PDA

View Full Version : Tired of roleplaying...any ideas?

banjo1985
2010-06-03, 05:25 AM
So, for the last twelve months or so I've become progressively more uninspired by the RPG's that I've been playing with my gaming group. We do vary our games quite a bit, but I've still found myself becoming tired of the things we play and unable to summon up the imagination or enthusiasm to create interesting characters. Then without an interesting character that stretches my roleplaying I just find the current games we play even more bland and samey. I've also stopped running any games myself, again due to a lack of any real interest or inspiration.

To try and spur myself to some form of action I've decided that a new game system might be a good investment to try and save the hobby for me, something that's a bit of a departure from the things we've been playing recently. Steampunk and Modern Action/Horror are settings that interests me a good deal, so I was thinking of looking for something in this genre. Thing is, I have no real idea of the quality of the rules systems that are out there, or which one would suit my GMing/playstyle. In a situation such as this I could think of only one place to come for advice, the Playground!

Does anyone know of any good Steam Punk and/or Modern Horror systems that I could look into? If it helps, here's a run-down of what we already play/have access to, and my preferences when it comes to playing/running games:

- I favour storytelling and character development over grinding combat and generic dungeon crawls.
- I'd rather not have to spend a whole night creating characters for a game, sifting through hundreds of statistics and abilities/options.
- I like to play and run with few restrictions and checks of the rules. Keeping the game flowing is more important to me than adhering exactly to the rules.

Games we already play:
- D&D 3.5
- World of Darkness (All varieties)
- Warhammer Fantasy RP
- Savage Worlds
- Call of Cthulhu
- Shadowrun
- Deadlands
- GURPS
- Dr Who (The horror! The horror!)

If anyone has any ideas that might help me get my mojo back it would be very much appreciated. Doesn't neccessarily have to be Modern Horror or Steampunk, I'm willing to take a look at anything. Any way of reviving the hobby for me would be welcomed. :smallsmile:

Thanks in advance.

Amphetryon
2010-06-03, 05:29 AM
Two thoughts:

1) MouseGuard is consistently mentioned as the 'next big thing' in the evolution of RPGs. Give it a look.

2) Have you considered Talisman? Settlers of Kataan? Monopoly? Take a break from RPGs long enough to let your creative juices recharge, then come back to the one(s) that you found you missed the most.

Nidogg
2010-06-03, 05:33 AM
Watch films that you saw when you were younger. Heaven knows most melee charicters I make are either based on the elves from LOTR or everyone in Highlander.

Grifthin
2010-06-03, 05:35 AM
DARK HERESY! DO IT!

ahem. Or Rogue trader. I really like the rule sets, the settings give you ton of versatility to work with and you can have some really CRAZY adventures. And if you don't like it, well that's HERESY *blam shoots OP*

horngeek
2010-06-03, 05:37 AM
Exalted. :smallbiggrin:

Yes, I suggest that whenever someone hasn't already played it, no matter what they were looking for. Unless they're looking for low-powered.

banjo1985
2010-06-03, 05:40 AM
Two thoughts:

1) MouseGuard is consistently mentioned as the 'next big thing' in the evolution of RPGs. Give it a look.

2) Have you considered Talisman? Settlers of Kataan? Monopoly? Take a break from RPGs long enough to let your creative juices recharge, then come back to the one(s) that you found you missed the most.

Hmmm Mouseguard. Haven't heard of that one, to Google! :smallbiggrin:

As for the second part, I've spent the last six months playing 40k, Warmachine, Catan, Carcassonne, Blood Bowl etc in the hope that a break would cure what's ailin'. It hasn't. :smallfrown:

Dark Heresy...the ruleset for 40K roleplaying right? I remember playing that once, it was fun. Might take a look, it almost verges on gritty Cyberpunk I guess.

Exalted.

No mommy, not again! Take the nasty rules away! :smalleek:
On a more serious note, Exalted is something I tried and couldn't really get on with. Too much messing around with working out combo's and abilities.

Totally Guy
2010-06-03, 05:58 AM
I wouldn't say Mouse Guard allows you to put the rules on the back burner.

In most systems where you have a disadvantage or flaw you take it in hope that the area you'd be penalised in doesn't come up very frequently. In Mouse Guard you are rewarded by the the system for making your flaws matter and come to the forefront when it matters most. And to do that you've got to accept that the core mechanics are not something you can homebrew or handwave away casually.

That said most of the rules appear on the character sheet. And the whole thing is very well done. The only system I prefer is the parent system Burning Wheel which is Tolkienesque fantasy. But the rules in that are even more centrally present, so it's probably not ideal for you.

Prime32
2010-06-03, 06:49 AM
Have you considered just playing freeform?

Prodan
2010-06-03, 06:51 AM
You can trust the computer. The computer is your friend. Would you like some cake, citizen?

Knaight
2010-06-03, 07:58 AM
Mentioning the computer outside Alpha Complex is treason. Please report for self termination citizen.

kamikasei
2010-06-03, 08:01 AM
It sounds like you want a rules-light system. You might look at Maid, Fate, or Wushu. Maid in particular, since it completely ridiculous and random, may be a good option for relaxing and avoiding burnout even if it wouldn't suit you for regular play.

Morty
2010-06-03, 08:03 AM
I'd recommend Riddle of Steel, but I'm not sure how well it fits your expectations. It's a low-powered, low-magic and generally low fantasy game that focuses on very realistic, very brutal combat.

kestrel404
2010-06-03, 08:14 AM
Some good ones not on your list (and tending to be character centric):
Nobilis - if you can grok the rules, it is an awesome game. Best attempted with a GM who's already played the game before, though.
In Nomine - Relatively simple, rules light, and lots of fun if you don't take the source material too seriously.
Continuum - Hard to find, but interesting. This game is very character centric, tends to be very player motivated, and has a tendency to cause migraines if you are unable to accept the idea of predestination.

Hope that helps.

alisbin
2010-06-03, 09:16 AM
+1 to any Fate RPG, you can do just about anything with the system and its core concepts are reliant on RP to work.

Cogidubnus
2010-06-03, 09:27 AM
Going back briefly to the idea of taking a break - play something on the computer or a console (please nobody stone me!). You don't have to constantly think about rules, and although it's not exactly freedom on the RPing front, it's a good way to blow off steam. Failing that, +1 to films.

Cyrion
2010-06-03, 09:42 AM
For steampunk, the GURPS steampunk rules and Castle Falkenstein are pretty good.

If you're set on something different from what you've done before, see if you can track down a copy of Space 1899.

For a non-RPG break, try Roborally (preferably old rules) or Killer Bunnies.

Ormagoden
2010-06-03, 10:25 AM
I'm probably going to hear it for this but...

Go LARP, it's awesome. Most LARP clubs allow you your first event free to check it out. Is there a LARP near you? If they don't let you go to the first event free most LARPS let you NPC for free (or a really low fee) then all you have to do is throw 4 pairs of black sweats + socks and undies into backpack and buy a some food and water and head on over.

Dairun Cates
2010-06-03, 10:25 AM
Well. Let's get the obvious one out of the way. Risus.

It's simple, it's free, the rules last a grand total of 10 pages. And yet, there's a beauty to its simplicity. You pick 10 dice worth of cliches that make up your character, roll the number of dice equal to your cliche and start rolling away. Every cliche can attempt anything it just effects the target number (tarzan swings on a rope better than indiana jones better than stephen hawking).

It can be played wacky or serious (although, it's better off comedic). The truth of the matter is, though, it's a good palate cleanser. No worrying about stats or leveling. You just sit back, relax, and enjoy yourself. Have some pretzels and soda with some friends and joke around. Even the GM really just has to know generally where he's going to GM. So, it's low stress for everyone.

And yet. Combat is also fun and creative. Inappropriate cliches actually do more "damage" in combat. So, coming up with creative ways to take down enemies actually works well. It's a more roleplaying style combat, but that also makes it fairly frantic and fast allowing for more really fun combat.

And it's FREE. So, you don't exactly have anything to lose. I mean, if you like it, you can always support the creator and donate 10 bucks to get a 100 page expansion that's more of a fascinating exercise in game theory and GM theory than an actual manual and you could always look up the Uresia setting (although, a world of fallen gods and wandering celebrity warrior chefs probably isn't to your taste).

Whenever I'm burned out with systems and numbers, I always go back to Risus. It really is a magical little game.

Of course, if you want something a bit more substantial and you're not THAT burned out on numbers and leveling...

-The Tri-stat and BESM allow for some fairly flexible creation and both cover steampunk fairly well.

-Paranoia XP is about as Horror as a system gets, but it's also more Orwellian horror. Big brother is watching you and you're going to die... a lot... so much that you have 6 clones. Easy to get into and actually does Player vs. Player better than just about any system out there.

-Contrary to what some people say, I actually like the Serenity system. Combat is extremely deadly, yes, but that's to stress that you should really only be fighting as a last resort, and you better be prepared when you do. All in all though, the dice roll mechanic is interesting and it captures that space old western outlaw feel well.

-Burning Wheel is excellent. You level up skills for using them. So, you're rewarded with experience for playing your character how you want to play them. Of course, if you want more space style, pick up Burning Empires instead. Same system. A few tweaks. Only now in Space. Also, making a character is oddly fast for how complicated it is.

-Mutants and Masterminds will inevitably come up. Of course, it's actually a good system, but it might not be for you if you don't want to be super heroes, secret agents, or anime characters.

-My own homebrew thread, Pirates vs. Ninjas is actually a steampunk setting, and the system's fairly simple (2d6 for all rolls. No stat over 10. Larger armies take penalties. Life fuels abilities. Abilities are everything you can do), and I AM looking for better testers in the future. </self-promotion>

Other than that, I have LOTS of excellent ones to recommend, but they get REALLY specific like In Nomine (a game where you play angels or demons in the fight between heaven and hell WITHOUT mucking up the mortal realm) or Seventh Sea (PIRATES!).

Any of those sound interesting?

I'm probably going to hear it for this but...

Go LARP, it's awesome. Most LARP clubs allow you your first event free to check it out. Is there a LARP near you? If they don't let you go to the first event free most LARPS let you NPC for free (or a really low fee) then all you have to do is throw 4 pairs of black sweats + socks and undies into backpack and buy a some food and water and head on over.

Why would anyone? It's a perfectly valid choice. A bit of work to get out there sometimes, but well worth it if you're near enough to one.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-03, 10:29 AM
I've got to recommend Etherscope (http://www.goodman-games.com/etherscope.html). It's based off of the d20 system, and it's like the bastard child of victorian-age steampunk comingled with The Matrix. If I were to ever try to set a game in Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age or Snow Crash, this is the game I'd use to do it.

kamikasei
2010-06-03, 10:30 AM
-Mutants and Masterminds will inevitably come up. Of course, it's actually a good system, but it might not be for you if you don't want to be super heroes, secret agents, or anime characters.

I'd say the system has a wider breadth than that and normally I'd recommend it, but while the rules don't require constant reference during play, chargen is still an involved process with a huge number of options to weigh and compare and choose between. Probably not suitable, based on the OP.

Ormagoden
2010-06-03, 10:30 AM
LARPing can really amp you up too.

Sure you're 10th level ranger isn't going to run from 4 goblins but you sure will when your low on HP at a LARP.

And let me tell you nothing like getting chased by a pack of goblins through the woods to get the heart racing!
(Or chasing a player through the woods MWAAAA HAAAA HAAAAA)

Ruinix
2010-06-03, 10:32 AM
7šth sea. nice for performe total awesome stuns and moves and everything it come from imagination "alejandro dumas" style.

Pendragon! it has an awesome of chivaldric achivements and personal traits.

Dairun Cates
2010-06-03, 10:36 AM
I'd say the system has a wider breadth than that and normally I'd recommend it, but while in play the rules don't require constant reference chargen is an involved process with a huge number of options to weigh and compare and choose between. Probably not suitable, based on the OP.

It's true. It really is. M&M is INCREDIBLY flexible without losing cohesiveness, but my favorite opinion is the right system for the right job.

You can handle other things, but those are really the 3 things it does really well in my opinion. It's designed for super powered characters and it does that well. Anything else, I typically prefer other systems focused on the idea you want to play. Kinda like how d20 Modern CAN do Super Heroes but I'd rather play M&M for that. I'd prefer d20 for apocalyptic normies with mutations than M&M.

Still, it handles itself well, and I'd be lying if I didn't say I didn't own multiple books for it. So, I DO whole-heartedly recommend it.

Amphetryon
2010-06-03, 10:38 AM
Pendragon! it has an awesome of chivaldric achivements and personal traits.Not to mention the fun of watching your entire party TPK themselves while dismounting from horseback... :smallannoyed:

Dairun Cates
2010-06-03, 10:38 AM
I'd say the system has a wider breadth than that and normally I'd recommend it, but while in play the rules don't require constant reference chargen is an involved process with a huge number of options to weigh and compare and choose between. Probably not suitable, based on the OP.

It's true. It really is. M&M is INCREDIBLY flexible without losing cohesiveness, but my favorite opinion is the right system for the right job.

You can handle other things, but those are really the 3 things it does really well in my opinion. It's designed for super powered characters and it does that well. Anything else, I typically prefer other systems focused on the idea you want to play. Kinda like how d20 Modern CAN do Super Heroes but I'd rather play M&M for that. I'd prefer d20 for apocalyptic normies with mutations than M&M.

Still, it handles itself well, and I'd be lying if I didn't say I didn't own multiple books for it. So, I DO whole-heartedly recommend it.

EDIT:

I've got to recommend Etherscope (http://www.goodman-games.com/etherscope.html). It's based off of the d20 system, and it's like the bastard child of victorian-age steampunk comingled with The Matrix. If I were to ever try to set a game in Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age or Snow Crash, this is the game I'd use to do it.

And damn it, Fax. Leave it up to you to list the one system on this list I'm NOT incredibly familiar with.

Kyeudo
2010-06-03, 10:45 AM
Well, if you want steampunk, what immediately jumps to mind is a game of Exalted with everyone playing Alchemicals, but that has a rather high entry cost.

You'd need:
the Exalted core book
the Manual of Exalted Powers:Alchemicals
and probably Wonders of the Lost Age

However, nothing says steampunk like magical communist cyborgs living on Cybertron and trying to save it from gremlins and mechanical cancer.

Dairun Cates
2010-06-03, 10:47 AM
Well, if you want steampunk, what immediately jumps to mind is a game of Exalted with everyone playing Alchemicals, but that has a rather high entry cost.

You'd need:
the Exalted core book
the Manual of Exalted Powers:Alchemicals
and probably Wonders of the Lost Age

However, nothing says steampunk like magical communist cyborgs living on Cybertron and trying to save it from gremlins and mechanical cancer.

*cough cough*

No mommy, not again! Take the nasty rules away! :smalleek:
On a more serious note, Exalted is something I tried and couldn't really get on with. Too much messing around with working out combo's and abilities.

Somehow I don't think this one will work.

Forever Curious
2010-06-03, 10:49 AM
I've heard FATAL's a pretty good game system...

kamikasei
2010-06-03, 10:49 AM
You can handle other things, but those are really the 3 things it does really well in my opinion. It's designed for super powered characters and it does that well.

I agree with that. Perhaps it's just that I don't regard "super heroes" and "super powered characters" as close to synonyms. It's not a great system for mostly mundane characters, but nor does it come with a spandex suit.

jiriku
2010-06-03, 10:51 AM
Legend of the Five Rings, by AEG, is intensely focused on roleplaying and is very rules-light, with an elegant resolution mechanic.

If you're open to considering something a little further off the RPG path, check our Fantasy Flight Games (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/). They make board games and card games for gamers: I'm not talking about Monopoly or Pinochle or any of your grandparent's games here: they have games based on Cthulhu, Game of Thrones, Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, and of course their flagship game is the incredibly badass Twilight Imperium. These are games for gamers.

Comet
2010-06-03, 10:55 AM
Spirit of the Century. When you need to fistfight nazi wizards on the wing of an airplane, no system serves you better. It's fast, elegant and handles adventures in the spirit of the old pulp action stories nearly perfectly.
Definetly something to look into.

Ormagoden
2010-06-03, 12:22 PM

Yeah it's great! +1 to FATAL
You're a mean person! and so am I.

Kurald Galain
2010-06-03, 12:32 PM
-Paranoia XP is about as Horror as a system gets, but it's also more Orwellian horror. Big brother is watching you and you're going to die... a lot... so much that you have 6 clones. Easy to get into and actually does Player vs. Player better than just about any system out there.

This. It also works excellent as an "anti-RPG", by parodying whatever RPG conventions you're tired of at the moment, and letting you shoot them. With lasers!

Kuma Da
2010-06-03, 12:44 PM
Did...did people just recommend FATAL? :smalleek:

That aside, I think the major thing you need to consider here is your influences. When I'm completely stuck for inspiration as a writer, I go out and eat a new food, see a new movie, read a new author, or try a new hobby. It doesn't make for a guaranteed refresh, but it does help.

Just trying to grind away at gaming isn't a good idea. "I used to enjoy this thing a lot, and I don't now, so obviously I just need keep at it," is a flawed philosophy. My second suggestion is to pull back a little. Take a break. Gaming will still be there when you get back.

Finally, if you're dead-set on just changing systems: Dread, Window, Delta Green, the other Dread, Geiger Counter, Dogs in the Vineyard, Eclipse Phase, Insylum, Nemesis, Danse Macabre, All Flesh Must Be Eaten.

Dogs in the Vineyard isn't a horror system, but deserves honorary mention for the way it handles interpersonal relationships and drama. Plus, it can be converted to handle just about any small-town drama extremely easily.

Heliomance
2010-06-03, 01:08 PM

You are an evil evil person.

TheThan
2010-06-03, 01:15 PM
Have you considered Talisman? Settlers of Kataan? Monopoly? Take a break from RPGs long enough to let your creative juices recharge, then come back to the one(s) that you found you missed the most.

this is what i was going to suggest. play some board games, card games, miniature games or hold a movie night or break out the X-box and play some super street fighter IV.

simply taking a break for a bit can be all you need to recharge.

Renchard
2010-06-03, 01:16 PM
Spirit of the Century. When you need to fistfight nazi wizards on the wing of an airplane, no system serves you better. It's fast, elegant and handles adventures in the spirit of the old pulp action stories nearly perfectly.
Definetly something to look into.
Piggybacking on the FATE system suggestion, the Dresden Files RPG comes out in about a month, and looks awesome.

Petrankov
2010-06-03, 01:18 PM
For modern horror if you can find it, try Kult. Great game though I am not sure it is still in print.

Bakkan
2010-06-03, 01:30 PM
+1 Serenity

It's true that the system can get a little confusing because of some poor editing, but this actually shouldn't be an issue in a group that's willing to handwave a little bit. Character creation is based on a point-buy system, however unlike other point-buy system, you don't have hundreds of choices to make. There are 6 abilities, about a dozen skills (with specialties), and Assets and Flaws you can take. I found it a very fun experience to play.

obliged_salmon
2010-06-03, 02:14 PM
I would say check out Burning Wheel, not necessarily for the system, but for some of the ideas they present. Take a look at the forums and the wiki and see if talk about beliefs instincts and traits, and other concepts doesn't pique your interest.

Also, Dread sounds like it'd be up your alley. It's horror with a simple yet effective tension-building resolution mechanic - essentially you play Jenga as the game progresses, and when the tower falls...character death.

Maerok
2010-06-03, 02:24 PM
Some good ones not on your list (and tending to be character centric):
Nobilis - if you can grok the rules, it is an awesome game. Best attempted with a GM who's already played the game before, though.

Well, really Nobilis doesn't have that complex a set of rules. The meat of it could fit on far fewer pages. And Auctoritas/Penetration is hard to comprehend at first. I think it's all the fluff that'll overwhelm new players.

Plus it takes an experienced GM to really make the game work to its potential. A new GM would best be left working a smaller, more modest game at first.

But AFAIK the book isn't really in circulation any more (does that justify seeking out a PDF online?). The author has released at least two expansions for it as free PDFs.

randomhero00
2010-06-03, 02:24 PM
You don't need a new system you need a break. Everyone needs one eventually. Take one, simple as that.

Now the not so simple part; figuring out a new hobby to fill in the new time.

Moose Fisher
2010-06-03, 02:30 PM
+1 Paranoia (Formerly Paranoia XP)

The rules can be as light or as cluttered as you want. Everything beyond the pure core (low is good, high is bad, try to get under a certain score with a d20) of the game are suggestions, and you can ignore the core rules for whatever you feel is best.

The most important thing is to have fun. The GM places characters in situations, and the players are to be let off the leash so they can entertain and plot against one another.

There are 3 playstyles. One is pure zaniness and freeform pretending to have rules, the other has limits but handles everything in a tongue-in-cheek manner, and the final one is if you want to RP in a serious Orwellian dystopia utopia. Hail Friend Computer!

banjo1985
2010-06-04, 04:07 AM
Thaks for the various ideas guys. I also hear what you're saying about taking a break, which I have already done to some extent. I only roleplay once a week anyway, and I have several other hobbies, both gaming and non-gaming related that keep me occupied. I've spent the last 6 weeks playing Fable 2. :smalltongue:

Of the suggestions I think I'll have a look into Burning Wheel, Dread and Etherscope as the descriptions particularly pique my interest.

Originally posted by Renchard
Piggybacking on the FATE system suggestion, the Dresden Files RPG comes out in about a month, and looks awesome.

:eek::eek::eek: Dresden Files RPG?!
You sir, have made me a happy panda. I've just started the Dresden Files books and thought the setting would make a fun RPG.

Totally Guy
2010-06-04, 08:32 AM
Of the suggestions I think I'll have a look into Burning Wheel

That's a hard path to walk but in my case has been ultimately worthwhile. :smile:

There will be challenges.

Edit: If you read it and start to think "Gee, this guy must have been seriously wronged by a GM in the past." understand that the guy's actually describing his own past self. :tongue:

Knaight
2010-06-04, 10:03 AM
Honestly, I never got that feel from reading it when I did. There is a lot about the design in BW that I disagree with, but I don't feel that it cripples GM ability at all. Let it Ride, for instance, is sensible design as far as I'm concerned, and there are a lot of other things to like about it. The combat system is brilliant (Fight!, not the simple one), the shades system is a really good idea, and advancement isn't bad.

As for actual warnings. That book needed heavy editing, it is written in a way that makes it far harder to understand than it has any right to be, to the point where you really do need to read it all the way through twice to have a solid grasp on the rules. Analogies drawn to some guy explaining his game over a few beers (and after he is a few beers in) are completely fair.

Bonecrusher Doc
2010-06-04, 01:27 PM
My crowd enjoys Citadels, Munchkin, and Settlers of Cataan.

I really really want to like Serenity but after flipping pages of the book forever there's still some stuff I don't understand. I know it's supposed to be pretty simple but I still can't run a combat scene. I just need somebody to show me once. (not hijacking thread, PM me if you can help!)

Malificus
2010-06-04, 01:40 PM
Real men play RIFTS.

Play a S.D.C. campaign and deal with the knowledge that anything can and will kill you the second you leave your armor.

I'd suggest trying to get any books you can about the southwest (like New West, Vampire Kingdoms, Arzno, and Spirit West).

cattoy
2010-06-04, 01:43 PM
Try gaming with new people.

subject42
2010-06-04, 01:47 PM
Play Human Occupied Landfill for three full sessions after character generation.

Either you'll enjoy the randomness or you'll run screaming back to the comfort of D&D.

On a more serious note, take a look at "All Flesh Must Be Eaten". It's Zombie Survival Horror, with dice.

Umael
2010-06-04, 02:46 PM
Take a break.

If role-playing games are causing a burn-out, why on earth would you try MORE role-playing? That's like treating a burn wound with hot water.

As a sidenote, my gaming group gets together roughly twice every week - but we only RP three of those times. The fourth is for hanging out, playing board games, etc.

It helps.

RelentlessImp
2010-06-04, 03:22 PM
Play Paranoia, citizen. To do otherwise is TREASON.

Petrankov
2010-06-04, 03:28 PM
I will second "All Flesh Must Be Eaten", great game. The system seemed fairly straightforward (from what I remember mostly I just remember running:smallsmile:).

Amphetryon
2010-06-04, 03:46 PM
Take a break.

If role-playing games are causing a burn-out, why on earth would you try MORE role-playing? That's like treating a burn wound with hot water.

As a sidenote, my gaming group gets together roughly twice every week - but we only RP three of those times. The fourth is for hanging out, playing board games, etc.

It helps.
:smallconfused: The third and fourth of the two gatherings you make per week?

Delwugor
2010-06-04, 04:10 PM
I sometimes feel like a break is needed from the traditional gaming we do. What I'd love to play is something so outrageously wacky that it could only lead to fun.

System: Risus
Genre: Modern
Setting: Hollywood
Game: Dueling Beauty Shops of Rodeo Drive

Umael
2010-06-04, 05:29 PM
:smallconfused: The third and fourth of the two gatherings you make per week?

*sigh*

Okay, badly communicated.

Our schedule is bi-weekly, two get togethers per week, four for the fortnight, one of which is just to hang-out, the other three for gaming.

Sindri
2010-06-04, 05:41 PM
+1 to Serenity, or if the setting is the problem you could use the generic version, the Cortex system. It's relatively rules-lite, would work well with Steampunk if that's what you're looking for, character generation is fairly easy, and roleplaying is mandated.

DeMouse
2010-06-05, 01:14 AM
permit breaking of the 4th wall by the charter designs or jsut have a joke compagn.

stuff like make it so the if your character believes somthing to be true then it is, so you roll bluff checks aginst yourself to allow you to fly.

might be hard to convince ur DM since it would be alot of work to allow charaters with funny perks to be balanced.

Twilight_Crow
2010-06-05, 01:37 PM
If you really want a different flavor, try Nobilis. Among other things, it's diceless, requires an entirely different mindset, and breaks from the usual smash 'n grab mentality of most RPGs

----------------
Now playing: Machinae Supremacy - I Know The Reaper (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/machinae+supremacy/track/i+know+the+reaper)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

Trog
2010-06-05, 03:49 PM
D&D 4th Edition. It's a different version of a game already on your list. :smallsmile:

There always seems to be a lot of negative thoughts out there from gamers on 4e which, to a group of people (gamers, nerds, geeks, etc.) that rapidly embraces, say, new technology and the like easily, always seemed to me to be an attitude that I find very... contradictory. :smallconfused:

:smallbiggrin: Give it a try, it's fun (and feel free to ignore skill challenges if they bother you - the game functions just fine without them, trust me).

Jokasti
2010-06-05, 03:55 PM
Exalted: Alchemicals, if no ones mentioned it yet.

Angrist
2010-06-05, 10:50 PM
If you really want to shake things up, try DM'ing it gives you a whole new perspective. As for games, I would say "Iron Kingdoms" the rules are D20 with some D20 modern thrown in, it doesn't always work well but the fluff is AWESOME.

valadil
2010-06-05, 11:12 PM
So, for the last twelve months or so I've become progressively more uninspired by the RPG's that I've been playing with my gaming group.

That happens to me periodically. I find that taking 3-6 months off from RPGs is a good cure. I'm in need of such a break right now, but am involved in 3 games and running a 4th, so it may not happen soon.

GMing can stave off some of the RP fatigue. Or playing if you regularly GM. I find the two are different enough activities that switching places is a refreshing break without having to step aside from the game table.

Satyr
2010-06-06, 09:18 AM
Probably the first idea is to get a bit more distance to it. The way it sounds, your group's frequency of games can become a bit overkill, so this would probably the first idea what to change.
The next thing is to find other people, other concepts or ideas to play around with. Shuffle up the routine. Perhaps trying a genre of gaming form which differs from what you've played before, find a bit new blood to play with, shift the focus of the campaign, something like that to break the patterns which have come to a grind. Shift the paradigm a bit.
Thus, I would suggest a more unusual game than the usual suspects; perhaps Pendragon with a strong focus on dynasty building (don't play a character, play a noble house), or Nobilis (which is indeed a bit strange, but beautiful), or Trail of Cthulhu (which is basically a resource management based game... it takes some time to wrap the head around it, but it works surprisingly well).
My personal favorite would probably be Unknown Armies which is an awesome game in itself, but also includes many, many very short plot ideas which at least I find quite inspiring to do something with, like

There is a cult in California who've found a way of crossing Voudoun with The Picture of Dorian Grey. They stay the most beautiful of the beautiful people while a village in Kansas gets steadily uglier.
and a very strong focus on consequences of personal actions and the like. It's a very good written game.

Prodan
2010-06-06, 09:22 AM
If role-playing games are causing a burn-out, why on earth would you try MORE role-playing?

Maybe it's a homeopathic thing?