PDA

View Full Version : breaking Illithid savant...even more than before.

mabriss lethe
2010-06-02, 05:58 PM
Does anyone know if using the spell 'spark of life' from Spell Compendium would allow an Illithid Savant to gain abilities from undead creatures targeted by the spell?

Using the glorious power of pseudologic, It would stand that since the spell effectively makes them living, breathing, sleeping creatures for its duration, then the spell would also make them vulnerable to a hungry illithid.

I'm thinking the answer is either "Oh God No." or "up to the DM.(see previous response)"

*note* this is a thought exercise only. No sane DM would ever let this class exist as something that players could get their tentacles on.

Private-Prinny
2010-06-02, 06:06 PM
There are two problems with that.

1. The undead in question has to actually have a brain. These being undead, that may not be likely.
2. You could easily rule that the Savant in question loses all of the undead goodies when Spark of Life wears off.

mabriss lethe
2010-06-02, 06:24 PM
The spell seems to regrow organs, at least lungs. since it forces the undead targeted to breathe. Brains wouldn't be too far out of the loop for that, then.

It should also be noted that the spell isn't limited to corporeal undead, and that just gets wonky.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-02, 07:34 PM
Guess it could be useful if you can get your handstenticles on an Lich... or maybe a death Knight... or any sapient undead with useful abilities... entropic reaper?

SaintRidley
2010-06-02, 10:39 PM
Dry Lich. Unholy Toughness.

Vampire. Level Drain.

Optimystik
2010-06-02, 10:44 PM
Dry Lich. Unholy Toughness.

Vampire. Level Drain.

Not sure a Dry Lich would have a brain to eat, what with the organs being in the jars and all.

Private-Prinny
2010-06-02, 10:46 PM
Not sure a Dry Lich would have a brain to eat, what with the organs being in the jars and all.

The brain is an organ, is it not?

SaintRidley
2010-06-02, 10:55 PM

First undead with unholy toughness I could think up without a reference. Feel free to substitute.

Optimystik
2010-06-02, 11:01 PM
The brain is an organ, is it not?

Yes, but it is not in the lich, and therefore the Savant must track it down. Even if he is able to do so, the lich's brain arguably contains none of his lich abilities, since it is removed during the Sere Rite. (i.e. before he actually becomes a Dry Lich.)

2xMachina
2010-06-02, 11:40 PM
The spell makes them regrow organs, does it not?

Also: Illithid + zombie = BRAAIINS!

Optimystik
2010-06-02, 11:42 PM
The spell makes them regrow organs, does it not?

No, it just gives glow. Undead creatures without brains won't regrow any to be chewed on.

And even if it did resupply brains, you still have the problem of what value they'd contain.

2xMachina
2010-06-02, 11:48 PM
I just had a weird mental image. An Illithid sucking on a liches skull like it was a bubblegum.