PDA

View Full Version : IrelandITP? (Possible meetup)

Prime32
2010-06-03, 10:34 AM
I've seen a few <Country>ITP threads and was suddenly curious how many Irish posters there are.

And no, having Irish ancestors doesn't count, so cut it out.* :smallannoyed: I'm looking for people who are Irish citizens and/or live in Ireland.

* There are 6 million people in Ireland, and 80 million people who claim to have Irish heritage.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-06-03, 10:38 AM
*Insert rule about only continent threads, rather than threads about individual countries, being allowed here*

Anyway, I am one of those people; my paternal grandmother was from Northern Ireland.

Prime32
2010-06-03, 10:41 AM
*Insert rule about only continent threads, rather than threads about individual countries, being allowed here*I've seen UK threads. :smallconfused: Note that I said "Ireland", which is an island, rather than "Republic of Ireland", which is a country. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/Ireland)

Nameless
2010-06-03, 10:49 AM
I've seen UK threads. :smallconfused: Note that I said "Ireland", which is an island, rather than "Republic of Ireland", which is a country. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/Ireland)

Yes, and that UK thread which I made was then later turned into a Europe thread after the rule was made. :smalltongue:

Prime32
2010-06-03, 10:52 AM
Yes, and that UK thread which I made was then later turned into a Europe thread after the rule was made. :smalltongue:And yet meetup threads can still be country-specific or moreso... :smallconfused: Part of the reason for this thread was curiosity on whether such a meetup would be possible.

I could also point to this (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WithEuropeButNotOfIt). The culture of the British Isles is rather different from mainland Europe, and Ireland and the UK have better relationships with each other than with countries on the continent (I think the Scandinavian countries have a similar situation, but don't quote me). I'm sure I've seen threads for different regions of the United States, and the physical distance here is larger (and with nothing in the middle).

Nameless
2010-06-03, 10:56 AM
And yet meetup threads can still be country-specific or moreso... :smallconfused: Part of the reason for this thread was curiosity on whether such a meetup would be possible.

If you want to organise a meet-up in Ireland, then it should be titled “Ireland Meet-up” (or something along those lines) and the main discussion should be about organising it. However, general threads about specific countries are against the rules I believe. :P

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-06-03, 11:06 AM
I could also point to this (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WithEuropeButNotOfIt). The culture of the British Isles is rather different from mainland Europe. I'm sure I've seen threads for different parts of the United States, and the physical distance here is larger (and with nothing in the middle).

That is precisely the argument I used at the time. Nevertheless, I was overridden.

Nameless
2010-06-03, 11:13 AM
I could also point to this (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WithEuropeButNotOfIt). The culture of the British Isles is rather different from mainland Europe. I'm sure I've seen threads for different regions of the United States, and the physical distance here is larger (and with nothing in the middle).

While that is true on some level, the culture between, let's say, Spain and Norway are also very different. In fact, parts within the UK itself are all very different and both those countries are in main-land Europe. And while I can see why it might be better to have threads about countries rather then threads about continents, it wouldn't really work. I mean, could you imagine how many country threads there would be? The rule doesn’t exists to separate cultures, it exists so that the board won’t be spammed with country threads. Maybe the rule needs to be changed a bit. Maybe instead of continents, you can have regions. Such as Scandinavia, British Isles, Arabia, Far East etc. But that's not up to us and at the end of the day, I was only mentioning what the rule was, not enforcing it. :smalltongue:

Pyrian
2010-06-03, 11:20 AM
How about solar systems? Anybody here from Alpha Centauri? No? Aw, man, I'm always alone...

KuReshtin
2010-06-03, 11:33 AM
If there's an IrelanditP meet-up, let me know when and where you're planning it and I'll try to make it there.

I'm going to make damn sure to try and make it to as many X-itP Meet-ups at least once.

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-03, 03:45 PM
How about solar systems? Anybody here from Alpha Centauri? No? Aw, man, I'm always alone...

I have Centauri ancestore, but apparently that doesn't count according to the OP :smallannoyed: :smallwink:

Pyrian
2010-06-03, 03:53 PM
Heheh! I have to sympathize, though. I mean, I have ancestors all over Europe (yes, including Ireland), and have friends who have ancestors all over the world. We all come from the same stock if you go back far enough, I suppose...

Deth Muncher
2010-06-03, 03:56 PM
I miss Ireland. D: It's not like I'd be able to go if there was one, but apparently I can have a place at KuReshtin's house. :P

Dallas-Dakota
2010-06-03, 04:11 PM
If there's an IrelanditP meet-up, let me know when and where you're planning it and I'll try to make it there.

I'm going to make damn sure to try and make it to as many X-itP Meet-ups at least once.
I'd say ''you should go to the next dutch meet-up'', but really, I don't think anybody from the dutch meet-up crowd except me are still in the playground. :smallfrown:

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-03, 04:12 PM
I'd say ''you should go to the next dutch meet-up'', but really, I don't think anybody from the dutch meet-up crowd except me are still in the playground. :smallfrown:

You'll have to emigrate to a more Playgrounder filled nation.

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-03, 04:46 PM

Actually, yes. I guess we're the only two people out here.
-Xavez

KuReshtin
2010-06-03, 05:33 PM

I already planned on that, but the Dutch meetup this year seemed to fizzle out into nothingness.

Serpentine
2010-06-04, 09:54 AM
Not enough Australians within 6 hours of each other to warrant a meet-up v.v Maybe in Melbourne, but I think half of them are living together.

RationalGoblin
2010-06-04, 10:04 AM
I have an Irish last name, but am entirely descended from Germans (and one English, along with one French Canadian family line). Do I count as Irish? :smalltongue:

Maltore
2010-06-04, 05:08 PM
I'm belgian, I grew up in Germany, I have both french and dutch ancestors and I'm currently living in Dublin. If you organise an Ireland meetup, I'd like to come :smallsmile:

TheThan
2010-06-04, 05:18 PM
You'll have to emigrate to a more Playgrounder filled nation.

The playground seems to be filled with mostly folk from the USA, England and Australia. So predominantly English speaking nations, though other nationalities are welcome, just FYI in case anyone's considering emigration.

Legend has it I have an Irish and Scottish background, Scottish on my dad’s side, and Irish on my mom’s side,but being an American (grade A, #1 USDA choice), it doesn't really matter.

Samurai Jill
2010-06-05, 04:16 AM
The playground seems to be filled with mostly folk from the USA, England and Australia. So predominantly English speaking nations...
Virtually everyone in Ireland speaks English as a first language.

_Zoot_
2010-06-05, 04:30 AM

I think that I have a cousin from around there, but haven't seen him in quite a while...

Jimp
2010-06-05, 07:51 AM
I'm in Cork if that's helpful. There are a few other Irish posters though how many actively use this section of the forum is another question.

Gaelbert
2010-06-06, 02:12 PM
* There are 6 million people in Ireland, and 80 million people who claim to have Irish heritage.

That shouldn't be surprising if you take a look at the Irish emigration rate over the past few centuries. I'm surprised there's anyone left in Ireland, to be perfectly honest.

Erts
2010-06-06, 05:29 PM
That shouldn't be surprising if you take a look at the Irish emigration rate over the past few centuries. I'm surprised there's anyone left in Ireland, to be perfectly honest.

Yeah, in the Great Potato Famine, more people left Ireland than people were left in Ireland by the end of it.