PDA

View Full Version : Battle Sorcerer Question

ShadowFighter15
2010-06-03, 03:24 AM
I've joined a game on Myth Weavers and my character's a Battle Sorcerer (although the spell loss has been removed for plot purposes, and possibly because my character's the only full-caster in the party) and me and the DM are debating the Battle Sorcerer's weapon proficiencies. Namely this line:

At 1st level, a battle sorcerer gains proficiency with any light or one-handed martial weapon of the character's choice.

She's reading as proficiency with all light martial weapons and all one-handed martial weapons, whereas I read it as the player chooses one light or one-handed martial weapon and gains proficiency in it, but no other martial weapons without spending a feat.

What's everyone else's opinion on this; do you go with my reading or the DMs? And for those of you wondering why I'm arguing for a limit on my character; she's a sorcerer, how often is she going to be beating someone's brains in herself?

BTW; for those who haven't heard of it; the Battle Sorcerer is a variant in Unearthed Arcana and is on the SRD.

Escheton
2010-06-03, 03:26 AM
yours. It's like the dread necro really.
The only time a proficiency like the dm considers is even remotely used is the warblade who is proficient with melee but not ranged martial weapons.

HunterOfJello
2010-06-03, 03:28 AM
If a DM wants to give you extra weapon proficiencies you just nod your head.

Actual rules only give you proficiency in One Martial Weapon.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-06-03, 09:11 AM
"At 1st level, a battle sorcerer gains proficiency with any light or one-handed martial weapon_ of the character's choice."

If the word 'weapon' was pluralized there, i.e. if there was a letter 's' where I put the _, your DM would be correct. The proficiency granted by that sentence is singular, meaning you only gain proficiency in one weapon.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-03, 09:35 AM
Biff's right. However, it's nowhere near unbalanced for you to have full proficiencies. Proficiencies are a really really poor balancing mechanic, and are instead what I like to call "mechanical fluff".

AstralFire
2010-06-03, 10:10 AM
Biff's right. However, it's nowhere near unbalanced for you to have full proficiencies. Proficiencies are a really really poor balancing mechanic, and are instead what I like to call "mechanical fluff".

This. ishallhavethenumberofcharactersichoose

LibraryOgre
2010-06-03, 03:39 PM
The key bit is "of the character's choice." Combined with the singular "weapon", it's definitely a single proficiency. If the "of the character's choice" line wasn't in there, you'd be golden.

AstralFire
2010-06-03, 04:30 PM
The key bit is "of the character's choice." Combined with the singular "weapon", it's definitely a single proficiency. If the "of the character's choice" line wasn't in there, you'd be golden.

Actually, that's exactly why they're golden.