PDA

View Full Version : (Kind-of Slightly) Amazing Gestalt Idea: Warlock/Scout

Defiant
2010-06-02, 01:29 PM
I don't know if I'm slow to this, but it just occurred to me...

But wouldn't a Warlock/Scout be pretty great in terms of action usage? Scout's move action grants good bonuses to damage and AC, while Warlock uses standard action for the invocations (such as eldritch blast).

Granted, this build suffers from MAD, and from the fact that the classes involved aren't the most powerful, but these two classes have remarkable synergy!

That is, of course, if you ignore the ability to blow action economy as a Factotum, or the ability to find overpowered feats (or items) that let you move and full attack.

Kaiyanwang
2010-06-02, 01:33 PM
I generally like warlock//skillmonkey gestalt, but I prefer Rogue//Warlock. Great if you like d6!

One question.. why MAD? Don't you need to pimp dex only?

Greenish
2010-06-02, 01:35 PM
the ability to find overpowered feats (or items) that let you move and full attack.Yeah, if you disable the better ways to qualify for skirmish damage, EB isn't that bad.

Fouredged Sword
2010-06-02, 01:36 PM
Go with the swift tracker spread for scout / ranger. Do something like one level of warlock / ranger then three levels of warlock / scout and then finish the rest of the way with warlock / ranger. This allows you to get full BAB, full skermish, full warlock, full favored enemy, and an animal compainion later.

Greenish
2010-06-02, 01:38 PM
Go with the swift hunter spread for scout / ranger.Fixed that for you.

DaDude9211
2010-06-02, 01:50 PM
Aye, this has been done a fair amount. Lots of people use Rogue instead because they like the extra D6s. Scout is better though IMO, at high levels you can use Dark Discorporation and get skirmish dice on all your swarm damage; it's tasty.

Lots of the scout abilities don't help you though since you fly and can become invisible. Instead, becoming a Swift Hunter can be good. You get improved BAB and HD, you don't lose much in way of skill points, and a good Fort save which Scout doesn't give you. Swift Hunter will let you crit and put skirmish damage on your Favored enemies to boot, even if they're undead or constructs or the like, which is nearly worth a feat in itself.

mabriss lethe
2010-06-02, 02:00 PM
As pointed out earlier, this gestalt shouldn't be terribly MAD. The warlock really doesn't *need* any stats. Yes, a good charisma is necessary for the invocations that require a save. You can function perfectly well as a warlock and choose no-save options.

If you're thinking scout, How would using the Shadowlock tricks feel to you? (effectively nab HiPS at first level)

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-02, 02:03 PM
Shadowlock? Getting the darkness invocation and grabbing At home in the deep (feat) from Drow of the Underdark? never hear that build being refered as shadowlock... hmm might try it in a glaivelock build or a shadowpouncing one (goes with the flavor )

Defiant
2010-06-02, 02:14 PM
Good point about the MAD... maybe it isn't so much, based on invocation selection.

Disclaimer: my opt-fu is weak (and mainly conceptual)

As for options for the scout, honestly, I don't really know much about the scout. Just a brief glance through the class for when I was DMing one in my last campaign (so that I could ensure that yes, skirmish damage qualifies just with a move action).

mabriss lethe
2010-06-02, 02:21 PM
Shadowlock? Getting the darkness invocation and grabbing At home in the deep (feat) from Drow of the Underdark? never hear that build being refered as shadowlock... hmm might try it in a glaivelock build or a shadowpouncing one (goes with the flavor )
yup. that's the one.

2xMachina
2010-06-02, 11:13 PM
Lvl 2, grab Devil's Sight invocation (see in magic darkness), and retrain the feat.

Maybe for Blend into Shadows.