PDA

View Full Version : Creatures of Supernatural: Shapechangers

LOTRfan
2010-06-02, 04:13 PM
Hi. I've been creating monsters from "Supernatural" for fun, lately, and I'm posting them here (Specifically, the Shapeshifter Genus). Just a few differences from regular D&D 3.5: These creatures use the vitality/wound point system; Armor Class has been replaced with Defense for fluff reasons, but it is the same; Each creature now has a weakness. The weakness system is a relatively simple one: Any weapon can cause vitality point loss, but only the weapon specified in the weakness section can cause wound point damage.

For anyone who is interested, Shapeshifters are a bunch of species that seem to somehow be related. Common characteristics they all share (unless otherwise stated) is the fact that their true form's reflection are revealed if they stand in front of a reflective surface (most commonly a mirror), their infiltration of humanity, and their general need to prey upon them.

Changeling
Changeling
Small Monstrous Humanoid (Shapeshifter)
Vitality/Wound Points: 1d8 (4)/8
Initiative: +4
Speed: 20 ft.
Defense: 16 (+1 Dodge +4 Dex +1 size), Touch 16, Flat footed 11
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft. .
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-3
Attack: Unarmed Strike +1 melee (1d4 nonlethal damage
Full Attack: Unarmed Strike +1 melee (1d4 nonlethal damage)
Special Attacks: Blood Drain
Special Qualities: Minor Shapechange
Saves: Fort -2, Ref +8, Will +1
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 17, Con 8, Int 12, Wis 9, Cha 18
Feats: Dodge
Skills: Disguise +10, Bluff +8, Move Silently +4, Move Silently +4, Hide +4
Environment: Any Urban
Organization: Family (3-9 Changelings plus 1 Mother Changeling)
Combat Rating: 1
Weakness: Fire
Advancement: 2-4 HD (Small)
Level Adjustment: -----

Mother Changeling
Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Shapeshifter)
Vitality/Wound Points: 5d8 (20)/10
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft.
Defense: 16 (+1 Dodge +2 Natural +3 Dex), Touch 13, flat footed 12
Space/Reach: 5 ft./ 5ft.
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+7
Attack: Unnamed Strike +7 melee (1d4+2 nonlethal damage), or knife +7 melee (1d4+2 damage)
Full Attack: Unarmed Strike +7 melee (1d4+2 nonlethal damage) and knife +7 melee (1d4+2
Special Attacks: Blood Drain
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +3
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 9, Cha 18
Feats: Dodge, Deceitful
Skills: Disguise +4, Bluff +4, Hide +4, Forgery +2,
Organization: Family (3-9 Changelings plus 1 Mother Changeling)
Combat Rating: 2
Weakness: Fire
Advancement: 6-10 HD (Medium)

Changelings are a race of Shapeshifters that are found all throughout the world. They are found in various legends throughout the world, spawned by their hunting patterns, such as the Tiyanak of Philippine mythology. Changelings hunt in groups of family units, each lead by a “mother” Changeling. Changelings are hermaphrodites, and can thus assume either male or female form. Changelings in their natural form have pale, slimy skin, hallow eye sockets, and a long round mouth with many teeth. Changelings prey upon mothers,, by kidnapping their children and taking their form. The children are kept alive for the Mother Changeling to feed off of. Changelings require the synovial fluids of humans to survive. The small changelings attempt to divide the mothers away from other loved ones, usually by framing them for crimes or murdering them. After several days of drinking their synovial fluid (which also rains massive amount of blood), the mothers die. Changelings share a psychological link with their Mother, and if she dies they all burst into flames. Like all shapeshifters, Changelings can be seen in their true form if viewed from a mirror.

Combat
Changelings prefer to not directly enter combat, preferring to slowly eat unwitting victims instead. When forced into combat, they converge and attack in a swarm. Changelings are only vulnerable to fire.

Fluid Drain (Ex): When a Changeling grapples an opponent, they may use their Fluid Drain special ability. They suck synovial fluid from their victims, dealing 1 constitution drain. When an opponent’s constitution drops to 0, they die. Changelings prefer to attack when their targets are asleep, so they automatically win grapple checks. Mother Changelings cause 2 constitution drain.

Minor Shapechange (Su): Changelings can take the form of any Human child, granting them a +10 bonus on disguise. Mother Changelings can take the form of any adult, granting them a +15 bonus.

http://www.supernaturalwiki.com/images/e/e9/Changeling.jpg

LOTRfan
2010-06-02, 04:15 PM
Skinchanger, 1st Level Commoner
Medium Humanoid (Human, Shapeshifter)
Vitality/Wound: 1d4 (2)/14
Defense: 12 (+2 natural armor), touch 10, flat footed 12
Initiative: +0
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/+0
Attack: Knife +0 melee (1d4 damage), or automatic pistol +0 ranged (2d4 damage)
Full Attack: Knife +0 melee (1d4 damage), or automatic pistol +0 ranged (2d4 damage)
Special Attacks: ----
Special Qualities: Shred the Skin, Mind Reader
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +0, Will +0
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 6
Feats: Blind Fight
Skills: Disguise +3, Intimidate +3*, Sense Motive +4
Combat Rating: ½
Organization: Solitary
Weakness: Silver
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +1

Skinchangers are very unique creatures, as they are just humans with a few genetic and supernatural differences. At first, they appear as any normal human, until they reach puberty. At that point, they molt violently and are left a skinless humanoid. Although the skin grows back in a few days, they are usually renounced by parents and other loved ones. They are alone in the world, almost never able to maintain long-term relationships of any kind. Skinchangers are lonely creatures, and generally become bitter with hatred for humanity. Many turn to a life of crime to survive, or leave society completely. These individuals are generally highly dangerous. As a result, Hunters tend to kill Skinchangers whenever found. Skinchangers are found in various legends, usually in tales of horror and disgust. Skinchangers are immune to most forms of attacks, though they still hurt the creature. Only silver can kill a Skinchanger. Unlike other shapeshifters, a Skinchanger has no natural form, and thus appears to be what it looks like at the moment when seen in a mirror. Skinchangers are easily identifiable through something else, however. When viewed from a camera or in a video, there is a retinal flare that makes the Skinchanger’s eyes appear to be yellow.

Combat
Skinchangers disdain actual combat, and prefer to bind and murder unwitting victims to actually participating in a fair fight. When forced into a fair fight, their high constitution and ability to handle a lot of main is their most handy quality.

Shred the Skin (Su): Skinchangers are different from other shapeshifters in the way they shapeshift. Instead of just altering himself into others, he physically becomes them by regrowing his exterior to perfectly match them. This requires him to reconstruct his own skeletal structure, rip out his own teeth, have his figure nails fall off, and, of course, the molting of his skin. This causes 1d8 wound point damage, which heals at a rate of 1 point per hour. Skinchangers have a +8 bonus to disguise checks. Skinchangers can be killed if reduced to 0 wound points by changing.

Mind Reader (Su): Skinchangers can read the minds of those they have killed by touching the temples of those they have killed. They must succeed on an empathy check (sense motive check, DC 10+ victim’s wisdom modifier). This, combined with the Shred the Skin special ability, makes it nearly impossible to determine whether the Skinchanger is actually the person it is pretending to be or not, even by close friends and family (Sense motive check is necessary, DC 10+ skinchanger’s disguise check result).

*A Skinchanger has a +4 bonus to intimidation checks.

http://www.supernaturalwiki.com/images/a/ad/Skintwo.jpg

LOTRfan
2010-06-02, 04:16 PM
Its been a while since I've seen this episode, so forgive me if it is a little off (and, please explain why its a little off, if you can). Not sure if I should spoil put it in a spoiler because of how it charms targets.

Siren
Vitality/Wound: 3d8 (12)/8
Defense: 12 (+2 Dex), touch 12, flat footed 10
Initiative: +2
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+2
Attack: Unarmed Strike +2 melee (1d4-1 nonlethal damage)
Full Attack: Unarmed Strike +2 melee (1d4-1 nonlethal damage)
Special Attacks: -----
Special Qualities: Charm, Alter Form, Mind Reading
Saves: Fort -1, Ref +6, Will +6
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 14, Con 8, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 18
Feats: Lightning Reflexes
Skills: Disguise +10, Bluff +10, Diplomacy +10, Spot +6
Combat Rating: 2
Organization: Solitary, or group (1-2 charmed human mates)
Weakness: Oxytocin
Advancement: 4-6 HD (Medium)

Sirens are shapeshifters that were first categorized by the Ancient Greeks. Sirens get a form of high from convincing humans to do their business. Unlike the Sirens of Greek myth, they do not kill the people they seduce. Rather, they force them to do their bidding, which usually involves sending them to kill all their loved ones except the Siren. Sirens can take male or female form. When on the hunt for people to charm, they probe the minds of passersby and take on the form of their ideal mate. They transfer oxytocin into their victims through bodily fluids (usually transferred during the mating process, but even spitting into a targets mouth would suffice). Usually, after their high is done, they abandon their victims to whatever fate awaits them. Sirens appear in their natural for to be wrinkly, gray skinned humanoids. They have pointed ears, and have no mouths. They always take the form of an attractive human. Sirens can only be killed if stabbed with oxytocin. As a result, soaking a weapon in a Siren’s victim’s blood (which is rich with oxytocin) makes the weapon sufficient enough to kill a Siren.

Combat
Sirens almost never go into combat, preferring to let their mates do it for them. When forced into combat, they use hand to hand combat.

Alter Form (Su): Sirens can change their appearance to match that of the ideal male or female form. While in this form, Sirens get a +10 bonus to disguise and a +4 bonus to bluff checks.

Mind Reading (Su): Sirens can read the minds of passersby, finding their desires. They receive an addition +2 bonus to all charisma-based checks.

Charm (Ex): Unlike common belief, the Siren’s ability to charm is derived from the release of oxytocin, as opposed to a supernatural effect. The transfer of oxytocin from the Siren is caused by the transfer of fluids, usually occurring during reproduction, though merely sharing the same cup of beer is sufficient enough to transfer the required oxytocin. The person who the hormone is transferred to must make a Will save (DC 10 +Siren’s diplomacy check), or become its willing thrall.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a170/RhymePhile/Extra%20stuff/Supernatural%20ephemera/gimmesmoochSiren.jpg

LOTRfan
2010-06-02, 04:17 PM
Wraith
Vitality/Wound: 10d8 (40)/12
Initiative: +5
Defense: 12 (+1 Dodge +1 Dex), touch 12, flat footed 10
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+12
Attack: Slam +12 melee (1d6+2 damage)
Full Attack: 2 slams +12 melee (1d6+2 damage) and wrist-claw +5 melee (1d4 damage)
Special Attacks: Forced Insanity, Consume Brain
Saves Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +5
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 7, Cha 14
Skills: Disguise +7, Spot +5, Forgery +2
Feats: Deceitful, Alert, Improved Initiative, Great Fortitude
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 5
Weakness: Silver
Advancement: 11-20 HD (Medium)

At the insane asylum's front desk, a nurse is talking to a patient. As she passes a mirror, you could swear you saw a hideous beast...

Wraiths are filthy monstrous humanoids that crack open human skulls to get their brain juice. Originally found in Scotland, these creatures spread far and wide as travel became easier and easier. They resemble undead, but they are actually more closely related to Skinchangers. Wraiths share an aversion to silver. Like other shapeshifters, a Wraith's true form is revealed in a mirror. Wraiths love dopamine, a liquid chemical that can be found inside human brains. Wraiths can touch their victims to cause their dopamine levels to rise, and this stimulates insanity. After they allow the levels to rise as far as they will, they use their wrist-claws to dig into their victims skull, liquefy the brain and consume it.

Combat
Wraiths only enter combat when they are about to feed. They tend to grapple their already weakened victims and drain them.

Forced Insanity (Ex): By making a touch attack on its victim, a Wraith may amplify a human's production of dopamine to cause imbalances in the brain. This manifests as either persistent image (that only the person affected can see), insanity, or nightmare. Caster level 5th.

Minor Shapechange (Su): Wraiths change their forms into humans to get close to their victims. While in human form, a Wraith gets a +10 bonus to disguise and a +4 bonus to diplomacy.

Brain Consumption (Ex): To use this ability, a Wraith must be grappling a human. The first round after a grapple starts, a Wraith may extend its wrist claw up to the neck and into the skull of its victim, causing 2d6 piercing damage. Every round after that, the Wraith drains the victim 1d4 Wisdom drain. For every point of wisdom drained, the Wraith gains 5 temporary hit points. When the victim reaches a Wisdom score of zero, he/she is dead.

http://watchtvonlinestreaming.com/wp-content/themes/EB-1/images//supernatural-s05e11-sam-interrupted-wraith.jpg

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-02, 04:33 PM
I do so love that show... statted a few fellas from it myself if interested:

Angel, Hisromam (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4982178&postcount=2)
Genie, Fikri (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43141)

The_Admiral
2010-06-02, 04:46 PM
Where is the hunter class?

LOTRfan
2010-06-02, 06:10 PM
I added the Skinchanger (referred to as Shapeshifter in the show, but Skinchanger is used to differentiate from the other shapeshifters in the show.

@The Vorpal Tribble: Those creatures are great, I especially love the Genie.
@ CannonAlchemist: That would be a challenge. The hunters on the show are so diverse, it would be hard to to standardize it into a single class (although I guess it could be explained that they are multiclass characters...). Now that you mention it, that could be a fun challenge. That might be next on the list.....

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-02, 09:03 PM
The hunters on the show are so diverse, it would be hard to to standardize it into a single class (although I guess it could be explained that they are multiclass characters...). Now that you mention it, that could be a fun challenge. That might be next on the list.....
*grins*

I also made an attempt at statting up Dean Winchester (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2920780&postcount=3)

Mulletmanalive
2010-06-03, 03:43 AM
I've already made a Hunter class that covers most of the differences. Anything beyond the class' admittedly slightly bland scope can be covered with multiclassing. Can post it if desired.

I wouldn't have put these monsters together. The Shapeshifters [were there two or three?] were specifically stated to have been born "human" before their mutation became evident.

The Siren, Changeling, Wraith and possibly the Crocotta [Long Distance Call, S3, E14] all seem to be a distinct species or genus. The first two don't even seem to be shapechangers so much as some kind of sympathetic illusionists, given the way that they are visible in mirrors.

The_Admiral
2010-06-03, 04:55 AM
I've already made a Hunter class that covers most of the differences. Anything beyond the class' admittedly slightly bland scope can be covered with multiclassing. Can post it if desired.

I wouldn't have put these monsters together. The Shapeshifters [were there two or three?] were specifically stated to have been born "human" before their mutation became evident.

The Siren, Changeling, Wraith and possibly the Crocotta [Long Distance Call, S3, E14] all seem to be a distinct species or genus. The first two don't even seem to be shapechangers so much as some kind of sympathetic illusionists, given the way that they are visible in mirrors.

Please post your hunter
I am begging you please

Mulletmanalive
2010-06-03, 05:45 AM
Will post it on the front page when i get the chance then. Note that it was made for a non-standard system so you may want to tinker with it a little...I've been taking a "screw you" attitude to RAW and "normal" play for so long i just can't see where i've changed stuff anymore.

[B]Edit: Here you go, Hunter from Supernatural!

LOTRfan
2010-06-03, 10:24 AM
Well, I put them together because of their ability to shapeshift. While I agree that Skinchangers are not related (that's why them are listed as humanoids with the human subtype rather than monstrous humanoid). I listed Changelings, Sirens, and Wraiths as related (even distantly) just because of their special abilities, and the mirror thing.

I did not include Crocottas, because they are goig to be included with Rakshasas, Angels (and variants), Demons (and variants), and Croats as an Outsider (with the native subtype). I think it is stated in the episode that Crocottas can only imitate the voice, not the form, of people.

LOTRfan
2010-06-13, 03:46 PM
Sorry to double post, but I just added the Siren. Sorry it took so long to post.