PDA

View Full Version : Help understanding monster class progression

myzeritotec
2010-06-02, 05:21 PM
So here's the deal. I'm playin a small campaign as a Level 5 Illithid. I'm flipping through the Savage Species book and come across Illithid Savant. Now I understand that I can't take this until my progression is complete, but I want to know how full progression is calculated as I can't find anything in the book that tells me that. (Unless that's what those tables in the back are, in which case I'll put on my stupid hat and go dance on the balcony) I'm planning on the bulk of my characters being creatures so knowing little things like this'd be helpful. Thanks in advance.

...Well that and people in the party NOT screaming their heads off about me taking prestige classes at Level 6, even though that's not what I was asking about but hey, what can ya do?

mabriss lethe
2010-06-02, 05:35 PM
This might take a lot of the legwork from it.

http://www.pathguy.com/monsters.htm It's a savage species character generator.

EDIT: Illithid is a long progression, since you have a lot of powers and a Lot of RHD to eat.

Devils_Advocate
2010-06-03, 03:31 PM
Savage Species explains monster classes in Chapter 3: Monster Classes (p. 25). Who'da thunk, right? :smalltongue: The Mind Flayer monster class is presented on pp. 185 and 186.

Basically, a monster class works much like a normal class, except that some "levels" increase your character's Level Adjustment instead of its Hit Dice. "Hit Dice", in this context, are game-mechanical thingies that grant not only hit points, but also BAB, base saving throws, skill points, max skill ranks, and feats gained from leveling. They also determine how hit-dice-based effects (like several spells) impact your character.

By extension, then, the even levels of the Mind Flayer monster class do not grant all of those fun things (mostly the features of the Aberration type (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#aberrationType)). So a "fifth-level Illithid", for example, actually only has a Character Level of 3, plus a Level Adjustment of 2 (for a total Effective Character Level of 5). For purposes unrelated to XP and gaining levels, it is a level 3 character. It just also has two non-levels that serve as a handicap intended to balance out powerful races. It has, of course, everything from the first five "levels" of the Mind Flayer class.

In short, some of the terminology here is confusing, because some of the "levels" of the monster class aren't actually levels (of Aberration, in this case, as it happens), but instead non-levels. Sort of like how koala bears aren't actually bears. Does that clarify things?

Edit: Monster classes include and/or override the "extras" gained from leveling up, so it's a simple matter of just adding the stuff from the monster class to your character until you finish the progression. The Mind Flayer class lists the feats normally gained at 1st, 3rd, 6th, etc. character level, and you don't get extra ability score increases every 4th character level until after you've finished the progression.

KillianHawkeye
2010-06-03, 03:36 PM
When you finish the Mind Flayer monster class, you become a full-fledged Mind Flayer like the one from the Monster Manual. Once you reach this point, you are now able to begin multiclassing.