PDA

View Full Version : My teachers cool or what?

Demons_eye
2010-06-03, 12:54 PM
As a graduation gift my Newspaper/English 12 teacher gave me the complete Mr. Hero comic by Neil Gaiman. My Drama teacher gave me a signed copy of American Born Chinese with the a drawing of monkey and a quote saying "Adam- You have the coolest teacher ever. Give her lots of money."

This made my year. :smallbiggrin:

Also anyone else have cool teachers?

Sneak
2010-06-03, 01:05 PM
My English teacher last year was drew this (http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2599/135/100/1051450084/n1051450084_373848_5095791.jpg) on the board after we read this poem. (http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/thesaurus/) Also, she was just generally insane. Sadly, she left to go to grad school.

My current English teacher listens to Girl Talk, which I personally find highly amusing.

Jokasti
2010-06-03, 01:22 PM
Lets see...

K-8 Gifted teachers were awesome. I got to skip (boring) class to do puzzles with my friends.
8th grade Language Arts "coach". We had word-a-days and crosswords, and logic puzzles. Sweet class.
8th grade World Geography teacher, Mr. Drinkwine. I went on to 11th place in State for the Geography Bee.
10th grade Computer teacher. Nuff said.

Adumbration
2010-06-03, 02:36 PM
Well, we did have a crazy old lady for a maths teacher. She was a bloody good teacher, cheerful, insanely religious, meddling, sarcastic and helpful.

We were her favorite class, probably because so many of us were talented and motivated at maths. We had a lot of average to good (including me), as well as a few great ones that really excelled. It was loads of fun. (The year we graduated, our school - meaning our class - was graded the best of middle-sized schools at mathematics.)

Eldan
2010-06-03, 02:43 PM
You get gifts on graduation? Damn. We got a handshake.

Erloas
2010-06-03, 03:09 PM
Eh, its really uncommon for schools of any reasonable size. Teachers don't get paid enough to give each of their kids something every year, they wouldn't have anything left. They probably have 6-8 classes a year with 20-40 people per class and teach 30+ years, thats an amazing number of students.

Of course when I graduated from college one of our teachers took us out to dinner. It was also a special occasion because it was her first graduation class (at least at this college), and it was the first class to graduate with that degree (it was newly started and we were her first students for every one of the classes she had started) and there were only about a dozen of us.

Vorpalbob
2010-06-03, 03:24 PM
The two best teachers I ever had were both English teachers.

The Calder, as we called her, taught English, PE, and Drama. Last year, I had her for all three. Best school year of my life. :smallbiggrin: she just had this energy, and she knew her class from day 1. She knew our moods, and she knew everything that happened in the school. When my best friend got a girlfriend she knew before I did.

The other teacher my friend and I call the Crazy Cult Lady. When she hears this, she laughs. She is a substitute. The name came from a lecture she gave his English class about how society is a cult, when she should have been talking about Romeo and Juliet. In my classes she has taught this year, she frequently strays from the subject material, telling great stories and generally making the class far more interesting than it would have been otherwise. She is a trained Shakespearean actor, and whenever we do get down to business, she takes a part when we read, to show us how it's done.

I like (almost) all my other teachers, except a frigid, arrogant bitch I had last year, but these two stand out.

Dogmantra
2010-06-03, 04:46 PM
I do remember one "maths" lesson from my amazing maths teacher where we'd all just sat an exam a year early so he got out his acoustic guitar and we all had a singsong.

Zaggab
2010-06-05, 04:09 AM
I haven't had that many cool teachers, but there are a few who stands out by almost being cool.

1) A teacher I had this term sound exactly like Borat when he speaks English, especially when he says "very nice", which he does a lot.

2) When I had cell biology, there was a teacher who had built a huge microtubule model out of soda cans. He had some f-actin and g-actin models too (of course made out of soda cans). It's a lot funnier if you know what I'm talking about and was there to see it.

3) Another teacher used to play jazz music during the breaks, and he would sometimes surprise us with a quiz in the middle of the lectures. Some examples of subjects include fictional pets, Harry Potter knowledge and old Disney movies.

4) My old Spanish teacher was pretty cool. She was from Chile, and had came to Sweden because her family was threatened by the Chilean dictator at the time. She had the worst accent I have ever heard - it took several lessons before you learned how to understand what she was saying. Some of her mispronunciations were hilarious. During her classes we saw movies such as Armageddon, the Lion King, and some more. The list of words and phrases to learn from Armageddon included "pechos grandes", which means "big boobs".

Dogmantra
2010-06-05, 07:16 AM
3) Another teacher used to play jazz music during the breaks, and he would sometimes surprise us with a quiz in the middle of the lectures. Some examples of subjects include fictional pets, Harry Potter knowledge and old Disney movies.

This reminds me of my religious studies teacher. He would frequently let us out ten minutes early, we'd often go off on tangents in the middle of lessons where he'd tell us amusing stories, he was fond of quizzes, and a lot of them only had about half the questions relating to religion. As part of learning about war and conflict, he had us split into pairs and do a presentation on a modern war or conflict. One pair did Star Wars.

Adumbration
2010-06-05, 07:19 AM
This reminds me of my religious studies teacher. He would frequently let us out ten minutes early, we'd often go off on tangents in the middle of lessons where he'd tell us amusing stories, he was fond of quizzes, and a lot of them only had about half the questions relating to religion. As part of learning about war and conflict, he had us split into pairs and do a presentation on a modern war or conflict. One pair did Star Wars.

Oh, wow, I just remembered one of our my own religious studies teacher from ages past.

We played Counter-Strike during his lessons. And I mean with his permission, and with him playing as well, although only after we'd done a few short assignments or something. :smallbiggrin:

Dogmantra
2010-06-05, 07:26 AM
I think you just won. If anyone beats that I will be surprised.

Mathis
2010-06-05, 08:27 AM
I think you just won. If anyone beats that I will be surprised.

Prepare to be surprised. I had a religious studies teacher that was great at getting the class involved in debates, in each of his classes we would discuss and discuss and everyone would get passionately involved and continue the debates well into the other classes. No shouting or screaming irrational statements, just an entire class of civilized people talking about the big issues of today in a reasonable way for several hours, sometimes several days and weeks. I think that beats playing Counter-Strike and not growing as a person, but your mileage may vary.

Dogmantra
2010-06-05, 08:29 AM
I think that beats playing Counter-Strike and not growing as a person, but your mileage may vary.

But you can do both at the same time. Didn't think of that. :smallwink:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-06-05, 08:47 AM
Gr 4-5, I had Mr. Robertson, who had lots of graphic novels which he would let us read. He was cool.

7-8 I had Mr. Davies, who was our history/geo/english/drama teacher, and did awesome stuff such as making up a whole rpg system in which we were early french settlers in Quebec, helping us write an operetta following a family through Canadian History, getting us free tickets to see an Opera Atelier production of Idomeneo, getting us to paint the inside of a church (because that was where we were going to perform our operetta)

He was kinda amazing.

And then, lastly, there's Alison, my media arts/film teacher. First of all, we get to film things in her class. Secondly, she's just generally awesome. When you tell her about that one time when your friend got really drunk and started feeding Wonderbread to the person that party was at's house, she laughs. That is awesome. This was the class in which my best friend and I replaced all the sound in the party scene from the Fellowship of the Ring so well that some of the people who hadn't seen the movie thought we cheated and left the sound in.

PersonMan
2010-06-05, 12:05 PM
Not my teacher(well, not since 6th grade), but m friends' French teacher gave one of my friends a prize for being the #1 Male French student in his class. It was the book 'French in Your Face'. He can now swear in French, and tell people that "I will brush my belly button with the brush of casualness" (or something like that, I'm not sure about the exact words).

pinwiz
2010-06-05, 12:13 PM
Prepare to be surprised. I had a religious studies teacher that was great at getting the class involved in debates, in each of his classes we would discuss and discuss and everyone would get passionately involved and continue the debates well into the other classes. No shouting or screaming irrational statements, just an entire class of civilized people talking about the big issues of today in a reasonable way for several hours, sometimes several days and weeks. I think that beats playing Counter-Strike and not growing as a person, but your mileage may vary.

This is amazing and awesome to me. It always frustrates me when people won't allow themselves to have a civilized debate. It seems to tend to be civilized and boring or an interesting debate and someone finds it horribly offensive.

I'd say that's better than counterstrike, but i'm not much of a gamer so i'm biased. bonus points if anyone yells at me for the irony win

Cealocanth
2010-06-05, 10:43 PM
I had an amazing teacher back in 5th grade named Mr. Schafer. He taught history and could describe any historical event as if he were actually there. He held re-enactments during his period and even brought costumes sometimes. For our retreat we went to a camp where we played a Predator VS Prey game and her proved himself to be a most exellent millitary general as well. Man, it's been so long and I still remember that.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-06-05, 11:10 PM
One of my English teachers is freakin' awesome, being among other things a total geek and thoroughly embracing my oral on 'THE SPACE OPERA' (as well as one on Bioshock last year ...).

She regularly accuses my friend of being wanted in court, me of being either a zombie or a doppelganger for the real me who never actually attends school and says that if anyone leaves her class by the wrong door than they will be sucked into an alternate universe, often mock-lecturing people for leaving through said door.

We get naps in afternoon lessons and she often gets us to sing 'if you're happy and you know it'. Then (seeing as it's imaginative writing) we just get to write intermittently while talking to her, or other people, or anyone, so long as we get some words down.

Good class, shame it's the last semester I'll ever have her for :smallfrown:

ninjalemur
2010-06-05, 11:22 PM
Ninth grade Biology: for a lab on fermentation we split in to groups of two and were given a two liter bottle of root beer and a half gallon of vanilla ice cream. Fifty minutes of making root beer floats.

Boo
2010-06-06, 05:17 AM
One of the instructors of my school is Chris Bratseth. If you lived in the New York area around 2002, you might have heard of him. I learned under him briefly when he and my Digital Media teacher merged classes for a compassion project.

Video from his Vimeo account: http://vimeo.com/6194129

My DM teacher is also pretty cool. He's like that awesome artist friend everyone needs. In his spare time he makes music. He also grew up with Bratseth, and they are best friends.

My bus driver use to live in my house, and is an artist. We talk often since I'm pretty much the only person on the bus later that day.

My English teacher is... quirky. Yes.

My school is full of interesting people, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

Fifth grade: Brian Deeks. Fun times with that guy... fun times. I have a song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7eloXr2iak) stuck in my head because of him too. It's been so many years, but I still know the dang song...

Moff Chumley
2010-06-06, 04:57 PM
Doug Addis, my ninth grade bio teacher. I live in a rather liberal community, and he would often make incredibly sweeping, conservative declarations, much the the shock and horror of everyone in the class. Just to mess with people. I loved that man. :smallbiggrin:

Most of the faculty in the physics department of my school has weekly meetings at the town's FLGS, in which they play WH40k while arguing about how to make their classes harder.

Laura Roberts, my current English teacher, was most likely a cocaine addict in the 80s, and once gave a 100 question multiple choice test in which every answer was "C"... gave two students nervous breakdowns. She's also fond of pointing out imagery for genitals in Shakespeare plays. Good times.

And then there's my History teacher, who's one of the best FPS players I've ever met. He brought an X-Box in to class last week, and he went something like sixty for three in an eight person Call of Duty match. He also accepted "I was trying to finish the campaign in Bad Company I before Bad Company II came out" as an excuse to get around his "absolutely no late work" policy.

:smallbiggrin:

Malfunctioned
2010-06-06, 05:21 PM
I had one really awesome teacher, a music teacher when I was in year 8 or 9. He went by the names of Mr. Tkachenko. He was awesome. During our classes he would bring out random instruments and start playing them insanely well, including one very memorable lesson where he played the musical saw. He would always take requests at the end of class leading to a lesson ending in one of the best renditions of Bohemian Rhapsody I had ever heard.

And he wore stilts sometimes as well.

Cleverdan22
2010-06-06, 09:35 PM
In the past I've had really cool teachers. In seventh grade I had a science teacher, and he was completely awesome, went bowhunting, fed mice to his snake in class, didn't take any crap from obnoxious students, and looked like Jesus.

In eighth grade, my creative writing teacher was simply amazing. She had really interesting ideas and concepts and really got me interested in pursuing writing as a career, and I owe a lot to her.

This year, my British Lit teacher was really awesome, as well. She was incredibly snarky, saavy, and hilarious. She actually cared about our futures, even though she had a sort of a mean facade. Also, she knitted me a miniature devil/imp thing, which was awesome.

Syka
2010-06-06, 10:11 PM
During our midterm last week, my Marketing professor brought our class pizza. Like, he left twice during the exam, once for 10+ minutes, and came back with pizza and told us to take a break. <3 Oddly enough, not a sound was uttered during the absences. I think we were all too worried about not finishing in time. XD

Danne
2010-06-06, 10:28 PM
Senior year in high school. AP Calculus. The teacher that shared a room with mine was completely insane, and it was amazing. For example, she kept a giant stuffed hammer in her desk, so that when kids were misbehaving she could whip it out and whack them in the head. She would also randomly come to class wearing bizarre outfits, including one occasion where she came in dressed in a giant inflatable ostrich costume. Oh, and she brought us doughnuts every Friday. :smallbiggrin:

I've also had science teachers who keep dead animals (for use in class later) in the staffroom freezer, a Latin teacher who told us a story and gave us fifteen minutes of nap time every day, and a social studies teacher who was simply too awesome to put into words.