PDA

View Full Version : Shifter Half-Vampire Moonspeaker? <3.5 Eberron>

Machiavellian
2010-06-03, 11:29 AM
Shifters are the children of Werewolves (essentially) and Half-Vamps are the children of Vampires (duh). However:

1. Would a Shifter Half-Vampire be even plausible (by D&D Biology)

2. Would Moonspeaker be a good PrC for this combination if it is plausibe

3. How could this be optimized (I retired from playing and am now a full-time optimizer)

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-03, 11:40 AM
ok

1)By RAW Shifters are only immune to lycanthropy, not to vampirisim so it is allowed.

2)I am AFB but IIRC Moonspeaker is one of the few good Druid Prg class, so I would say yes, the only problem is the crippling LA of half vampire (+2) in an spellcasting build, never the less if we put LA buy-off in the table I believe it is a flavorful and powerful concept.

3) Optimize it like a druid (AKA taking Natural Spell and having a good AC)

Machiavellian
2010-06-03, 11:51 AM
ok

1)By RAW Shifters are only immune to lycanthropy, not to vampirisim so it is allowed.

2)I am AFB but IIRC Moonspeaker is one of the few good Druid Prg class, so I would say yes, the only problem is the crippling LA of half vampire (+2) in an spellcasting build, never the less if we put LA buy-off in the table I believe it is a flavorful and powerful concept.

3) Optimize it like a druid (AKA taking Natural Spell and having a good AC)

The kid wants to use the Half-Vampire's Children of the Night in combo with his Animal Companion (DM's letting him have a Worg) to have rats, bats, and wolves backing up his Shifted Primordial form, whatever it may be.

DM is letting him have 1 LA at level 1, then buyoff table kicks in.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-03, 11:53 AM
Then I see no problem, as I said I quite like this concept

Machiavellian
2010-06-03, 12:48 PM
Then I see no problem, as I said I quite like this concept

So, with the "Flavor" of being the "Fabled Hybrid," what good feats (minus Primiordial Wildshape) should I advise him to use?

Person_Man
2010-06-03, 02:08 PM
1) Yes, it could be done. But assuming Crystalkeep isn't lying to me, the Half Vampire template grants some minor stat bumps and special abilities, and is certainly not worth the +2 level adjustment that it costs. I would just ask the DM if you can play a Shifter and roleplay the vampire heritage thing.

2) Moonspeaker is a weird 12 level PrC that provides full divine caster and Wild Shape progression plus a variety of moderate perks related to Summoning and Shifting. You give up your Animal Companion progression, Venom Immunity, A Thousand Faces, and Timeless Body. So you're not really gaining or losing that much for taking it.

3) Other then to suggest taking Ragewild Fighter (a Shifter feat that lets you Daze your enemy), there's not much advice I have to offer. Even with LA buyoff, the template nerfs your spell and Wildshape progression, and the template doesn't really have any synergy with the PrC. But it's still essentially a Druid, and thus will be a Tier 1 or 2ish build regardless. There's no real optimization trick to playing CoDzilla. Wildshape into something strong, buff yourself with magic, and spontaneously Summon for battlefield control as needed.

Thurbane
2010-06-03, 09:36 PM
You might want to look into the Tomb Tainted line of feats in Libris Mortis to represent the Vampire side of the characters physiology...

Also, Wild Cohort (WotC online) to grab a second lupine ally...

Machiavellian
2010-06-04, 12:56 PM
You might want to look into the Tomb Tainted line of feats in Libris Mortis to represent the Vampire side of the characters physiology...

Also, Wild Cohort (WotC online) to grab a second lupine ally...

Maybe. Definately taking Mother Cyst for the bonus spells.

Plus, I get 1 free LA, so basically those stat bumps are for 1LA. Well worth it.