PDA

View Full Version : Is Fearsome Armor Worth It? [3.5]

Your Nemesis
2010-06-03, 05:14 PM
Ok, so the fearsome armor enhancement is from DotU and allows you to intimidate as a move action. Is is worth it?

Greenish
2010-06-03, 05:16 PM
If you have fear synergy, sure. Basic Shaken isn't anything to write home about, but properly build intimidator is pretty awesome.

Your Nemesis
2010-06-03, 05:19 PM
Sorry, I forgot to post my build:

Savage Bard 4/Mindbender 1/Savage Bard 3//Dread Necromancer 8

This guy is really focused on fear of all kinds, has haunting melody, inspire awe, imperious command, and fell frighten. I know that I want it eventually, but is it worth it for an 8th level character's wealth by level?

Gnaeus
2010-06-03, 05:20 PM
Did Drow of the Underdark come out after MIC? Which version of Fearsome is RAW?

Starbuck_II
2010-06-03, 09:43 PM

They do entirely difference things.

DoUD lets you intimidate as move action
MIC lets you 3/day, swift (command), 20 ft area radius around self, every creature perceives worst nightmare, panicked 1 rd. Successful DC 16 Will save makes shaken 1 rd.

It is pretty nice in MIC, but I don't think they supercece each other. They stack I think.

Curmudgeon
2010-06-03, 09:58 PM
Since it's in the same category with the same name, the most recent version obsoletes the older one. Drow of the Underdark came out 2 months after Magic Item Compendium, so that's the current version of fearsome.

TheOOB
2010-06-03, 09:59 PM
Both are RAW, they are just different abilities with the same name

Curmudgeon
2010-06-03, 10:16 PM
Both are RAW, they are just different abilities with the same name
Sorry, but that's not the way the game works. WotC's update rule says that for an item in the same category (prestige class, armor property, spell, feat, magic item, or whatnot) with the same name, you're prohibited from using any older version if your game uses any part of the source (usually a book) that includes the updated item.

That means you can't use the powerful Expert Tactician feat from Song and Silence if you use Complete Adventurer, where the much different feat of the same name appears. And so you can use fearsome from Magic Item Compendium, but not if anybody in your game uses Drow of the Underdark. You most definitely can't use two different versions of fearsome in one game.

Olo Demonsbane
2010-06-03, 10:21 PM
Sorry, I forgot to post my build:

Savage Bard 4/Mindbender 1/Savage Bard 3//Dread Necromancer 8

This guy is really focused on fear of all kinds, has haunting melody, inspire awe, imperious command, and fell frighten. I know that I want it eventually, but is it worth it for an 8th level character's wealth by level?

Yes, it is worth it. You can now cast a spell AND make someone cower every single round. Assuming moderate optimization of intimidate, you utterly destroy every single boss fight...and are an extremely valuble asset in every fight.

kabof
2010-06-03, 11:20 PM
Sorry, but that's not the way the game works. WotC's update rule says that for an item in the same category (prestige class, armor property, spell, feat, magic item, or whatnot) with the same name, you're prohibited from using any older version if your game uses any part of the source (usually a book) that includes the updated item.

That means you can't use the powerful Expert Tactician feat from Song and Silence if you use Complete Adventurer, where the much different feat of the same name appears. And so you can use fearsome from Magic Item Compendium, but not if anybody in your game uses Drow of the Underdark. You most definitely can't use two different versions of fearsome in one game.
...or maybe you can just ask your DM to rename te oldest feat/armor/etc. WotC will not send ninjas to stop you from playing a "prohibited" version of D&D.

Tar Palantir
2010-06-04, 01:06 AM
...or maybe you can just ask your DM to rename te oldest feat/armor/etc. WotC will not send ninjas to stop you from playing a "prohibited" version of D&D.

Are you so sure about that?

Oh god, they're herafdjlk

Vulaas
2010-06-04, 07:40 AM
If for no other reason than to get here and say it before Shneekey does, yes it is worth it, as there are very many horrific things you can do with your standard action each round, and not nearly so many for move actions. This gives you more options.

Greenish
2010-06-04, 07:42 AM
WotC will not send ninjas to stop you from playing a "prohibited" version of D&D.True, they won't send ninjas. They'll send Swordsages.

Marriclay
2010-06-04, 07:47 AM
True, they won't send ninjas. They'll send Swordsages.

warforged swordsages, so that they never stop coming, never getting tired, never getting hungry... like the terminator

Greenish
2010-06-04, 07:52 AM
warforged swordsages, so that they never stop coming, never getting tired, never getting hungry... like the terminatorWarforged swordsages with Regeneration not pierced by any damage type and immunity to non-lethal damage.

kabof
2010-06-04, 08:35 AM
True, they won't send ninjas. They'll send Swordsages.
...stupid anime book. :smalltongue:
[/sarcasm]