PDA

View Full Version : my first homebrew creature

big teej
2010-06-02, 10:41 PM
for those of you who know the game, this is my conversion of the basic headcrab from half life

I appreciate any thoughts/suggestions/praise/criticisms/what have you. this is my first go round with converting a creature from another setting into dnd

it's big and lengthly, sooooooo
HEADCRAB

Size/Type: Tiny Aberration (headcrab)
Hit dice: 1d10 + 2 (6 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 20 ft. (25 ft with jump)
Armor Class: 20 (all)
Base Attack/
Grapple: +2/+6
Attack: Bite +3 (1d4 – 1) or Claw (1d4-1)
Full Attack: Bite +3 (1d4 – 1) or Claw (1d4-1)
Space/Reach: 5ft. /5ft.
Special
Attacks: Leaping Grab +4 (no damage, initiates grapple) and/or Burrow to Brain (1d10)
Special
Qualities: tremor-sense, immune to mind effects
Saves: Fort + 0, Ref + 4, Will + 2
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 16, Con, 13, Int 8, Wis, 8, Cha 4
Skills: Listen + 8, Spot + 8
Feats: ---
Environment: Any, prefers dark places.
Organization: single, or group (any amount)
Challenge
Rating: I have no freaking clue.
Treasure: none*
Alignment: True Neutral

The headcrab, is a very small parasitic creature, its body is about the size of a pig’s head. The head crabs body is akin to a skinless, featureless head, the underside of the body is a bloody cavity. Within the cavity is a birdlike or squid like beak, which it uses to burrow into its preys skull. It has four insectoid like legs that end in grasping claws. It attacks by leaping from the ground/from its hiding place in the shadows, and attempting to land on a target's head. When a headcrab succeeds in latching onto prey, it burrows into the victim’s skull with its beak until it reaches the brain, which it consumes, it then imbeds itself into the recently deceased nervous system of the victim, taking control and causing the body of the victim to rise as a form of zombie, the headcrab absorbs sustenance from the host body until everything that can be absorbed is consumed. During this phase, the ‘zombie’ attacks any other potential prey for the headcrab with NO thought to self preservation or reasoning. This is presumably so that once the current host is exhausted; other sources of nutrients are readily available.

*a headcrab itself carries no treasure, however, the body(ies) of its victims would still have anything they possessed in life, provided it hasn’t fallen out of rotting clothes

thankyou for reading, and thankyou in advance for any comments you have to make

PersonMan
2010-06-02, 11:01 PM
You don't list where the AC comes from. Unless they have a +10 deflection bonus to AC and nothing else...

Their AC so far would be 13/12/13(+1 dex, +2 size) before natural armor.

Also, if they have an intelligence score they get feats.

In addition; for skills, if they have 4 ranks in Spot and Listen(max), they need a +5 racial bonus to get +8 to both, as their low Wisdom drops the bonuses to +3 each.

big teej
2010-06-02, 11:04 PM
You don't list where the AC comes from. Unless they have a +10 deflection bonus to AC and nothing else...

Their AC so far would be 13/12/13(+1 dex, +2 size) before natural armor.

Also, if they have an intelligence score they get feats.

excellent point, and thankyou for bringing it up

part of the reason is because I don't know the numbers very well, and don't know how to figure out anything except base AC (nor did I know for certain the modifiers for size)

the other part was that I wanted the headcrab to have a higher AC to reflect how hard it is to hit the little buggers when they're hopping about trying to.... 'couple' with your head.

if you have a mechanical suggestion to reflect this I would most appreciate it.

PersonMan
2010-06-02, 11:09 PM
Jumping around a lot? Probably represent that by increasing the dexterity. If you want an AC of 20, how about:

20/flat-footed 16/touch 16 (+2 size, +4 natural, +4 dex)
And increase the dexterity to 18.

In my previous post I horribly messed up the dexterity modifier. 16 is +3, not +1....Gah.

big teej
2010-06-02, 11:12 PM
Jumping around a lot? Probably represent that by increasing the dexterity. If you want an AC of 20, how about:

20/flat-footed 16/touch 16 (+2 size, +4 natural, +4 dex)
And increase the dexterity to 18.

In my previous post I horribly messed up the dexterity modifier. 16 is +3, not +1....Gah.

I like that suggestion alot... as a matter of fact, I'm gonna go write that down so I can remember to use it.

thanks a bunch:smallbiggrin:

have you anything else to add?

:elan: don't worry that math stuff gets me alot too.

DracoDei
2010-06-02, 11:18 PM
Welcome.

It has been done before. You may have done a better job in some areas (although yours is basically unusable actually...), maybe not. What I STRONGLY suspect you didn't do was run a search to see if you could find it (Google using "site:www.giantitp.com" before the term you are looking for works better than the site search I think) so you could use that as a springboard to create your own version.

You are completely missing mechanics (which we call "crunch" around here), on the actual stats for the combined creature when it is controlling another creature, as well as a special ability to technically allow it to do so.

big teej
2010-06-02, 11:23 PM
Welcome.

It has been done before. You may have done a better job in some areas (although yours is basically unusable actually...), maybe not. What I STRONGLY suspect you didn't do was run a search to see if you could find it (Google using "site:www.giantitp.com" before the term you are looking for works better than the site search I think) so you could use that as a springboard to create your own version.

You are completely missing mechanics (which we call "crunch" around here), on the actual stats for the combined creature when it is controlling another creature, as well as a special ability to technically allow it to do so.

nope, didn't run a search, I'm more than willing to steal people's ideas for my games, but I also believe that I learn best by doing, and I..... totally didn't think there might be another headcrab on this particular forum. and last, I wanted to make it my own :smallbiggrin:

thankyou for pointing out the gap in the mechanics (about after it has taken over a host) I'll get to work on that straight away..... tomorrow. and put it up.

this is why I love the forums, I was so focused on getting the fluff of the lil bugger right that I completely skipped out on the zombie making portion

thankyou much.

I shall return to pick your brains tomorrow :smallsmile:

Eldan
2010-06-03, 07:30 AM
A few suggestions:

The combined creature I'd do by applying the normal zombie template to the dead critter, that seems to work well enough, except for a weakness to head-shots. (A critical kills them automatically? Something like that).

You really need to stat up "Leaping Grab +4 (no damage, initiates grapple) and/or Burrow to Brain (1d10)"

Also, it has a 25 ft. "Jump speed", which, as far as I'm aware, doesn't exist.

Suggestion for abilities:

Leaping Grab (ex) The head crab has a racial +20 bonus to jump checks and is always considered to have a running start.
The headcrab can use this ability to make a special grapple attack: if it hits with a bite attack after making a jump, it can automatically initiate a grapple, with a +8 bonus to it's check.

(+8 is necessary because of size difference. They rarely seem to fail.)

Give it a bite attack as well, with a small damage, and:

big teej
2010-06-03, 10:05 AM
A few suggestions:

The combined creature I'd do by applying the normal zombie template to the dead critter, that seems to work well enough, except for a weakness to head-shots. (A critical kills them automatically? Something like that).

You really need to stat up "Leaping Grab +4 (no damage, initiates grapple) and/or Burrow to Brain (1d10)"

Also, it has a 25 ft. "Jump speed", which, as far as I'm aware, doesn't exist.

Suggestion for abilities:

Leaping Grab (ex) The head crab has a racial +20 bonus to jump checks and is always considered to have a running start.
The headcrab can use this ability to make a special grapple attack: if it hits with a bite attack after making a jump, it can automatically initiate a grapple, with a +8 bonus to it's check.

(+8 is necessary because of size difference. They rarely seem to fail.)

Give it a bite attack as well, with a small damage, and:

on 'jump speed'
yea, I knew it didn't exist, but I didn't know how else to convey that extra bit of distance it gets when it tries to latch onto you.

thankyou for your help everyone, in a lil bit I'm going to change it to reflect everyone's suggestions and then I'll put up the (hopefully) final, and playable, beastie.

one last thing before I go rewriting the whole thing, me being a very fluff and mood based DM, I'm curious as to all of yall's thoughts on my description of the head crab, as a DM I like to try and invoke actual feelings in my players that reflect what their characters are going through whenever possible, so if I could also get some feedback on the lil fluffy bit at the bottom that'd be fantastic :smallsmile:

edit: how would you recommend stating out the leaping grab and burrow to brain? I might just be having a blank moment but nothing is coming to mind on how to expand on that. unless you meant fluff it, i can do that no problem

big teej
2010-06-04, 10:24 AM
I've read through all the suggestions, and added in all that i thought fit (and could figure out how to implement them)

well, after much helpful critique, i give you

the new and improved(?) and (hopefully) playable and final version of big teej's headcrab

HEADCRAB

Size/Type: Tiny Aberration (headcrab)
Hit dice: 1d10 + 2 (6 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 20 ft.
Armor Class: 20/flat footed 16/ touch 16
Base Attack/
Grapple: +2/+6
Attack: Bite +3 (1d4 – 1) or Claw (1d4-1)
Full Attack: Bite +3 (1d4 – 1) or Claw (1d4-1)
Space/Reach: 5ft. /5ft.
Special
Attacks: Leaping Grab +4 (no damage, initiates grapple) and/or Burrow to Brain** (1d10)
Special ‘zombefy’***
Qualities: tremor-sense, immune to mind effects
Saves: Fort + 0, Ref + 4, Will + 2
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 18, Con, 13, Int 8, Wis, 10, Cha 4
Skills: Listen + 8, Spot + 8
Feats: ---
Environment: Any, prefers dark places.
Organization: single, or group (any amount)
Challenge
Rating: I have no freaking clue.
Treasure: none*
Alignment: True Neutral

The headcrab, is a very small parasitic creature, its body is about the size of a pig’s head. The head crabs body is akin to a skinless, featureless head, the underside of the body is a bloody cavity. Within the cavity is a birdlike or squid like beak, which it uses to burrow into its preys skull. It has four insectoid like legs that end in grasping claws. It attacks by leaping from the ground/from its hiding place in the shadows, and attempting to land on a target's head. When a headcrab succeeds in latching onto prey, it burrows into the victim’s skull with its beak until it reaches the brain, which it consumes, it then imbeds itself into the recently deceased nervous system of the victim, taking control and causing the body of the victim to rise as a form of zombie, the headcrab absorbs sustenance from the host body until everything that can be absorbed is consumed. During this phase, the ‘zombie’ attacks any other potential prey for the headcrab with NO thought to self preservation or reasoning. This is presumably so that once the current host is exhausted; other sources of nutrients are readily available.

*a headcrab itself carries no treasure, however, the body(ies) of its victims would still have anything they possessed in life, provided it hasn’t fallen out of rotting clothes

** a headcrab will only attempt to couple with medium humanoid creatures, as anything smaller does not provide enough sustenance, nor a stable attaching point for the headcrab. The headcrab cannot fit on anything larger

*** The headcrab burrows into the skull of the victim and takes control of its body. In game terms, it acquires the zombie template with the following changes/exceptions

A headcrab zombie cannot be commanded, period. (The controlling beastie is still immune to mind effects)

A head crab zombie cannot use weapons

A headcrab zombie does not retain special qualities that improve its melee or ranged attacks (except natural qualities such as claws)

A headcrab zombie is neutral, not evil

A headcrab zombie cannot be turned

A headcrab that’s host body is destroyed may still live if the headcrab is not destroyed in the process.

critique again if you wish, but this time around also please include suggestions/opinions on the fluffy bit (the italicized text)

PersonMan
2010-06-04, 10:25 AM
Initiative 18 means +4 dex, which means +4 Init, not +3.

Also, aberrations get 3/4 BAB, so +2 BAB with one hit die is impossible.

In addition, the attacks would deal 1d3+1 damage, because the 'crab has 12 Strength, not 8.

EDIT: And it still needs a feat.

big teej
2010-06-04, 10:36 AM
Initiative 18 means +4 dex, which means +4 Init, not +3.

oops, i changed the stat at someone's suggestion and forgot to change the initiative -fix-

Also, aberrations get 3/4 BAB, so +2 BAB with one hit die is impossible.

this is dnd, nothing is impossible. :smallbiggrin:

And it still needs a feat.

okidoke, why? :smallconfused:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-06-04, 10:47 AM
this is dnd, nothing is impossible. :smallbiggrin:

Untrue. Some rules always stay the same. Saves, Hit Dice, Attack Bonuses and such are constants. You have 1 HD, and are an Aberration? You have a Base Attack Bonus of +0. Always.

okidoke, why? :smallconfused:

Because of the constants of the game. Along with HD and Saves, intelligent creatures (Int 1 or greater) receive a feat at their 1st Hit Die, and an additional one at every Hit Dice number divisible by 3.

I also think their Intelligence is a bit high...I don't see them as sentient beings, which Int 3+ indicates. Personally, I'd go with Int 2, 3 at the most. Strength and Constitution are also a bit high, as the Headcrab really doesn't have a lot of physical force, and is quite frail. Something like 4 and 8 respectively might be better.

big teej
2010-06-04, 11:50 AM
Untrue. Some rules always stay the same. Saves, Hit Dice, Attack Bonuses and such are constants. You have 1 HD, and are an Aberration? You have a Base Attack Bonus of +0. Always.

Because of the constants of the game. Along with HD and Saves, intelligent creatures (Int 1 or greater) receive a feat at their 1st Hit Die, and an additional one at every Hit Dice number divisible by 3.

I also think their Intelligence is a bit high...I don't see them as sentient beings, which Int 3+ indicates. Personally, I'd go with Int 2, 3 at the most. Strength and Constitution are also a bit high, as the Headcrab really doesn't have a lot of physical force, and is quite frail. Something like 4 and 8 respectively might be better.

never was that good at math :smallfrown:
I was unaware of the... (technical term) 'racial' bab - HD ratio (as i stated earlier, my mechanics knowledge is unfortunatly quite limited, but that's why i post here, so i can learn)

so I'll go ahead and fix that
-fix-

I was unsure what implications were attached (aside from non sentience) with intellegince three, and was unsure how low to make it, hence 8 however, if 'non sentient' is the extent of those implications it shall be fixed immidietly
-fix pending-

strength i put at twelve because of how stubbornly it latches onto it's intended victim, and i was/am unaware of a mechanic to reflect context based strength if there is one, PLEEEEEASE tell me about it so i can correct it.

constitution? i believe on that one i merely fell into a trap my group often falls into, which we've come to term "the cog syndrome" (or at least i have)
cog syndromeCog skulltaker was a barbarian i rolled as my first character EVER, during the groups first session ever, his stats were 18,17,17,15,12,9. so now, everyone in our group compares all of our characters (and apparently, our homebrew beasties) to cog and his ungodly good rolls.
in short, you are correct, constitution is much to high, but being the poor number person that i am, what would recomend the new score be? 8 sounds right i suppose...
-fixed ish-

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-06-04, 11:59 AM
never was that good at math :smallfrown:
I was unaware of the... (technical term) 'racial' bab - HD ratio (as i stated earlier, my mechanics knowledge is unfortunatly quite limited, but that's why i post here, so i can learn)

Google the Hypertext SRD if you've got a minute. There's a section there that tells you the mechanics of each creature type.

I was unsure what implications were attached (aside from non sentience) with intellegince three, and was unsure how low to make it, hence 8 however, if 'non sentient' is the extent of those implications it shall be fixed immidietly

Intelligence 3 is when a creature starts having the ability to make rational, planned decisions, and when a creature can do things like rudimentary speech. Creatures that operate only on animal instincts or that cannot make rational decisions usually have Int 1 or 2.

strength i put at twelve because of how stubbornly it latches onto it's intended victim, and i was/am unaware of a mechanic to reflect context based strength if there is one, PLEEEEEASE tell me about it so i can correct it.

You could give it a racial bonus to Grapple checks...say, anywhere from +4 to +8. That makes it a pain to remove once it's grabbed you. Bear in mind that, due to its size, it suffers a -8 penalty to Grapple checks, so you might want to grant it a +12 or +16 racial bonus, which nets it a flat grapple of +4 or +8, minus it's Strength modifier.

constitution? i believe on that one i merely fell into a trap my group often falls into, which we've come to term "the cog syndrome" (or at least i have)
cog syndromeCog skulltaker was a barbarian i rolled as my first character EVER, during the groups first session ever, his stats were 18,17,17,15,12,9. so now, everyone in our group compares all of our characters (and apparently, our homebrew beasties) to cog and his ungodly good rolls.
in short, you are correct, constitution is much to high, but being the poor number person that i am, what would recomend the new score be? 8 sounds right i suppose...
-fixed ish-

10-11 is the human average. Use that instead of Cog. :smallbiggrin:

DracoDei
2010-06-04, 01:07 PM
I once spoke to someone with an English degree (he worked as a programmer, but that is beside the point). The point is that he said that in highschool language arts classes they teach you the rules of language. In college language arts classes they teach you how to break those rules to good effect. When you REALLY REALLY know what you are doing (which you almost certainly do) you CAN make exceptions most anything in creative work. For D&D stuff it does help if you call it out so people don't think it is a typo (and so DebiHuman doesn't get annoyed. :smallbiggrin: ).

I know there is a perfectly good group of undead on this board that get full-BAB as a special ability.

This particular case doesn't call for that... giving it a racial bonus on to-hit rolls, or Weapon Focus and/or Greater Weapon Focus (without meeting the prerequisites) as bonus feats are all better options in ~95% of cases where you need to boost to-hit without boosting ability scores or HD. And that is assuming they NEED a better to-hit, since they are usually doing touch attacks.

Big Teej: Take Djinn's advice, he knows what he is talking about.

Veteran homebrewers: I must respectfully disagree with the estimable Djinn in this matter.

big teej
2010-06-04, 03:59 PM
Google the Hypertext SRD if you've got a minute. There's a section there that tells you the mechanics of each creature type.

I will most certainly do that. thanks a bunch for telling me about it

Intelligence 3 is when a creature starts having the ability to make rational, planned decisions, and when a creature can do things like rudimentary speech. Creatures that operate only on animal instincts or that cannot make rational decisions usually have Int 1 or 2.

intelligence 2 it is, thankyou for clearing that up

You could give it a racial bonus to Grapple checks...say, anywhere from +4 to +8. That makes it a pain to remove once it's grabbed you. Bear in mind that, due to its size, it suffers a -8 penalty to Grapple checks, so you might want to grant it a +12 or +16 racial bonus, which nets it a flat grapple of +4 or +8, minus it's Strength modifier.

That sounds like a plan + 16 it is.

10-11 is the human average. Use that instead of Cog. :smallbiggrin:

i Know! i know!!! hahaha I'm well aware that i fall prey to 'the cog syndrome' it's really hard not to do.

This particular case doesn't call for that... giving it a racial bonus on to-hit rolls, or Weapon Focus and/or Greater Weapon Focus (without meeting the prerequisites) as bonus feats are all better options in ~95% of cases where you need to boost to-hit without boosting ability scores or HD. And that is assuming they NEED a better to-hit, since they are usually doing touch attacks.

Big Teej: Take Djinn's advice, he knows what he is talking about.

Veteran homebrewers: I must respectfully disagree with the estimable Djinn in this matter.

I'm always willing to take the advice of people who've been doing this longer, it's just usually going to take a few "why?" questions before i do. :smallsmile:

in regards to what feat to give my little bugger, do you have any suggestions?
aside from 'improved grapple'?
which it technically doesn't meet the prerequisites for.

thanks again for everybody's help, HOPEFULLY by the time i want to throw a covey of these beasties at my players we'll have it hammered out :smallsmile:

PersonMan
2010-06-04, 04:10 PM
Give it Improved Grapple as a racial bonus feat. There, now it has a base -7 to grapple with strength. A +12 racial bonus would give it a total of +5.

DracoDei
2010-06-04, 04:12 PM
Weapon Focus (Touch Attack) For its base feat maybe. Failing that, Dodge, Great Fortitude, or maybe even Lightning Reflexes.
Definitely Improved Grab or Improved Grapple (as a bonus feat) unless you want this thing provoking AoO's every time it attacks.

big teej
2010-06-04, 06:58 PM
Weapon Focus (Touch Attack) For its base feat maybe. Failing that, Dodge, Great Fortitude, or maybe even Lightning Reflexes.
Definitely Improved Grab or Improved Grapple (as a bonus feat) unless you want this thing provoking AoO's every time it attacks.

heh, funny story, for the basic headcrab, i kinda did, because while gaming i about half the time it's easier to hit while it's attacking you

but that could just be me being rust with first person shooters

improved grab as a racial bonus is probably what i'm going for.

the reason i hesitate however, is that there are two ... 'variants' of the basic headcrab a 'fast' version (i think it's called the spider headcrab) and a very heavy, and very slow headcrab (which i believe was called the poision headcrab)

anyways, my point being, in my mind at least, the fast version wouldn't provoke AoO, but if the common consensus is even the base version wouldn't then I'll use improved grapple.

i bow to the expertise of the forums on this one. cause i'm completely unsure

DracoDei
2010-06-04, 07:16 PM
I don't know much about the game in question. Mechanically, either way works, just as long as you keep it in mind when determining the CR.

big teej
2010-06-04, 07:34 PM
well, in the interest of expediting my decision

which would you find more terrifiying at level 1 or 2?

I lean towards just giving it an AC bonus during its leap, and give the fast version 'improved grapple' ..... or both....

i dunno
I'm thinking improved grapple would work, as that would be rather terrifying.

I'll just need to figure out the rules for how to get it off, probably a combination of reflex save and a strength check

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-06-05, 12:43 AM

Oh, we're agreed that it's permissible to alter things. That said, I'd never tell someone it's okay to just throw a full Base Attack Bonus on an Undead creature without mentioning it in the special abilities section. There's also no excuse for a higher BaB than a creature's Hit Dice, for instance...just give it an ability that grants it +1 BaB, or something. You CAN work around the rules, but you must specify when you do so, so that others are aware of your intent at all times. :smallbiggrin:

arguskos
2010-06-05, 12:48 AM
Oh, we're agreed that it's permissible to alter things. That said, I'd never tell someone it's okay to just throw a full Base Attack Bonus on an Undead creature without mentioning it in the special abilities section. There's also no excuse for a higher BaB than a creature's Hit Dice, for instance...just give it an ability that grants it +1 BaB, or something. You CAN work around the rules, but you must specify when you do so, so that others are aware of your intent at all times. :smallbiggrin:
I would also like to add that unless you have a seriously excellent grasp of the default rules already, it is wise to not jack around with the basics in such a manner, as you might not fully understand how such things will change the dynamics of the game.

DracoDei
2010-06-05, 07:13 AM
I would also like to add that unless you have a seriously excellent grasp of the default rules already, it is wise to not jack around with the basics in such a manner, as you might not fully understand how such things will change the dynamics of the game.
As I said, "When you REALLY REALLY know what you are doing". However, I don't blame you for wanting to emphasize the point.

PersonMan
2010-06-05, 09:01 AM
If you want to give it a +2 attack/grapple bonus, you can just give it this:

Really Good Claws(Ex): A Headcrab has really good claws. And I mean, really good. So good that it gets an effective +2 BAB, even though its Hit Dice would indicate less.

...Yeah. Also, remember the size bonus(+2, actually!) to hit on claws and...er...Head-Drill.

Eldan
2010-06-05, 09:23 AM
I wouldn't make that Base attack, more like an enhancement bonus. The effect is likely the same in nine out of ten cases, but the rules implications are less wonky.

Debihuman
2010-06-05, 10:50 AM
I once spoke to someone with an English degree (he worked as a programmer, but that is beside the point). The point is that he said that in high school language arts classes they teach you the rules of language. In college language arts classes they teach you how to break those rules to good effect. When you REALLY REALLY know what you are doing (which you almost certainly do) you CAN make exceptions most anything in creative work. For D&D stuff it does help if you call it out so people don't think it is a typo (and so DebiHuman doesn't get annoyed. :smallbiggrin: ).

I heard that.... But it's true.

You can find the SRD here: www.d20srd.org. The rules for Aberrations is under Monster Type. It includes the following:

Aberration Type

An aberration has a bizarre anatomy, strange abilities, an alien mindset, or any combination of the three.\

Features

An aberration has the following features.

* 8-sided Hit Dice.
* Base attack bonus equal to ¾ total Hit Dice (as cleric).
* Good Will saves.
* Skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.

Traits

An aberration possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

* Darkvision out to 60 feet.
* Proficient with its natural weapons. If generally humanoid in form, proficient with all simple weapons and any weapon it is described as using.
* Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Aberrations not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Aberrations are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
* Aberrations eat, sleep, and breathe.

If you change any of the above, you should note it in the monster's entry. It's a lot more reasonable to switch out traits than it is features. Features are far more defining and you need a really good reason to change those. Gaining a template is a good reason for example. However, willy-nilly changing the features often leads to a poorly designed monster for the players. Adding a higher BAB often makes the CR too low. It requires a lot of skill to keep a monster balanced when you start messing with the rules. It should be a special ability if you change a feature too.

Here are my suggestions:

"(Headcrab)" is not a subtype. Lose it.

It has 7 hit points. 5.5+2=7.5 and you always round down.

Armor Class is missing it's definitions: 10 + 2 Size + 3 Dex +5 natural seems to be what you want. It is missing Touch and Flat-footed AC.

Because the headcrab is Tiny it has the following modifiers based on its size: it gets +2 to AC and to Attack, -8 to Grapple, +8 to Hide.

You need to mention that unlike normal aberrations, headcrabs use d10 and gain full BAB at +1. If it has BAB +2, you need to add another hit die. That's something that is neither a feature nor a trait that is the in the chart. You are going beyond the bounds of the game and making a monster that nobody can use if you keep the BAB+2.

You didn't give it a Jump skill. You can give it a racial bonus of +4 to Jump if it needs more skill points.

Attack lines should indicate which attack is primary and which is secondary. You left the word "melee" off. Secondary attacks are at a -5 penalty unless the creature has the multiattack feat. Melee Attack is BAB + Size modifier + Str modifer (Unless it has the weapon finesse feat and uses Dex instead of Str) Claw should be primary attack and bite secondary it seems. Only list the primary attack on the Attack line. Full attack is for all attacks.

Assuming you have a BAB of +1. Damage is a factor of Str modifer as well.

Attack: Claw + 4 melee (1d4+1)
Full Attack: 2 claws +4 melee (1d4+1) and bite -1 melee (1d4+1)

Leaping Grab and Burrow Into Brain are special attacks and should be noted under the special attacks but not with any numbers. Information on how those attacks work belongs in the list of special abilties below the creature.

Space/Reach are based on a creature's size. Since the headcrab is Tiny, those numbers should be 2 1/2 ft/0 ft.

You should list all of its special abilities in alphabetical order. You are missing the ones it should have from it's Type.

Debby

big teej
2010-06-07, 08:45 AM
My thanks to all who have replied, and I apologize it's been much longer than normal between my replies.

Saturday I went to my first gaming convention (and spent all my money) and then played dnd until about 2 am

and then sunday I slept all day

so I shall get around to fixing the headcrab and replying asap