PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Base Class] Soldier (Fighter Rework) [P.E.A.C.H.]

Morphamagus
2010-06-02, 10:14 PM
I'll be running a game in the fall, and due to the campaign setting I've decided to rework the classes that I'll be allowing.

It certainly seems a bit overpowered, but that was for two reasons: One, the fighter always seemed like it got a short stick to me. Two, there will be no dedicated spellcasting classes so I figure the other classes could use some help on the damage and crazy ability side of things.

If you have any suggestions on moving things around or changing some abilities let me know.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Soldiers have the following game statistics.
Abilities: Strength is especially important for soldiers because it improves their melee attack and damage rolls. Constitution is important for giving soldiers lots of hit points, which they need in their many battles. Dexterity is important for soldiers that want to be good archers or who want to access certain Dexterity-oriented feats, but the heavy armor that soldiers usually wear reduces the benefit of a high Dexterity score.
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d10

Class Skills
The soldier’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (nobility and royalty)(Int),Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skill points at 1st level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill points at each additional level: (4 + Int modifier)

SOLDIER
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Melee Style, Ranged Style

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Bonus Feat, Infantry Training

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Bonus Feat

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Improved Melee Style

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+2|Bonus Feat

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+2|Sergeant's Valor

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+2|Bonus Feat

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+3|

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+3|Bonus Feat

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+3|
+3|Greater Melee Style

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+4|
+4|Bonus Feat

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4|
+4|Captain's Resolve

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+4|
+4|Bonus Feat

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+5|
+5|

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5|
+5|Bonus Feat

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+5|Melee Style Mastery

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+6|Bonus Feat

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+6|General's Heart

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+6|Bonus Feat[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the soldier.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A soldier is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor (heavy, medium, and light) and shields (including tower shields).

Bonus Feats: At 2nd level, a soldier gets a bonus combat-oriented feat. The soldier gains an additional bonus feat at every two soldier levels thereafter (4th, 6th, 8th, 10th, 12th, 14th, 16th, 18th, and 20th). These bonus feats must be drawn from the feats noted as fighter bonus feats. A soldier must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums.

Melee Style (Ex): At 1st level a soldier picks from three melee styles to train in: sword and board, pole arm, or heavy blows. This choice affects the character’s class features but does not restrict his selection of feats or special abilities in any way. A soldier gains any feats granted by these abilities, even if he does not meet the normal prerequisites.

Sword and BoardA soldier must be equipped with a one-handed weapon and a shield for this melee style.Gain the Improved Shield Bash feat. In addition all allies adjacent to you, of one size category larger than you or smaller, gain a +1 shield bonus to AC when you are wielding a light or heavy shield. This bonus increases to +2 at 6th level, +3 at 11th level, up to +4 at 16th level. If wielding a tower shield, you instead confer 20% cover per point of bonus.
Pole ArmA soldier must be wielding a pole arm for this melee style. A pole arm is any two-handed weapon with reach, or similar style at the DM's discretion.Gain the Combat Reflexes feat. In addition, you threaten and may attack any square within your reach.
Heavy BlowsA soldier must be wielding either a one-handed weapon in two hands or a two-handed weapon (but not a double weapon) to benefit from this melee style.Gain the Monkey Grip feat. In addition, you may add double your strength modifier to damage rolls instead of one and a half.

Ranged Style (Ex): At 1st level a soldier also chooses one of three ranged styles: archer, crossbowman, and thrower. Unlike the Melee Style, this choice has no further development beyond first level.

Archer Gain the Point Blank Shot feat. In addition, you may treat your strength score as two higher for purposes of using composite bows.
CrossbowmanGain the Rapid Reload feat. In addition, you may fire a heavy crossbow from one hand at only a -2 penalty (instead of the normal -4).
ThrowerGain the Quick Draw feat. In addition, you may use either your strength or dexterity modifier for attack rolls using thrown weapons (including slings).

Infantry Training (Ex): At 2nd level, a soldier's training grants him a +4 morale bonus to saves against charms, compulsions, and fear effects.

Improved Melee Style (Ex): At 5th level a soldier has trained in his chosen melee style enough to gain additional abilities.

Sword and BoardGain the Agile Shield Fighter feat. You also may apply your shield bonus as a bonus to your reflex saves. In addition, gain an additional +1 bonus to AC when wielding a light or heavy shield. This bonus increases to +2 at 9th level, +3 at 13th level, up to +4 at 17th level.
Pole ArmGain the Improved Trip feat. You may use pole arms that deal piercing damge for trip attempts. In addition, when you ready any pole arm against a charge you deal x2 damage on a hit, or x3 on a critical hit.
Heavy BlowsGain the Improved Sunder feat. You also gain a +2 bonus to disarm attempts and to rolls to avoid being disarmed.

Sergeant's Valor (Ex): At 7th level a soldier's combat experienced has hardened him, making him immune to fear effects. Any ally who can see or hear the soldier gains a +4 morale bonus against fear effects.

Greater Melee Style (Ex): At 11th a soldier's melee training begins to reach perfection, and he gains further abilities in his chosen style.

Sword and BoardGain the Shield Ward feat. In addition you gain the Stunning Fist Feat, but use your shield bash in place of an unarmed strike and you use your Strength modifier to determine the save DC. You may treat your soldier levels as monk levels for the purposes of this feat.
Pole ArmWhile wielding a pole arm, whenever you hit with an attack of opportunity against an opponent moving through a square you threaten you may end that movement and may make a trip attempt as a free action.
Heavy BlowsGain the Improved Critical feat. In addition, on a critical hit you may attempt a sunder attempt as a free action with a +2 bonus to hit and to damage.

Captain's Resolve (Ex): At 13th level a soldier's dedication is so strong that, if he fails a save against any charm or compulsion he may attempt another save at the beginning of his next turn at the same DC. He only gets this one extra chance to suceed on his saving throw.

Melee Style Mastery (Ex): At 17th level a soldier has fully mastered his chosen melee style, and he learns the ultimate expression of its form.

Sword and BoardGain the Greater Two-Weapon Fighting feat. In addition, when making a shield bash attack you may add one and one-half your Strength modifier to the damage roll. Adjacent allies may apply you full shield bonus to AC in place of their own, and as a bonus to Reflex saves.
Pole ArmYou may make an attack of opportunity against any creature that enters a square you threaten (normally you may only gain an attack of opportunity when a creature leaves a square you threaten), however a single movement only provokes one attack. You also may extend your reach by 5' for one attack during a full attack action.
Heavy BlowsWhen wielding a two-handed melee weapon (but not a double weapon) without reach, your critical hit multiplier is increased by 1. You may also, as a full attack action, make a single attack and if you hit you deal double damage.

General's Heart (Ex): At 19th level a soldier has become so adept at guiding his allies through battle that the soldier and any ally that can see or hear the soldier gains a +4 bonus to saves against all enchantments.

Shpadoinkle
2010-06-03, 05:24 AM
So basically it's a less flexible fighter with a few unique feats?

Um... personally I'd say it's pretty much the same as the standard fighter. Maybe slightly weaker due to less flexibilty in build choice.

Samm
2010-06-03, 06:31 AM
Well, there are quite a few dead levels. That in general isn't a good thing in a class. Personally, I'd add a couple of nifty abilities to fill the gaps. Also, a fighter should probably have a few more skill points.

After that, there aren't too many unique abilites as well. So yeah, um add some...

Additionally, where's the two-weapon melee style? I thought that was a relatively cool method of fighting.

Also, archery doesn't get a metion in any of the class abilities.

Thieves
2010-06-03, 07:33 AM
1) Why not proficient with tower shields? Now, he is a soldier, not a fighter, so I don't get it.

2) Samm: a two-weapon style is not really a viable option on a battlefield; well, yes, I don't know the fluff of this class, but a soldier would be someone fighting in a rank rather than exclusively Drizzting his way to where the spotlight is. Either way, it depends on the fluff and WSoD for the DM and players; some wouldn't like a commando of a dozen (or several dozen) guys swirling onto the battlefield, doing crazy whirlwind attacks (not the feat). But, on the whole, it's a question of taste.

3) I guess that the "dead levels" thing is just a homebrewing / Playground ethic. Most classes in Core actually have a lot of dead levels, don't they?

4) Archery doesn't get a mention, true. A soldier, I'd imagine, would be quite versatile. (A thing that's also taken away from him because of rare bonus feats.)

5) "These bonus feats are in addition to the feat that a character of any class gets from advancing levels. A soldier is not limited to the list of fighter bonus feats when choosing these feats." Unnecessary, and worded in a way that makes you think bonus feats don't have to be taken from FBFs list.

6) Pole Arm Melee Style level 2: Why NOT attack someone who moves from a more distant to a closer one? That's exactly what "readied to poke someone charging at me" is! I could understand not being able to hit someone moving around you (it's a thrust weapon), but AT you? Also: "threaten" means attack of opportunity? If it's in a 5ft. and a 10ft. range, you seem to be giving away the Short Haft Style feat for free. (Which is not bad, said that just FYI.)

7) Two-Handed Melee Style level 2: WOAH. A free Monkey grip and a 200% effective power attack? Too much, way too much.

8) Pole Arm Melee Style level 7: Proof-check how readying against a charge works, I'm not sure if it isn't already worded in a similar way. Also, you can just say "You're treated as having the Improved Trip feat while wielding pole-arms."

9) Two-Handed Melee Style level 7: Improved Sunder would perhaps be in line?

10) Pole Arm level 13: I don't know Hold the Line, but it seems you also give one other feat (stopping him from moving) and another one (a free trip attempt? yikes!). Overall, though, I think you can't trip with some weapons, and most pikes (or spears) would fall into that category.

11) Pole Arm level 20: Soooo, you mean like Combat Reflexes? I don't get "If they are also leaving a square you threaten, you only get one attack."

12) Piker Defense would be disproportionately hard to pull off compared to the benefits in an adventuring party. In war, well. If it wasn't free I wouldn't consider picking it up.

13) Weapon-and-Shield average, but in general quite useful. Pole Arm done completely crazy in a multitude of ways. Two-Handed Weapon overpowered compared to two others. Capstones are at least several levels late.

Also, check out Halberd. Two-handed, no reach, is a pole-arm that can trip and be readied against a charge. Kinda screws with your way of differentiating weapons. Work on that.

Get back to work, citizen! :smallwink:

Zaakar
2010-06-03, 08:03 AM
Weapon-and-Shield gives a bonus of one or two to AC (... weak :smallconfused:), bonus to reflex saves (neat, I guess) and two feats. But you still get less feats then you would if you played a normal fighter. I would guess this is a nerf compared to the SRD fighter.

The Pole Arm choice seem slightly better but still only provides you and allies 1 or 2 AC (maybe), might grant a minor bonuses versus Bull Rush and Overrun (unlikely), makes you good against charging foes (neat, I guess), improves your trip (too little and too slow), kinda increases your reach and provides some AoOs. It also provides some feats a normal fighter could get a hold on earlier then this variant. This also seem like a nerf compared to the SRD and generally seem a little too little for 20 levels...
(Seem like it's made to fit a fighter trip-build but don't they use spiked chains? Spiked chains arn't pole arms...)

Two-Handed Weapon style is the strangest in this list. Monkey grip and the other bonuses seem kinda in line with the other styles in power (to me, at least) but then there at lvl 2 you gain the easily most powerful ability this variant has to offer. Doubbeling the extra damage from Power Attack is really, really potent.

IMO, this variant of fighter seem kinda good if you wanna run a low-power game and think the normal fighter is too strong. Except for the second level ability for Two-Handed weapons, that thing seem crazy strong. (But then, I'm no expert when it comes to balance...)

Anyway, this is bookmared. Im gonna keep an eye on this progress :smallsmile:

Morphamagus
2010-06-03, 02:10 PM
Thanks everyone for the input, I’ve made some changes and am curious to see what else I could improve.

In response to the points Thieves (and Samm and Zaakar) brought up:
1) Fixed, it was a copy and paste error on my part. They also should have been given 4+Int skill points.

2) Agreed style wise. Also, I wanted to save two-weapon goodness for the ranger and/or a new swashbuckler-y class I’ll be doing after this one. That said, in earlier drafts I did have a Dual Wield style choice.

3) I wasn’t too worried about dead levels. Like you said it seems to be more of a Playground issue. But who knows, some will probably disappear as I work on this.

4) Like with Dual Wielding, Archery was in an earlier draft, but I realized it wouldn’t be too differentiated from the ranger’s archer combat style. I figure I can either add it back in, or give a few more bonus feats, but I’m not too sure I want to go back to standard fighter bonus feat progression. Thoughts?

5) Deleted. I included it because of a similar line in the fighter class, but you’re right it did confuse things a bit.

6) Think I’ll remove the bit about not being able to attack as they move closer, it was an attempt at balance on my part but it did feel odd. I realize the effect is similar to the Short Haft feat, but the feature I’ve given allows you to threaten the squares adjacent to you and the squares 10’ away at the same time (with the feat it’s either/or with a swift action to change).

7) I’m thinking I should change the Power Attack bonus to the ability to apply double the strength modifier (from the Mastery level ability) and then give the Master level something else. I’ve given the Mastery level a place holder ability for the time being.

8) The extra damage when readying against a charge only applies to one or two pole arms already, I wanted it to apply to all of them. I changed it to Improved Trip as you suggested.

9) Changed. Short and simple works best it seems.

10) Dropped Hold the Line, it was a bit too much with the other abilities as you pointed out. It is true that piercing weapons cannot normally be used to trip, but with this ability they can be. I’ll clarify that in my wording.

11) Cleared up my wording a bit. Normally in 3.5 you only get an AoO when someone leaves a square you threaten, but not when they enter. This ability gives access to both.

12) Dropped Piker Defense and just changed it to Combat Reflexes.

13) I tried to address some of the issues you brought up with the Pole Arm and Two-Handed styles, let me know what you think. Any suggestions on where I should move the capstones to (and I guess that means adjusting the other abilities’ levels as well). I realize Halberd has a bunch of nifty abilities, and I wanted to open them up to other pole arms with a slight power boost.

Samm
2010-06-04, 12:58 AM
Thanks everyone for the input, I’ve made some changes and am curious to see what else I could improve.

In response to the points Thieves (and Samm and Zaakar) brought up:
1) Fixed, it was a copy and paste error on my part. They also should have been given 4+Int skill points.

Yeah, that's much better in my opinion.

2) Agreed style wise. Also, I wanted to save two-weapon goodness for the ranger and/or a new swashbuckler-y class I’ll be doing after this one. That said, in earlier drafts I did have a Dual Wield style choice.

Yeah, alright. I suppose that it's not quite in line with the fluff...

3) I wasn’t too worried about dead levels. Like you said it seems to be more of a Playground issue. But who knows, some will probably disappear as I work on this.

I don't like dead levels in a class. You know, like around half your levels invested in the class give you nothing at all. I don't think that's a good thing... Yet, it does leave room for some other features.

4) Like with Dual Wielding, Archery was in an earlier draft, but I realized it wouldn’t be too differentiated from the ranger’s archer combat style. I figure I can either add it back in, or give a few more bonus feats, but I’m not too sure I want to go back to standard fighter bonus feat progression. Thoughts?

Okay, well, Archery wouldn't be too bad, but increasing your choices in character building doesn't quite increase raw power. Also, it would be nice if some other unique abilities were give to fill the dead levels, like the ability to gain temporary hp on crits as an adrenaline surge or something or maybe an ability that allows one to blind badies, weaken them, cut off limbs etc..

Temotei
2010-06-04, 01:10 AM
I don't like dead levels in a class.

Nobody does. When you only get +1 BAB, you feel a little...cheated, as the wizard gets a whole new level of spells (along with two free spells at level-up).

I recommend filling the dead levels with something, at least. Even if they're just flavorful abilities (such as +1 attack/4 levels when fighting adjacent to an ally), that's better than nothing. The attack bonus is small enough so that it barely matters, but significant enough to set the soldier apart from other melee classes.

Do stuff like that. It'll help. Honestly.

Lev
2010-06-04, 01:59 AM
The shield bonus for allies seems increasingly silly considering you are thinking a sort of tower shield line effect right? Then why not just have a feat that considers the soldier's square as cover, and then raise the % of cover an attack passing through the square will have to make? I mean it's not like you are thrusting your shield in front of someone else selflessly, if that were the case you'd lose that AC or have to move or something.

Morphamagus
2010-06-04, 08:40 PM
The shield bonus for allies seems increasingly silly considering you are thinking a sort of tower shield line effect right? Then why not just have a feat that considers the soldier's square as cover, and then raise the % of cover an attack passing through the square will have to make? I mean it's not like you are thrusting your shield in front of someone else selflessly, if that were the case you'd lose that AC or have to move or something.

That makes sense. I think I'll add in a line about it working differently for tower shields, similar to what you've given me.

I'll be doing more work on this over the weekend. My main idea is to add in a Ranged Style (with Crossbowman, Archer, and Thrower as the different choices) that has less of an influence than the Melee Style, but adds more options. I'm also looking at adding in something similar to a paladin's Aura of Courage at one of the early levels. I'll post my changes whenever I finish working on them.

Also, some people have mentioned the pacing of the class abilities and that their capstones seem delayed. What level would be good for the Melee Style Mastery, and what pacing would work for the other Melee Style abilities?

Zaakar
2010-06-05, 02:51 AM
Also, some people have mentioned the pacing of the class abilities and that their capstones seem delayed. What level would be good for the Melee Style Mastery, and what pacing would work for the other Melee Style abilities?
I still feel like the powerlevel of this rewrite is appropriate for an elite NPC, but not enough for a PC. That might be what you want, in case you're aiming for a campaign with a low powerlevel. If not, I wouldn't take more then a two-level dip in either Polearm or Two-Handed Weapon Style and wouldn't consider the Weapon-and-Shield choice.

Siosilvar
2010-06-05, 05:38 PM
Weapon-and-Shield: Double the bonuses. At least.
Move the reflex save bonus back to 7th level. Come up with a new capstone.
You don't do enough with shield bashes, in my opinion. And stun attacks are nice and useful. :smallwink:

Ranged: Please give the ability to reload crossbows with one hand, if only so sword and shield isn't limited to throwing weapons.

Hmm... most of these abilities are kind of small, come to think of it.

Melee Style (Ex) at level 1
Sword and Board
While you are using a shield, you gain a +1 insight bonus to AC.

Longarm Master
You gain Combat Reflexes as a bonus feat, even if you don't meet the prerequisites.

Powerful Blows
You gain Cleave and Improved Sunder as bonus feats, even if you don't meet the prerequisites.

Melee Focus (Ex) at level 2 or 3
Sword and Board
You gain the Improved Shield Bash feat.
While you are using a shield, you may use your shield to grant yourself and any allies within 5 feet of you a +2 bonus to Armor Class and a +1 bonus to Reflex saves.

Longarm Master
A polearm is any two-handed special monk weapon, any weapon with reach, or any weapon that can be set against a charge.
You gain the Improved Trip feat and may make a trip attempt with any polearm you wield.
Whenever an opponent makes a charge that passes within your reach, regardless of whether or not you are the target, you may make an attack of opportunity against that opponent with a polearm you are wielding.

Powerful Blows
Whenever you attack with a one-handed or two-handed melee weapon, you may add twice your Strength modifier to damage instead of the normal number.
--something else useful, I ran out of ideas--

Later level abilities
Sword and Board
While using a shield, your shield bonus to AC also applies to touch attacks.

Powerful Blows
Whenever you make a full attack, you may sacrifice any number of attacks and add a damage bonus to the remaining attacks equal to five times the number of sacrificed attacks.

EDIT: Oh, and keeping the fighter bonus feat progression (1/2 levels, including level 0) is probably fine.

Morphamagus
2010-06-07, 10:42 PM
So I made some big changes to this class over the weekend.

1) I reverted to the standard fighter feat progression, except for the first level which I don't think will be too sorely missed. I can always add it in later if it seems like it needs it.
B- I added in a Ranged Style choice at first level. It is only really for the sake of added fluidity, and I didn't want to develop it as fully as the Melee Style.
Third, and probably most noticeable should be the Infantry Training, Sergeant's Valor, Captain's Resolve, and General's Heart ability progression. I figure with all that fancy training, soldier's should learn to ignore distractions and just follow orders, and eventually lead allies under a similar vein.
IV: I flavorfied some names of class features. I was going to get the mechanics and then tweaks names asking for suggestions, but Siosilvar beat me to it so I incorporated some of his names. I'll do final naming once the class has reached a final state.

That said I'm really happy with how this is turning out, and with the help I've been getting. Pretty much every reply has helped in one way or another.

The only thing you may need to keep in mind is that for the game I'll be running (and that I'm making this for), there will be no spellcasters in the party to compete against. So don't compare versus the dedicated spellcasting classes, but look more toward the other classes like barbarian, ranger, rogue, etc.

Samm
2010-06-08, 04:06 AM

1) I reverted to the standard fighter feat progression, except for the first level which I don't think will be too sorely missed. I can always add it in later if it seems like it needs it.
B- I added in a Ranged Style choice at first level. It is only really for the sake of added fluidity, and I didn't want to develop it as fully as the Melee Style.
Third, and probably most noticeable should be the Infantry Training, Sergeant's Valor, Captain's Resolve, and General's Heart ability progression. I figure with all that fancy training, soldier's should learn to ignore distractions and just follow orders, and eventually lead allies under a similar vein.
IV: I flavorfied some names of class features. I was going to get the mechanics and then tweaks names asking for suggestions, but Siosilvar beat me to it so I incorporated some of his names. I'll do final naming once the class has reached a final state.

That said I'm really happy with how this is turning out, and with the help I've been getting. Pretty much every reply has helped in one way or another.

The only thing you may need to keep in mind is that for the game I'll be running (and that I'm making this for), there will be no spellcasters in the party to compete against. So don't compare versus the dedicated spellcasting classes, but look more toward the other classes like barbarian, ranger, rogue, etc.

I like the Soldier morale features, they seem nice. They're better than the Barbarian's Indomitable Will, I like them.

I also, think the Ranged Style features are pretty cool. I like the way that they're not mutually exclusive with the Melee Style features.

Zaakar
2010-06-08, 04:48 AM
:smallcool: I particulary like the Ranged Style.

Are you playing core only? Hate to be the first to bring ToB to the thread, but you've got some pretty powerful non-spellcasting classes in that book (well, kinda non-caster :smallconfused:). Also, isn't ranger a semi-caster? Anyway, I like this :smallbiggrin:

Morphamagus
2010-06-08, 01:30 PM
Are you playing core only? Hate to be the first to bring ToB to the thread, but you've got some pretty powerful non-spellcasting classes in that book (well, kinda non-caster :smallconfused:). Also, isn't ranger a semi-caster? Anyway, I like this :smallbiggrin:

Not strictly core only, though my players tend to gravitate that way on their own. It's usually on a "just ask me and it'll probably be ok" basis. This campaign happens to have a no spellcaster limit as well.

Yes ranger does have some minor spell casting, so I'll be using the non spellcasting variant from Complete Warrior.

Most of my players aren't familiar with ToB, so I'd probably avoid it and its mechanics for simplicity's sake.

Thieves
2010-06-08, 02:00 PM
Hey, starts looking good :) As for the levels 9th and 15th, how about adding a free Weapon Focus and a Greater Weapon Focus for one ranged weapon, so as not to make Ranged Style a one-shotter? That would fit a soldier trying to weaken the enemy at range first (you know, when they charge you pack them with iron, then pick up your toys and go into melee).

Morphamagus
2010-06-10, 07:49 PM
Well, as far as the Ranged Style goes I kinda just want to keep it a one-shot deal. I figure the boop-load of feats they get can help any soldiers that decide to dabble more in ranged combat, and they get a couple handy extra features to choose from anyway.

I may be wrong, but I feel filling in any more of the levels would be a bit too much. There are only three levels in the class that don't have anything in the class feature section, and they're all at levels where the character will get a feat anyway (assuming no multiclassing).

At this point I'm more worried that the three styles are balanced and that the new features seem like they fit (flavor and power/level).