PDA

View Full Version : Help me write the Draconic Prophecy (Eberron)

OMG PONIES
2010-06-03, 03:50 PM
So, I've finally decided to take the reigns of my gaming group in a short while to DM a campaign. I'm going to be running an Eberron campaign centered on the Draconic Prophecy, and I have a few ideas. However, I want the input of the creative folks lurking in the Playground. My soon-to-be players, please keep out. If you have met Peacekeeper, please close this thread.

Now, with that being said, onto the plot. What follows is some rough background for how I'd like the campaign to begin, spoilered for those who prefer to skip the details:

The campaign is going to start not with a motley crue of random adventurers, but with our players as detectives in Sharn. A serial killer is about, and he's eliminating members of the dragonmarked houses. The reason for this is that he's actually a member of the Chamber who's snapped. He thinks he understands the Draconic Prophecy, and he believes that murdering a member of each dragonmarked house is the key to unlocking the prophecy. So I think the Draconic Prophecy will turn out to be one sentence--a rather lengthy sentence, with each word beginning with the same letter as one of the Dragonmarked Houses. Rather than sticking to the 13 true houses, I will be using all 15 (including Houses Vol and Tarkanan).

I'm trying to drum up one sentence that sounds like a prophecy, using the first letter of each dragonmarked house to represent one word. I have some ideas, and a bit on their meaning/fulfillment. Please provide any constructive criticism, or feel free to create your own (using the same rules and providing some level of meaning or fulfillment).

1. God's chosen king shall join the many veering paths to valiantly lead the deathless one: Each murder tears a hole between the Prime Material Plane and another (the Feywild, Xoriat, etc). The killer hopes that, by uniting all of the planes as one, he will gain power and rule the multiverse forever. Classic single bad guy scenario, with the possibility for widespread chaos.

2. One takes the last mark to violent death so joyful pawns can vault godless kings: By destroying the dragonmarked houses, the killer hopes to break down the world's political infrastructure in hopes of inciting political revolution and bringing democracy to Eberron. The players must choose: uphold oppressive monarchs, or commit evil to usher in a new era of enlightenment? More political intrigue and ambiguity, perfect for Eberron.

3. Siberys' child leads Khyber justly, though many vile persons despise the vestige of good.: In a twisted display of morality, the killer (perhaps a paladin gone awry) is attempting to destroy the political powers above not for democracy, but to pave the way for another king. However, the paladin believes wholeheartedly that their acts are not just necessary, but for the greater good. This seems like the most cliche fantasy plot, with the possibility for noble court intrigue.

4. The chosen one gains power through valiantly leading Khyber versus Siberys down jagged mountains: The killer views his work as crippling Siberys to pave the way for full-out war. This scenario would definitely end with a large-scale battle, with the possible twist that the killer had the Prophecy wrong, and the Chosen ones (the party) are leading Siberys versus Khyber to victory.

So, Playground, which one (or ones) would you find most compelling as players? Or are there any better ideas you have for what the prophecy should say and mean? I'd love to hear your ideas! Please number them so others can comment on yours as well.

AslanCross
2010-06-03, 06:46 PM
1. God's chosen king shall join the many veering paths to valiantly lead the deathless one: Each murder tears a hole between the Prime Material Plane and another (the Feywild, Xoriat, etc). The killer hopes that, by uniting all of the planes as one, he will gain power and rule the multiverse forever. Classic single bad guy scenario, with the possibility for widespread chaos.

I think this sounds like the tightest-knit idea. It's not the one I like the most, mind you, but it's a solid one.

2. One takes the last mark to violent death so joyful pawns can vault godless kings: By destroying the dragonmarked houses, the killer hopes to break down the world's political infrastructure in hopes of inciting political revolution and bringing democracy to Eberron. The players must choose: uphold oppressive monarchs, or commit evil to usher in a new era of enlightenment? More political intrigue and ambiguity, perfect for Eberron.

I find it a bit difficult to suspend disbelief here---the dragonmarked houses are massive corporations that likely have established lines of successions. Simple murders won't be enough to destroy them. To destroy them, you need to force them to turn on each other and disrupt their fragile balance. I do love this idea's potential, though--like you said, it does feel a lot like Eberron.

3. Siberys' child leads Khyber justly, though many vile persons despise the vestige of good.: In a twisted display of morality, the killer (perhaps a paladin gone awry) is attempting to destroy the political powers above not for democracy, but to pave the way for another king. However, the paladin believes wholeheartedly that their acts are not just necessary, but for the greater good. This seems like the most cliche fantasy plot, with the possibility for noble court intrigue.

I'd think there are more possibilities than the paladin. A fallen celestial dragon might be a more interesting (and powerful) BBEG, considering how the paladin would lose his abilities. Also consider that "the greater good" ethic is quite utilitarian and is actually quite far from the paladin ideal. A cleric is more tenable as a villain in this case due to the relaxed cleric ethos in Eberron.

What one could do is have the Paladin actually doing what is good and right, except that it rocks the boat of the political infrastructure and the powers that be don't approve of this.

4. The chosen one gains power through valiantly leading Khyber versus Siberys down jagged mountains: The killer views his work as crippling Siberys to pave the way for full-out war. This scenario would definitely end with a large-scale battle, with the possible twist that the killer had the Prophecy wrong, and the Chosen ones (the party) are leading Siberys versus Khyber to victory.

This one I'm a bit ambivalent about. It's also a bit weird to say that Siberys is being lead, considering that well, Siberys himself is dead. I know it's figurative, but it just seems odd to me. I think any of the ideas can potentially have the killer getting the prophecy wrong, but this particular idea doesn't strike me strongly in any way.

OMG PONIES
2010-06-04, 10:25 AM
Aslan:

Thanks for your input! Especially after reading your awesome RHoD campaign journal (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110022&highlight=Eberron+RHoD), I'm glad to get feedback from someone with such a cool take on Eberron. If I may, here's my feedback to your feedback:

RE: #1 (Rule the Planes)

I think this sounds like the tightest-knit idea. It's not the one I like the most, mind you, but it's a solid one.

Thanks, it was the initial idea (and what I may wind up going with). I think it has the possibility to be the most epic (save the worlds
, instead of save the world). Also, I thought that, to incorporate Deathlessness I would have the killer attempt to go after Lady Vol, with the party following after to find out that he was successful and has become a lich himself.

RE: #2 (Viva La Revolution)

I find it a bit difficult to suspend disbelief here---the dragonmarked houses are massive corporations that likely have established lines of successions. Simple murders won't be enough to destroy them. To destroy them, you need to force them to turn on each other and disrupt their fragile balance. I do love this idea's potential, though--like you said, it does feel a lot like Eberron.

I was thinking that, as more dragonmarked individuals get murdered, the Houses would start turning against each other, old rivalries flaring up and new ones forming. Basically, the killer wouldn't be eliminating the Houses, but pulling out the cornerstone so that they crumble to the ground, allowing for massive political change in the upheaval of power. Also, I like the ending twist that the bad guy's end game is democracy. It seems to fit the slightly more modern feel of Eberron. Finally, I may incorporate a large corporation who's been selling gear throughout the campaign as the Big Bad, ushering in Democracy to bring a free market and, ultimately, more profit for themselves. Perhaps this could be combined with the first; the Bad Guy is trying to obtain ultimate power and the corporation is assisting him. They think that there is no danger, because they believe version #2 of the Prophecy. They think the Bad Guy will do their dirty work but receive no mystical power. Who is correct is still up for debate.

RE: #3 (Usurping the Thrones)

I'd think there are more possibilities than the paladin. A fallen celestial dragon might be a more interesting (and powerful) BBEG, considering how the paladin would lose his abilities. Also consider that "the greater good" ethic is quite utilitarian and is actually quite far from the paladin ideal. A cleric is more tenable as a villain in this case due to the relaxed cleric ethos in Eberron. What one could do is have the Paladin actually doing what is good and right, except that it rocks the boat of the political infrastructure and the powers that be don't approve of this.

I agree that the paladin would be weak in terms of motivation...I just need someone very lawful who believes that their liege could control all of Eberron. Out of all the options, this one is my least favorite, as it seems like a more monarchic spin on #2. I like your spin on it a lot more. Maybe the paladin/cleric/dragon could be a false suspect, trying to protect the victims?

RE: #4 (Clash of the Titans)

This one I'm a bit ambivalent about. It's also a bit weird to say that Siberys is being lead, considering that well, Siberys himself is dead. I know it's figurative, but it just seems odd to me. I think any of the ideas can potentially have the killer getting the prophecy wrong, but this particular idea doesn't strike me strongly in any way.

This idea was really designed to appeal to the combat-hound in my group. He was just saying last week that we've never had a full-scale war in our group. I thought it might be interesting to have a huge clash of the heavens vs. the underworld, angels vs. demons at the end, with the party fighting on the side of good.

Any other feedback or new ideas are welcome from all.

Delivery Ninja
2010-06-05, 11:20 AM
I think you'll find this helpful. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20041227a)

Out of the ideas you've presented, I think 2 has the most plotline potential, especially since, if they decide to side against the killer, the party could wind up with Erandis Vol on their side. (She's looking for surviving members of her family line who bear the Mark of Death, so that she can start up House Vol. If there's anyone like that in existence, the killer might want them dead, thus having the party's goals coincide with Vol's...)

One of the Lords of Dust might even get in on the act, depending on how things go. It's definitely a plotline with some real possibilities.