PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Is there a property that can be added to make exotic weapon usable

Chells
2010-06-03, 09:36 AM
Is there a magical property that can be added to make a weapon weildy by someone who does not have the feat/proficency to use the weapon. If so what is it called and what is the +? Thanks

Claudius Maximus
2010-06-03, 09:40 AM
Skillful (+2) from Complete Arcane does it. It can also improve your BAB if it's low.

gallagher
2010-06-03, 09:40 AM
What exotic weapon is worth spending a feat on, besides the spike chain? And if you are using that, you are either a chain tripper and hav the extra feat, or have the BAB to suck up the -4 penalty

jiriku
2010-06-03, 09:44 AM
I'm fond of the goliath greathammer, especially for large-sized bruisers or characters with powerful build.
I know some people swear by the fullblade, although I don't care for it personally.
The gnome quickrazor offers some unique options with the Iaijutsu skill that you can't get anywhere else.
The elven courtblade offers an interesting build option, as it is the only finessable two-handed weapon other than the spiked chain, and deals considerably more damage with a better crit rating than the chain.

Optimystik
2010-06-03, 09:44 AM
What exotic weapon is worth spending a feat on, besides the spike chain?

Kusarigama :smalltongue:

Isn't there a weapon material that needs an extra EWP to use? Kaorti Resin or somesuch. So a Kaorti Resin Spiked Chain would need two EWPs, or one plus the property here.

Chells
2010-06-03, 09:45 AM
Actually the weapon is not worth it from a purely numbers viewpoint. I'm the DM and have an idea for a fun weapon they will find. I want it to be something odd but don't want to make it useless.

Rothen
2010-06-03, 09:47 AM
The elven courtblade offers an interesting build option, as it is the only finessable two-handed weapon other than the spiked chain, and deals considerably more damage with a better crit rating than the chain.

I personally love the courtblade when I'm making a DEX-based character that can hold its own in melee.

Greenish
2010-06-03, 09:47 AM
What exotic weapon is worth spending a feat on, besides the spike chain?Meteor Hammer.

Isn't there a weapon material that needs an extra EWP to use? Kaorti Resin or somesuch. So a Kaorti Resin Spiked Chain would need two EWPs, or one plus the property here.By a rather cheesy reading, you only need a single EWP to wield a Kaorti Resin weapon, regardless of what the weapon made from the demon palm-sweat is.

jiriku
2010-06-03, 09:53 AM
Ooo, good point about the kaorti resin, Optimystik. I'm AFB, but this wizards web supplement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) seems to imply that making a weapon from resin simply turns it into an exotic weapon. Thus, the best weapons to make from resin would be weapons with large crit ranges and poor crit modifiers that are already exotic weapons.

A kaorti resin elven courtblade would be a brutal weapon: 18-20/x4 critical range.

Kaorti resin arrowheads on an exotic bow would be pretty nice.

There are a lot of monk weapons that become significantly better if made from kaorti resin, but I'm not sure the monk's class proficiency with monk weapons would cover weapons made from resin. Given the monk's overall low power level and heavy reliance on unarmed attacks, I don't think it would hurt anything to let it apply.

Edit:

By a rather cheesy reading, you only need a single EWP to wield a Kaorti Resin weapon, regardless of what the weapon made from the demon palm-sweat is.

Yes, it's a cheesy reading. But it's tasty cheese!

Greenish
2010-06-03, 10:00 AM
A kaorti resin elven courtblade would be a brutal weapon: 18-20/x4 critical range.Elves, eww. (Keen) Ribbon Great Falchion, however… :smallcool:

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-03, 10:12 AM
I know I've seen a list of weapons worth taking EWP for. Maybe in the handbook section of BG.

gallagher
2010-06-03, 10:22 AM
I realize that this goes against what I said before, but I forgot about the liberal readin of kaorti resin. I currently have a character who weilds a kaorti resin large keen jovar (thanks to strongarm bracers)
Ooo, good point about the kaorti resin, Optimystik. I'm AFB, but this wizards web supplement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) seems to imply that making a weapon from resin simply turns it into an exotic weapon. Thus, the best weapons to make from resin would be weapons with large crit ranges and poor crit modifiers that are already exotic weapons.

A kaorti resin elven courtblade would be a brutal weapon: 18-20/x4 critical range.

Kaorti resin arrowheads on an exotic bow would be pretty nice.

There are a lot of monk weapons that become significantly better if made from kaorti resin, but I'm not sure the monk's class proficiency with monk weapons would cover weapons made from resin. Given the monk's overall low power level and heavy reliance on unarmed attacks, I don't think it would hurt anything to let it apply.

Edit:

Yes, it's a cheesy reading. But it's tasty cheese!

Person_Man
2010-06-03, 10:34 AM
What exotic weapon is worth spending a feat on, besides the spike chain? And if you are using that, you are either a chain tripper and hav the extra feat, or have the BAB to suck up the -4 penalty

Here you go (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5266526). This linked to list includes many things that are situationally useful even though they're not worth spending a feat on, because Master of Masks and Binder can gain access to every Exotic weapon, and you can also pull slightly less efficient versions of the same build off with Warblade, Chameleon, or the Heroics spell. But for the right builds I'd be willing to spend a feat on the Boomerang, Braid Blade, Drow Scorpion Chain, Flindbar, Harpoon, Kaorti, Pincer Staff, Ritiik, Spinning Sword, or Yuan-Ti Serpent Bow. Questions?

Darrin
2010-06-03, 10:13 PM
Skillful property... ugh... way too expensive. I'd rather have that +2 enhancement doing something else other than negating a -4 proficiency penalty.

Somewhat cheaper, you can add a Wand Chamber (Dungeonscape) for 100 GP, and add a Wand of Master's Touch for 750 GP. Swift action to activate, lasts 1 minute.

Something else to consider: a use-activated or continuous wondrous item of Master's Touch would only cost about 2000-4000 GP, based on the guidelines in the DMG.