PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Dragon Disciple - What level spells can you get ?

Grifthin
2010-06-03, 01:30 AM
So if you have 4 levels of sorceror and 10 levels of dragon disciple, does that mean I can only cast up to level 2 spells ? Or can I use my charisma of 16 and use the DD bonus spells I get to grab a level 3,4,5 spell as well ? Or does it just increase the number of times per day I can cast my second level spells ? I'm a bit confused. Please help.

Optimystik
2010-06-03, 01:36 AM
Your max will be 2nd level. Yes, DD sucks for casters.

Thankfully, the capstone makes you ineligible for the class, creating a paradox that will hopefully convince your DM to let you retrain the levels.

Glimbur
2010-06-03, 01:47 AM
Pathfinder changed up dragon disciple. I'm too lazy to go look at it, but if I recall correctly it's better.

Alternately, dragon disciple is a nice class for a martial character, especially if you're restricted to core. Sorcerer 1 is a fine dip, you can take True Strike (no somatic component) and... silent image? Identify? Ray of Enfeeblement?

gallagher
2010-06-03, 01:49 AM
if you really wanted to go DD, i would suggest taking your required caster class in bard. the rest, take barbarian, and possibly 2 levels of fighter if you really want the feats. otherwise, i would stick with barbarian. you can reign death from above when you get those wings, the breath weapon will help take down a few guys. SLT barbarian would actually do well

Grifthin
2010-06-03, 01:49 AM
Bwuh!? What?

QuantumSteve
2010-06-03, 01:51 AM
DD does, in fact, suck. I assume you have seen this, however:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/dragon-desciple

Hawk7915
2010-06-03, 02:01 AM
To more directly answer your question; yes you are stuck with 2nd level spells, and only a few known at that. Your 16 CHA gives you +1 1st and 2nd level slot per day. 10 levels of DD give you 7 more bonus spell slots, which you may split amongst the spell levels you can cast as you see fit. So you have but 1, maybe 2 2nd level spells known, but could have 11/day. Dragon Disciple is fairly unimpressive at casting (even a delayed entry leaves you with only 5th level spells, +12 BAB, and middle-of-the road HP.

EDIT: How about this for an odd, dragon-themed gish build?

Paladin of Freedom 3/Sorcerer 2/Abjurant Champion 5/Dragon Disciple 10

You end up with 8d10+10d12+2d4 for HD, a +17 BAB, amazing saves, awesome ability scores even without a generous point-buy, immunity to compulsions, diseases, paralysis, and sleep, and a ton of spells per day. You only know a few spells, but with access to 3rd level Arcane magic, you can know all the important ones for a build of this nature anyways (Shield, Haste, Wraithstrike, Whirling Blade) and you can use those slots to power out some Arcane Strikes as well. Not a traditional gish (since it's so spellcasting light) but a good use of DD.

Keld Denar
2010-06-03, 02:16 AM
DragonD actually makes for decent filler at the tail end of a Suel Arcanamach build. Often times, builds go like this:

X6/Suel4/AbjChamp5/Spellsword1/DragonD4
where X is some combination of full BAB classes that meet the skill prereqs.

At that point, you've already capped out Suel casting at 10/10. The 4 levels of DragonD gives you 2 extra 5th level spells per day, the max castable by a Suel. It also gives you a decent boost to Str, Cha, and a spot of NA, all for the cost of 1 BAB. Great trade if you ask me.