PDA

View Full Version : Race: Leopardfolk (3.5)

WarKitty
2010-06-02, 02:36 PM
The larger version of Catfolk, these are based of the Leopard rather than the housecat.

* +2 Dex, -2 Wis
* Humanoid (Feline)
* Size: Medium
* Leopardfolk base land speed is 40 feet.
* Low-Light Vision (Ex): Catfolk can see twice as far as a human can in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions
* Natural Weapons: Claw 1d6
* +4 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, Balance, and Move Silently
* Cat Empathy (Su): Catfolk have an inborn talent in dealing with domestic cats, and will automatically succeed on all Handle Animal checks involving them. For non-domestic felines, they make a roll like normal but gain a +8 racial bonus.
* Automatic Languages: Feline and Common. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Orc, Gnome, Halfling. Catfolk find it useful to learn the languages of their friends and enemies, namely the five most common races.
* Favored Class: Rouge

Is this an ok non-LA class, and if not what should I cut to make it non-LA?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-02, 03:10 PM
Needs more fluff, should be a monstrous humanoid with LA +2 or 3.

WarKitty
2010-06-02, 03:28 PM
Needs more fluff, should be a monstrous humanoid with LA +2 or 3.

It's for a low-level campaign. LA +2 or +3 would make it unplayable.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-02, 03:32 PM
1 HD, LA +1 than.

Admiral Squish
2010-06-02, 03:34 PM
I would hardy call it that. It might be on par with dwarf, but definitely not worth LA in play terms.

hamishspence
2010-06-02, 03:37 PM
Aren't catfolk already based on leopards and other big cats?

Races of the Wild (page 92) says:

The most common catfolk have feline characteristics reminiscent of lions, including thick manes for the males. Other groups have the characteristic markings and appearance of leopards, tigers, or cheetahs.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-02, 03:39 PM
I would hardy call it that. It might be on par with dwarf, but definitely not worth LA in play terms.

No, I mean add hid dice and MAKE it LA +1.

hamishspence
2010-06-02, 03:41 PM
Hit dice tend to make a creature weak for its level, rather than strong.

A 5 HD humanoid with a LA of +1: is a 6th level character- yet as a rule, it will be much weaker than most 6th level characters.

WarKitty
2010-06-02, 03:54 PM
Aren't catfolk already based on leopards and other big cats?

Races of the Wild (page 92) says:

The most common catfolk have feline characteristics reminiscent of lions, including thick manes for the males. Other groups have the characteristic markings and appearance of leopards, tigers, or cheetahs.

Yeah they are. I want to be able to get the feel without having to deal with small size and Ranger favored class.

hamishspence
2010-06-02, 03:59 PM
Catfolk are medium sized already.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-02, 06:28 PM
The larger version of Catfolk, these are based of the Leopard rather than the housecat.

* +2 Dex, -2 Wis
* Humanoid (Feline)
* Low-Light Vision (Ex): Catfolk can see twice as far as a human can in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions
* +4 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, Balance, and Move Silently
* Cat Empathy (Su): Catfolk have an inborn talent in dealing with domestic cats, and will automatically succeed on all Handle Animal checks involving them. For non-domestic felines, they make a roll like normal but gain a +8 racial bonus.
* Automatic Languages: Feline and Common. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Orc, Gnome, Halfling. Catfolk find it useful to learn the languages of their friends and enemies, namely the five most common races.

Is this an ok non-LA class, and if not what should I cut to make it non-LA?

Cats are generally alert, replace -2 Wis with -2 Int.

PersonMan
2010-06-02, 07:08 PM
Cats are generally alert, replace -2 Wis with -2 Int.

Or just give them a +4 racial bonus to Spot/Listen. It'd end up as +3 after -2 Wisdom, so it should work.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-02, 07:57 PM
New, improved Leopardfolk:

+2 Dex, +2 Str, -2 Wis, -2 Int
Leopardfolk are strong and agile but prefer physical action to problem solving.
* Humanoid (Feline)
* Low-Light Vision (Ex): Leopardfolk can see twice as far as a human can in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions
* +2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, Balance, and Move Silently; +4 racial bonus on Listen and Spot.
* Automatic Languages: Feline and Common. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Orc, Gnome, Halfling. Leopardfolk find it useful to learn the languages of their friends and enemies, namely the five most common races.
* Favored Class: Rogue.

DracoDei
2010-06-02, 08:29 PM
Newcomers to this thread would probably be better served if you edited the original post instead of doing version 2.0 in a separate post.

WarKitty
2010-06-02, 09:02 PM
Newcomers to this thread would probably be better served if you edited the original post instead of doing version 2.0 in a separate post.

Umm...the 2.0 version wasn't done by the original poster.

DracoDei
2010-06-02, 09:08 PM
Umm...the 2.0 version wasn't done by the original poster.

Oh... that would explain it... *sweat-drop*.

Temotei
2010-06-02, 09:09 PM

Please change that.

WarKitty
2010-06-02, 09:20 PM
Please change that.

Ummm...suggestions are welcome, but could you be a little more specific please? The original catfolk had ranger as their favored class, but I'd rather not replicate that as ranger is the one class I really don't like.

Edit: I was thinking of them as a sort of sneak-up-and-stab race. Hence Rogue as favored class.

Touchy
2010-06-02, 09:22 PM
Scout seems like a pretty good favored class.

WarKitty
2010-06-02, 09:24 PM
Scout seems like a pretty good favored class.

Huh? I don't have a lot of these books. We're restricted to SRD classes.

Touchy
2010-06-02, 09:26 PM
New, improved Leopardfolk:

* Humanoid (Feline)
* Low-Light Vision (Ex): Leopardfolk can see twice as far as a human can in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions
* +2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, Balance, and Move Silently; +4 racial bonus on Listen and Spot.
* Automatic Languages: Feline and Common. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Orc, Gnome, Halfling. Leopardfolk find it useful to learn the languages of their friends and enemies, namely the five most common races.
* Favored Class: Rogue.
I'm going to ask why you insist on changing the OPs concept.

Why do you insist on changing the OP's concept?

Huh? I don't have a lot of these books. We're restricted to SRD classes.
Then ranger is better, but I don't see you wanting to have ranger as a favored class, possibly barbarian?

Temotei
2010-06-02, 09:29 PM
Ummm...suggestions are welcome, but could you be a little more specific please? The original catfolk had ranger as their favored class, but I'd rather not replicate that as ranger is the one class I really don't like.

Edit: I was thinking of them as a sort of sneak-up-and-stab race. Hence Rouge as favored class.

Yeah...it's rogue. Not "rouge (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0711.html)."

WarKitty
2010-06-02, 09:30 PM
Then ranger is better, but I don't see you wanting to have ranger as a favored class, possibly barbarian?

Fighter maybe? I actually don't like favored classes to begin with (yet another way to penalize non-humans), but might as well...

WarKitty
2010-06-02, 09:32 PM
Yeah...it's rogue. Not "rouge (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0711.html)."

Fixed it. :smallbiggrin: You didn't see anything, move along.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-02, 09:32 PM
2.5 version, now with LA +1:

* Humanoid (Feline)
* Leopardfolk base land speed is 40 feet, Leopardfolk also have a climb speed of 20 feet.
* Natural Weapons: 2 claws and bite (1d8 each).
* +4 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, Balance, Move Silently, Listen and Spot.
* Cat Empathy (Su): Leopardfolk have an inborn talent in dealing with domestic cats, and will automatically succeed on all Handle Animal checks involving them. For non-domestic felines, they make a roll like normal but gain a +8 racial bonus.
* Favored Class: Barbarian.
* Level Adjustment: +1

PersonMan
2010-06-02, 09:37 PM
For Natural Attacks, you should put "Two Claws 1d8 and Bite 1d8", although the damage would be more like Claw 1d4, Bite 1d6, but whatever.

I'm also curios on why you're changing the OP's concept on this race and modifying it so much.

Temotei
2010-06-02, 09:43 PM
Fixed it. :smallbiggrin: You didn't see anything, move along.

Hehe. Good. Good. :smallcool:

Cookiemobsta
2010-06-02, 10:50 PM
They should have a very high spot.

But once they make their character, they shouldn't be able to change their spot.

(You know what they say about leopards)

SlyGuyMcFly
2010-06-03, 06:09 AM
The OP race seems ok to me, although I'm no expert on race balance. Two points though:

I presume that you meant to give them two 1d6 claw attacks? As is, I think they'd only get the one, which is a bit wierd.

Additionally, you realize that the 40ft base speed means they have an effective jump bonus of +8, before adding ability mods, ranks or buffs? It's not really that powerful, but I thought I'd mention it.

In any case, I doubt it warrants LA. Natural attacks are nice, but the race doesn't really have anything else that great going for it.

Rithaniel
2010-06-03, 06:29 AM
@Josha -- You realize what you are doing is exceedingly rude, right? Also, your LA +1 version isn't even worth a racial HD.

@WarKitty -- I like the race, makes for an interesting character. Other than the confusion in the 'claw' line that Even Human pointed out, it should be good to use.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-03, 09:16 AM
@Josha -- You realize what you are doing is exceedingly rude, right? Also, your LA +1 version isn't even worth a racial HD.

Just tryin' to help. :smallfrown:

PersonMan
2010-06-04, 10:23 AM
Even if it isn't considered "worth it", wouldn't a single RHD just be traded in for your first class level?

Rithaniel
2010-06-04, 11:39 AM
In that case just make suggestions for changes, don't go ahead and make changes then re-post it, dude.

Also, as for the RHD thing: touché.

--It wouldn't be worth a RHD that doesn't go away with your first level--*