, so its removal shall be quick. I am willing to pay a modest sum of 100 gold for help in this endeavor."

Shoruke
2010-06-13, 05:38 PM
((Don't suppose we can get a map of where roughly where everyone is? Or at least, a list of who's in what rooms... anyway, Taranni heads to wherever Mr. Pirner is.))

Jallorn
2010-06-13, 05:41 PM
Hira has also returned to Pirner's study.

planswalker
2010-06-13, 05:47 PM
for those who want to help (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8694425)

Shoruke
2010-06-13, 10:18 PM
((DM, do I need an Item Creation feat or something to outfit the building with magic traps? If so, I only took one flaw, perhaps I could take a second one to get the feat since Taranni hasn't done anything but roleplay yet?))

Rizban
2010-06-13, 11:19 PM
Creating a magic trap requires ranks in Craft (trapmaking), a skill check, and the ability to cast the spells required for the trap. You need no Item Crafting feat.

Shoruke
2010-06-13, 11:33 PM
Does anything special happen on a failed skill check?

Rizban
2010-06-13, 11:43 PM
Actually, magical traps DON'T require a skill check. Forgot about that.

Creating traps is detailed in the DMG, page 74.

Shoruke
2010-06-14, 12:17 AM
Ah, thank you for the reference. DM, I don't suppose I can add a flaw and the Craft Wondrous Item feat to Taranni's sheet at this point?

Rizban
2010-06-14, 12:42 AM
PM the sheet to me, and I'll look it over. I'll decide after I look at it.

Shoruke
2010-06-14, 08:17 PM
Isn't Planswalker the DM right now?

planswalker
2010-06-14, 08:19 PM
rizban and i both are dm's. either one of us can approve character sheets. i'm dming this thread because rizban has a character in it.

Rizban
2010-06-14, 10:41 PM
Isn't Planswalker the DM right now?

rizban and i both are dm's. either one of us can approve character sheets. i'm dming this thread because rizban has a character in it.

While true, I have far more experience with 'breaking the game' and finding balance with the content. Being the one with more experience, I am better at finding seemingly innocent things that lead to major problems later. So, it's generally been my job to approve the characters.

I've had a couple of requests/submissions for game breaking characters that I have denied. Generally, I approve things. If it looks realistic and mostly balanced, I'm likely to approve it.

My game breaking skills being mentioned, I find it reasonable to also mention that I am severely limiting myself on my own characters and limiting myself reasonably with my custom NPCs. At any given time, my main character is completely useless in battle. He'll be carrying no offensive magical items and only a masterwork dagger.

Jallorn
2010-06-14, 10:43 PM
While true, I have far more experience with 'breaking the game' and finding balance with the content. Being the one with more experience, I am better at finding seemingly innocent things that lead to major problems later. So, it's generally been my job to approve the characters.

I've had a couple of requests/submissions for game breaking characters that I have denied. Generally, I approve things. If it looks realistic and mostly balanced, I'm likely to approve it.

Can I play Pun-pun?

Rizban
2010-06-14, 10:47 PM
Can I play Pun-pun?

Yes. Unfortunately, Sarrukh don't exist in this world.
Feel free to try to make him though.

Shoruke
2010-06-14, 11:42 PM
Taranni heads to Mr. Pirner's office, in case the ruckus outside is simply a distraction for something generally more sinister.

Rizban
2010-06-15, 12:00 AM
Almahdi returns, a grin on his face and an over-sized mechanical fist slung under his arm.

"False... alarm."

He spends the next few hours with the rest of the group working out the details of how to protect Pirner.

Shoruke
2010-06-15, 01:39 PM
Without spending experience points (which I don't really have to spare right now), the only real trap spell I have is Illusory Script... which is pretty potent when it works, but the person has to actively try to read something.

planswalker
2010-06-16, 06:48 PM
Mr Pirner calls out from his office, "Are you finished going over my shop's plans yet?"

Rizban
2010-06-16, 10:51 PM
Almahdi nods.

"Need bars on windows in office and behind counter. Limit access."

Almahdi then points to the wooden door leading back into the private room.

"Buy stronger door for here. Iron or better.

Two guards with you all night.

Each morning at 10:00, two guards meet at home, all four walk here.

Two up all night rest in day. Other two stay here all day to guard. Go with for lunch.

At 6, leave here, all four guards."

Jallorn
2010-06-16, 11:11 PM
Actually, I would propose that we protect you at your home as well. and Cannonball has no need to rest, although he may have other things to do. Do you mind if we give you more guard time than the rest of us?

planswalker
2010-06-16, 11:13 PM
"I suppose, if i hire personal protection, i should expect them to get... personal in their protection. Very well, i will take your advisement under consideration."

Jallorn
2010-06-16, 11:17 PM
It might also be advisable to find some form of the spell Deathwatch, so that we may know if you are in danger any time that you are outside our sight.

planswalker
2010-06-16, 11:25 PM
"Very wise. Go forth and make it happen. I will cover the cost."

Rizban
2010-06-17, 12:29 AM
"Deathwatch charm. 3,000 gold. Limited range.

Status charm. 12,000 gold.

I know man, sell cheap items. Maybe ask him?"

Shadowleaf
2010-06-17, 01:48 AM
"I do not mind guarding. It is what I was made for. I used to guard my father day and night, he was so proud."

Shoruke
2010-06-17, 11:32 AM
"I think we should also have some way to communicate with each other at all times. It's easy enough to conceive of situations when it would be prudent for all four of us to be near you outside of our normal schedule.

Also... if you have any sensitive written documents that need protecting, I have a powerful spell that I can use to guard them. Anyone who would attempt to read them without knowing the password- naturally, only the two of us would know it- would basically be forced to follow a prerecorded command of my choosing. Presumably along the lines of 'put the book down, find Mr. Pirner, explain to him what you were doing, and lie flat on the ground until he tells you to do otherwise. And if you have any magic items whose aura you wish to disguise, I could take a look at them..."

I'm picking red as a text colour, can you tell?

planswalker
2010-06-17, 03:34 PM
Pirner says, "Well, it looks like at the cost of such things, the cheapest thing to do would simply be that the warforged here never leaves my side and y'all find some way to keep in touch."

"As to the offer to protect sensitive documents, can you do that without actually reading them yourself? It's not that i don't trust you, a bodyguard that i just hired today, but i am a prudent man, and secrets are best kept when they are known by as few as possible."

"As to putting bars in my windows, i want whatever you do to not obstruct the view to the inside of the shop. Those are sales devices as much as anything. Make whatever you do either invisible or unobtrusive. I also want to give my customers the feeling that this place is so secure that i don't even bother with visible protections. I do agree that upgrading the doors would make this place more secure, and i think i even know how to do it in an elegant style. leave that to me."

Jallorn
2010-06-17, 04:04 PM
I don't believe we would need bars on any but the windows in your office. I would like to take the afternoon and early evening shift. I enjoy my mornings and would be much appreciated if I could spend them as I choose.

OOC:Another reason to put me on that shift is my aura, I can give him an advantage in social situations.

planswalker
2010-06-17, 04:14 PM
"I will let the four of you negotiate this. all i care is that two people guard me at all times. as for bars in my office window, i am amenable to that."

Shoruke
2010-06-17, 04:28 PM
"I wouldn't have to read the document necessarily, but since the spell operates through writing, it would be preferable. Perhaps I could simply read and overwrite the title while you cover the rest of it? The writing will appear as gibberish to anyone else. Obviously, this implies that hiring me as a scribe to write certain documents for you would increase your potential security. Oh, also it requires 50 gold coins worth of special ink, and the spell will have to be renewed every few days."

planswalker
2010-06-17, 04:41 PM
"Well, i'm not sure i have any documents that are that sensitive."

Rizban
2010-06-17, 09:23 PM
"What about the deathwatch or status item concept? Perhaps a communication aspect could be added into that as well."

planswalker
2010-06-18, 06:36 AM
"I want to keep the price under 8,000, and i want it to be useful if i am going to pay for it."

Rizban
2010-06-18, 10:31 PM
"Won't know discount until ask. I know market price only. You want us to ask him about discount?"

planswalker
2010-06-18, 10:38 PM
"Please do find out."

Jallorn
2010-06-18, 10:39 PM
I'll go with you, I'll be back after lunch.

Rizban
2010-06-18, 11:11 PM
Almahdi leads the way to Cobbler's Crossing, walks around for a bit and fails to find that for which he seems to be searching. Eventually, he wanders over to The Maid and Mermaid and notices a particular posting.

He proceeds to Broad Chase, wandering down it until he discovers the shop, Punchinello's Charms and Incantations. He motions for Hira to follow him inside.

A short gentleman of only about five feet greets you.

"Welcome to my shop! What can I do for you fine gentlemen?"

Jallorn
2010-06-18, 11:15 PM
Hira looks pointedly at Almahdi and waits.

Rizban
2010-06-18, 11:33 PM
"We need charms for protecting.

One to know condition of patron, like deathwatch or status.
One to communicate with other guards."

Punchinello responds, "I can do the communication one, but the other escapes my skills...

On the other hand, what good does deathwatch or status do you? They don't tell you anything until your boss is already affected, possibly dead.

I can make an amulet which detects any hostility towards the wearer within thirty feet. This sense of danger can then be communicated to the wearer of a second amulet worn by a bodyguard over any distance. I could build into these amulets the ability to communicate telepathically as well with any one of the others or all at once."

Almahdi looks to Hira for guidance. He's not entirely sure what the best course of action would be.

Jallorn
2010-06-18, 11:36 PM
That would be most satisfactory. I want to be clear though, only one of those amulets should detect hostility. Now let's talk price.

Rizban
2010-06-18, 11:48 PM
Punchinello: "Let's see now..."

He pulls out an abacus, pen, and paper and proceeds to run a few calculations.

"How many guards did you want in this communication network? That can substantially affect the creation costs, you see."

Almahdi: "Four."

Punchinello: "Ah right... The 'parent' amulet, for lack of a better name, will contain the ability to sense direct threats within thirty feet and direct telepathic communication with the four other amulets... The final market price for such a trinket is 34,000 gold.

The 'child' amulets will contain a sensory linkage which will enable the guards to sense the danger associated with the 'parent' amulet as well as direct telepathic communication with the four other amulets and will have a final market price of... 24,000 gold each.

Ah, don't leave so quickly! I can give you a significant discount. It is my store policy! Let us see now. First, we shall drop out much of the labor costs, which is the primary reason magical items are so expensive, factor in the major material discounts I've worked out, and then we factor in the special New Customer Discount for your employer, who's name I didn't catch but don't care to know, and....

Ha! I can do the 'parent' amulet for 15,000 and the child amulets for 10,000 each. That's less than half price! You won't find a better deal anywhere.

If this is still beyond your price range, I can cut back on some of the features... though this is as basic as it gets with your given requirements."

Note that the given Market Prices are the real market prices you'd pay for the items if you bought them from an NPC vendor.

Jallorn
2010-06-18, 11:51 PM
We will speak with our boss.

Rizban
2010-06-18, 11:52 PM
Punchinello: "I hate to do it, but I can do the full package for 50,000 gold. That's an extra 5,000 off. I'd really rather not though, because that's barely breaking even for me, and I have to have money on which to live.

I also accept trade in on all used and cursed magical items.

Please also tell your boss that the majority of these funds will be subsumed by raw materials, and I am practically cutting my throat here to ensure a new and loyal customer. I always provide excellent service and maintenance on all my goods."

Rizban
2010-06-19, 12:02 AM
Almahdi and Hira return to Pirner with a full written note describing the items and associated cost.

planswalker
2010-06-19, 12:11 AM
"Hmm..." Pirner says. "I don't have that much cash to spend, but there are plenty of junk items that i can barter with him for. He is offering a steep discount, and i will take advantage of his offer without taking advantage of him. It's simply good business practice to not cheat a fellow member of the guild. That's what scabs are for. (you detect a hint of a joke in his voice at that) Tell him that i will give him 60,000 gold worth of junk items if he will meet with me so that i can see this enterprising new merchant for myself."

Rizban
2010-06-19, 12:18 AM
Almahdi takes the message, and Punchinello agrees to meet with Pirner, accompanying Almahdi back to Pirner's office.

planswalker
2010-06-19, 12:24 AM
Upon seeing the merchant, pirner says, "Mr. Punchinello, i presume? Very good. You are not unknown in this guild. your rather fast membership acceptance has made waves, not all of them bad. Now then, i wish to discuss this with you privately. Of course, you will forgive me if i keep one or two of my bodyguards with me. Prudence is something you can never overdo when you get to be of my level of talent."

Rizban
2010-06-19, 12:26 AM
"Always glad to meet another guild member, particularly one of such prestige. I have heard good things about you.

Shall we proceed to negotiations?

planswalker
2010-06-19, 12:28 AM
"Very well. You said that you are willing to accept barter with magic items in trade instead of cash. Why?"

Rizban
2010-06-19, 12:35 AM
Punchinello: "Because magical items, even cursed ones, can be cannibalized using techniques I have learned to greatly reduce the costs of manufacturing new items.

They can not offset the entire cost of the process, and I offer 70% of the market price on them in store credit. True that you can then only spend it with me, but this is still a greater return than one would receive selling them elsewhere."

planswalker
2010-06-19, 12:48 AM
"Very clever. I won't pry into your trade secret, of course. So then, let's talk business. Would three rings of air breathing, some cursed armor of loud moves (+1, -5 penalty to move silenly checks, chainmail) , a brooch of thought projection (allows others to sense wearer's thoughts as per sense thoughts spell), and a pair of daggers whose bane against dwarves enchantment only work in freezing temperatures be sufficient?"

Rizban
2010-06-19, 12:59 AM
Punchinello takes a closer look at the items.

[roll0]

planswalker
2010-06-19, 01:21 AM
crap. i'll have to get back with you later. i don't know the costs right offhand, and am too tired to look them up properly tonight. I'll have it to you tomorrow.

Rizban
2010-06-19, 02:33 AM
After conferring with planswalker via PM...

"The total value of these items is 65,854 gp. I'm afraid that with my 70% exchange rate for a trade in, that only comes to 46,097.80 gp. I'm afraid it's just not enough to cover my costs.

If you were to throw in an additional 10,000 gold, that would be sufficient."

Jallorn
2010-06-19, 02:36 AM
Last I checked, fifty thousand minus forty six thousand was only four thousand. Or have you increased your price?

Rizban
2010-06-19, 02:40 AM
"Fifty-five thousand was my initial price. I can go lower, but fifty thousand puts me right at breaking even. I'd like to be able to make a little bit of profit to eat on and use to repay part of my loan on my shop while I work to create these amulets. Starving to death in the middle of crafting or being kicked out on the street with no tools and my work in progress also being confiscated seem like rather poor choices to me."

Jallorn
2010-06-19, 02:42 AM
Then I will leave it up to my employer to haggle, or not, as he sees fit.

planswalker
2010-06-19, 02:47 AM
"I am a businessman and understand the hardships of starting out small with a loan over your head and trying to both pay for things and convince prospective buyers that you are better to deal with than an established employer. How about i throw in 8,000 gold and we call it the start of a business partnership? I understand that quality magical items are not cheap."

with the cost to create these items figured in, he would be getting 3,000 gp profit. if you feel that this is unfair bexcause this is a fellow pc and not some npc where the money just drains out of the player community, pm me and rizban and we'll hash it out until everyone feels this is fair.

Jallorn
2010-06-19, 02:55 AM
I feel that any disagreements should be arguable in character. If that's the economy maybe we should take up such jobs as well, rather than argue the fairness. Eh, I didn't argue my point too well, but you get my stand.

Rizban
2010-06-19, 02:57 AM
with the cost to create these items figured in, he would be getting 3,000 gp profit. if you feel that this is unfair bexcause this is a fellow pc and not some npc where the money just drains out of the player community, pm me and rizban and we'll hash it out until everyone feels this is fair.

Actually, if I were to sell all the magic items at 1/2 market value and keep the 8,000 gold, I would have 40,927gp. Crafting the items (including XP costs) is going to be fairly close to 50,000 right at 46,000 gp. I figure in the 70% exchange rate, because I convert some of the magic items to Craft Reserve to offset the XP costs and sell the rest to pay for the crafting.

Edit: On another note, I created this character specifically so that other players could get items like this cheap. All the profit I make from other players goes into helping the players or upgrading my shop, which gives me no real benefits. The only gold I spend on making my own character stronger is the gold he earns through assassination/bodyguard jobs he does.

planswalker
2010-06-19, 03:21 AM
I feel that any disagreements should be arguable in character. If that's the economy maybe we should take up such jobs as well, rather than argue the fairness. Eh, I didn't argue my point too well, but you get my stand.

well, it's not that i am opposed to ic arguments, it's just that pm's keep it from cluttering up the ic thread and disrupting the flow of the story.

Jallorn
2010-06-19, 03:25 AM
well, it's not that i am opposed to ic arguments, it's just that pm's keep it from cluttering up the ic thread and disrupting the flow of the story.

Oh, no, I meant that I was opposed to any argument based purely on OOC stuff. I mean, it's not like you're giving him 50000 extra gold, so I think that since it makes since in setting, we don't have a right to argue much OOC.

planswalker
2010-06-19, 03:34 AM
'k, back to the story, then

Pirner waits for punchinello's reply

Rizban
2010-06-19, 03:37 AM
"Eight thousand is a little tight, but I can do it for that and the items."

Rizban
2010-06-19, 03:48 AM
And in the end, all expenses considered, it Punchinello loses just over 1000 gold and just over 1800 experience. Yes, I still lost money and experience in the deal.

planswalker
2010-06-19, 04:01 AM
"You may not have earned much profit, but you have earned something more valuable: another friend in high places. Feel free to stop by any time. My door is always open to my business associates. Now then. how long should i expect it to take to make these items?"

Rizban
2010-06-19, 04:06 AM
"As soon as I can. I will work on nothing else until they are complete."

According to D&D rules, 130 days...

So... exactly at the speed of plot!

Jallorn
2010-06-19, 04:08 AM
Do you need them all together, or could you, say, finish the primary and one secondary and hand them over before completing the other secondaries?

Rizban
2010-06-19, 04:11 AM
"I had intended to start with the primary and deliver them as completed. I will need to 'attune' each new one to all the others for them to work as intended though, which means all existing amulets will need to be present each time I deliver a new one."

Jallorn
2010-06-19, 04:13 AM
I believe that is easy enough.

planswalker
2010-06-19, 04:18 AM
the speed of plot in this case is one of them per day.

Rizban
2010-06-19, 08:41 PM
Punchinello delivers the amulet to be worn by Pirner.

planswalker
2010-06-19, 08:59 PM
"Why, thank you." Pirner says. As he is going about his business that day, a troll kicks down the door of his shop and says, "Pay protection!"

where are each of you in this scenario? mr pirner is in his study. roll initiative.

Rizban
2010-06-19, 09:06 PM
Almahdi is standing behind the counter but outside of Pirner's office. On the map you made, he is outside the secretary's office one square to the right of the door, the door opens away from him.

[roll0]

Jallorn
2010-06-20, 12:50 AM
What time of day is it?

planswalker
2010-06-20, 12:51 AM
one hour before closing.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-20, 07:08 AM
Edit: Erh, guess Cannonball would be whereever Mr. Pirner told him to be - so probably near the front door.

[roll0]

planswalker
2010-06-20, 07:32 AM
... are we missing someone?

Shoruke
2010-06-20, 10:14 AM
Sorry, I have to sleep occasionally. It's a birth defect, had it all my life.

Initiative: [roll0]

Taranni would be in whichever room Mr. Pirner is in, generally standing quietly to the side unless he has a non-inanity to contribute.

Jallorn
2010-06-20, 02:26 PM
Hira would be standing within ten feet of Pirner then.

Jallorn
2010-06-20, 02:28 PM
Sorry, forgot to roll Init.

[roll0]

Active Auras
Motivate Charisma (not terribly useful here)
Resilient Troops
Senses
Presence

planswalker
2010-06-20, 04:45 PM
k, then. here is the battle map:
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/2822/75183710.png (http://img710.imageshack.us/i/75183710.png/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

and initiative is:
Almahdi: 30
cannonball: 13
Hira: 12
Taranni: 10
Pirner:9
Troll: 6

i decided that Pirner was checking inventory right before closing.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-20, 05:05 PM
Cannonball takes a step towards the large troll, quickly drawing his sword from his back and swinging it down a split second later.

This is pretty much regardless of what everyone else does.
5' step, draw sword, full attack.
Power Attacking for 6.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] This is wrong, forgot I wasn't charging. 24 total with Punishing Stance.
Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] This is wrong, forgot I wasn't charging. 26 total with Punishing Stance.

Initating Punishing Stance.
Use Wall of Blades maneuver.
AC 5 next round.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-20, 05:23 PM
Sorry, AC's 5. Forgot punishing stance.
[roll0] extra damage too.

Jallorn
2010-06-20, 05:24 PM
Hearing the crash, Hira grabs Pirner, and places him against the wall next to the door, then peeks out the door, drawing his shield.

Shoruke
2010-06-20, 06:54 PM
Anyone want a shot of Haste? I can cast it on two people at a time, but one person only gets half duration.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-20, 07:16 PM
How about your character selects someone? It's a combat situation, it's pretty hard to relay information without losing focus.

Shoruke
2010-06-20, 07:58 PM
Taranni slips through the door, and takes in the scene. "Cannonball! Get yourself some space, I'll enlarge you! Hira, you might want to hurry and get in there sharpish, too."

Taranni prepares an action to cast Enlarge Person on Cannonball as soon as he has enough space around him to avoid crushing the display shelves.

Jallorn
2010-06-20, 08:04 PM
Fine, but that means you need to keep an eye on Pirner in case the troll is just a distraction. Hira moves out the door, and leaps over the counter.

30 feet to the other side of the counter. I assume it's about waist level, maybe a little higher, and therefore easy enough to swing over.

Also taking a swift action to change one of my auras, trading presence for toughness.

Motivate Charisma:+4 to charisma checks and charisma based skill checks

Resilient Troops:+1 to all saves

Senses:+1 to all spot, listen, and initiative checks (forgot to apply this to mine)
Toughness: DR 1/magic

First two apply to all allies within 60 feet, second two to allies within 30 feet.

Rizban
2010-06-20, 09:46 PM
Whoa! My turn got skipped? What happened with that?

I would have totally smacked him around a bit to make him so much easier to hit. Oh well... Too late now, I guess...

What good is rolling a 30 for initiative if you don't get to go first? :smallfrown:

Jallorn
2010-06-20, 09:49 PM
None of the actions have been resolved yet, so if you post yours will likely be resolved first.

Rizban
2010-06-20, 10:00 PM
Ok then...

Almahdi leaps into action the instant the door is smashed. He activates two psionic powers, expending his focus then pauses to regain it.

Psicraft DC16 or Spellcraft DC21
Twined Synchronicity - Stygian Ray

Psicraft DC16 or Spellcraft DC21
Quickened Synchronicity - Stygian Ray

[roll0] DC20 to regain psionic focus...

The instant between when Cannonball begins to swing his sword and connects with the troll, three rays of light absorbing energy burst forth towards the troll.

Psicraft DC17 or Spellcraft DC22
Stygian Rays...

Attack Rolls
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

He should be flat-footed, right? I mean, it's not like he knew we were here ready to pounce on him....

Shoruke
2010-06-21, 12:52 AM
Pardon my French but JESUS CHRIST enough negative levels?

planswalker
2010-06-21, 01:04 AM
The first and third stygian ray fired strikes the creature, enfeebling it, though it still seems quite strong.

Cannonball's first blow does not manage to pierce the creature's thick hide. His second blow is turned by the creature's chain armor.

Hira easily leaps over the waist-high counter

The troll pulls out a battle-axe from behind its thickly matted furs on its back and swings at you, but his blow seems to have been enfeebled by the stygian rays and your armor turns the blow.

Jallorn
2010-06-21, 01:11 AM
Hira continues to move towards the troll, but before attacking, says, Hey ugly!

2 move actions to move 40 feet and give Cannonball flanking

Shadowleaf
2010-06-21, 06:36 AM
"Wait with your enlargement spell!"

Cannonball takes another powerful swing at the troll. His swing leaves him totally vurnable and completely offbalance. His sword is also positioned for striking - not defending.

Rapid Wolf Strike.
Power Attacking for 6.
Attack Roll: [roll0] (Forgot flanking bonus. That'd be 35 instead.)
Damage: [roll1]+6 from Power Attacking.

AC 1 next turn. :smallbiggrin:
If the troll swings at Cannonball (and hits), he counters with Wall of Blades. It specificly says I can choose to do it after I know the result of the attack.

Shoruke
2010-06-21, 09:51 AM
Why wait for Enlarge Person? It'd give you reach and more strength and everything.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-21, 10:03 AM
Because Cannonball is flanking. You can cast it - we can pay for a table.

Rizban
2010-06-23, 08:31 PM
The first and third stygian ray fired strikes the creature, enfeebling it, though it still seems quite strong.

Cannonball's first blow does not manage to pierce the creature's thick hide. His second blow is turned by the creature's chain armor.

Hira easily leaps over the waist-high counter

The troll pulls out a battle-axe from behind its thickly matted furs on its back and swings at you, but his blow seems to have been enfeebled by the stygian rays and your armor turns the blow.

Each negative level gives a creature a –1 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks; deals 5 points of damage; and gives a –1 penalty to effective levelDon't forget that gives him a -5 to all that stuff plus taking 25 damage. The penalties and the negative levels go away on my character's next turn, but the damage is not healed.

planswalker
2010-06-23, 09:01 PM
i haven't forgotten. i am actually waiting for you to post turn 2 actions. then i can resolve turn 2, post the results, then you start off turn 3.

Rizban
2010-06-23, 09:46 PM
Okay, I wasn't entirely sure where we were in the initiative order.

Almahdi takes a moment to regain his psionic focus, taking 10 since he's not threatened.

He expends that focus to manifest another power.

Psicraft DC16
Twinned Synchronicity - Stygian Ray.
Bet you didn't see that coming. He seems pretty big, so I figured I'd focus on trying to make sure his attacks don't hit.

He then uses a swift action to hustle, hurrying up another focusing attempt, again taking 10 and transferring the psionic focus to his psicrystal.

The instant Cannonball swings to attack, two more negative energy rays fly towards the troll.

Psicraft DC17
Two Stygian Rays... obviously
[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Seriously? That sucks.

planswalker
2010-06-23, 10:06 PM
cannonball's blade slices through the creature's thick skin and does some moderate damage to the troll's muscular tissues. However, his injuries seem to begin healing right in front of your eyes. The stygian rays seem to be weakening him, but he is still quite hearty.

the first of Ahlmadi's next two rays strikes the beast, weakening it still further.

Hira approaches the troll from the opposite side.

the troll, upon being assaulted by yet a third stygian ray, decides that the little morsel in the back can do things to him that HURTS!. he drops his axe and charges over to him,vaulting the counter like it doesn't exist and screaming ferally.

The troll is now right next to ahlmadi

not actually charging (obstructions in the way. also, AoO's for the people that were near it before it moved..

Rizban
2010-06-23, 10:12 PM
Almahdi defensively manifests dimension swap targeting Cannonball, and the two instantly swap locations. Cannonball now stands by the troll, and Almahdi stands where Cannonball once stood.

He bends down and picks up the troll's axe.

[roll0]

Jallorn
2010-06-23, 10:15 PM
AoO:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Shadowleaf
2010-06-24, 02:06 AM
Cannonball takes the strike.

AOO:
Power Attacking for 6.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

planswalker
2010-06-24, 02:10 AM
cannonball's 3rd turn now, he is right next to the troll still.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-25, 03:24 PM
Does Cannonball get enlarged? I'm assuming not.

Cannoball strikes the Troll twice, going for the kill.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

planswalker
2010-06-25, 03:38 PM
You slice into him deeply with two savage strokes. Somwhow, the best doesn't even seem to care.

Jallorn
2010-06-29, 12:31 AM
Hira moves towards the beast, throwing his trident as he does.

Move action to get 20 feet closer, then throwing the trident
attack:[roll0] not including distance penalties
damage:[roll1]

You never said if the AoOs hit.

Rizban
2010-06-29, 12:59 AM
Recreated the battle map locally and uploaded it to show the changes since the battle started.

http://www.mornproductions.com/images/AvB/PirnerBattle.png

Jallorn
2010-06-29, 01:02 AM
I was under the impression that the gray parts were the counter and that the box in the middle was a wall...

Rizban
2010-06-29, 01:04 AM
I was under the impression that the gray parts were the counter and that the box in the middle was a wall...

Other way around. The little brown bits are doors in the walls.

Jallorn
2010-06-29, 01:06 AM
So why use a different graphic?

Rizban
2010-06-29, 01:08 AM
I don't know. I just recreated it from what planswalker made initially. I used what he used.

planswalker
2010-06-29, 04:18 AM
sorry about the wall confusion. rizban is correct. I used a different color for the internal wall because they are only waist high and are dividers more than anything.

the troll has 21 ac, so hira's trident misses

Tarrani's turn

since i went ahead and told you the ac of the troll, just figure out if your attack hits or not based off of that ac. this should help us speed this up a bit. it's been dragging on for too long in my opinion, partly my fault and partly just the difficulty of coordinating when there are 5 people in different time zines.

Shoruke
2010-06-30, 12:01 PM
Between Hira and Almahdi, who would benefit most from a Haste spell?

Jallorn
2010-06-30, 12:05 PM
Probably Hira, I can't even get to the ogre for long. My auras should be helpful to everyone though.

Rizban
2010-06-30, 06:36 PM
Give it to Hira. Almahdi can manipulate his actions already and doesn't really need the haste spell at this point.

planswalker
2010-06-30, 06:40 PM
can't haste affect multiple targets?

Rizban
2010-06-30, 06:41 PM
That's right...

Hit both Hira and Almahdi with haste!

Shoruke
2010-07-01, 11:36 AM
Taranni slowly edges towards the counter. Once he's within fisticuffs range of it, he mutters something under his breath. His well-made but inconspicuous quarterstaff glows for a bit as it channels his magic, and suddenly Cannonball, Almahdi, and Hira all seem to be moving faster.

Haste spell; the primary target is Cannonball, who gets 5 rounds of haste. Using my Focus Caster class variant, I can hit Hira and Almahdi with the secondary transmutation, and they both get 2 rounds of Haste.

Just so nobody has to look it up, the effects of haste are:
-extra strike when using full attack
-+30' enhancement bonus to movement (affects jump checks)
-+1 to attack rolls, +1 dodge bonus to AC, and +1 reflex saves

planswalker
2010-07-01, 06:25 PM
actually, all three get the full 5 rounds, including you. haste effects 1 creature per level.

Pirner prudently waits in the storage area for y'all to deal with this.

The troll tears into cannonball with his fearsom e claws and a wicked bite.

One claw tears into his body and the bite peirces his body.

total damage: [roll0]

Rizban
2010-07-01, 07:16 PM
Almahdi manifests a power on the 10ft square in which the troll stands. The power is easily recognized because of the stinky grease now coating the floor.

Psicraft DC16
psionic grease, duh
DC16 Reflex or fall prone

planswalker
2010-07-01, 07:33 PM
he rather easily avoids slipping in the grease.

nat 20

Rizban
2010-07-01, 07:40 PM
Almahdi grumbles to himself while the others fight.

You didn't somehow get hold of my lucky d20 did you? I'll never forgive you if you're using that beast against us.

For those of you who don't know about it, my lucky d20 rolls 20 about every 3rd or 4th roll. The other rolls are almost exclusively 16 or higher. In two years of playing it, I've rolled 10 or less on it only about 10 times... unless you also count the nat 1s. It throws a natural 1 about every 20 to 30 throws to try to balance out the 20s.

Of course, I've sometimes let other people use it, but they couldn't seem to roll higher than a 3... so, you probably aren't using it against us.

planswalker
2010-07-01, 07:44 PM
nope, but one of my orange die seems to be favoring monsters today.

Shoruke
2010-07-02, 11:22 AM
You people are throwing actual dice for a PbP game?

This is blasphemy. This is madness! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitlegf1u3pozudh8?from=Main.ThisIsSPARTA)