PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Completing the Christmas Tree Effect: Why is there no Magic Pants?

Cieyrin
2010-06-03, 01:12 PM
You see a high level character, blinged out with every magic item slot filled. She has her +awesome sword of amazing, her helm of coolitude, her boots of ass kicking, +yes armor of sweet, etc. You cast detect magic and check out her auras and you're nearly blinded with all the twinkling lights from everywhere...except from her waist down to her ankles.

How can we stand not to complete the ensemble if we don't have shiny pants that give us bonii, I ask you? :smallsigh: Some game developers have recognized this (Spiderweb Software usually has characters with pant slots) but we seem to lack one. What affinity should be associated with magic pants? Movement, physical improvement?

What's the Playgrounds thoughts on this or do Real Adventurers really go pantsless, since there is no mechanical benefit to wearing pants, despite the belt you're wearing?

Also, not to be confused with Magic Pants (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicPants).

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-06-03, 01:15 PM
There is. I know I've seen them somewhere. The problem, though, is that there isn't a pants slot, so you'd have to take up your body slot.

HMS Invincible
2010-06-03, 01:16 PM
If you want to be imaginative, armor covers from your torso can also cover your legs, like the medieval knights.

How many slots does your game need? Cuz I've had DMs who would say, you got 10 fingers, why not have 10 rings? He rolled that rule back in REAL fast. I suppose its ok to have more slots if their effects sucks, aka 4th edition. But if you have decent magical effects, you should limit how many items you can carry at once.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-03, 01:19 PM
This is theoretically what the Waist slot is supposed to include, but damned if there's nothing but belt belt belt sash belt waistcord rosary belt

Claudius Maximus
2010-06-03, 01:23 PM
This is theoretically what the Waist slot is supposed to include, but damned if there's nothing but belt belt belt sash belt waistcord rosary belt

And the occasional girdle.

Swordgleam
2010-06-03, 01:26 PM
This is because everyone knows that thigh-high leather boots are the most awesome awesomosity out there. If your boots slot item isn't making your entire leg glow with magic, you are Doing It Wrong. :smallbiggrin:

Gnosko
2010-06-03, 01:27 PM
You could instead of a Belt of Giant Strenght have it be Pants of Giant Strength. As long as they take up your waist slot, no actual game mechanics change. It would be purely asthetic.

Cieyrin
2010-06-03, 01:39 PM

I suppose that's one way of looking at it. I suppose that would imply that magic pants have an affinity for physical improvement.

This is because everyone knows that thigh-high leather boots are the most awesome awesomosity out there. If your boots slot item isn't making your entire leg glow with magic, you are Doing It Wrong. :smallbiggrin:

Thigh high boots aren't for everybody, as some characters function better with sandals, though there are some pretty crazy sandals out there with straps all the way up the thigh. What I'm saying is why can't we also have some manly displacer beast leather pants?

You could instead of a Belt of Giant Strenght have it be Pants of Giant Strength. As long as they take up your waist slot, no actual game mechanics change. It would be purely asthetic.

But why couldn't we have both Magic Pants, with a Magic Belt holding them up? You could even have some kind of synergy effect for such a thing, kind of a variant to Augment Crystals, you could say.

Draz74
2010-06-03, 01:43 PM
But why couldn't we have both Magic Pants, with a Magic Belt holding them up?

Same reason you can't use more than two magic rings. (To wit: No real in-character reason; it's just an arbitrary limitation to make the game a little more sane.)

gbprime
2010-06-03, 01:50 PM
I've given out magic trousers in a game before. They just took up the boots slot.

Envalee's Dodgy Pants. Resistance bonus to saves (+2) and Evasion (as per the ring). :smallbiggrin:

Cieyrin
2010-06-03, 01:58 PM
Same reason you can't use more than two magic rings. (To wit: No real in-character reason; it's just an arbitrary limitation to make the game a little more sane.)

Having both Magic Pants and a Magic Belt would break things? I think it's more the designers either forgot or got lazy than having an additional magic item slot available would throw game balance.

AstralFire
2010-06-03, 02:02 PM
Having both Magic Pants and a Magic Belt would break things? I think it's more the designers either forgot or got lazy than having an additional magic item slot available would throw game balance.

It's because most armors are both body and leg.

Choco
2010-06-03, 02:07 PM
If they added a pants slot then people would complain the game is now too much like WoW.
Sadly I am only being half sarcastic..
In all seriousness though, adding a pants slot would not be a bad idea. You already have a torso slot in addition to a body slot (armor and a shirt!), so I can't see why a pants slot would be bad.

Cieyrin
2010-06-03, 02:44 PM
If they added a pants slot then people would complain the game is now too much like WoW.
Sadly I am only being half sarcastic..

I wouldn't say that, considering 3rd Ed came out before WoW did. That's more of an issue for 4th but then I could care less about that edition.

In all seriousness though, adding a pants slot would not be a bad idea. You already have a torso slot in addition to a body slot (armor and a shirt!), so I can't see why a pants slot would be bad.

Exactly my point, why shouldn't we have greaves that were separately enchanted if they can have 3 different slots on your torso (armor/robe, shirt and vest) to boot.

balistafreak
2010-06-03, 02:47 PM
It's actually quite clear why they fully excluded the pants slot: full body armor.

I mean, where are the pants on a set of full plate? :smallconfused:

Choco
2010-06-03, 02:52 PM
It's actually quite clear why they fully excluded the pants slot: full body armor.

By that logic the torso slot would not exist either. There is already a precedent for shirts, but not for pants. At least they thought this through half way.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-06-03, 02:56 PM

A place quite similar to where the vest is.

Flob
2010-06-03, 02:56 PM
So that when you "get it on" with the ladies, you don't have to take off your +6 pants of charisma.

AstralFire
2010-06-03, 03:02 PM
So that when you "get it on" with the ladies, you don't have to take off your +6 pants of charisma.

I'll have to see how a cloak works in bed. Could be fun with a nice satin one.

Rothen
2010-06-03, 03:03 PM

Which is a good thing, because unless you're a sorcerer, the Charisma loss would probably cost you the chance to finally ''get it on'' with that princess/tavern maid (depending on ECL and WBL) after 3 hours of flirting to your DM.

Edit: @Astralfire: It's awesome. And very soft. And if things go bad and her/his parents get home, you can always make a dramatic exit with it.

Cieyrin
2010-06-03, 03:04 PM

I suppose better pants than a codpiece of charisma. :smallbiggrin:

AstralFire
2010-06-03, 03:06 PM
Which is a good thing, because unless you're a sorcerer, the Charisma loss would probably cost you the chance to finally ''get it on'' with that princess/tavern maid (depending on ECL and WBL) after 3 hours of flirting to your DM.

Edit: @Astralfire: It's awesome. And very soft. And if things go bad and her/his parents get home, you can always make a dramatic exit with it.

If they get home, I'd ask them where they got our keys from. :smallbiggrin:

SlyGuyMcFly
2010-06-03, 03:10 PM
Why no magic pants?

Funny story that. You see, the developers initially intended to include pants as a slot for magic items. However playtesting showed that way too much time was spent giggling immaturely and cracking jokes, so the idea got scrapped.

Tome
2010-06-03, 03:19 PM
Why no magic pants?

Funny story that. You see, the developers initially intended to include pants as a slot for magic items. However playtesting showed that way too much time was spent giggling immaturely and cracking jokes, so the idea got scrapped.

Said laughter was, of course, amplified tenfold as soon as they tested it with Brits.

Who promptly began demanding a 'magic trousers' slot, on the basis that it was getting a bit drafty. :smalltongue:

balistafreak
2010-06-03, 03:27 PM
Now that you mention it, I could totally dig a Kilt of Charisma.

No really, who doesn't listen to an authoritive man in a kilt? :smallwink:

Jayabalard
2010-06-03, 03:39 PM
Same reason you can't use more than two magic rings. (To wit: No real in-character reason; it's just an arbitrary limitation to make the game a little more sane.)I recall a 1e AD&D discussion of this, and I seem to remember that the reasoning is that you have to wear the magic ring on the ring finger, and you only have 2 of these. I don't really remember if this was backed up by the text in the books or not, but really whether this is a house rule or not is kind of immaterial, since it is an example of a valid in-character reason for that limitation.

Kurald Galain
2010-06-03, 03:44 PM
Awww, what this needs is an eyeball item slot, polymorphic teeth, and equippable intestines...

Tome
2010-06-03, 03:48 PM
Awww, what this needs is an eyeball item slot, polymorphic teeth, and equippable intestines...

There were at least two out of three of those present in Planescape: Torment, if I recall correctly.

gallagher
2010-06-03, 03:52 PM
+1 hammer pants, they give you a bonus to perform (dance)

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-03, 03:52 PM
Magical Radiation. Do you want your boys stewing in it all day? Not me.

Cieyrin
2010-06-03, 03:54 PM
Magical Radiation. Do you want your boys stewing in it all day? Not me.

How else do you expect to be giving your children templates, neh? :smalltongue:

mostlyharmful
2010-06-03, 04:02 PM
Magic Trouser slot please.... this conversation is just too disquieting with it's constant talk of improper dress!

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-03, 04:04 PM
How else do you expect to be giving your children templates, neh? :smalltongue:

Going right to the source :smallwink:

SilverClawShift
2010-06-03, 04:44 PM
regardless of where this thread has gone, or where it goes from here, Cieyrin is cool in my book for the phrase "+yes armor of sweet".

Thurbane
2010-06-03, 09:23 PM
You could always create magical pants as "unslotted" items...

Cieyrin
2010-06-03, 09:40 PM
You could always create magical pants as "unslotted" items...

That gets a bit expensive over time, don't you think?

Anyways, who wouldn't want magic pants or a magic kilt? Even a magic loin cloth can enhance the memorability of a character, especially if that's the only thing he's wearing.

Extra bonus points if it grants Freedom of Movement. :smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2010-06-03, 09:45 PM
I wholeheartedly endorse magical pants/kilts/leggings, in any format. If you homebrew a new slot, more power to you! :smallsmile:

Salbazier
2010-06-03, 09:47 PM
That gets a bit expensive over time, don't you think?

Anyways, who wouldn't want magic pants or a magic kilt? Even a magic loin cloth can enhance the memorability of a character, especially if that's the only thing he's wearing.

Extra bonus points if it grants Freedom of Movement. :smallbiggrin:

That's is quite interesting idea:smallbiggrin:

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-03, 09:56 PM
There are no magical pants because the most intelligent Wizards and Artificiers have long since discovered that pants inhibit all societies from reaching their full potential.

:smallannoyed: That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

deuxhero
2010-06-03, 10:04 PM
Huh, I always thought that clothing was worn under armor (or over it in the case of mythiral chain) and just had very very few magic items in it.

Another_Poet
2010-06-03, 10:29 PM
I don't know what you're talking about, all my characters wear Crotchless & Assless Chaps of Blindness/Deafness.

dextercorvia
2010-06-03, 10:43 PM
This thread reminds me. I was playing 2e campaign a few years back and everyone in the party was supposed to get an X of Vecna artifact. (Eye and Hand were the big ones, but there was supposed to be enough minor ones to fill out the rest of the party.) This was a plot point, but I didn't realize it, and had no intention of mutilating my character for a minor magical benefit from a cursed artifact. The DM was thwarted somewhat when one of the characters got himself dusted/planeshifted or what not and took the artifact with his corpse. When he rerolled, he took the one intended for my character. This left us one short. So by the time I realized I had to have one, the DM realized he had to make one up on the fly.... So my character ended up with the Schlong of Vecna. It had a Dominate person ability. Those were simpler, more immature days.

Escheton
2010-06-03, 10:54 PM
Pants of many pockets.

Or pants of that-cloak-or-bag-that-makes-you-pull-donkeys-out-of-nowhere.
Healing pants

Or of course the best: the ropetrick/cottage/house/friggin castle line. There is a party in your pants...

Pants of magic fang for the pelvic thrusting monks.

Pants of otto's irrelesistable dance. Also known as Loki's(the mask) mambapants.

Serpentine
2010-06-03, 10:56 PM
Eh, I'd allow it. Along with earings (for which there is a precedent, limit one magical one per ear), perhaps toe rings... uh... Can't think of anywhere else that's absent...
Anyway, my ex already had a plan for a Cursed Codpiece of Devouring.

Kris Strife
2010-06-03, 11:13 PM
To all comments on armor covering it: Chain mail is tiny little metal rings that can pinch, and plate tends to chafe on bare skin.

Marriclay
2010-06-03, 11:19 PM

I weep for unprepared adventurer

Cieyrin
2010-06-04, 12:01 AM

That just sounds horrifying, actually. I...think I might have nightmares about that...

Os1ris09
2010-06-04, 12:45 AM
ROFL at the entire BLOG...... ROFLMAO LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbi ggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:
:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallsigh::smallbiggr in::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:
:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Sindri
2010-06-04, 01:41 AM
In Faerie Meat (a mostly joke game by the people who brought you Knights of the Dinner Table magazine) there's an item called magic pants. They're extremely sparkly jeans that give you a bonus to combat if you strike a dramatic pose instead of moving, and make you immune to grappling if you say "Not in these Pants!!!" Also, they're immune to staining and tearing, which is good since the usual way of acquiring a pair is to peel them off the bloody corpse of the previous owner.

Grumman
2010-06-04, 01:51 AM
What's the Playgrounds thoughts on this or do Real Adventurers really go pantsless, since there is no mechanical benefit to wearing pants, despite the belt you're wearing?
You've got it backwards. The lack of magic pants does not remove existing incentives to wear pants, but it does remove the incentive to remove your or other people's pants in socially unacceptable settings. It means you don't need to worry about someone stealing your pants because they're worth thousands of gold pieces, and it means you don't have to worry about causing a scandal if you need to swap your +2 Pants of Armour for a pair of Pants of Cold Resistance.

Thurbane
2010-06-04, 01:58 AM
Lederhosen of Authority: just like the Admiral’s Bicorne, but without the fruity nautical theme (gives bonus to Profession [Shepherd], instead of Profession [Sailor]).

Arbane
2010-06-04, 02:15 AM
Am I really the first person to mention Kingdom of Loathing in this thread? I'm shocked.

Serpentine
2010-06-04, 02:34 AM
You've got it backwards. The lack of magic pants does not remove existing incentives to wear pants, but it does remove the incentive to remove your or other people's pants in socially unacceptable settings. It means you don't need to worry about someone stealing your pants because they're worth thousands of gold pieces, and it means you don't have to worry about causing a scandal if you need to swap your +2 Pants of Armour for a pair of Pants of Cold Resistance.Now this is a sensicle reason.

Killer Angel
2010-06-04, 02:35 AM
Now that you mention it, I could totally dig a Kilt of Charisma.

I like the way you think... :smallwink:
and if you add 5.000 gp for the Greater Kilt of Charisma, you gain a bouns on your Leadership feat.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-06-04, 10:13 AM
I can totally get behind magic kilts using enchantments meant for the cloak slot, but magic pants in general are just too silly. I can't think of one noncomical reference to magic pants while I could site multiple examples of any other slot from mythology, folklore or literature. Of course the same can be said for kilts but, I feel their use in heraldry lends them some additional legitimacy.

fryplink
2010-06-04, 10:28 AM
I really doubt they left out magic pants for balance reasons (because it would just be awful if 3.5's excellent balance was ruined). Its probably more of a laziness/cost control sorta deal. As in, they would have to print a lot more magic items, think them up etc plus as someone already mentioned, it would be awkward to change pants in the middle of the grand duchesses ballroom because your wizard divined that assassins were three minutes away

shorts of enlarge and/or endurance

Choco
2010-06-04, 10:34 AM
This thread reminds me. I was playing 2e campaign a few years back and everyone in the party was supposed to get an X of Vecna artifact. (Eye and Hand were the big ones, but there was supposed to be enough minor ones to fill out the rest of the party.) This was a plot point, but I didn't realize it, and had no intention of mutilating my character for a minor magical benefit from a cursed artifact. The DM was thwarted somewhat when one of the characters got himself dusted/planeshifted or what not and took the artifact with his corpse. When he rerolled, he took the one intended for my character. This left us one short. So by the time I realized I had to have one, the DM realized he had to make one up on the fly.... So my character ended up with the Schlong of Vecna. It had a Dominate person ability. Those were simpler, more immature days.

Yeah, that proves it, I am still as simple and immature as I have been for the past 15 years, as I laughed quite hard at that. And I just got an idea for a new magic item...

tonberrian
2010-06-04, 10:41 AM
Why are there no magic pants? Let's imagine that there are.

Here's Joe McHero, Slayer-of-Rats-in-Basements, Chosen One candidate #746,892, and all around travelling adventurer type. Today's task: ogre slaying. After a fearsome battle that shook the heavens (okay, shook the tree that Joe got knocked into), Joe uses his handy-dandy scroll to cast Detect Magic and finds that the ogre's smelly, diry, flea-infested pants are magical. Would you take these nasty, nasty pants? Would you even buy them if someone tried to sell you them?

That's why there's no magic pants. No resale value.

Starscream
2010-06-04, 10:53 AM
How can we stand not to complete the ensemble if we don't have shiny pants that give us bonii, I ask you?

One of my favorite out-of-context quotes ever.:smallamused:

Have you seen fantasy artwork? Nobody ever wears pants. There are robes, loincloths, maybe the occasional chainmail thong for the ladies (which I'd be willing to believe has some sort of anti-chafing enchantment).

And there isn't much market for used loincloths. The average barbarian warrior isn't too big on bathing.

Cieyrin
2010-06-04, 12:15 PM
Am I really the first person to mention Kingdom of Loathing in this thread? I'm shocked.

You, sir/madam, are absolutely right and I feel remiss in forgetting about KoL, considering I've played it for a number of years. I put to my defense that I haven't played in a good long while, however. >_>;;

Kris Strife
2010-06-04, 08:20 PM
Why are there no magic pants? Let's imagine that there are.

Here's Joe McHero, Slayer-of-Rats-in-Basements, Chosen One candidate #746,892, and all around travelling adventurer type. Today's task: ogre slaying. After a fearsome battle that shook the heavens (okay, shook the tree that Joe got knocked into), Joe uses his handy-dandy scroll to cast Detect Magic and finds that the ogre's smelly, diry, flea-infested pants are magical. Would you take these nasty, nasty pants? Would you even buy them if someone tried to sell you them?

That's why there's no magic pants. No resale value.

Prestidigitation. :smalltongue:

Grumman
2010-06-04, 09:55 PM
Prestidigitation. :smalltongue:
I think you'll want to throw in a Modify Memory, too.

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-04, 10:47 PM
+1 hammer pants, they give you a bonus to perform (dance)Pantaloons of Protection: Can't Touch This.

+5 Cursed Codpiece of Contagion: Don't Want To.

Curmudgeon
2010-06-04, 11:30 PM
There is no magic pants slot because there are no pants in D&D.

D&D is based primarily on a Medieval Europe setting. From the 13-18th centuries people in Europe didn't wear pants. They wore either skirts/kilts or long tunics, with leggings (which are two garments, one for each leg).

Grumman
2010-06-04, 11:43 PM

D&D is based primarily on a Medieval Europe setting. From the 13-18th centuries people in Europe didn't wear pants. They wore either skirts/kilts or long tunics, with leggings (which are two garments, one for each leg).
Lies. Proof can be found on pages 12, 13, 27, 41, 43, 50, and so on of the Player's Handbook.

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-04, 11:59 PM

D&D is based primarily on a Medieval Europe setting. From the 13-18th centuries people in Europe didn't wear pants. They wore either skirts/kilts or long tunics, with leggings (which are two garments, one for each leg).At one point you weren't considered naked so long as you were wearing something. This something could be as little as a hat.

Irreverent Fool
2010-06-05, 08:15 AM

I love you, Curmudgeon.

The funny thing is, it was actually the barbarians who came in with the pants (and big shiny belt buckles, too. You're welcome, Texas.)

I'm afraid that your point isn't much of an argument, though. That will just make us ask why there are no magic leggings. We have magic gloves, after all.

I'm fairly certain (as others have mentioned) that magic pants don't exist because they are silly rather than for any other well-thought-out reason.

At one point you weren't considered naked so long as you were wearing something. This something could be as little as a hat.

In D&D, wearing nothing but a hat is quite acceptable. A hat of disguise can make a character appear to be wearing clothing, perfect for those hot days. Nevertheless, I find this amusing. Could you cite a reference?

Saph
2010-06-05, 08:27 AM

Yup, this is absolutely true. For those doubting it, here is the evidence (http://shawntionary.com/chainmailbikini/?p=41).

lesser_minion
2010-06-05, 08:35 AM
I imagine it comes from a mix of:

Silliness Redundancy Item slots being so arbitrary to start with that the designers didn't really expect people to care A general prejudice against trousers that existed in Roman times at least (they wore them, but they weren't exactly perceived as heroic attire) It would mean there was a clear mechanical disadvantage to female characters dressing like they do in some of the artwork...

Or, it could be that they did. Once. The relevant passage from the 3.0 DMG:

Just as it doesn't make sense to wear multiple pairs of glasses or shoes simultaneously, so too characters can't stack items meant to be worn on a particular part of the body. Only so many items of a particular kind can be worn and be effective at the same time. The limits include the following:

1 headband, hat, or helmet
1 pair of eye lenses or goggles
1 cloak, cape, or mantle
1 amulet, brooch, medallion, necklace, periapt, or scarab
1 suit of armour
1 robe
1 vest, vestment, or shirt
1 pair of bracers or bracelets
1 pair of gloves or gauntlets
2 rings
1 belt
1 pair of boots

So yeah. Basically, it did exist. The designers removed pants, skirts, underwear and the like when they updated the informal "you can't wear five pairs of jeans" rule to a set of formal items slots.

Irreverent Fool
2010-06-05, 09:04 AM
Yup, this is absolutely true. For those doubting it, here is the evidence (http://shawntionary.com/chainmailbikini/?p=41).

http://shawntionary.com/chainmailbikini/?p=45

But there are pants!

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-05, 09:36 AM
Could you cite a reference?It was something I read a year or so ago. I can't find the reference anymore. If I recall correctly, it was a historical piece in regards to the type of hat that Link (from Legend of Zelda) wears; I can't remember the name of the hat, and Google isn't helping me at all.

Even if it isn't true, it's still funny.

Optimystik
2010-06-05, 09:54 AM
Adding a pants slot would have a lot of far-reaching effects. Now you need a Thighs Chakra, and with psionics you can have your Thighs opened much sooner than you could normally.

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-05, 10:12 AM
Adding a pants slot would have a lot of far-reaching effects. Now you need a Thighs Chakra, and with psionics you can have your Thighs opened much sooner than you could normally.They're just that sexy. :smallcool:

AstralFire
2010-06-05, 10:18 AM
Adding a pants slot would have a lot of far-reaching effects. Now you need a Thighs Chakra, and with psionics you can have your Thighs opened much sooner than you could normally.

9/10. Good job.

SlyGuyMcFly
2010-06-05, 10:26 AM

I shudder to think of the sorts of melds you could shape there.

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-05, 10:30 AM
I shudder to think of the sorts of melds you could shape there.You know those dangly things you can buy for your automobile? Yeah.

Hague
2010-06-05, 11:46 AM
There are magical pants, just make magical pants with the Craft Wondrous Item feat and there you go. Personally, I think the whole "Effect based on the slot it's placed in" thing is totally bogus. If you want to have Pants of Eyes or Ring of Eyes or Bandana of Eyes, then go for it. It's not as if most bonuses stack anyway. The whole slot thing is just some ridiculous arbitrary limitation. Now I agree on the slot limits but you could just make some overt rule stating that you can only have so many magical items active on yourself at once before Bad Things™ start to happen to you. You want to wear 6 cloaks, go ahead, they work but be prepared to take a penalty for the bulkiness.

An idea might be to allow characters to have those items worn in-excess but when the player is hit by a damaging effect, he can only save for the items that would fit in his natural slots. All the excess rings and junk would have to save on their own. It would be a risk-reward scenario then. If the player starts to abuse this rule then maybe have the collective magical power of all those items form a sapient construct like a Ragamoffyn. Then the player would be fighting all his gear, not only to save his life but would invariably end up destroying large quantities of enchanted gear. A bittersweet victory for certain.

Cieyrin
2010-06-05, 11:51 AM

I don't know if you intended it or not but my mind fell into the gutter and is having trouble getting back out now. :smallbiggrin:

So because our history lacked people walking around in pants, we can't have some? That seems like a weak explanation at best, given Medieval Europe didn't have magic, either, or monstrous creatures lurking in the shadows, regardless of what the myths and legends seem to indicate.

Anyways, my campaigns tend to run at an early Renaissance period and I'm fairly sure your average swashbuckler had pants, as how can you swash your buckles if you have nothing to buckle?

Tiki Snakes
2010-06-05, 12:10 PM
It would also mean that Eberron should have come with a section of enchanted trousers, because, well;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/Nived/Stuff/Pants.jpg

Oslecamo
2010-06-05, 12:22 PM
Guys, the reason is more than obvious! High level characters bursting with magic gear don't wear pants at all!:smallbiggrin:

http://moetron.com/newfiles/nanoha_strikers89022_resize.jpg

Murdim
2010-06-05, 12:28 PM
Sorry for not being constructive at all, but I have to do this.

Leather pants of Undetectable Alignment. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DracoInLeatherPants)

Well, now that I've finished being unconstructive, I can at least say that I find the Christmas Tree Effect quite ridiculous. The number of different item slots is absurd, especially if (when) you consider that a character should ideally fill all those slots with magic items. The "obvious", traditional AND logical fixed item slots would be torso (armor), head (helmet), feet (boots) and hands (gloves). Do we really need more of them ? Wouldn't it be slightly less silly to give players a handful of "miscellaneous" slots where they can place their pants, rings, amulets, glasses, ioun stones, shirts, underwear, and whatnot ?

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-05, 12:37 PM
Anyways, my campaigns tend to run at an early Renaissance period and I'm fairly sure your average swashbuckler had pants, as how can you swash your buckles if you have nothing to buckle?
Pssst! The "Buckler" in "Swashbuckler" refers to an actual buckler- a small shield worn on the fist- and not the act of using a buckle.

Jair Barik
2010-06-05, 12:40 PM
Ifind it hard to believe that nobody has mentioned the amazing Golden Pantaloons. Most envied and powerful artifact to be found along the sword coast.

On another note a Spiked codpiece is actually usable by both genders. It only gives a +1 bonus to women compared to the +4 bonus bestowed upon men.

lesser_minion
2010-06-05, 12:51 PM
A view that I agree with is that it's better to curb the proliferation of different bonus types and use a simple cap on the number of effects you can have active simultaneously than it is to have items restricted by where they are worn.

Although personally I remove the stacking rules and make each bonus type into a slot, following a sort of incarnum-y major/minor slot setup.

The really annoying downside is that it breaks incarnum.

Orzel
2010-06-05, 12:55 PM
Only had one magical pants ever myself.
Pant of the Hammer.
I could end paralyzed or stunned condition as a free action end it and paralyze anyone who could hear me for one round.

That character also had a magical gold tooth so..

Cieyrin
2010-06-05, 01:03 PM
Pssst! The "Buckler" in "Swashbuckler" refers to an actual buckler- a small shield worn on the fist- and not the act of using a buckle.

I know but it's funnier this way.

balistafreak
2010-06-05, 01:19 PM

... you, sir, have just won this thread.

chiasaur11
2010-06-05, 01:46 PM
So, basically, they make the whole thing TOO SILLY.

And dangit, when you're already fighting a Squark to the death alongside monkeybees, it won't take much to reduce everyone at the table to paralyzing gigglefits, and then they pass out, hit their heads, and die.

It's a safety concern.

Eloi
2010-06-05, 01:56 PM
Maybe there isn't a pants slot because any one who doesn't wear pants (i.e. ladies wearing dresses) would be disadvantaged because they have less slots for magical items. Thus it'd be a rather sexist slot option.

...I am being semi-sarcastic of course. The reason there is no pants slot is because no one likes thinking about the implications of magical pants. Too much power perversion potential.

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-05, 02:13 PM
The reason there is no pants slot is because no one likes thinking about the implications of magical pants. Too much power perversion potential.

What are you talking about? You have to take the pants off to make the magic happen! :smalltongue:

Spell Thematics (Getting Depantsed)

Another_Poet
2010-06-05, 02:18 PM
I just want to pipe up and say that it is untrue that there were no pants in the 13th-18th centuries.

Although tunics with leggings were popular in the Middle Ages, trousers were continually worn in Ireland from ancient times to the modern era. Vikings also wore trousers and, although I am not sure if they went out of fashion by the high middle ages, it seems unlikely that people living in Norway or Finland are going to wear short skirts and hose all winter long.

Pants were commonly worn by soldiers in the middle ages and also by nobles going hunting. I suspect that they would also have been common for peasants labouring in fields. You can see a number of pairs of fancy pants if you look at any collection of Tudor era clothing as well.

Also, although the "buckler" in "swashbuckler" does refer to the shield (buckler), it refers to it being worn hung from the person's belt when not in use for combat. As they walked it would swish from side to side, hence the term swashbuckler, and the implication of a cocky young man as he sashayed about town.

lesser_minion
2010-06-05, 02:39 PM
As AP said, trousers were available in Roman times - it's more that they were a bit less popular.

I imagine that one of the other arguments is that such an item of clothing would basically occupy the waist/belt slot.

Irreverent Fool
2010-06-05, 02:41 PM
I just want to pipe up and say that it is untrue that there were no pants in the 13th-18th centuries.

Although tunics with leggings were popular in the Middle Ages, trousers were continually worn in Ireland from ancient times to the modern era. Vikings also wore trousers and, although I am not sure if they went out of fashion by the high middle ages, it seems unlikely that people living in Norway or Finland are going to wear short skirts and hose all winter long.

People in Norway and Finland? You mean the northerners? The vikings? The barbarians!

Saph
2010-06-05, 02:46 PM
They probably also don't want to make it too sci-fi. After all, everyone knows that the natural association with RPGs and pants is Star Wars Pants (http://www.jardmail.co.uk/factslists/swpants.shtml).

Keld Denar
2010-06-05, 02:56 PM
You know those dangly things you can buy for your automobile? Yeah.
Truck nutz? (http://www.trucknutz.com/products.asp)

Also, someone ordered +6 Pants of Charisma?
http://ivealwaysbeenhere.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/6a00e55396b685883301053721a61a970b-800wi.jpg
The bulge is part of the bonus.

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-05, 03:03 PM
http://ivealwaysbeenhere.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/6a00e55396b685883301053721a61a970b-800wi.jpg
Hooray for David Bowie Jareth the goblin king!

+6 Charisma indeed, and he had a natural 18 to start with.

The bulge is part of the bonus.I know it was for me...

Darrin
2010-06-05, 03:20 PM
When I was putting together Shax's Haversack, one item I considered including "Glamerweave Rhinestone Battle Stockings". The Stockings part actually comes from the clothing prices in A&EG, but Clebdecher Glamerweave is from Sharn: City of Towers p. 158.

Any pair of Clebdecher Glamerweave pants would provide a +2 circumstance bonus on Diplomacy checks. 500 GP + 2x standard clothing cost.

2xMachina
2010-06-05, 03:23 PM
You know, you can get a tooth magic slot (magic tooth), but not magic pants...

What's squickier, taking someone's pants, or someones tooth?

EDIT: Wait, does anyone else knows of a magic tooth. Cause I heard it 2nd hand, and I'm not sure now...

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-05, 03:23 PM
Too bad they don't help you juggle glass balls. :smallfrown:

Jair Barik
2010-06-05, 03:25 PM
I seem to recall that the guy playing Iago in Orson Welles Othello had a +8 Cod Piece of Charisma. If you accept that then it makes the entire plot make perfect sense.

EDIT:
You know, you can get a tooth magic slot (magic tooth), but not magic pants...

What's squickier, taking someone's pants, or someones tooth?

EDIT: Wait, does anyone else knows of a magic tooth. Cause I heard it 2nd hand, and I'm not sure now...

In planescape torment one of your party members is Mort the Flying Skull. He's there to be funny and bite wererat ass. And he's all out of funny! Seriously though when I first came across the were rats the only party member I had with a magic weapon with Mort (equipped with a magically poisoned tooth) so thanks to his ridiculously good AC (he's a floating skull!) he could generally take on all sorts of stuff without endangering himself. Also instead of normal equipment the main character equipped lots of tattoes and an eyeball as well.

Keld Denar
2010-06-05, 03:26 PM

They are in Tome of Magic. The most notable is the Tooth of Saervok that allows you to move at full speed even in heavy armor or encumbered.

Too bad they don't help you juggle glass balls. :smallfrown:

Maybe not glass ones...

Maerok
2010-06-05, 04:05 PM
Nobody wears pants in my campaign settings. Problem solved. :smallbiggrin:

Darrin
2010-06-05, 05:51 PM
They are in Tome of Magic. The most notable is the Tooth of Saervok that allows you to move at full speed even in heavy armor or encumbered.

Savnok, which is probably a mistake. Dwarven step isn't one of Savnok's effects, that belongs to Aym. I don't think Savnok was even a dwarf.

One of the drawbacks of the Teeth of Dahlver-Nar is as soon as you start using it, you're under the influence of the vestige as if you had failed a binding check. For Savnok, this means if you ever remove or drop an item that improves your AC, you take a -1 penalty to all your attacks, saves, and checks until you remove the tooth. If you want to use this item, check if your DM will waive or ignore this pointlessly lame restriction/penalty.

Escheton
2010-06-05, 05:58 PM
pointlessly lame?
(insert nigh flaming rant on the merits of the Tome of Magic binder system and how it is balanced, how it would become unbalanced and a point on that anyone trying to change/offset that should just play a wizard here)

Darrin
2010-06-05, 06:20 PM
pointlessly lame?
(insert nigh flaming rant on the merits of the Tome of Magic binder system and how it is balanced, how it would become unbalanced and a point on that anyone trying to change/offset that should just play a wizard here)

As part of the whole binding/vestige system, it has a mechanical purpose and adds some flavor to the system. A binder can also avoid the influence by making a good binding roll, or suppressing the influence via some other mechanic.

As a drawback for a continuous magic item, it's annoying and lame. The user never gets to make a binding roll to avoid the influence, and has no other way of ignoring it. While the teeth can be removed and replaced, there's a 24-hour delay before it takes effect again. Again, this is annoying for an item that for all appearances was intended to be used continuously on a permanent basis. Again, binding magic wasn't intended to make a vestige's influence permanent. Binders can avoid it either by making a good binding roll or just waiting 24 hours.

Devils_Advocate
2010-06-06, 06:46 PM
Body slots are just generally kinda screwy, at least in 3E. (The slots vary a bit depending on edition.) There's no obvious reason for them to work in the way that they do. It's not a simple matter of not being able to benefit from one magic item worn over another; in fact, you can wear a robe over a vest and a cape over a robe and have them work just fine, although they easily could have had those use the same slot. (And robes and armor share a slot, instead of armor taking up the same slot as vests and robes the same slot as cloaks. :smallconfused:) On the other hand, the one magic earring that I've seen (on p. 146 of the Planar Handbook) uses the head slot, even though hats and headbands are generally not worn over the ears.

You could say that each type of magic item binds to a different chakra, as explained in Magic of Incarnum. Except that there is no ring chakra. Rings are also peculiar in that they're the one instance in which two symmetrical locations on the body are a pair of identical slots, instead of being grouped together into a single slot. Or maybe there isn't a ring slot for each ring finger and instead you just benefit from only the first two rings you put on wherever you wear them, which is even stranger. No hard limit on items that you need to hold in your hands, though (rods, staffs, wands, weapons, etc.), so you can equip more than two of those by polymorphing into something with more than two hands. :smallconfused: But only two rings, even though humanoid characters typically have ten fingers. I think that we can safely conclude at this point that the way that magic rings function within the 3E item slot rules is just weird.

Anyway! The lack of magic pants is potentially very convenient. How so? Well, suppose that you homebrew a strange new sort of function that magic items can perform, and you only want characters to be able to use one item of this new type at a time. But because they work so differently, it doesn't make sense to lump items like this in with any of the existing groups of magic items. Well, there's a conveniently unused body slot for you to associate with your new variety of magic item, so there you go. (I was thinking that you could alternately make pants the "miscellaneous, but slotted" items that only have not fitting anywhere else in common -- the magic item equivalent to Universal spells, aberrations, etc. -- except it looks like rings already have that covered, being associated with no particular sort of function. Just another way that rings are weird, I guess.)

Said laughter was, of course, amplified tenfold as soon as they tested it with Brits.

Who promptly began demanding a 'magic trousers' slot, on the basis that it was getting a bit drafty. :smalltongue:
But keeping warm is what a brassiere of commanding fire elementals is for!

deuxhero
2010-06-13, 11:08 AM
Guys, the reason is more than obvious! High level characters bursting with magic gear don't wear pants at all!:smallbiggrin:

Was expecting Strike Witches, is disappointed.